Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Leasing a CFB or MBB program?
Big 12 fan too Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
Leasing a CFB or MBB program?
With NIL and pay-to-play, and these P5 schools racing to make it into the P2 with $100+ million in just conference revenue, at what point do struggling ADs look to other industries and lease their programs or AD? Or do some type of swap?

What is the point of just donating from either side? The donor no ROI, and the AD with no stakeholders to pay. They simply exist to spend whatever they make and to keep fans happy with wins.

If a school isn’t keeping up via donations, could you see an AD go to donors and say, if you buy the obligation to cover the costs of the program, including x million in NIL, you get that back plus increase in revenue? Some type of tolling agreement.

Why wouldn’t the AD give up upside? They’re not for profits, and most only want to make more so they can spend more…so they can win more, so they can spend more…

With the impact of history on budgets, there are some underperforming entities out there from in essence a lack of investment. There are only so many franchises and most of these large state schools have growth potential with captive audiences. KU for example.

It beats just donating.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2022 12:50 AM by Big 12 fan too.)
04-19-2022 12:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
RE: Leasing a CFB or MBB program?
I don’t understand your proposed business model. Athletic departments are mainly the “front porch” to large universities. They merely provide curb appeal to potential students and donors.

For example, as a kid I grew up a fan of the University of Maryland’s athletic teams. I watched players such as Randy White and John Lucas with great passion. Nevertheless, as a young adult I decided to attend UVa and immediately switched allegiances. I love watching UVa sports and donate to UVa. I still attend a few games in College Park but never watch them on TV nor donate to UMCP. Both schools have had generally mediocre football, good basketball and excellent non-revenue sports during the past 50 years; and both schools are multi-billion dollar entities that have $100M athletic departments.

How does outsourcing (or leasing) the athletic department help UVa or UMCP?
04-20-2022 10:45 AM
Big 12 fan too Offline
1st String

(04-20-2022 10:45 AM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  I don’t understand your proposed business model. Athletic departments are mainly the “front porch” to large universities. They merely provide curb appeal to potential students and donors.

For example, as a kid I grew up a fan of the University of Maryland’s athletic teams. I watched players such as Randy White and John Lucas with great passion. Nevertheless, as a young adult I decided to attend UVa and immediately switched allegiances. I love watching UVa sports and donate to UVa. I still attend a few games in College Park but never watch them on TV nor donate to UMCP. Both schools have had generally mediocre football, good basketball and excellent non-revenue sports during the past 50 years; and both schools are multi-billion dollar entities that have $100M athletic departments.

How does outsourcing (or leasing) the athletic department help UVa or UMCP?
The school gets that front porch benefit either way though. The only change really is donors are able to become investors. Which should entice more influx of cash into these ADs that struggle to keep up otherwise.

The fundamental principle I’m trying to exploit is these ADs are often live to means, break even. Make more to spend more. Just share that with donors. If you go to your donor/investor base and say- we need $30 million to be above the competitive line, do you get that more likely as donations or as a swap- $30 million buy in in exchange for whatever the revenue?

As donations these places will be lucky to get $10 million. And they’ll spend accordingly, and likely compete accordingly.

Now add in the squeeze to have and have nots, and the huge implications. These fringe programs that become have’s are set to make hundreds of millions more in the next decades. The losers, likely struggling to pay debt acquired the past decade.

There is a huge delta there, which means investment opportunity. Transfer of risk in exchange for upside.

If you’re an AD at Maryland, which knowingly had budget problems, let’s say the BIG doesn’t save you. But you’re a candidate for P2. Why not lease your revenue sports to an investor/donor group that’s trying to buy the current $x million revenue business and turn it into the P2 $150 million revenue entity? Do a 10 year lease with required funding at some index (average P2 mbb and fb budget plus fixed capital costs) and adder for whatever non-revenue, plus premium, and donor-investors get upside. Will the investors make money? Perhaps not, but they have s chance to, likely break around even, and are far better off than donations. The AD gets the benefits of having budget growth without needing the cash. It’s just money management.

A similar question is why not borrow for more than facilities? Coaching and players (soon?) are the foremost inputs. Granted, right now it’s tough to get a coach without facilities, but a market leading salary can help punch above the arms race much more cost effectively. Those buildings won’t be as advantageous after the years of hiring/firing of discount coaches

Maybe they do that already to a degree. Maybe Boone Pickens did this? COVID likely helped facilitate unconventional financing. But given these are basically franchises with inherent market share, and the trimming to a upper level league, buy/lease a franchise and invest before it’s too late.

It likely already is. I can’t imagine it’s easy to get capital right now in the B12
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2022 07:53 PM by Big 12 fan too.)
04-21-2022 07:40 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(04-19-2022 12:46 AM)Big 12 fan too Wrote:  With NIL and pay-to-play, and these P5 schools racing to make it into the P2 with $100+ million in just conference revenue, at what point do struggling ADs look to other industries and lease their programs or AD? Or do some type of swap?

What is the point of just donating from either side? The donor no ROI, and the AD with no stakeholders to pay. They simply exist to spend whatever they make and to keep fans happy with wins.

If a school isn’t keeping up via donations, could you see an AD go to donors and say, if you buy the obligation to cover the costs of the program, including x million in NIL, you get that back plus increase in revenue? Some type of tolling agreement.

Why wouldn’t the AD give up upside? They’re not for profits, and most only want to make more so they can spend more…so they can win more, so they can spend more…

With the impact of history on budgets, there are some underperforming entities out there from in essence a lack of investment. There are only so many franchises and most of these large state schools have growth potential with captive audiences. KU for example.

It beats just donating.

Read this link please: https://csnbbs.com/thread-946613-post-18...id18207569
Almost forgot two not mentioned in my previous post: UPMC, and UMiami Health.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2022 02:04 AM by DawgNBama.)
04-24-2022 01:03 AM
Big 12 fan too Offline
1st String

(04-24-2022 01:03 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(04-19-2022 12:46 AM)Big 12 fan too Wrote:  With NIL and pay-to-play, and these P5 schools racing to make it into the P2 with $100+ million in just conference revenue, at what point do struggling ADs look to other industries and lease their programs or AD? Or do some type of swap?

It beats just donating.

Read this link please: https://csnbbs.com/thread-946613-post-18...id18207569
Almost forgot two not mentioned in my previous post: UPMC, and UMiami Health.
Yes, how antiquated is the donor model? COVID and NIL has put pressure on “unconventional” financing. I guess if you can swing it, it is clearly preferable by the AD.

Sounds like some ADs want to or are willing. The interesting thing is it’s not really unconventional in the rest of the world. This notion that entities with captive market share, near monopolies, and high certainties on revenue, are bound to donations.

Your examples are rather infamous but not yet leased or swaps to my knowledge. I could be wrong

The privates have been the closest to opening up funding, being more able to spend University-wide resources as they see fit. This culture should benefit them in the new era. Miami is nearly going old school, back when ADs enjoyed the capital of the overall university.
04-24-2022 05:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.