Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Volleyball schedule
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
Volleyball schedule
It never was announced like the soccer schedules, so perhaps it’s still being tweaked. But it is listed on the site for 2023.

https://www.gocsucougars.com/sports/wome...l/schedule

It’s a very nice, but challenging schedule.

Hosting Northern Illinois, UC Irvine, Southeast Missouri, Jacksonville State, Milwaukee, Western Illinois, Evansville, and Hartford. I believe Hartford is not D1 this year, but probably honoring a return trip owed from Chicago going there last season.

Traveling to Northern Illinois, Oakland, also playing Eastern Michigan and Kansas City there, Evansville, Western Illinois, Tennessee, West Virginia, Florida State, New Mexico State and UTEP.

I suspect a few more games will be played at Florida State, WVU, and possibly Tennessee. Hard to tell, but I suspect.

Hosting at least 8 home matches is outstanding. 3 P5 teams is a real challenge. Still good relationships with Western Illinois and Northern Illinois, getting home and homes from each, as well as Evansville. Former conference mate New Mexico State has showed up on numerous CSU schedules last season and this season, so good to see former conference mates will still scheduling the Cougars. Same as in MBB last season.

Florida State and Tennessee were both tournament teams last season.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2023 10:39 PM by Todor.)
08-07-2023 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
RE: Volleyball schedule
Looking at this year's roster, I think we will win our share of those games.
08-08-2023 08:30 AM
Todor Offline
Heisman

Here’s some of what’s on the roster. Things look pretty good.

“The Cougars are a veteran-dominated team led by seniors Yanlis Feliz (6'0" outside hitter), Mesalina Severino (6'1" middle blocker), Maria Fernanda Lopez Torres Tapia (5'10" outside hitter) and Whitney Barnes (5'11" outside hitter). Feliz was the 2021 Western Athletic Conference Player of the Year, the first such honor for a Chicago State student-athlete and was also named an AVCA All-American (Honorable Mention), becoming the first AVCA All-American in Chicago State history”

Looks like 2 Americans and the rest Internationals. Whitney Barnes from California, mentioned above, is one of the better players. Another is from Illinois.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2023 03:19 AM by Todor.)
08-24-2023 03:13 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Good roster. We need to win all we can this season, because we have four key seniors (although these days I am never sure if they are Covid seniors or regular seniors).
08-24-2023 11:08 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

It looks like from the early results that the two newcomers (Lagida and Zagumny) are going to be good ones.
08-25-2023 07:26 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

How realistic are our chances of an at-large in volleyball? I realize it was only a couple of years or so ago that we did it, but at our level, if we have a strong season is it something that we can expect?
08-27-2023 06:47 PM
Advertisement

joshadam84 Offline

I Root For: Chicago State
If they can be above .500 (when is very possible) then they could get another NIVC bid.

Now, I truly think they have a great squad this year. A lot of upperclassmen as well as height. Their new freshmen, Laguna and Zagummy, have been impressive. It’d take a consistent effort but their schedule definitely affords the opportunity for an at large.
08-27-2023 08:29 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

Next, the Cougars host the Windy City Invitational, UC Irvine coming in, along with Jacksonville State and Southeast Missouri.

UC Irvine has started out 0-3 with losses to Seton Hall 0-3, San Francisco 1-3, and New Mexico 2-3.

Jacksonville State is 1-2, with 0-3 losses to Coppin State and Auburn, and a 3-2 win over McNeese.

SEMO is 2-1, with a 3-0 win over Evansville, a 3-1 win versus Central Michigan and. 1-3 loss to SIU.

Playing at home, it’s a great opportunity to get some good wins. Irvine is a strong program and the Big West plays a high level of volleyball. UCI was 20-10 last season and 13-7 in the conference. Irvine is picked in the middle of the pack in the BW preseason poll, similar to where they finished last season.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2023 12:12 AM by Todor.)
08-28-2023 12:00 AM
Todor Offline
Heisman

Next games are the Oakland Tournament. OU is 3-3, Eastern Michigan is 1-5, and UMKC is 6-0.

On top of having the best record, KC has also played a little stronger competition I think. But none of them have played any powerhouse programs by a long shot.

I’d guess the Cougars come out of the weekend 2-1 or 3-0.
09-06-2023 05:36 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

Chicago State cruised by previously undefeated Missouri Kansas City 3-1.

Next up is Eastern Michigan, and host Oakland on Saturday.

Both upcoming opponents are .500 or below, so there is a good chance Chicago State emerges 7-1 from the tournament.
09-08-2023 04:15 PM
joshadam84 Offline

Not sure what happened against EMU other than they fell short. All three sets were close. Very disappointing loss though as EMU only had one win coming into this match..
09-08-2023 06:55 PM
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

(09-08-2023 06:55 PM)joshadam84 Wrote:  Not sure what happened against EMU other than they fell short. All three sets were close. Very disappointing loss though as EMU only had one win coming into this match..

Even down by 2, if they’d won the third I think they could have pulled it out. 3 close games…

That really sucked. I really thought the Cougars would get out with 3 wins after the KC win.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2023 09:36 PM by Todor.)
09-08-2023 08:49 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

With the 3-0 win over host Oakland University, Chicago State sealed the win of the Oakland Tournament.

The Cougars move to 6-2 on the season.

Next up they head to Knoxville to play the Tennessee Volunteers on the 14th and the Evansville Aces the day after.
09-09-2023 06:09 PM
joshadam84 Offline

I’m hoping they can shock Tennessee in their next one. Would be an amazing feat, and help make up a bit for their loss to EMU.
09-09-2023 07:17 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

(09-09-2023 07:17 PM)joshadam84 Wrote:  I’m hoping they can shock Tennessee in their next one. Would be an amazing feat, and help make up a bit for their loss to EMU.

Tennessee is 6-1 versus a mediocre schedule. Wins versus Texas State, Marist, UT Martin, San Diego, Boston College and Loyola Chicago.

It’s a great opportunity, for sure.
09-09-2023 08:04 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

Bad loss to Tennessee. They were the much better team. 25-13, 25-14, 24-13.

I thought Chicago State would put up a better showing and maybe take a game.
09-14-2023 08:06 PM
Advertisement

joshadam84 Offline

A great way to respond today and sweep Evansville, 25-20, 25-20, 25-13. Next match is on the 19th against Milwaukee.
09-15-2023 05:27 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

(09-15-2023 05:27 PM)joshadam84 Wrote:  A great way to respond today and sweep Evansville, 25-20, 25-20, 25-13. Next match is on the 19th against Milwaukee.

And Evansville is on the schedule twice more. A home and home. Even 2 out 3 would be good unless they are a really just a horrible team. It’s hard to keep beating the same team.
09-15-2023 08:29 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

For those keeping track, Chicago State volleyball stands at 7-3 right now.
09-16-2023 11:26 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

(09-16-2023 11:26 PM)Todor Wrote:  For those keeping track, Chicago State volleyball stands at 7-3 right now.

I'll take it!
09-17-2023 07:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.