Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men's game 17: @Stony Brook
Bookmark and Share
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
Men's game 17: @Stony Brook
Our men hit the road for a chance to win some of the "easy" games in their early schedule. This road trip will be far from easy for our inconsistent dragons. Get through these 2 games unscathed and we are staring down 6-1 heading into the Delaware game. Knowing the back half of the schedule will be much dicier, it is in our best interest to win these, at worst split. Stony Brook is playing much better since conference play started, than how their season started. They are getting healthier, and it has shown in their results. They are 2-1 beating NU and Monmouth while losing to Towson. While not their leading scorer, Frankie Policelli appears to be their best player. He is scoring just under 12 a game while grabbing over 9 boards a game. He is a 6'7" senior, so nothing Amari shouldnt be able to deal with. I think if we keep him under control we win this one. If we struggle controlling him I think we drop.

DU- 78
SBU- 70
01-10-2023 03:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
RE: Men's game 17: @Stony Brook
You are allowing 59.4 points, which is 14th of 363 teams.

For the second time in three games, you will be on CBS Sports Network.
01-10-2023 04:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dan10 Offline
Heisman

It helps when you play a soft schedule and a team like Monmouth scores 35 and UT Arlington scores 38
01-11-2023 03:21 PM
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

The defense question is interesting. Within the context of the CAA, Drexel ranks 3rd defensively by KenPom and 1st defensively by Massey, but I don't believe those account for pace. I don't think it's debatable that Drexel is one of the best teams in the CAA at suppressing opposing point totals, the per-possession numbers aren't going to be as gaudy. I haven't found a resource that shows per-possession NCAA statistics, though.
01-11-2023 03:48 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

4.5 point favorites tonight. Game is on CBSSN
01-12-2023 07:44 AM
Advertisement

EvanJ Offline
1st String

If you get CBS Sports Network on TV, https://www.cbssports.com/watch/cbs-sports-network is where you can watch also. They said that it is the first game between the teams. In the 41 pairs that can be made of CAA teams not previously in the same conference, I wonder how many played or will play for the first time this season.

KenPom expects you to win 63-59, so that would be a low-scoring game close to the line of 4.5.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast...?id=428320 has statistics, but it stopped working. Stony Brook leads 12-5.

Edit: You trailed 19-9, but ended the half on an 8-0 run to make it 26-26 at halftime. Tyler Stephenson-Moore leads all players with 13. Moore scored 10, and Williams scored 6 without missing. He had 4 rebounds, 2 assists, and no fouls or turnovers. Stony Brook had 6 more rebounds and 5 more turnovers. You committed only 3 turnovers. Moore made a free throw in your only attempt. Bergens, Oden, and House combined to shoot 0-8. Frankie Pollicelli scored only 3, but led all players with 5 rebounds.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2023 07:56 PM by EvanJ.)
01-12-2023 07:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

Predictions of a low-scoring game hold true, as it's tied into the break 26-26. Drexel ended the half on a 8-0 run with threes from Okros and Moore. I though we'd been getting good looks on offense all half, but just weren't making shots.
01-12-2023 07:56 PM
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

Defense and free throw shooting let us down in the second half. Not much more to say really, that's a game we should have won.
01-12-2023 09:07 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

Stony Brook won 67-66. Tyler Stephenson-Moore led all players with 21 including the winning shot with 9 seconds left when he chose not to hold for the final shot. The shot hit the rim twice before going in. You made 6 of 14 free throws, and Stony Brook made 12 of 13. You shot field goals .509. Williams led you in points with 14 and in rebounds with 6. Moore scored 13 and led all players with 5 assists. Frankie Pollicelli had 16 points, 14 rebounds, and 4 assists.
01-12-2023 09:12 PM
Advertisement

JonP Offline
2nd String

Free throws. Free throws. Free throws.

Also don't understand why we didn't call timeout with the ball and under 10 seconds to go. It didn't look like we had some great plan.
01-12-2023 10:53 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Amari was awful from the line last night, and it hurt us when it mattered. That being said we ended the half on a run and continued it into the second half getting up 9 with just under 10 to go. Immediately after we gave up a 7-0 run in under 2 minutes and it was a ball game after that point. Stony Brook had 2 capable guys and we never figured that out. Pollicelli got the better of Amari in this one. And as I mentioned pregame, if we couldnt control him we likely would drop the game. Bummer. Northeastern isnt going to be any easier. We really needed 2-0 on this road trip, now we are staring down 0-2
01-13-2023 09:04 AM
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

(01-12-2023 10:53 PM)JonP Wrote:  Free throws. Free throws. Free throws.

Also don't understand why we didn't call timeout with the ball and under 10 seconds to go. It didn't look like we had some great plan.

Honestly I didn't have a huge problem with it, I'm personally a fan of not letting the opposing defense get set if there's enough time to push the basketball and get a good look, which we did. Just didn't fall for Amari.

We're currently 316th in the country in free throw percentage, and of CAA teams only Northeastern and Monmouth are worse. That's a major concern.
01-13-2023 09:34 AM
J.B. Offline

Very frustrating loss, but it will probably mean very little in the long run. I don't see this team battling for the top 3 seeds, which are really all that matter in the current CAAT format. Hopefully it emphasizes their need to get better with their free throws and maybe adjust their offensive game to not rely on the 3 so much. If they just made a few more shots early, they could have run away with a win.
01-13-2023 01:41 PM
Advertisement

JonP Offline
2nd String

(01-13-2023 09:34 AM)jcohen42 Wrote:  Honestly I didn't have a huge problem with it, I'm personally a fan of not letting the opposing defense get set if there's enough time to push the basketball and get a good look, which we did. Just didn't fall for Amari.

I see what you're saying. And my comment was a little bit of hindsight being 20/20.

But they wound up with a guy who wasn't hitting his foul shots taking a shot from ... near the foul line. It was a good look, but for the wrong player.

Moore going to the rim, Washington taking a jumper, Amari in the post. All better chances.

And we usually can actually inbound the ball these days.
01-13-2023 02:25 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

This game truly encompassed this team in every way. Some bad, some good runs in our favor, stagnant spells that gave them runs. It was the epitome of this team.
01-13-2023 02:54 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

(01-13-2023 01:41 PM)J.B. Wrote:  I don't see this team battling for the top 3 seeds, which are really all that matter in the current CAAT format.
You are assuming three byes and ten teams starting in the same round, but that is not the format. The CAA is having a five round tournament like the top conferences with 14 or 15 teams do. Round 1 is 12 vs. 13. Round 2 has 5 through 11 (7 teams) and that winner. The top four start in the Quaterfinals. https://caasports.com/tournaments/?id=191 has the dates and times.
01-13-2023 09:54 PM
J.B. Offline

(01-13-2023 09:54 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  
(01-13-2023 01:41 PM)J.B. Wrote:  I don't see this team battling for the top 3 seeds, which are really all that matter in the current CAAT format.
You are assuming three byes and ten teams starting in the same round, but that is not the format. The CAA is having a five round tournament like the top conferences with 14 or 15 teams do. Round 1 is 12 vs. 13. Round 2 has 5 through 11 (7 teams) and that winner. The top four start in the Quaterfinals. https://caasports.com/tournaments/?id=191 has the dates and times.

Oh wow. I didn't know that. The CAA never does anything out of the box, so I wasn't aware of the change. Thanks.
01-13-2023 10:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.