Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Can you see the SEC remaining at 18 or 20 if the B1G goes to 24?
Bookmark and Share
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
Can you see the SEC remaining at 18 or 20 if the B1G goes to 24?
The SEC & B1G have different needs for expansion. FSU & Clemson is content and blocks the B1G but doesn't add any new territories for the SEC. Also, the SEC really doesn't need to add new territories for recruiting like the B1G does. NC & Va. are really the only new prime territory adds for the SEC. I don't think they view NC St. & Va. Tech as prime additions but I could be wrong.

So if the B1G goes to 23 to bring in ND, do you think the SEC could decide to stay at 18 or 20 long term while the B1G has 24? I'm trying to leave out who goes where, its more about the number of teams in each league long term.
10-11-2023 12:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Can you see the SEC remaining at 18 or 20 if the B1G goes to 24?
(10-11-2023 12:47 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  The SEC & B1G have different needs for expansion. FSU & Clemson is content and blocks the B1G but doesn't add any new territories for the SEC. Also, the SEC really doesn't need to add new territories for recruiting like the B1G does. NC & Va. are really the only new prime territory adds for the SEC. I don't think they view NC St. & Va. Tech as prime additions but I could be wrong.

So if the B1G goes to 23 to bring in ND, do you think the SEC could decide to stay at 18 or 20 long term while the B1G has 24? I'm trying to leave out who goes where, its more about the number of teams in each league long term.

Depends on who becomes available. SEC will definitely take UNC; they are the ace jewel the B1G and SEC will fight over. FSU and Clemson are strong brands the SEC would rather not have in the B1G. I’m not sure the SEC wants Miami, probably would rather pass on them as they could be a headache and liability later.

Numbers won’t matter as much as quality will.
10-11-2023 05:14 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(10-11-2023 12:47 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  The SEC & B1G have different needs for expansion. FSU & Clemson is content and blocks the B1G but doesn't add any new territories for the SEC. Also, the SEC really doesn't need to add new territories for recruiting like the B1G does. NC & Va. are really the only new prime territory adds for the SEC. I don't think they view NC St. & Va. Tech as prime additions but I could be wrong.

It will simply depend upon how much inventory ESPN will need for 3 channels with three broadcast times for football each on Saturday, ABC (which has an option to air the SEC in the prime evening slot if they desire) and the two games obligated to the SECN.

If the SEC landed Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina and one of Miami, Duke, or Virginia/Virginia Tech, I think they would be well satisfied at 20. But that's 10 games minus bye weeks so 9 spread out over 14 weeks. The math doesn't work well. Make it 24 and everything is covered. It is why the question is better suited to ESPN, or perhaps FOX who will have a similar dilemma with CBS claiming one, NBC, one, and FOX54 three, FS1 three, and FS2 possibly carrying some and the BTN taking 2.

Everyone on the main board is arguing that after USC/UCLA and OU/UT that nobody but N.D. is additive. Some will say N.D., FSU, and UNC are the only additive properties. It's nonsense. When OU and UT joined the SEC the new contract doesn't add for new additions, it pays pro rata. Why? Because ESPN was already looking at what a diminished ACC would be worth, and how many games they needed for inventory and knew that if the SEC expanded out of the ACC that they would need enough schools moved to make it work.

I doubt that Notre Dame wants to join the SEC, it's possible but they want to play a national schedule and keep a game in California.

ESPN isn't going to let FOX take any properties early, especially properties in which ESPN desires to keep a 100% interest. They hang onto Clemson, FSU, and UNC and those will likely head to the SEC. I have a sneaking suspicion that the 4th hasn't been named because it is Duke and that would piss off UNC's state connections which approve their move. For the same reason I think N.C. State will also show up in the SEC as a cinch to the deal and to preserve the research triangle's conference connections. It would please the presidents.

When FOX gets a bone it will be Notre Dame's freedom to finally join them, Stanford, Virginia, and Miami (if ESPN wants to give up their monopoly in Florida), Georgia Tech if not. That move will take the Big 10 to 22. Toss in California and either one of the 4 corners or Kansas and they are at 24 with a more geographically balanced conference. The SEC picks up N.C. State, Virginia Tech, one of Georgia Tech/Miami, and possibly Kansas and they have 24.

Neither the Big 10 nor the SEC is likely to take Boston College, Pittsburgh, or Syracuse. The SEC if it doesn't land Kansas could look at Louisville.

Now there is another possibility. The SEC and ESPN both know they are going to 24 and ESPN moves the whole Magnificent 7 plus Duke to the SEC. The Big 10 looks to add Notre Dame, Stanford, Cal, and Kansas to 22 and then looks to the 4 corners to pick up 2 more, or simply stops at 22.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2023 05:22 PM by JRsec.)
10-11-2023 05:18 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
With all of Disney/ESPN financial concerns (Hulu purchase, falling stock, NBA contract renewal) I just don't see where the money comes from for further expansion this decade.
10-12-2023 10:25 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-12-2023 10:25 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  With all of Disney/ESPN financial concerns (Hulu purchase, falling stock, NBA contract renewal) I just don't see where the money comes from for further expansion this decade.

ESPN can actually cut overhead and increase the profit in some schools with expansion out of the ACC, even with a goodly number going to the SEC.

For instance a T1 game for the ACC earns them about 14 million. Put Clemson, FSU, North Carolina, Virginia Tech or Miami in the SEC and its 24 million per T1 game which averages out to about 3 per school. The cost to move the schools to the SEC would be 35 million each, but if each school earns ESPN 30 million more per year for just 3 of their 12 games ESPN virtually recoups its overhead increase and profits on the other 9 games each. ESPN has less overhead and if they can roll the ACCN into the SECN it saves them 100 million a year in expenses and they still have a profitable product.

Then if the Big 10 takes any of those schools ESPN saves 40 million for each one taken, and if the Big 12 takes any ESPN saves 10 million per school for those moves.

Face it. I you take the ACC footprint and roll Miami, Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, and Virginia Tech (the so called Magnificent 7) into the SEC. ESPN holds 3/4ths of the total value of the ACC in those 7 schools. Those are the Deep South schools which keep ESPN's monopoly South of North Carolina. Toss in Georgia Tech for #8 and it is the monopoly. This is the advertising bonanza area for ESPN. Pitt, Syracuse, B.C. and Louisville to the Big 12. California, Stanford, Notre Dame, and Duke to the Big 10, and yes it is still profitable.

Even if ESPN separates its top brands from the rest of the ACC and backfills they still earn a little bit more.

Whether this happens or not will depend on how badly some want out of the ACC and well they negotiate with the remaining schools. All of them know their situations. Exit fees for 4 departing schools would net the other current 11 ACC members 3.6 million a year for the next 12 years.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2023 12:22 PM by JRsec.)
10-12-2023 10:43 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
My theory has been that if the SEC takes 4 then it's Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, and Virginia.

I tend to think if we're going to 24 then the Magnificent 7 is on deck with one wildcard.
10-13-2023 04:35 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(10-13-2023 04:35 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  My theory has been that if the SEC takes 4 then it's Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, and Virginia.

I tend to think if we're going to 24 then the Magnificent 7 is on deck with one wildcard.

I do think the SEC would be the preference for many schools. However, the B1G is obviously a tremendous conference. With the right leadership and relationships in place, a school like Virginia or even North Carolina might pick the B1G when the time comes to make a decision.
10-15-2023 09:38 PM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(10-15-2023 09:38 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(10-13-2023 04:35 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  My theory has been that if the SEC takes 4 then it's Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, and Virginia.

I do think the SEC would be the preference for many schools. However, the B1G is obviously a tremendous conference. With the right leadership and relationships in place, a school like Virginia or even North Carolina might pick the B1G when the time comes to make a decision.

I think it’s a battle between the SEC and B1G to acquire UNC.

If anyone listens to Greg Flugar, he’s got Sankey finally enter the “Holy Smokes” realignment theatre. Basically, the SEC is being proactive in realignment as opposed to using only back channels for communication. As of now he thinks FSU and Clemson are leaning SEC while UNC is still undecided—along with Notre Dame.

So the SEC commissioner enters this imaginary play and a few days later an article appears about more oversight of UNC schools before they leave the ACC with a preference that UNC and NC State stay in the same conference.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-system.../21100224/

B1G might, might be willing to grab Duke to persuade UNC to join them, while I’m guessing the SEC would take or also take the wolf pack. A lot of time and drama left in this…we’ll see how things shape out.

If the SEC secures FSU, Clemson, UNC and NC State…a Virginia school or a Notre Dame could also be looked at after that—in my opinion.
10-17-2023 07:14 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-17-2023 07:14 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

If anyone listens to Greg Flugar, he’s got Sankey finally enter the “Holy Smokes” realignment theatre. Basically, the SEC is being proactive in realignment as opposed to using only back channels for communication. As of now he thinks FSU and Clemson are leaning SEC while UNC is still undecided—along with Notre Dame.

So the SEC commissioner enters this imaginary play and a few days later an article appears about more oversight of UNC schools before they leave the ACC with a preference that UNC and NC State stay in the same conference.

B1G might, might be willing to grab Duke to persuade UNC to join them, while I’m guessing the SEC would take or also take the wolf pack. A lot of time and drama left in this…we’ll see how things shape out.

If the SEC secures FSU, Clemson, UNC and NC State…a Virginia school or a Notre Dame could also be looked at after that—in my opinion.

The SEC could take Clemson, Duke, Florida State, North Carolina, N.C. State, and Virginia Tech and still have room for Kansas and Notre Dame. And if we want to limit Big 10 exposure to just the tip of Florida we could take Georgia Tech and Kansas if Notre Dame heads North.

Sankey last week referred to conversations with Petitti about limiting consolidation, in other words agreeing as to what each would do to possibly minimize expansion to perhaps 20 each.

We'll see. It's going to come out in the wash. I've been through three of these already and one thing is consistent. Northerners raise mighty claims each time about what they are going to take to become all powerful and what have they acquired? 4 schools from the least watched conference in America, Rutgers and Maryland, a once great Nebraska which can't find its way back up, and Penn State.

Meanwhile the SEC has added Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Arkansas, South Carolina and Missouri. In other words 4 of our original targets, with Clemson and FSU now wanting in. Plus South Carolina and Missouri. Yet they are going to raid us or our area and prove the that the Big 10 is still supreme.

Same song 4th verse bet the results are even worse!
10-17-2023 07:33 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(10-17-2023 07:33 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

The SEC could take Clemson, Duke, Florida State, North Carolina, N.C. State, and Virginia Tech and still have room for Kansas and Notre Dame. And if we want to limit Big 10 exposure to just the tip of Florida we could take Georgia Tech and Kansas if Notre Dame heads North.

Sankey last week referred to conversations with Petitti about limiting consolidation, in other words agreeing as to what each would do to possibly minimize expansion to perhaps 20 each.

We'll see. It's going to come out in the wash. I've been through three of these already and one thing is consistent. Northerners raise mighty claims each time about what they are going to take to become all powerful and what have they acquired? 4 schools from the least watched conference in America, Rutgers and Maryland, a once great Nebraska which can't find its way back up, and Penn State.

Meanwhile the SEC has added Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Arkansas, South Carolina and Missouri. In other words 4 of our original targets, with Clemson and FSU now wanting in. Plus South Carolina and Missouri. Yet they are going to raid us or our area and prove the that the Big 10 is still supreme.

At 20, the B1G is limited. I would guess they'd target Notre Dame and Miami, in that order. The SEC would then be able to bring in Clemson, Florida St, North Carolina, and one of: Duke, Kansas, North Carolina St, Virginia, or Virginia Tech. Let's say Virginia.

That now puts the ACC at 12 and XII at 16. At this point, I think the XII tries to lure ACC schools: Georgia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina St, and Virginia Tech.

Here is where I get a little more "out there." I think the Big East now grows from 11 to 16 with: Boston College, Duke, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Wake Forest. California, Oregon St, Stanford, and Washington St join the Big West. These 9 schools plus Connecticut restart Big East football.

The MWC, at 12, grows to 24 with Army*, East Carolina, Memphis, Navy*, Rice, SMU, South Florida, Temple, Tulane, Tulsa, UAB, UTSA, and Wichita St^. Florida Atlantic and North Texas rejoin the Sun Belt. Charlotte goes to CUSA.

What does this look like for conferences mentioned above?

B1G
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio St, Oregon, Penn St, Purdue, Rutgers, UCLA, USC, Washington, Wisconsin

SEC
Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida St, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Virginia

XX
Arizona, Arizona St, Baylor, BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Houston, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Louisville, North Carolina St, Oklahoma St, TCU, Texas Tech, Utah, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

Big East
All Sports: Boston College, Connecticut, Duke, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Wake Forest
Non-Football: Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's, Villanova, Xavier
Football-Only: California, Oregon St, Stanford, Washington St

Big West
California, Cal Poly, Cal St Bakersfield, Cal St Fullerton, Cal St Northridge, Hawaii, Long Beach St, Oregon St, Stanford, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, Washington St

MWC
Central: Navy*, Rice, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, UTSA
Eastern: Army*, East Carolina, Memphis, South Florida, Temple, UAB
Mountain: Air Force, Boise St, Colorado St, New Mexico, Utah St, Wyoming
Pacific: Fresno St, Hawaii*, Nevada, San Diego St, San Jose St, UNLV
* Football-Only
^ Non-Football: Wichita St

SBC
East: Appalachian St, Coastal Carolina, Florida Atlantic, Georgia Southern, Georgia St, James Madison, Marshall, Old Dominion
South: Arkansas St, North Texas, South Alabama, Southern Miss, Texas St, Troy, UL Lafayette, UL Monroe

CUSA
Charlotte, Florida International, Jacksonville St, Kennesaw St, Liberty, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee St, New Mexico St, Sam Houston St, UTEP, Western Kentucky
10-18-2023 11:00 AM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(10-18-2023 11:00 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  

At 20, the B1G is limited. I would guess they'd target Notre Dame and Miami, in that order. The SEC would then be able to bring in Clemson, Florida St, North Carolina, and one of: Duke, Kansas, North Carolina St, Virginia, or Virginia Tech. Let's say Virginia.

That now puts the ACC at 12 and XII at 16. At this point, I think the XII tries to lure ACC schools: Georgia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina St, and Virginia Tech.

Here is where I get a little more "out there." I think the Big East now grows from 11 to 16 with: Boston College, Duke, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Wake Forest. California, Oregon St, Stanford, and Washington St join the Big West. These 9 schools plus Connecticut restart Big East football.

The MWC, at 12, grows to 24 with Army*, East Carolina, Memphis, Navy*, Rice, SMU, South Florida, Temple, Tulane, Tulsa, UAB, UTSA, and Wichita St^. Florida Atlantic and North Texas rejoin the Sun Belt. Charlotte goes to CUSA.

B1G
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio St, Oregon, Penn St, Purdue, Rutgers, UCLA, USC, Washington, Wisconsin

SEC
Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida St, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Virginia

XX
Arizona, Arizona St, Baylor, BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Houston, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Louisville, North Carolina St, Oklahoma St, TCU, Texas Tech, Utah, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

Big East
All Sports: Boston College, Connecticut, Duke, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Wake Forest
Non-Football: Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's, Villanova, Xavier

Big West
California, Cal Poly, Cal St Bakersfield, Cal St Fullerton, Cal St Northridge, Hawaii, Long Beach St, Oregon St, Stanford, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, Washington St

MWC
* Football-Only

SBC
East: Appalachian St, Coastal Carolina, Florida Atlantic, Georgia Southern, Georgia St, James Madison, Marshall, Old Dominion
South: Arkansas St, North Texas, South Alabama, Southern Miss, Texas St, Troy, UL Lafayette, UL Monroe

CUSA
Charlotte, Florida International, Jacksonville St, Kennesaw St, Liberty, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee St, New Mexico St, Sam Houston St, UTEP, Western Kentucky

TerryD has said before nothing is changing with Notre Dame. Taking him @ face value, I'm guessing the B1G would go after UVa & Miami. About the only attractive options from a football standpoint would be Arizona State, Colorado, Utah, & Louisville. If it's Arizona State, expect Arizona to tag along. Duke, Cal, & Stanford would be available at any time, IMO. Kansas is the wildcard and could easily wind up in either the SEC or the B1G.
10-18-2023 02:49 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(10-18-2023 02:49 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(10-18-2023 11:00 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(10-15-2023 09:38 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I do think the SEC would be the preference for many schools. However, the B1G is obviously a tremendous conference. With the right leadership and relationships in place, a school like Virginia or even North Carolina might pick the B1G when the time comes to make a decision.

B1G

SEC

XX

Big East

Big West

MWC
* Football-Only

SBC

CUSA

TerryD has said before nothing is changing with Notre Dame. Taking him @ face value, I'm guessing the B1G would go after UVa & Miami. About the only attractive options from a football standpoint would be Arizona State, Colorado, Utah, & Louisville. If it's Arizona State, expect Arizona to tag along. Duke, Cal, & Stanford would be available at any time, IMO. Kansas is the wildcard and could easily wind up in either the SEC or the B1G.

That’s true. So much of what’s on this board is pie-in-the-sky but let’s do the following:

> Notre Dame to Big East / Independent (3-5 games per year versus Big East football schools)
> Virginia to B1G
> Virginia Tech to SEC
> South Florida to XX
> Florida Atlantic to MWC
> Delaware to SBC
> All other changes remain the same
10-19-2023 08:49 AM
Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty, UF
Looking at the SEC's moves, it appears that they'd prefer to remain in the driver's seat & only move as seems fit to them, rather than be reactive to another conference. They grabbed the two they wanted this go around, even after the B1G grabbed more PAC members. I don't foresee Sankey & the SEC being reactive ever, unless something drastic were to take the rug out from under them.
10-19-2023 01:17 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-19-2023 01:17 PM)Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51 Wrote:  Looking at the SEC's moves, it appears that they'd prefer to remain in the driver's seat & only move as seems fit to them, rather than be reactive to another conference. They grabbed the two they wanted this go around, even after the B1G grabbed more PAC members. I don't foresee Sankey & the SEC being reactive ever, unless something drastic were to take the rug out from under them.

The completion of the plan from 1990 would be Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina and Virginia, though you may see Duke or N.C. State in place of Virginia, unless the SEC knows we will move to 24. In that case the moves could be wholesale. But, it will be proactive.
10-19-2023 01:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.