Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN President Burke Magnus talks SEC deal plus thoughts on Big Ten, CFP Playoffs
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
ESPN President Burke Magnus talks SEC deal plus thoughts on Big Ten, CFP Playoffs
https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/burke-m...ights.html

Bullet points:
  • Says that he doesn't expect ESPN to take the last years CBS has on the current SEC contract
  • He wants to continue the network's relationship with the Big Ten but doesn't know what form would it take for the next contract (solely controlled vs shared with others)
  • In the podcast, he says that the move by Texas and Oklahoma may have derailed the process of expanding the CFB playoffs but mentions that they will figure out a way in the future
  • also mentioning that he's open to sharing games with other networks in an expanded playoff scenario

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/es...0549632836
02-06-2022 08:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: ESPN President Burke Magnus talks SEC deal plus thoughts on Big Ten, CFP Playoffs
(02-06-2022 08:18 AM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/burke-m...ights.html

Bullet points:
  • Says that he doesn't expect ESPN to take the last years CBS has on the current SEC contract
  • He wants to continue the network's relationship with the Big Ten but doesn't know what form would it take for the next contract (solely controlled vs shared with others)
  • In the podcast, he says that the move by Texas and Oklahoma may have derailed the process of expanding the CFB playoffs but mentions that they will figure out a way in the future
  • also mentioning that he's open to sharing games with other networks in an expanded playoff scenario

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/es...0549632836

What else could he really say? If CBS goes after the Big 10's T1 rights and ESPN want's them they can't tip their hand and say so. And if ESPN shows interest in acquiring the SEC early it only makes the bargaining more difficult. And if ESPN has a desire in growing the playoffs, and owning them, they certainly can't say so. And if a super conference is formed and other conferences are raided, they can't admit that either as it has to appear organic.

I don't think he told us anything other than all options are possible, and that ESPN will not admit to any of them and will appear cooperative until they aren't.

That said, he also said, by bothering to comment, that he's thinking about all of it.
02-06-2022 12:20 PM
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
RE: ESPN President Burke Magnus talks SEC deal plus thoughts on Big Ten, CFP Playoffs
From The Athletic this month -- here's Burke Magnus on ESPN's interest in the B1G:

“We go way back with the Big Ten — 1966 was the first time we had a Big Ten game on ABC. There was no ESPN at that point, obviously. We have been through a ton together. We have been their exclusive rightsholder. We have shared. We have lived through the advent of the Big Ten Network and Fox, ESPN, ABC and the Big Ten Network make an incredible combination right now. We intend to pursue it aggressively. It fits perfectly into our portfolio. … Those teams also compete for NCAA championships in virtually every sport and we own a lot of NCAA championships in a variety of sports. It’s perfect for us, and we hope very much to continue.

Wouldn't be shocked if ESPN makes an effort to gobble up the whole enchilada, including buying up Fox's share of the Big Ten Network.

Remember, nobody saw ESPN buying up Fox's regional sports networks in 2017. And then it happened.
02-11-2022 07:03 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-11-2022 07:03 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  From The Athletic this month -- here's Burke Magnus on ESPN's interest in the B1G:

“We go way back with the Big Ten — 1966 was the first time we had a Big Ten game on ABC. There was no ESPN at that point, obviously. We have been through a ton together. We have been their exclusive rightsholder. We have shared. We have lived through the advent of the Big Ten Network and Fox, ESPN, ABC and the Big Ten Network make an incredible combination right now. We intend to pursue it aggressively. It fits perfectly into our portfolio. … Those teams also compete for NCAA championships in virtually every sport and we own a lot of NCAA championships in a variety of sports. It’s perfect for us, and we hope very much to continue.

Wouldn't be shocked if ESPN makes an effort to gobble up the whole enchilada, including buying up Fox's share of the Big Ten Network.

Remember, nobody saw ESPN buying up Fox's regional sports networks in 2017. And then it happened.

It's possible, but I think ESPN has exactly what they want, some T1 rights and some 2nd choices. Remember that 72.4% of their value is to be had in 6 schools: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Iowa and smart technology merely reinforces that.

ESPN+ had a heckuva nice increase and the average subscription fee is up to $5.13 per household. Disney had a nice profit from the bundle last year.

If ESPN does go after all of it we could be looking at a P2, or P3, depending on if they also go after the PAC 12.

If they do go hard for all of the B1G Notre Dame is trapped. If they don't Notre Dame's continued independence is cinched.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022 07:26 PM by JRsec.)
02-11-2022 07:24 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
(02-11-2022 07:03 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  From The Athletic this month -- here's Burke Magnus on ESPN's interest in the B1G:

Maybe. Maybe not. We do have a consistently competitive basketball conference, even though no NCAA championships in over twenty years. And despite Maryland and Michigan being down we're expecting about 4 or 5 entries into the field this season, maybe 6 if things go right.

Moreover, Warren did opine (in a thread I opened a few threads down) that he expects basketball to factor majorly in the next realignment round.

My issues with the 4-letter network come down to these:

- With so many properties they already have, would they treat the Big Ten with the proper respect? We are a collection of 14 programs, with varying sports programs, with a massive alumni base and scattered throughout the world. Since Disney has already invested massive amounts in other conferences, it's an open question where they would prioritize from here forward. If the recent past is any indication, the Big Ten may not get the right exposure if brought under one network.

- Any lingering bad blood when Delany was commissioner. He spearheaded the creation of the Big Ten Network because he knew he had content that was more valuable than they were offered at the time. How Warren deals with Disney will determine how the president will perceive his stewardship.

- Why didn't Disney buy BTN when Fox Corp. was selling all those assets to them? Unless Fox Corp. purposely withheld BTN from the sale, that's a big mystery to me.

- What are their plans for the Pac-12 and Big 12?

- Would they push more games into the streaming platform? Would they even want the Tier 1 games?

For many reasons I don't think they can put all of that content under one umbrella even if they want to. I don't know how "aggressive" they want to be. Remember, Fox really pushed hard to make sure they get to air Ohio State and Michigan on their OTA network and created Big Noon to promote the Big Ten. The Big Ten presidents have to appreciate that.

I would look at the comments from Warren on basketball again. https://csnbbs.com/thread-931524.html
https://dailyiowan.com/2021/10/07/big-te...onference/
02-11-2022 09:54 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I’m a pretty large believer that the Big Ten will stay on ESPN in some form. They need each other even though they don’t necessarily love each other. Believe me that the relationship between the NFL and ESPN was totally in the tank but they still ended up doing business with each. A continuation of the current split between Fox and ESPN is way more likely than either ESPN buying back all of the Big Ten rights or the Big Ten leaving ESPN entirely. My guess is that the status quo (or something very close to it) will continue, albeit with larger contract revenue figures.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2022 12:31 AM by Frank the Tank.)
02-12-2022 12:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

(02-11-2022 07:24 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

It's possible, but I think ESPN has exactly what they want, some T1 rights and some 2nd choices. Remember that 72.4% of their value is to be had in 6 schools: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Iowa and smart technology merely reinforces that.

ESPN+ had a heckuva nice increase and the average subscription fee is up to $5.13 per household. Disney had a nice profit from the bundle last year.

If ESPN does go after all of it we could be looking at a P2, or P3, depending on if they also go after the PAC 12.

If they do go hard for all of the B1G Notre Dame is trapped. If they don't Notre Dame's continued independence is cinched.

I don’t think ND independence is impacted one way or the other re: the Big Ten TV contract. Remember that ESPN actually had the whole Big Ten first tier contract for over 20 years up until the current Fox/ESPN deal started. For whatever reason, people are forgetting just how much Big Ten content that ESPN had up until very recently and still have now.
02-12-2022 12:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-12-2022 12:35 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

I don’t think ND independence is impacted one way or the other re: the Big Ten TV contract. Remember that ESPN actually had the whole Big Ten first tier contract for over 20 years up until the current Fox/ESPN deal started. For whatever reason, people are forgetting just how much Big Ten content that ESPN had up until very recently and still have now.

Frank, I stated if they bought all of the Big 10 rights ND would be trapped.
They now have all of the ACC's and SEC's rights and I'm guessing they go for all of the new B12's. ND is only more valuable to ESPN as an Indy if they don't have total control of the B1G in which case ND is a backdoor into some B1G markets. If ND sticks it out with NBC sure they can soldier on. But scheduling could become a big issue, especially in a world of 9 game conference slates.

Either way it will be worth keeping an eye on it.
02-12-2022 12:48 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

By the way, to the extent that ESPN goes after more or all of the Big Ten package, I really don’t think it has to do with control over college football per se. Instead, it’s pretty simple: FS1 losing Big Ten games could essentially eliminate that network as a viable competitor entirely (or at least cut it down more to a CBS Sports Network level entity). *That* would be a much more compelling reason why ESPN would open its checkbook wide open beyond the inherent value of Big Ten games.

Now, I’m fairly certain that the Big Ten is going to want to continue having as many OTA games as it does now on ABC and Fox plus CBS for basketball. I can’t see any cutback on those and, if anything, they will increase in the next contract. That will likely require multiple partners at that top OTA level since ABC is already committed to at least one OTA SEC game a week. However, it’s conceivable that ESPN could provide a home for games that would have otherwise been on FS1. At least in my mind, the mothership ESPN channel is way more exposure than FS1. Instead, FS1 is more like being put on ESPN2. ESPN+ is also an infinitely better streaming platform than BTN+ when it comes to Olympic sports. I think the Big Ten has content there (particularly hockey games) where there isn’t enough room on linear BTN and could be monetized better on a wider streaming platform like ESPN+.

By the way, Fox kept ownership of BTN since it was a potential antitrust issue if they got sold to Disney. ESPN has sports network market power for antitrust purposes, so neither FS1 nor BTN could be sold to Disney. Note that the Fox regional networks were sold to Disney but then Disney was mandated to sell them very quickly (ultimately to Sinclair) because of antitrust issues, too.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2022 12:59 AM by Frank the Tank.)
02-12-2022 12:56 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-12-2022 12:56 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  By the way, to the extent that ESPN goes after more or all of the Big Ten package, I really don’t think it has to do with control over college football per se. Instead, it’s pretty simple: FS1 losing Big Ten games could essentially eliminate that network as a viable competitor entirely (or at least cut it down more to a CBS Sports Network level entity). *That* would be a much more compelling reason why ESPN would open its checkbook wide open beyond the inherent value of Big Ten games.

Now, I’m fairly certain that the Big Ten is going to want to continue having as many OTA games as it does now on ABC and Fox plus CBS for basketball. I can’t see any cutback on those and, if anything, they will increase in the next contract. That will likely require multiple partners at that top OTA level since ABC is already committed to at least one OTA SEC game a week. However, it’s conceivable that ESPN could provide a home for games that would have otherwise been on FS1. At least in my mind, the mothership ESPN channel is way more exposure than FS1. Instead, FS1 is more like being put on ESPN2. ESPN+ is also an infinitely better streaming platform than BTN+ when it comes to Olympic sports. I think the Big Ten has content there (particularly hockey games) where there isn’t enough room on linear BTN and could be monetized better on a wider streaming platform like ESPN+.

By the way, Fox kept ownership of BTN since it was a potential antitrust issue if they got sold to Disney. ESPN has sports network market power for antitrust purposes, so neither FS1 nor BTN could be sold to Disney. Note that the Fox regional networks were sold to Disney but then Disney was mandated to sell them very quickly (ultimately to Sinclair) because of antitrust issues, too.

The last paragraph I was well acquainted with already. Certainly, ESPN has deep enough pockets. My gut tells me they go for what they currently have, which nicely meets their needs, as does a couple of PAC 12 games a week. We'll know by this time next year.
02-12-2022 01:14 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(02-12-2022 12:48 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-12-2022 12:35 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

Frank, I stated if they bought all of the Big 10 rights ND would be trapped.
They now have all of the ACC's and SEC's rights and I'm guessing they go for all of the new B12's. ND is only more valuable to ESPN as an Indy if they don't have total control of the B1G in which case ND is a backdoor into some B1G markets. If ND sticks it out with NBC sure they can soldier on. But scheduling could become a big issue, especially in a world of 9 game conference slates.

Either way it will be worth keeping an eye on it.

ND and NBC have a 30+ year relationship. ND has NEVER taken its home TV rights to the open market since the original NBC deal was signed in 1990.

ND will likely renew with NBC next year. I am hoping for a traditional five year deal, not the ten year one agreed to in 2013 for the 2015-25 time period.

ND likes the coast to coast OTA coverage plus the (mostly) dedicated 2:30 p.m. --6:00 p.m. time slots, something that ESPN may be unwilling or unable to provide due to its contractual obligations and inventory.

The NBC deal is usually renewed about two years prior to expiration, so look to 2023 to see what is happening there.
02-12-2022 08:04 AM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

ABC/ESPN couldn't handle the influx of inventory with the entirety of the B1G's portfolio, even with the Big Ten network for overflow.

The biggest loser in the sale of the FOX regional sports networks was the Federal Government. The "sale" was an asset swap which allowed Murdoch to avoid a huge tax bill for capital gains.
02-14-2022 05:46 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
ESPN has an exclusive window for the Big Ten. Not sure if FOX does as well.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB...02/14.aspx

John Ourand discusses the possibility of not only CBS but NBC (!) bidding on the Big Ten.
02-14-2022 11:07 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Two observations:
The ACC's participation in "the Alliance" will give ESPN access to B1G content without having to pay for it.
Notre Dame's association with the ACC will continue to give ESPN access to to mid-western markets without the B1G.
02-15-2022 06:00 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(02-15-2022 06:00 AM)XLance Wrote:  Two observations:
The ACC's participation in "the Alliance" will give ESPN access to B1G content without having to pay for it.
Notre Dame's association with the ACC will continue to give ESPN access to to mid-western markets without the B1G.

Agreed. Admittedly, I have no idea what's been discussed behind closed doors between the ACC and ESPN, but this isn't all bad for ESPN (and I wouldn't close the door on CFP expansion, either - but if the ACC wants to make sure they get compensated, that's no different from the SEC!)
02-15-2022 09:07 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-15-2022 09:07 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Agreed. Admittedly, I have no idea what's been discussed behind closed doors between the ACC and ESPN, but this isn't all bad for ESPN (and I wouldn't close the door on CFP expansion, either - but if the ACC wants to make sure they get compensated, that's no different from the SEC!)

Don't make me laugh! Clemson / Ohio State is access ESPN wants. Maybe FSU / Michigan. Then what would they show which would be on a platform above ESPN2 or U?

As to ND and the ESPN goal of keeping a backdoor in the Northern Midwest I would adamantly suggest that ESPN best does this by outbidding NBC for ND home games and then assisting the Irish with scheduling. This is a win / win for ESPN 8 weekends vs a max of 3 with the ACC arrangement and ND stays INDY with ESPN lobbying for at large CFP slots which the SEC will surely push.

What's not a win win is Clemson, or FSU/Miami, vs the ACC field. ESPN is bleeding profit and ratings because of it. X and UNC administration know what they are facing. I find it odd that the worst possible fate for the mid-tier schools in the ACC is the just find a way to hang in philosophy. Many of you would have much brighter futures if shed of it. Fear of the unknown is all that is holding you back.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2022 12:47 PM by JRsec.)
02-15-2022 12:45 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(02-15-2022 12:45 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Don't make me laugh! Clemson / Ohio State is access ESPN wants. Maybe FSU / Michigan. Then what would they show which would be on a platform above ESPN2 or U?

As to ND and the ESPN goal of keeping a backdoor in the Northern Midwest I would adamantly suggest that ESPN best does this by outbidding NBC for ND home games and then assisting the Irish with scheduling. This is a win / win for ESPN 8 weekends vs a max of 3 with the ACC arrangement and ND stays INDY with ESPN lobbying for at large CFP slots which the SEC will surely push.

What's not a win win is Clemson, or FSU/Miami, vs the ACC field. ESPN is bleeding profit and ratings because of it. X and UNC administration know what they are facing. I find it odd that the worst possible fate for the mid-tier schools in the ACC is the just find a way to hang in philosophy. Many of you would have much brighter futures if shed of it. Fear of the unknown is all that is holding you back.

JR, you missed the point of my post. The issue that the ACC might (and should) be concerned about is compensation for the increase in value of the ACC FCG! The SEC is already highly-compensated, and the Big Ten, Big XII, and Pac-12 are all coming up for renewal, but the ACC would get nothing (unless they negotiate it NOW).

As for ESPN bidding for Notre Dame, you can ask Terry, but I suspect that is an absolute non-starter. The Irish want to stay on OTA broadcast TV, but ABC is almost locked up thanks to the new SEC contract.
02-15-2022 01:38 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-15-2022 01:38 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

JR, you missed the point of my post. The issue that the ACC might (and should) be concerned about is compensation for the increase in value of the ACC FCG! The SEC is already highly-compensated, and the Big Ten, Big XII, and Pac-12 are all coming up for renewal, but the ACC would get nothing (unless they negotiate it NOW).

As for ESPN bidding for Notre Dame, you can ask Terry, but I suspect that is an absolute non-starter. The Irish want to stay on OTA broadcast TV, but ABC is almost locked up thanks to the new SEC contract.

I responded to your stated ESPN motives with regard to ND being an entry to Northern Midwestern cities.

Terry D is a mossback Irish fan who will be right on Independence but wrong about NBC. The threat against Irish independence is scheduling. Only one provider can help in that regard. And that same network will likely retain a great deal of influence over the CFP structure and format and it sure isn't NBC. NBC is the Achilles Heel of ND. The contract is good, not great. NBC needs more splash than half the Irish games bring. NBC doesn't have a stake in the CFP. There is only 1 network which could assist Irish scheduling and influence a post season to include their possible inclusion.

ND's deal with the ACC is a trial courtship which ESPN will not screw up.

ESPN has the SEC, has added Texas and Oklahoma to it, and with ND in scheduling arrangements with those schools, and some in the ACC, ESPN could likely have ND for 10 games a year by buying their home slate. Then they would have any games scheduled with the SEC and ACC and have USC every other year and likely a B1G school every other year as well.

That's insurance should another network seek more of the B1G's rights.

ESPN has Clemson and Miami and FSU, and you guys they need to have in better games. Division-less solves some of that. They have UNC, Duke, and UVA and Syracuse as hoops brands. Two of those have faded, one is fading, and the most successful is losing its coach.

ESPN's bigger concern now is how to save those hoops brands and maximize the value of those 4 football programs. What does Occam's razor suggest? You have 8 schools who could be maximized in value. You have 3 neutral values in the next tier of the ACC and you have 3 which lag, and you have a slither of ND. Now you are the CEO and you have to allocate funds. As CEO I would go hard for Irish home games and improve their schedule. That's national eyes and bigger profits. Then I'd maximize my 4 potential football products and consider how many hoops brands and which ones I wanted to elevate. I'd cut the rest.

So you have 7 programs you see as a must keep. UNC and Va Tech deliver the most eyeballs in a 20 million combined market. Clemson, FSU, and Miami are worth a lot more elsewhere playing more must watch games and playing each other annually. Triple dipping Florida with top brands is money. Maybe Duke as a brand, UVa as a UNC/VaTech bud, or maybe NCState makes it 6, maybe. You have 5 ACC schools and 4 SEC slots. The rest is business and negotiations.
02-15-2022 02:12 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(02-15-2022 02:12 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-15-2022 01:38 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

I responded to your stated ESPN motives with regard to ND being an entry to Northern Midwestern cities.

Terry D is a mossback Irish fan who will be right on Independence but wrong about NBC. The threat against Irish independence is scheduling. Only one provider can help in that regard. And that same network will likely retain a great deal of influence over the CFP structure and format and it sure isn't NBC. NBC is the Achilles Heel of ND. The contract is good, not great. NBC needs more splash than half the Irish games bring. NBC doesn't have a stake in the CFP. There is only 1 network which could assist Irish scheduling and influence a post season to include their possible inclusion.

ND's deal with the ACC is a trial courtship which ESPN will not screw up.

ESPN has the SEC, has added Texas and Oklahoma to it, and with ND in scheduling arrangements with those schools, and some in the ACC, ESPN could likely have ND for 10 games a year by buying their home slate. Then they would have any games scheduled with the SEC and ACC and have USC every other year and likely a B1G school every other year as well.

That's insurance should another network seek more of the B1G's rights.

ESPN has Clemson and Miami and FSU, and you guys they need to have in better games. Division-less solves some of that. They have UNC, Duke, and UVA and Syracuse as hoops brands. Two of those have faded, one is fading, and the most successful is losing its coach.

ESPN's bigger concern now is how to save those hoops brands and maximize the value of those 4 football programs. What does Occam's razor suggest? You have 8 schools who could be maximized in value. You have 3 neutral values in the next tier of the ACC and you have 3 which lag, and you have a slither of ND. Now you are the CEO and you have to allocate funds. As CEO I would go hard for Irish home games and improve their schedule. That's national eyes and bigger profits. Then I'd maximize my 4 potential football products and consider how many hoops brands and which ones I wanted to elevate. I'd cut the rest.

So you have 7 programs you see as a must keep. UNC and Va Tech deliver the most eyeballs in a 20 million combined market. Clemson, FSU, and Miami are worth a lot more elsewhere playing more must watch games and playing each other annually. Triple dipping Florida with top brands is money. Maybe Duke as a brand, UVa as a UNC/VaTech bud, or maybe NCState makes it 6, maybe. You have 5 ACC schools and 4 SEC slots. The rest is business and negotiations.

JR, I think the flaw in your analysis when it comes to Notre Dame is believing that football is a business to them. Would partnering with ESPN make better business sense? Absolutely. But nobody has left more football money on the table knowingly and willingly than the Irish. Because football is important, but not the be all and end all to Notre Dame and its institutional mission, they can't be counted on or expected to make decisions about it the way other schools will.

I believe as long as they still have an opportunity to compete for a national championship, I don't expect them to change they way they do business, even if it means leaving millions of dollars on the table.
02-15-2022 03:03 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(02-15-2022 03:03 PM)ken d Wrote:  Would partnering with ESPN make better business sense? Absolutely. But nobody has left more football money on the table knowingly and willingly than the Irish.

Maybe Notre Dame hasn't left money on the table. Maybe they know that their major donors value football independence so much that they would donate a lot less money to Notre Dame if the university gave up on football independence.

It's not just donations to the athletic department that could be impacted, donations to the university general fund might go down if big donors became less enthusiastic about Notre Dame.

If Notre Dame could make $20 million/year more as a member of the Big Ten but doing so cost them $40 million/year in athletic and non-athletic donations, then they are better off doing what they're doing.

As for NBC, Notre Dame probably values the guaranteed 7 or 8 over the air broadcasts a year enough to not want whatever extra money they might get from selling those games to ESPN and letting Disney decide whether to air those games on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, etc. Look at a Notre Dame home schedule and ask, how many of those games would be on ABC if Disney could put them where they want? Based on how Notre Dame's road games vs. ACC teams have been placed, the answer is, about half would be on ABC and the other half would be on other ESPN outlets. So by going with NBC, Notre Dame gets 3 or 4 more games a year on over the air network TV than they would get if Disney had their home games. And maybe that extra exposure has value for donations and value for recruiting both athletes and non-athlete students.
02-15-2022 03:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.