Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Per Team Revenue
$70M+
$60M+
$50M+
$40M+
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
If the ACC were signing a new media deal for 2024, how much would they get per team?
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
If the ACC were signing a new media deal for 2024, how much would they get per team?
Apologies in advance if something like this has been discussed before.

In this hypothetical scenario the ACC's current media deal is ending and the new one starts in 2024. No teams are planning to leave and all will sign a 7-year GoR.
12-30-2022 04:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: If the ACC were signing a new media deal for 2024, how much would they get per team?
(12-30-2022 04:28 AM)Alanda Wrote:  Apologies in advance if something like this has been discussed before.

In this hypothetical scenario the ACC's current media deal is ending and the new one starts in 2024. No teams are planning to leave and all will sign a 7-year GoR.

Roughly the same as what the Big XII is going to get - but with the ACCN $$$ on top of that.
12-30-2022 07:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
RE: If the ACC were signing a new media deal for 2024, how much would they get per team?
Combined with the ACC network, probably at least $40 million per team. But probably not that much more than that.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2022 10:53 AM by Poster.)
12-30-2022 10:52 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
The double edged sword would be if the ACC were signing a new media deal and not bound by a GOR, the ACC and SEC would be negotiating with North Carolina, Florida State, Virginia, etc (and/or vice versa right now). We can talk about the Big 12 right now but they don't have Texas or Oklahoma now.
12-30-2022 10:58 AM
Advertisement

Acres Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston, Texas Southern
Fact remains they won’t sign a new deal until 2034 or so. Question is what’s the total current media payout.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2022 11:02 AM by Acres.)
12-30-2022 11:00 AM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(12-30-2022 07:26 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(12-30-2022 04:28 AM)Alanda Wrote:  Apologies in advance if something like this has been discussed before.

Roughly the same as what the Big XII is going to get - but with the ACCN $$$ on top of that.

I've become a commie and a conspiracist in my bitter old age, so I think that ESPN would use their market power to peg the ACC total payout at more than the Big 12, but no need to keep the guaranteed-money-only above Big 12 levels. Publicize estimates of the total number so that ACC egos can be fed, let the Big 12 publicize the guaranteed money so that their egos are fed.

And report back to Dark Lord Mickey that no unnecessary bidding wars were allowed to erupt.
12-30-2022 11:01 AM
Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
(12-30-2022 11:01 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  

I've become a commie and a conspiracist in my bitter old age, so I think that ESPN would use their market power to peg the ACC total payout at more than the Big 12, but no need to keep the guaranteed-money-only above Big 12 levels. Publicize estimates of the total number so that ACC egos can be fed, let the Big 12 publicize the guaranteed money so that their egos are fed.

And report back to Dark Lord Mickey that no unnecessary bidding wars were allowed to erupt.

The ACC is currently making just a tad more than the Big 12.

But if the ACC was making more, the Big 12 might be making more too. It’s a fairly popular (and fairly reasonable) theory on here that ESPN purposefully paid the Big 12 a bit less than the ACC.
12-30-2022 11:06 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-30-2022 10:52 AM)Poster Wrote:  Combined with the ACC network, probably at least $40 million per team. But probably not that much more than that.

Agreed. They are underpaid, but they still wouldn't be anywhere close to SEC or Big 10.
12-30-2022 11:09 AM
johnbragg Online

(12-30-2022 11:06 AM)Poster Wrote:  
(12-30-2022 11:01 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  

The ACC is currently making just a tad more than the Big 12.

But if the ACC was making more, the Big 12 might be making more too. It’s a fairly popular (and fairly reasonable) theory on here that ESPN purposefully paid the Big 12 a bit less than the ACC.

That's the theory I'm going with, figuring it works in both (many) directions.
12-30-2022 11:16 AM
Garrettabc Online
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
I’ll go with $50m per if we are including the ACCN in the total. At the moment it’s s little over $40m per and the ACC is about to go divisionless which will feature good matchups with more frequency. FSU will play GT and VT 2 in 4 years instead of 2 n 6 years. Clemson will play UM and VT 2 n 4 years instead of 2 n 6. The ACCG also has a better chance to draw better ratings if they had the 2 best teams guaranteed.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2022 11:18 AM by Garrettabc.)
12-30-2022 11:16 AM
Advertisement

Acres Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston, Texas Southern
(12-30-2022 11:16 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  I’ll go with $50m per if we are including the ACCN in the total. At the moment it’s s little over $40m per and the ACC is about to go divisionless which will feature good matchups with more frequency. FSU will play GT and VT 2 in 4 years instead of 2 n 6 years. Clemson will play UM and VT 2 n 4 years instead of 2 n 6. The ACCG also has a better chance to draw better ratings if they had the 2 best teams guaranteed.

The $40m is total distribution per school , which includes other revenue such as CFP and NCAA monies.
12-30-2022 11:36 AM
johnbragg Online

(12-30-2022 11:36 AM)Acres Wrote:  
(12-30-2022 11:16 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  I’ll go with $50m per if we are including the ACCN in the total. At the moment it’s s little over $40m per and the ACC is about to go divisionless which will feature good matchups with more frequency. FSU will play GT and VT 2 in 4 years instead of 2 n 6 years. Clemson will play UM and VT 2 n 4 years instead of 2 n 6. The ACCG also has a better chance to draw better ratings if they had the 2 best teams guaranteed.

The $40m is total distribution per school , which includes other revenue such as CFP and NCAA monies.

True. We don't have a good number for the ACC yet with the ACC NEtwork fully distributed in a non-pandemic year. In a year or so, we'll have the Form 990 from 2021 and then we'll know.
12-30-2022 11:41 AM
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
This was a rather late idea in relation to the talk of the ACC possibly talking to ESPN to redo their deal that's why I was sure if it was done before. I wanted to see what people thought they could get in a "perfect" scenario. Based on the votes it looks like even after that deal ended the ACC could still lose some teams. So does this mean that no matter the situation the ACC will eventually lose some teams? Because I would guess that at best even if a renegotiation were successful it would be no better than what most of you thought in this poll. Are the "lower tier" teams really that much worse than the ones in the BIG and SEC that with the ACC network they couldn't reach $60M?
01-01-2023 04:32 PM
Advertisement

Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10
https://www.maizenbrew.com/2022/8/14/233...media-deal

So for the P5, espn has media rights to ACC, and SEC, and shares them with Fox for the B12.

For the G5, espn has AAC, the Sunbelt, and parts of the others, except MWC.

Unless espn makes a deal with the PAC, it seems like they are currently mostly in the east and southeast.

If the ACC were signing a media deal today, that presumably also means that the GoR is up or nearly up, and the time is night for re-signing.

espn will have to pay them more, or lose a few - likely to the B10 or SEC.

Losing schools to the B10 isn't in their best interest at the moment.

And too many ACC schools going to the SEC would be expensive for espn. So there's a balance to be struck.

All that said, presuming that the ACC is able to backfill losses with former BigEast schools, their new media deal would likely be around the high 30s to mid 40s per school.

There are several moving parts to this. But in the end, I think espn is going to want to keep the synergy of the ACC/SEC.

Plus, the followup question is - does espn drop the AAC? Many of the schools which initially made up the AAC are gone.

If the B12 were to add Tulane and Tulsa, and the ACC, ECU and Temple, and either one could take USF or Memphis - that would finish turning AAC into C-USA. And with belt tightening happening across streaming, espn could drop both of those conferences as a money saving move.

So yes, I think the ACC gets more money, but the moment that the ACC GoR drops (and likely earlier), there will be a shift in the landscape.
01-01-2023 06:34 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
My first number was $40m, so about $10m more than the big 12. And they’re too heavy even with that. Once their top programs escape they’ll be behind the big 12 and possibly the pac, too.
01-02-2023 01:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.