Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Trump's tax returns
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
Trump's tax returns
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/...7e30c0c248

As I said back in 2016 when the Democrats were going bananas over him not releasing his tax returns, they are just fodder for misunderstanding and misinterpretation(which is the result the DNC wants). The average American who works for a salary or hourly wages does not understand how business returns work, much less the idea that a loss is not taxable, or how taxation is on one's total income, including losses if any. They think losing money is a tax dodge.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2022 11:54 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
12-22-2022 11:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: Trump's tax returns
(12-22-2022 11:54 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/...7e30c0c248

As I said back in 2016 when the Democrats were going bananas over him not releasing his tax returns, they are just fodder for misunderstanding and misinterpretation(which is the result the DNC wants). The average American who works for a salary or hourly wages does not understand how business returns work, much less the idea that a loss is not taxable, or how taxation is on one's total income, including losses if any. They think losing money is a tax dodge.

Trump ran on this. Dave Chappell talks about this a lot. He didn't write the tax code... Biden did. He just takes advantage of (and then some) the laws they wrote. If they don't want it done then they need to change the tax code.... but Trump pointed out that this is how they 'favor' the wealthy over the average guy, no matter what they say.

And that's the killer to me.

Trump TOLD everyone this. Democrat and progressive voters should be OUTRAGED ... but instead of being mad at the guys who created, run, adminster and 'play' the game, they've successfully been turned against the guy who plays by their rules.

I get hating Trump, believe me... but I don't get why the focus is on a guy who mostly plays by the rules, pushes the envelope and sometimes steps over the line... and NOT the people who should have moved this line WAY WAY WAY in the other direction
12-22-2022 02:20 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
I dont like what happened in the slightest.

The Congress gains access to Trump's returns, because they have the legal power to do that. Right out of the bat that is on thin ice for me. A 'just because' rationale. I can live with that (just barely).

The second step of voting to release them is really, really, really bad. And horribly disturbing.

As most realize, I am *far* from a 'pro Trump' person. But this methodology is really bad and really bad to set as any sort of precedent.
12-22-2022 02:34 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(12-22-2022 02:20 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  a guy who mostly plays by the rules, pushes the envelope and sometimes steps over the line

I think everybody in the USA fits this description. I know I do.

In poker tournaments, a W-2G is issued for winnings in excess of $5000. Does anybody think those people winning from $1-$4999 are meticulous in reporting it and paying their tax on it? I don't.
12-22-2022 04:27 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(12-22-2022 02:34 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I dont like what happened in the slightest.

The Congress gains access to Trump's returns, because they have the legal power to do that. Right out of the bat that is on thin ice for me. A 'just because' rationale. I can live with that (just barely).

The second step of voting to release them is really, really, really bad. And horribly disturbing.

As most realize, I am *far* from a 'pro Trump' person. But this methodology is really bad and really bad to set as any sort of precedent.

This is well down the slippery slope. Nobody's privacy will be safe anymore.

The drive to "get" Trump has diminished our rights as citizens. Such are the wages of hate.
12-22-2022 04:30 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(12-22-2022 02:34 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I dont like what happened in the slightest.

Tanq, I've said before that the biggest difference between us appears to me to be that you trust the Washington establishment more than you trust Donald John Trump, whereas I don't trust either of them.

This is one more example why I don't trust the Washington establishment. Do you still trust them?
12-22-2022 04:38 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
Over the years I have asked nearly a hundred wealthy leftists who insist that people like themselves should axiomatically pay higher taxes whether they personally voluntarily forgo deductions they are entitled to. Not a single one has said yes. Most have dodged the question; some have gotten angry; and a few (very few) have paused and thought about it.

But not a single one leads by example, or even FALSELY CLAIMS to lead by example.

Contrast that to personal behavior on other public policy issues, such as:
- People who believe in mandatory recycling are pretty likely to recycle voluntarily.
- People who believe in compulsory military service are pretty likely to have served themselves or to have servicemen in their family.
- Motorcyclists who believe in mandatory helmets are pretty likely to wear helmets.
- Heck, even people who believe in prohibition are more likely to be, or at least pretend to be, teetotalers.

But on a matter that leftists insist is a salient issue of "equity" and "justice", not a single one acts voluntarily -- ever.
12-22-2022 06:50 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(12-22-2022 06:50 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  Over the years I have asked nearly a hundred wealthy leftists who insist that people like themselves should axiomatically pay higher taxes whether they personally voluntarily forgo deductions they are entitled to. Not a single one has said yes. Most have dodged the question; some have gotten angry; and a few (very few) have paused and thought about it.

But not a single one leads by example, or even FALSELY CLAIMS to lead by example.

- People who believe in mandatory recycling are pretty likely to recycle voluntarily.
- People who believe in compulsory military service are pretty likely to have served themselves or to have servicemen in their family.
- Motorcyclists who believe in mandatory helmets are pretty likely to wear helmets.
- Heck, even people who believe in prohibition are more likely to be, or at least pretend to be, teetotalers.

But on a matter that leftists insist is a salient issue of "equity" and "justice", not a single one acts voluntarily -- ever.

Hypocrites.
12-23-2022 10:09 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(12-23-2022 10:09 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(12-22-2022 06:50 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  Over the years I have asked nearly a hundred wealthy leftists who insist that people like themselves should axiomatically pay higher taxes whether they personally voluntarily forgo deductions they are entitled to. Not a single one has said yes. Most have dodged the question; some have gotten angry; and a few (very few) have paused and thought about it.

Hypocrites.

True, but to me the most telling point is not the hypocrisy; after all, all of us are hypocrites about various things.

Rather, the most telling thing is what this fact confirms (alongside many others) about the true motives and goals of so-called "progressivism": not "equity" and "justice" (and certainly not liberty or fairness), but envy and power -- the compulsive resentment of others, and the lust to tell others what to do.
12-23-2022 10:31 AM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

Democrats to release tax returns of private citizen

Oh, the vindictiveness of the left!!!!

"House Democrats scrambled to get their hands on Trump’s tax returns to release to the public before the end of the year, seeking to accomplish the yearslong goal before the party cedes control of the lower chamber to Republicans next week."
12-27-2022 10:16 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
How is this legal?

"The U.S. Code states that "[federal tax] returns and return information shall be confidential." This extends to any of the information related to the returns, such as reviews, audits, and any effort to collect unpaid taxes. In fact, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) can't even tell anyone whether you filed a tax return.

"Violation of IRS tax return confidentiality law may be charged as a felony, punishable by up to five years in prison and up to $250,000 in fines. Additionally, the victim of an unlawful disclosure may sue for damages of $1,000 or more for each act. Any federal employee who's convicted of this crime must be fired (in addition to criminal charges and potential civil liability). States (California, for example) also have laws protecting the confidentiality of state tax returns."
12-27-2022 10:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.