Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SicEm365 with a great breakdown on each conference's exposure
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
SicEm365 with a great breakdown on each conference's exposure

Goes in depth on network reach, streaming percentages, and high visibility windows.
06-27-2023 12:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
RE: SicEm365 with a great breakdown on each conference's exposure
[Image: 0057777-qaac-1280X720.jpg]

- ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS: Your standard OTA network TV that hit almost every home (122M HH) and have a history of broadcasting college football.

- Around 90% of Multichannel (Cable) Homes or More: This is ESPN, ESPN2, and FS1 all coming in around 93-94%.

- Around 66% of Multichannel Homes: CBS Sports Network, FS2, SEC Network, BTN, and NFL Network.

- Around 50% of Multichannel Homes: ESPNU & ACC Network

- Regional TV/Streaming/Syndication: Options that aren’t as nationally consistent as the above. Regional & Syndication can be up and down while many streaming services like ESPN+ or AppleTV+ have a subscriber count on par with 1/3 of multichannel homes. Amazon is bigger but again it’s not to the point casual viewership is likely.

- Less Than 20% of Multichannel Homes: PAC-12 Network
BYUtv or Longhorn Network: Networks that are pretty visible for the fanbase headlining the channel but won’t pull in casual viewers nationally very often.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2023 12:48 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
06-27-2023 12:48 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Excellent. Looking forward to Sam Bradshaw appearing on Crystal Ball College Football.
06-27-2023 01:06 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
This is cute.

Exposure without Revenue or Viewership attached looks great on paper. I can drink that Kool-aid. Exposure as a strategy works.

The major difference is that Big 12 doesn't have a dedicated network. The bulk of ACC's 50% Homes is due to ACC Network. The bulk of B1G and SEC's 60% Homes is due to BTN and SECN respectively. The success or failure of the conference's dedicated network is going to be key for the next decade or so.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2023 01:11 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
06-27-2023 01:06 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(06-27-2023 01:06 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  This is cute.

Exposure without Revenue or Viewership attached looks great on paper. I can drink that Kool-aid. Exposure as a strategy works.

The major difference is that Big 12 doesn't have a dedicated network. The bulk of ACC's 50% Homes is due to ACC Network. The bulk of B1G and SEC's 60% Homes is due to BTN and SECN respectively. The success or failure of the conference's dedicated network is going to be key for the next decade or so.

The ACCN is something that's actively working against an early termination of the ACC GoR. ESPN has a lot invested in that and they want to get their money out of it.
06-27-2023 02:01 PM
1845 Bear Offline

(06-27-2023 02:01 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(06-27-2023 01:06 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  This is cute.

The ACCN is something that's actively working against an early termination of the ACC GoR. ESPN has a lot invested in that and they want to get their money out of it.

Agreed. People ignore the ACC Network in a lot of these discussions.
06-27-2023 03:01 PM
Advertisement

1845 Bear Offline

Former president of Fox Sports & co-founder of BTN comments on it.
06-27-2023 10:26 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(06-27-2023 12:48 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  [Image: 0057777-qaac-1280X720.jpg]

- ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS: Your standard OTA network TV that hit almost every home (122M HH) and have a history of broadcasting college football.

- Around 90% of Multichannel (Cable) Homes or More: This is ESPN, ESPN2, and FS1 all coming in around 93-94%.

- Around 66% of Multichannel Homes: CBS Sports Network, FS2, SEC Network, BTN, and NFL Network.

- Regional TV/Streaming/Syndication: Options that aren’t as nationally consistent as the above. Regional & Syndication can be up and down while many streaming services like ESPN+ or AppleTV+ have a subscriber count on par with 1/3 of multichannel homes. Amazon is bigger but again it’s not to the point casual viewership is likely.

BYUtv or Longhorn Network: Networks that are pretty visible for the fanbase headlining the channel but won’t pull in casual viewers nationally very often.

Big 10, CBS Sports, FS2 and NFL Network along with ESPN, ESPNews, NBA, MLB, and the ACC Network are extended sports tier package that you have to pay extra for some cable companies. Those channels are located there and not as visible to many. CW and ION are in more households than those channels.
06-28-2023 03:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
SicEM365 is a Big 12 homer site. It will be interesting to see how accurate their numbers are compared to actual numbers once Texas and Oklahoma exit their conference.
06-28-2023 04:20 AM
DC Texan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Texas
If Bob Thompson agrees with it, I have to believe it is true.
06-28-2023 07:16 AM
1845 Bear Offline

(06-28-2023 03:27 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Big 10, CBS Sports, FS2 and NFL Network along with ESPN, ESPNews, NBA, MLB, and the ACC Network are extended sports tier package that you have to pay extra for some cable companies. Those channels are located there and not as visible to many. CW and ION are in more households than those channels.

They'd be available but would perform worse than the usual OTA network channels. The CW massively underperformed with LIV Golf and many college fans wouldn't casually move to them very often initially.
06-28-2023 07:56 AM
Advertisement

UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(06-28-2023 04:20 AM)XLance Wrote:  SicEM365 is a Big 12 homer site. It will be interesting to see how accurate their numbers are compared to actual numbers once Texas and Oklahoma exit their conference.

Did you read the title of the graph? The title is "Future P5 Exposure by Channel Distribution Expected Deals". Texas and OU are already factored out of the projections because they are not a part of the Big 12's new TV deal.
06-28-2023 08:07 AM
1845 Bear Offline

(06-28-2023 04:20 AM)XLance Wrote:  SicEM365 is a Big 12 homer site. It will be interesting to see how accurate their numbers are compared to actual numbers once Texas and Oklahoma exit their conference.

If the former head of FOX Sports backs it up it's probably accurate.

It's probably more than a homer piece if Jon Wilner who is very pro-Pac12 relayed it.

What parts do you take issue with?
06-28-2023 09:17 AM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

I Root For: North Texas
(06-27-2023 12:30 PM)1845 Bear Wrote:  

Goes in depth on network reach, streaming percentages, and high visibility windows.

Nice to see the AAC with 4 or 5 times the exposure of the MWC. I have to wonder if that will look attractive to Air Force, Boise, or Colorado State, once SDSU is gone and the MWC media deal takes a hit.
06-28-2023 09:22 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(06-28-2023 07:56 AM)1845 Bear Wrote:  

They'd be available but would perform worse than the usual OTA network channels. The CW massively underperformed with LIV Golf and many college fans wouldn't casually move to them very often initially.

I forgot the U at the end of ESPN.

What I meant was CW is on the basic cable service, People are making fun of them right now, but little known Fox was trying to get into sports themselves, and people said the fans would not know where Fox is on their tv set. So, lets not put CW down because Fox was in the same boat at one time.
06-28-2023 09:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1845 Bear Offline

(06-28-2023 09:32 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(06-28-2023 07:56 AM)1845 Bear Wrote:  

I forgot the U at the end of ESPN.

What I meant was CW is on the basic cable service, People are making fun of them right now, but little known Fox was trying to get into sports themselves, and people said the fans would not know where Fox is on their tv set. So, lets not put CW down because Fox was in the same boat at one time.

CW is extremely available. However will people tune in at the rates on par with NBC, CBS, FOX, or ABC? I highly doubt that given how LIV Golf underperformed. The recent US Open averaged over 3M viewers. LIV Golf? 400k & 500k for their first two tourneys and then they hid the numbers. Yikes.
https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/s...ratings-cw
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/06...ntry-club/

As for Fox being in the same boat, not really.

Fox has been broadcasting NFL since the 90's. Football fans know them long before they aired CFB in 2011.
The CW has one underperforming short stint with LIV Golf.

The two network histories and the content (NFL vs P12) are not remotely comparable.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2023 09:46 AM by 1845 Bear.)
06-28-2023 09:45 AM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I'd much rather have games on ESPN than on CW or ION.
06-28-2023 11:05 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

No doubt, they're Baylor green. However, Bob Thompson is not known for his love of the big 12, he's spent the past year pumping up the Pac. Wilner linked the article, too. That's a pretty strong endorsement from sources not known for their love of the big 12.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2023 11:09 AM by bryanw1995.)
06-28-2023 11:06 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
College athletics are cyclical as The ACC and The Big Ten can certainly attest. One of the primary reasons The SEC has been so successful is their consistency in football. Fans like watching winners.

The idea The Big 12 can continue its recent success in football and basketball, while the conference is in flux again, is asking a lot.

Lets look at these same metrics in 5 or 6 years.

It is interesting Sam Bradshaw used the last 3 years. Probably the best 3 years in the conference for programs not named Texas or Oklahoma.

If The Big 12 can continue to be successful, perhaps they can challenge The SEC. If not The Big 12 will slip back into the same pack with The Big Ten, The ACC and The PAC.

Good stuff
06-28-2023 12:06 PM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
(06-28-2023 11:06 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  

No doubt, they're Baylor green. However, Bob Thompson is not known for his love of the big 12, he's spent the past year pumping up the Pac. Wilner linked the article, too. That's a pretty strong endorsement from sources not known for their love of the big 12.

Ehh? The thrust of the author’s argument seems to be that the B12 is uniquely positioned to gain the most “Big Viewership Windows” on television. Specifically,

1) B1G had 43 games on “Big Viewership Windows” with 14 teams and he’s predicting a potential of 46 games on “Big Viewership Windows”. In other words, the B1G expands with USC and UCLA and its potential for games on “Big Viewership Windows” expands by 7%.

2) SEC had 38 games on “Big Viewership Windows” with 14 teams and he’s forecasting a potential of 41 “Big Viewership Windows” in the future. The SEC will expand with blue bloods football programs (Oklahoma and Texas) and make the same incremental gain as the B1G.

3) B12 had 18 games on “Big Viewership Windows” as a 10-team conference and (per the author) has the potential for 28 games on “Big Viewership Windows” going forward. He’s predicting a 56% potential growth in B12 games during critical time-slots…more than all other FBS conferences combined.

Given that the future is uncertain, he’s presenting a very optimistic view for the B12 (the homer perspective).
06-28-2023 12:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.