Middle Tennessee women break into top 25 poll
Bookmark and Share
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Middle Tennessee women break into top 25 poll
https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-...tball-poll

They are #23 in this week's poll. Congrats.
01-23-2023 01:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UNT15 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
RE: Middle Tennessee women break into top 25 poll
(01-23-2023 01:07 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-...tball-poll

MTSU has a special team that’s pretty good at hoops.

The first AP women’s basketball poll EVER not have a team from Texas in it, too
01-23-2023 02:52 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(01-23-2023 02:52 PM)UNT15 Wrote:  
(01-23-2023 01:07 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-...tball-poll

MTSU has a special team that’s pretty good at hoops.

The first AP women’s basketball poll EVER not have a team from Texas in it, too

Worried about our ladies reading their own press clippings, though. Lady Techsters gave them all they wanted on Saturday (Tech led by one after 3rd quarter)
01-23-2023 03:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tyler90wm Offline
Blue Raider

I Root For: MT
(01-23-2023 03:01 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  Worried about our ladies reading their own press clippings, though. Lady Techsters gave them all they wanted on Saturday (Tech led by one after 3rd quarter)

I had the same thought; we've seen it so many times, a G5 program finally getting ranked to lose the very next game (congrats to FAU for not doing this). I think this team is better than that though. They will be mentally focused and continue chugging away to improve potential seeding in the tournament.
01-23-2023 03:23 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Finally back in the AP Top 25 for the first time since 2014! This may be our best team in program history, and I think they've got the focus right now. They could have easily let the rough start against LA Tech get to them but they really kicked it into higher (championship team) gear in the fourth quarter to end up winning by 18. Hope all MT fans see how big this is for our athletics program as a whole and come out to support the team this week.
01-23-2023 04:12 PM
BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

I Root For: MTSU
Best thing about Middle Tennessee Lady Raiders being ranked in the AP Top 25? We are RANKED and UT women are NOT!!! 02-13-banana Seriously, Rick Insell is a great old coach and being ranked is long overd ue. The trick will be holding on to the ranking!
01-23-2023 06:18 PM
Advertisement

SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(01-23-2023 06:18 PM)BlueRaiderBoy Wrote:  Best thing about Middle Tennessee Lady Raiders being ranked in the AP Top 25? We are RANKED and UT women are NOT!...

There are a lot of unhappy utk fans on twitter. Calling out that they are better than MT but not any other ranked team. Enjoying it. #Schadenfreude
01-23-2023 06:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
Should have been ranked for awhile now. MT womens basketball has been a solid program for years. You woukd think they would give us a little credit earlier, but we're not P5 so this is what we can expect.
01-23-2023 10:41 PM
dawgonit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
Congrats MTSU! I think MTSU is the exact expectations Lady Techsters fans have for the program now with how far its fallen. No one expects a fourth national championship but 20-win seasons, fighting for conference titles and making the NCAA tournament is about what fans expect.
01-24-2023 10:29 AM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

(01-24-2023 10:29 AM)dawgonit Wrote:  Congrats MTSU! I think MTSU is the exact expectations Lady Techsters fans have for the program now with how far its fallen. No one expects a fourth national championship but 20-win seasons, fighting for conference titles and making the NCAA tournament is about what fans expect.

Lady Techsters are good. Surprised they've lost as many as they have. I would put Tech up there with Western & Rice (talent-wise).
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2023 11:03 AM by KAjunRaider.)
01-24-2023 11:02 AM
UNT15 Offline
Special Teams

(01-24-2023 10:29 AM)dawgonit Wrote:  Congrats MTSU! I think MTSU is the exact expectations Lady Techsters fans have for the program now with how far its fallen. No one expects a fourth national championship but 20-win seasons, fighting for conference titles and making the NCAA tournament is about what fans expect.

I’ve never ventured over to an LT board so I’m curious if any LT fans (or administration) ever bemoan the fact that they let Kim Mulkey get away? I don’t think it’s crazy to think that she would have won a title in the early 2000s and possibly never have gone to Baylor if LT had just given her what she asked for
01-24-2023 07:01 PM
Advertisement

dawgonit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(01-24-2023 07:01 PM)UNT15 Wrote:  

I’ve never ventured over to an LT board so I’m curious if any LT fans (or administration) ever bemoan the fact that they let Kim Mulkey get away? I don’t think it’s crazy to think that she would have won a title in the early 2000s and possibly never have gone to Baylor if LT had just given her what she asked for

Oh there are many that bemoan that fact. There are many opinions and it’s probably our biggest “what if” scenario in athletics history. No one knows exactly what happened except our then president Dan Reneau and Mulkey herself. Supposedly he offered a four year contract and she begged for a five year one, neither would budge and she left.

Some people blame Dan for being stubborn. It’s just one more year for the person that waited patiently for decades to have the job. Just give her a five year contract instead of four.

Some people blame Mulkey. Four year contracts are normal and standard for someone with no head coaching experience. If you are as good as you think are, you will get an extension easily.

Another Tech fan can tell me if that’s wrong or if I’m missing anything. Obviously in hindsight, Reneau should have offered her what she wanted. She’s gone on to win national championships and the Techsters have gone from a powerhouse selling out every game to has-beens with weak attendance.

With all of that said, even if we managed to keep her at first, I doubt she would still be at Tech IMO. She just expects so much in facilities, budgets and exposure that I doubt Tech could compete with P5 teams’ resources if they came to lure her away. But again, people disagree. She was a star player for tech and the alum coach in waiting. Tech born and raised. She would stay at Tech forever they think. It’s the biggest “what if” possibly in our history and it definitely causes disagreements on Latechbbb
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2023 08:52 AM by dawgonit.)
01-25-2023 08:49 AM
UNT15 Offline
Special Teams

(01-25-2023 08:49 AM)dawgonit Wrote:  
(01-24-2023 07:01 PM)UNT15 Wrote:  

Oh there are many that bemoan that fact. There are many opinions and it’s probably our biggest “what if” scenario in athletics history. No one knows exactly what happened except our then president Dan Reneau and Mulkey herself. Supposedly he offered a four year contract and she begged for a five year one, neither would budge and she left.

Some people blame Dan for being stubborn. It’s just one more year for the person that waited patiently for decades to have the job. Just give her a five year contract instead of four.

Some people blame Mulkey. Four year contracts are normal and standard for someone with no head coaching experience. If you are as good as you think are, you will get an extension easily.

Another Tech fan can tell me if that’s wrong or if I’m missing anything. Obviously in hindsight, Reneau should have offered her what she wanted. She’s gone on to win national championships and the Techsters have gone from a powerhouse selling out every game to has-beens with weak attendance.

With all of that said, even if we managed to keep her at first, I doubt she would still be at Tech IMO. She just expects so much in facilities, budgets and exposure that I doubt Tech could compete with P5 teams’ resources if they came to lure her away. But again, people disagree. She was a star player for tech and the alum coach in waiting. Tech born and raised. She would stay at Tech forever they think. It’s the biggest “what if” possibly in our history and it definitely causes disagreements on Latechbbb

Thanks for that synopsis. The whole thing is truly fascinating.

All of the arguments make sense, too. I mean she stayed at Baylor until they also had a disagreement so I could see a scenario where she stays at LT. it obviously makes sense that maybe someone else comes along and money whipped her and let’s say “Oklahoma State” or “Arkansas” had a decades long dominance under her. Just so many ways it could have all played out.

I definitely think that first Baylor national title would have happened for LT instead had she been given 5 years
01-25-2023 11:37 AM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I think ULM had a couple of very good women's programs back in the Barmore days. Bet those Tech/Monroe women's games were barnburners.

I read a book about a tragedy that took place at Northeast Louisiana with their women's program (a player was murdered on campus)
01-25-2023 12:04 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

(01-23-2023 10:41 PM)MT FAN Wrote:  Should have been ranked for awhile now. MT womens basketball has been a solid program for years. You woukd think they would give us a little credit earlier, but we're not P5 so this is what we can expect.

Would have been if it wasn’t for that Mercer game.
01-25-2023 12:30 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says well deserved
01-26-2023 12:20 AM
Advertisement

KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

Moved up to 21st today
01-30-2023 01:21 PM
BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

(01-30-2023 01:21 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  Moved up to 21st today

Maybe we can break into the Coaches Poll tomorrow. Bout dang time.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2023 08:51 PM by BlueRaiderBoy.)
01-30-2023 08:50 PM
BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

And sure nuff. Lady Raiders break in at #23 in the Coaches Poll.
01-31-2023 01:32 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Coaches poll too now! Maybe FIU's coach gave us some votes this time.
01-31-2023 05:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.