Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Appalachian State doesn't matter" - Joey Gallaway, 'College Football Final'
Bookmark and Share
Yosef181 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
"Appalachian State doesn't matter" - Joey Gallaway, 'College Football Final'
Did anyone catch this during 'College Football Final' this morning? Minutes before airing a celebratory interview with Coach Clark, Joey Gallaway, an "analyst" for the ESPN show, claimed that "Appalachian State doesn't matter" when it comes to Texas A&M. Jesse Palmer responded by saying Gallaway "is out here cancelling teams", and Gallaway shrugs it off.

Does anyone else feels like the SBC (and the rest of the G5) just can't win in the eyes of these media "analysts"? If we lose big, then the P5s shouldn't have played us, and we're a "nobody". If we win, it has to be because the P5 had a terrible performance, and we don't matter anyway. I assumed ESPN would think better of our conference given our relationship with them, but apparently not.

Watching the coverage this morning has solidified my opinion that I don't need to care about the CFP, the Top 25, the "Access Bowl", or anything else that's easily handed over to the P5. The cards are always stacked against us, no matter what, even when we win.

I'm really happy with this conference, and I'm excited the membership. We've done all that we can to become the best G5 conference as we move into the future. While they try to keep us out of their systems, we'll keep filling stadiums, and we'll continue to provide better games.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2022 03:22 PM by Yosef181.)
09-18-2022 03:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
RE: "Appalachian State doesn't matter" - Joey Gallaway, 'College Football Fi...
I think the context was that App State does NOT matter for the SEC race, and that, because of all the ranked teams left on A&M's schedule, the Aggies can still make the CFP so long as they run the table. In that sense, the App State loss won't matter.

If I'm wrong, yeah, I 100% agree with you.

Also, Joey Galloway doesn't matter. 03-nerner
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2022 10:47 PM by Michael in Raleigh.)
09-18-2022 03:24 PM
iStoopify Offline
Special Teams

RE: "Appalachian State doesn't matter" - Joey Gallaway, 'College Football Final'
He was saying A&Ms loss to us doesn’t matter for their seasons goals
09-18-2022 03:37 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: "Appalachian State doesn't matter" - Joey Gallaway, 'College Football Final'
If TAMU wins out, then, no, the App State loss doesn’t matter to them. It sure as crap mattered to them last Saturday, though, and it’ll matter if they’re a borderline playoff team.

Don’t let other people steal your joy.
09-18-2022 03:46 PM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
If App didn’t matter, Gameday wouldn’t have gone to Boone. Screw Joey Galloway. App is doing us proud. Hats off to the Mountaineers!
09-18-2022 04:07 PM
HCJag Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
I didn't see it but it does sound like he might have been talking about it in the sense of season aspirations. If you lose, it's best to lose early in the season like they did. If they run the rest of their schedule they will be in the conversation at the end of the year.
09-18-2022 04:09 PM
Advertisement

AppState92 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: AppState
Texas will win every game going forward except for ALABAMA. App mattered to them but they still can reach the CFP playoff and I think is what Joey was replying. I know it hurts to be g5 but it is not just us. The other p5 conferences are almost not allowed a 1 loss team anymore. The p2 can have 1 loss. The Acc/pac/big12 better run the table or have 1 loss to one of the p2 conferences.

The G5 is about to be in our best position in a long time. because it is going to be the g8. Liberty gave number 19 Wake all they wanted. It is the top10 and the rest of college fbs.
09-18-2022 04:27 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(09-18-2022 03:37 PM)iStoopify Wrote:  He was saying A&Ms loss to us doesn’t matter for their seasons goals

I'm not of fan of Galloway, but this is what he was referring to. He's not exactly in love with the SEC as he's shown in his comments.
09-18-2022 04:36 PM
APPrising Offline
1st String

Who?
09-18-2022 05:07 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
He is correct in this instance. If Texas A&M goes undefeated in the SEC and wins the conference championship game, then App doesn’t matter. They would still get in the 4 team playoff. If they lose a game or games in the SEC, then they would have been out anyway. Without complete cross divisional play in the SEC it is too likely others have a better conference record if A&M loses.

I didn’t take it as a sign of disrespect. I took it that he saw several high profile top 10 matchups in A&M’s future and H2H wins in those games will outweigh the App loss.
09-18-2022 05:30 PM
Yosef181 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
I'm sorry if I misunderstood him, but it came off as arrogant in my opinion, even if he didn't mean in it that way. It's a bit aggravating for him to suggest that Texas A&M would make the playoffs with a loss to Appalachian State. We all know that if App wins out, we won't get a shot at the playoffs.

Seeing Texas A&M ranked while App isn't is also aggravating, but I guess that's how the system works.
09-18-2022 06:01 PM
Advertisement

WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
Yep, he was talking specifically about A&M's season aspiration. That said, it's still disrespectful in that it's viewed as a meaningless game but at the same time the SEC West is by far the most difficult division in all of college football. IMHO, the second hardest division is the SBC East. I think when we start seeing weekends like last weekend more regularly we'll start getting more respect. Also, just a thought, but he could mean that because App St is so good, losing to them will not be as big a negative at the end of the season.
09-18-2022 06:15 PM
Dukes94 Offline
All American

If you really don’t want to matter, there’s always the FCS.

At least here, you theoretically matter.

With a four team and even a 12 team playoff, none of us matters all that much. It’s the least inclusive championship in college sports.
09-18-2022 06:57 PM
AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

(09-18-2022 03:24 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  I think the context was that App State does matter for the SEC race, and that, because of all the ranked teams left on A&M's schedule, the Aggies can still make the CFP so long as they run the table. In that sense, the App State loss won't matter.

If I'm wrong, yeah, I 100% agree with you.

Also, Joey Galloway doesn't matter. 03-nerner

This context is the same way I told someone (a JMU grad) at a high school football game last Friday "the win was awesome, I love the attention, but that was the least important game on the schedule and at the this point I'm far more interested (and nervous) about facing JMU.
09-18-2022 07:44 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

Galloway is a very matter of fact guy, no confusion on what he means, I’ve always liked him, that said he should have clarified himself, sometimes his arrogance gets the best of him
09-18-2022 07:52 PM
Dukes94 Offline
All American

(09-18-2022 03:19 PM)Yosef181 Wrote:  Watching the coverage this morning has solidified my opinion that I don't need to care about the CFP, the Top 25, the "Access Bowl", or anything else that's easily handed over to the P5. The cards are always stacked against us, no matter what, even when we win.

Follow the money, and the money has been saying more teams in the playoffs--in the NFL, MLB, the NBA, March Madness, name your league, name your sport. More teams = more money. College football leadership is kind of dumb, but they're slowly coming around to what the rest of our capitalist society has known for a few decades.

I agree that we're outside looking in, but I can't help but think that we're heading in a positive direction. Somebody has to be looking at ND-Marshall and App State-A&M and thinking, "What if that were the first round of a 16-team playoff? Think of the ratings!" Think of the entire week of the Cinderella story being told on every outlet. America loves underdogs. Everybody but Alabama fans wants them to lose every week!
09-18-2022 08:21 PM
Advertisement

Porcine Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas, SBC
(09-18-2022 08:21 PM)Dukes94 Wrote:  
(09-18-2022 03:19 PM)Yosef181 Wrote:  Watching the coverage this morning has solidified my opinion that I don't need to care about the CFP, the Top 25, the "Access Bowl", or anything else that's easily handed over to the P5. The cards are always stacked against us, no matter what, even when we win.

Follow the money, and the money has been saying more teams in the playoffs--in the NFL, MLB, the NBA, March Madness, name your league, name your sport. More teams = more money. College football leadership is kind of dumb, but they're slowly coming around to what the rest of our capitalist society has known for a few decades.

I agree that we're outside looking in, but I can't help but think that we're heading in a positive direction. Somebody has to be looking at ND-Marshall and App State-A&M and thinking, "What if that were the first round of a 16-team playoff? Think of the ratings!" Think of the entire week of the Cinderella story being told on every outlet. America loves underdogs. Everybody but Alabama fans wants them to lose every week!

Yep. Ratings are dropping so now they are willing to make changes.
09-18-2022 08:41 PM
ODU2017 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion University
ESPN views College Football as a national sport. Any team not in the hunt for the CFP doesn’t matter to them. I for one will never care enough about the Big Ten, SEC enough to watch them unless they are playing my team. If ODU isn’t in the CFP then I won’t watch it either.
09-18-2022 08:50 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
(09-18-2022 06:01 PM)Yosef181 Wrote:  I'm sorry if I misunderstood him, but it came off as arrogant in my opinion, even if he didn't mean in it that way. It's a bit aggravating for him to suggest that Texas A&M would make the playoffs with a loss to Appalachian State. We all know that if App wins out, we won't get a shot at the playoffs.

Seeing Texas A&M ranked while App isn't is also aggravating, but I guess that's how the system works.

APP is NOT better than TAMU. Why would APP be ranked ahead of them?
09-18-2022 08:57 PM
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
(09-18-2022 07:52 PM)moehler Wrote:  Galloway is a very matter of fact guy, no confusion on what he means, I’ve always liked him, that said he should have clarified himself, sometimes his arrogance gets the best of him

Easy to do when you are that arrogant. And yes, I do like him
09-18-2022 09:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.