Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

GCU losses lawsuit against Dept of Education—cannot claim non-profit status
Bookmark and Share
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
GCU losses lawsuit against Dept of Education—cannot claim non-profit status
“A federal district judge in Arizona ruled Thursday that the U.S. Department of Education acted lawfully when it denied Grand Canyon University’s request to be considered a nonprofit institution“

“The order denying the university’s motion for summary judgment caps a long-running effort by Grand Canyon, a private Christian university, to convert from a for-profit to a nonprofit institution.”

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktake...department

The Wall Street Journal reports that Grand Canyon Education’s stock (LOPE) fell about 3% but mostly rebounded in after hours trading with a volume of over 291,000 shares being traded.

https://www.wsj.com/market-data/quotes/LOPE
12-04-2022 05:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Outsider Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & Tulane
RE: GCU losses lawsuit against Dept of Education—cannot claim non-profit status
So GCU is still trying to take advantage...
12-04-2022 06:00 AM
YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NMSU
I think the term “non-profit” as well as tax-exempt statuses and how they are awarded and maintained need a long looking at and revamping by our govt. There are so many organizations, mostly churches, who are non-profit and tax-exempt who have the heads of their organizations owning multiple private jets, living in mansions and a net worth in the 100 millions.
12-04-2022 08:46 AM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
Good. Having shareholders (mouths to feed) fundamentally makes you a for-profit enterprise! To try to spin that any other way is completely disingenuous, if not immoral. As the "Private-Christian-Affordable" university they also claim to be, one would think GCU would hold itself to the highest moral standard. "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour" (Exodus 20:16)
12-04-2022 09:04 AM
unalions Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNA & Bama
When you treat your admissions counselors like salesmen (and lie about it), you’re a for-profit diploma mill.

Grand Canyon University Must Face Compensation Ban Fraud Suit

A whistleblower adequately alleged that Phoenix-based Grand Canyon University obtained funds from the federal government by falsely promising not to reward counselors for enrolling students, in violation of the False Claims Act, a federal district court said.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-labo...fraud-suit
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2022 10:42 AM by unalions.)
12-04-2022 10:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trod0 Offline
2nd String

Wait until the claim of them paying students to attend games comes out
12-04-2022 12:31 PM
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
GCU has no leg to stand on. It is so obvious. Only their lawyers try to make it "cloudy".
12-05-2022 01:46 AM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
Meh.

There are 16 top Universities who are being sued for colluding and defrauding students...

Harvard is currently being sued for racial bias vs asian students.

Another has a bunch of private christian schools that are being sued on their stance on same sex marriage among other things

How do we find these not as big of a deal as GCU and tax status?
12-05-2022 01:53 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

(12-05-2022 01:53 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  Meh.

There are 16 top Universities who are being sued for colluding and defrauding students...

Another has a bunch of private christian schools that are being sued on their stance on same sex marriage among other things

You are in our conference. Harvard is not.
12-05-2022 04:11 PM
Outsider Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & Tulane
The issues between Harvard and GCU are different, as well as Harvard not being in the WAC. GCU has long been unethical in its money management.
12-05-2022 06:42 PM
edinburger Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTRGV
(12-05-2022 01:53 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  Meh.

To me it's not that a big a deal whether GCU is non-profit or non-non-profit. Either is acceptable. What's less acceptable is periodic news articles that say something like

"WAC school loses federal lawsuit over non-profit status" or
"WAC school found to have misled Dept of Ed"

Even those aren't a deal breaker but the WAC could do without that kind of publicity. If GC Education Inc wants to be connected to GCU, why not just own the for-profit status proudly and stay in the one conference that tolerates it.

And of course you're right that this whole thing ranks maybe #179th in higher education scandals. But currently the #1-#178 scandals are in other conferences.

UTRGV botching accreditation due to "integrity violations" was a Top 10 Scandal nationally (yay!) but thankfully the WAC graciously neglected to eject us, and now we're past it and off probation.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2022 08:38 PM by edinburger.)
12-05-2022 08:29 PM
Advertisement

Lopes87 Offline
1st String

So you are more concerned about tax status than this below?

Mike Peake 21 trying to have sex with a 17 year old girl, gets shot in the leg while killing a guy with his gun he brought to ABQ.

Then having fellow teammates Issa Muhammad Anthony Roy and Marcelus Avery in a car that I'd assume isn't any of theirs being that they all traveled up on a bus to play UNM for a game to take the gun and tablet of Mike Peakes and drive off before the cops showed up.

To have the HC and he staff lie about knowing Mike Peake, hiding the tablet and gun with different coaches on staff.

Then having Braun Cartwright try and rush them back down to LC before the cops could figure out what was going on and getting pulled over at a rest area and asking for lawyers.

Then having the police go back to the doubletree in ABQ to get the gun from an assistant coach who didn't travel with the team back LC who also wrapped it up in a towel and gave it to the police.

We are worried about tax status more than this? Obstruction to an investigation at a min. This is way worse than Louisville and Pitino and everyone wanted the death penalty for their hoops program b/c they claimed they lacked institutional order.... What would we call this situation down in LC?
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2022 10:50 PM by Lopes87.)
12-05-2022 10:48 PM
edinburger Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTRGV
(12-05-2022 10:48 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  So you are more concerned about tax status than this below?

Mike Peake 21 trying to have sex with a 17 year old girl, gets shot in the leg while killing a guy with his gun he brought to ABQ.

Then having fellow teammates Issa Muhammad Anthony Roy and Marcelus Avery in a car that I'd assume isn't any of theirs being that they all traveled up on a bus to play UNM for a game to take the gun and tablet of Mike Peakes and drive off before the cops showed up.

To have the HC and he staff lie about knowing Mike Peake, hiding the tablet and gun with different coaches on staff.

Then having Braun Cartwright try and rush them back down to LC before the cops could figure out what was going on and getting pulled over at a rest area and asking for lawyers.

Then having the police go back to the doubletree in ABQ to get the gun from an assistant coach who didn't travel with the team back LC who also wrapped it up in a towel and gave it to the police.

We are worried about tax status more than this? Obstruction to an investigation at a min. This is way worse than Louisville and Pitino and everyone wanted the death penalty for their hoops program b/c they claimed they lacked institutional order.... What would we call this situation down in LC?

Wow! Saw the news articles today about Peake getting suspended indefinitely but none of this detail about coaches involved. Where'd you see all this?
12-05-2022 11:09 PM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

12-05-2022 11:17 PM
TexanFan Online
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
(12-05-2022 10:48 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  So you are more concerned about tax status than this below?

Very nice way to change the subject.
12-05-2022 11:55 PM
Spolovilo4EVER Online
2nd String

I Root For: Tarleton Baylor
GCU is like University of Phoenix but with a Christian angle and team sports. Degrees from there are virtually worthless as anyone can sit at home in their underwear and type a few sentences on the keyboard, and Viola, you have a degree! It is embarrassing that they let them into an NCAA conference.
12-06-2022 12:56 AM
Advertisement

Lopes87 Offline
1st String

(12-05-2022 11:55 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  

Very nice way to change the subject.

No subject change just pointing out like a poster before me said the WAC doesn't need bad pub... If GCU did something wrong they will be held accountable.
12-06-2022 01:37 AM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

(12-06-2022 12:56 AM)Spolovilo4EVER Wrote:  GCU is like University of Phoenix but with a Christian angle and team sports. Degrees from there are virtually worthless as anyone can sit at home in their underwear and type a few sentences on the keyboard, and Viola, you have a degree! It is embarrassing that they let them into an NCAA conference.

Not true. I know several folks with degrees from both. I can assure you the degrees are legit and looked at equally as a degree from any other institution.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2022 03:57 PM by PojoaquePosse.)
12-06-2022 12:33 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(12-06-2022 12:56 AM)Spolovilo4EVER Wrote:  GCU is like University of Phoenix but with a Christian angle and team sports. Degrees from there are virtually worthless as anyone can sit at home in their underwear and type a few sentences on the keyboard, and Viola, you have a degree! It is embarrassing that they let them into an NCAA conference.

That's pretty extreme. While I can't vouch for their on-line program, they do have a robust campus enrollment with classes like you would find at any other college.

But yes, they do use the on-line cash cow to buy themselves exposure via sports.
12-06-2022 12:52 PM
NMSUIndyAg Offline
2nd String

EDIT: Now that I think about it, not the point of this thread so I won't post what I wrote. Suffice to say, NO, we are not more interested in your tax status. Those that have responded are only responding to the topic of conversation. That's it.

GO AGGIES!!!
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2022 01:10 PM by NMSUIndyAg.)
12-06-2022 01:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.