Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thamel: Arlington and the WAC
Bookmark and Share
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
Thamel: Arlington and the WAC
Makes sense for the WAC especially with RGV adding football; it does not hurt to add a non football at present

01-05-2022 10:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
RE: Thamel: Arlington and the WAC
Good add, just more mouths to feed. Sucks for them, as I think they would have been better off just remaining in the WAC and never going to the Sun Belt.
01-05-2022 10:23 PM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

(01-05-2022 10:23 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Good add, just more mouths to feed. Sucks for them, as I think they would have been better off just remaining in the WAC and never going to the Sun Belt.

It’s no more mouths than you have now

SUU replaces Chicago St
Arlington, UIW replace Sam and NMSU
(UTRGV adding football)
01-05-2022 10:55 PM
WACfan86 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTRGV
Dang start the count!!! 05-mafia05-mafia05-mafia05-mafia05-mafia03-nutkick03-nutkick03-nutkick03-nutkick03-nutkick

(01-05-2022 10:55 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  
(01-05-2022 10:23 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Good add, just more mouths to feed. Sucks for them, as I think they would have been better off just remaining in the WAC and never going to the Sun Belt.

SUU replaces Chicago St
(UTRGV adding football)
01-05-2022 11:08 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(01-05-2022 10:55 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  

SUU replaces Chicago St
(UTRGV adding football)

True, but you could have let it be and not added them.
01-05-2022 11:46 PM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
Very good add if it happens. Will give the conference a cushion in case CUSA circles back and adds another Texas WAC member.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2022 12:50 AM by HawaiiMongoose.)
01-06-2022 12:48 AM
Advertisement

TexasTerror Offline
1st String

(01-06-2022 12:48 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  Very good add if it happens. Will give the conference a cushion in case CUSA circles back and adds another Texas WAC member.

Yes but that would not be a good thing for football

SUU
DSU
SFA
ACU
Tarleton
UIW
Lamar
RGV

You’ve got eight football schools at this point when RGV adds. Nine is optimal so the CUSA or whomever picking a football school doesn’t help that situation. Your next add if you take Arlington would have to be football and at that point, you are looking at Commerce? Doubt you want HBU and McNeese doesn’t seem interested since they control the Southland. Don’t feel you can get a Big Sky school at this point with more distinct Texas lean
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2022 07:56 AM by TexasTerror.)
01-06-2022 07:56 AM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
It also gives us an unbalanced basketball schedule with 13 teams. This only makes sense to me if we add an additional school or we lose one.
01-06-2022 08:50 AM
YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NMSU
I think UTA is a good add and should be taken by the WAC if they are interested. I can see the Big 12 adding two more schools in the coming 3-4 years. At that time there will be yet another shuffle.
01-06-2022 09:52 AM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(01-06-2022 08:50 AM)TexanFan Wrote:  It also gives us an unbalanced basketball schedule with 13 teams. This only makes sense to me if we add an additional school or we lose one.

BIG BRAIN WAC bringing in another North Texas school for when Tarleton leaves for FBS. 05-stirthepot

Honestly though, having an annual game in Tarrant County is great for Tarleton. I look forward to the game starting the Silver Bugle Series with them.
01-06-2022 10:09 AM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
(01-06-2022 07:56 AM)TexasTerror Wrote:  
(01-06-2022 12:48 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  Very good add if it happens. Will give the conference a cushion in case CUSA circles back and adds another Texas WAC member.

SUU
DSU
SFA
ACU
Tarleton
UIW
Lamar
RGV

You’ve got eight football schools at this point when RGV adds. Nine is optimal so the CUSA or whomever picking a football school doesn’t help that situation. Your next add if you take Arlington would have to be football and at that point, you are looking at Commerce? Doubt you want HBU and McNeese doesn’t seem interested since they control the Southland. Don’t feel you can get a Big Sky school at this point with more distinct Texas lean

I suspect that the WAC will do it's best to get UTA to reinstate FCS football. I have always said that if UTA has football, that it should be FCS. They will never compete in the D/FW market with the FBS schools. They will not have the budget.
01-06-2022 10:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TexanFan Offline
1st String

(01-06-2022 10:09 AM)chrisattsu Wrote:  
(01-06-2022 08:50 AM)TexanFan Wrote:  It also gives us an unbalanced basketball schedule with 13 teams. This only makes sense to me if we add an additional school or we lose one.

BIG BRAIN WAC bringing in another North Texas school for when Tarleton leaves for FBS. 05-stirthepot

Honestly though, having an annual game in Tarrant County is great for Tarleton. I look forward to the game starting the Silver Bugle Series with them.

I think UTA is a great add, but it leaves us with an unbalanced league if we are creating two divisions.

I love the renewing of the rivalry with JTAC and NTAC. Let’s start stealing cannons and flying planes to burn opposing bonfires again.
01-06-2022 12:06 PM
RT98 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTA,Tx A&M
(01-06-2022 12:06 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  

I think UTA is a great add, but it leaves us with an unbalanced league if we are creating two divisions.

I love the renewing of the rivalry with JTAC and NTAC. Let’s start stealing cannons and flying planes to burn opposing bonfires again.

Yes that would be great. I do hope the WAC will give us an invite. I look forward to renewing some of our old rivalries and creating new ones. I think our basketball will improve.
01-06-2022 12:10 PM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs

You have unbalanced divisions already for football. For basketball you don't need divisions. What's the problem? I think the WAC should abolish Divisions completely.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2022 12:47 PM by SMUstang.)
01-06-2022 12:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TallTexan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SFA, UT
UTA isn't the hottest team around, but a 40k person state school with basketball history 20 minutes from a giant airport?

Almost a no brainer for the WAC. And our SFA DFW alums will like an annual basketball and other sports game, as will the coaches.

But I do wonder what the Wac's strategy is. Obviously you can't help getting poached, but do future teams come from the Mountain Time Zone? Are there any? Continuing to expand in Texas/OK/Ark region?

Do the western contingent worry about a conference that will now be majority Texas?
01-06-2022 12:39 PM
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
(01-06-2022 12:39 PM)TallTexan Wrote:  UTA isn't the hottest team around, but a 40k person state school with basketball history 20 minutes from a giant airport?

Almost a no brainer for the WAC. And our SFA DFW alums will like an annual basketball and other sports game, as will the coaches.

But I do wonder what the Wac's strategy is. Obviously you can't help getting poached, but do future teams come from the Mountain Time Zone? Are there any? Continuing to expand in Texas/OK/Ark region?

Do the western contingent worry about a conference that will now be majority Texas?

Strategy and tactics sometimes have to be altered to reflect facts on the ground. Fact: persuading western schools to join the WAC has not not gibe well. Virtuality every Big Sky school has closed the door in our faces.
01-06-2022 12:47 PM
Advertisement

TexasTerror Offline
1st String

(01-06-2022 12:39 PM)TallTexan Wrote:  UTA isn't the hottest team around, but a 40k person state school with basketball history 20 minutes from a giant airport?

Agree with all the above.

Even for the one year overlap that Sam Houston has with Texas-Arlington, this is great news as it's more exposure in the DFW area (Sam has been working to grow this to some degree, albeit it will never be what it is in Houston).

Certainly for the schools out "west" having an accessible school like Arlington is good for them as they can reach DFW or Love Field from just about any airport in America on a direct flight.
01-06-2022 12:56 PM
HoustonCat Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ACU

I can't speak for the fans of the western schools, but one of the reasons the conference find Texas schools so attractive is due to the economy. Texas is very strong in that area.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2022 01:07 PM by HoustonCat.)
01-06-2022 01:07 PM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

(01-06-2022 12:29 PM)SMUstang Wrote:  

You have unbalanced divisions already for football. For basketball you don't need divisions. What's the problem? I think the WAC should abolish Divisions completely.

An example of the unbalanced schedule, Tarleton will play Utah Valley twice and Dixie once. For the conference standings, we have a harder schedule because we are playing the stronger team twice and the weaker team once. For Utah Valley, they are playing Tarleton twice and ACU once. Again they get the weaker team twice and the stronger team once. This gives UVU an easier schedule and path for tournament seedlings. If we have a balanced league, everyone plays the same teams the same number of times.

And yes, I know we are not eligible for the tournament this year but we are next year.
01-06-2022 01:33 PM
SammyH Offline
Banned

I Root For: Sam Houston St
(01-06-2022 10:44 AM)SMUstang Wrote:  
(01-06-2022 07:56 AM)TexasTerror Wrote:  

SUU
DSU
SFA
ACU
Tarleton
UIW
Lamar
RGV

I suspect that the WAC will do it's best to get UTA to reinstate FCS football. I have always said that if UTA has football, that it should be FCS. They will never compete in the D/FW market with the FBS schools. They will not have the budget.
Well ****, since YOU have always said it, and you typed it in blue, I guess UTA adding football is inevitable.
01-06-2022 01:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.