Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UT at Miami
Bookmark and Share
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
UT at Miami
This is obviously a big game since both teams are 6-1 and the only 3-0 teams in conference play, but it would have been a special game even if those things were not true since the teams have not played since 2011 and Toledo's last visit to Oxford was in 2009. I am going to assume that the Rockets will bring a big crowd for this showdown. Here are some things that are different about our facilities since 2009. High up on the hill overlooking the Stadium behind the South end zone is our weight training and athletic academic center. Behind the North end zone is our new football locker room facility which includes a theater with a couple hundred seats and student lounges. Behind that is our Indoor football field.

We built a Cradle of Coaches facility inside the stadium behind the scoreboard in the South end zone. In order to have your own personal statue you have to either have won a National Championship or been the National Coach of the Year in college or have won a Super Bowl or an NFL championship pre Super Bowl in the NFL. I think there are now 9 statues, with the two most recent being John Harbaugh of the Ravens and Sean McVea of the Rams.

Here are a few interesting facts gleaned from the Miami game notes: Miami leads Toledo 28-22 all time. UT has not won in Oxford since 1992. Miami is 37-16 in their last 53 MAC games, best in the MAC during that time period. Toledo is the defending MAC champion and was also the preseason favorite to win it again. Miami is the only D1 team in the nation with 4 road wins. All time Miami leads the MAC in victories with 719,That number is 3rd all time among current G5 teams, behind only Navy 736 and Army 722 ( we could possibly catch Army this year). Looking at the matchup for Saturday, Toledo is a 1.5 point favorite. Something to watch is that Toledo has only given up 2 sacks all year while Miami leads the MAC in getting sacks with 17.

Feel free to add any other interesting facts.
10-17-2023 09:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
RE: UT at Miami
Toledo made better half time adjustments against us.
10-17-2023 09:22 PM
MacLord Offline
All American

I Root For:
Totally insane that they haven’t played in that long.
10-17-2023 09:29 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(10-17-2023 09:29 PM)MacLord Wrote:  Totally insane that they haven’t played in that long.

They both UMass this year.
10-17-2023 09:37 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
Miami better have 25,000 plus for this game. I don’t know what your capacity is but this should be a well attended game
10-17-2023 09:57 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
No way Miami has been better in the MAC the last... Oh, MAC East schedule without playing US.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2023 10:28 PM by UofToledoFans.)
10-17-2023 10:27 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-17-2023 09:05 PM)DICK Wrote:  This is obviously a big game since both teams are 6-1 and the only 3-0 teams in conference play, but it would have been a special game even if those things were not true since the teams have not played since 2011 and Toledo's last visit to Oxford was in 2009. I am going to assume that the Rockets will bring a big crowd for this showdown. Here are some things that are different about our facilities since 2009. High up on the hill overlooking the Stadium behind the South end zone is our weight training and athletic academic center. Behind the North end zone is our new football locker room facility which includes a theater with a couple hundred seats and student lounges. Behind that is our Indoor football field.

We built a Cradle of Coaches facility inside the stadium behind the scoreboard in the South end zone. In order to have your own personal statue you have to either have won a National Championship or been the National Coach of the Year in college or have won a Super Bowl or an NFL championship pre Super Bowl in the NFL. I think there are now 9 statues, with the two most recent being John Harbaugh of the Ravens and Sean McVea of the Rams.

Here are a few interesting facts gleaned from the Miami game notes: Miami leads Toledo 28-22 all time. UT has not won in Oxford since 1992. Miami is 37-16 in their last 53 MAC games, best in the MAC during that time period. Toledo is the defending MAC champion and was also the preseason favorite to win it again. Miami is the only D1 team in the nation with 4 road wins. All time Miami leads the MAC in victories with 719,That number is 3rd all time among current G5 teams, behind only Navy 736 and Army 722 ( we could possibly catch Army this year). Looking at the matchup for Saturday, Toledo is a 1.5 point favorite. Something to watch is that Toledo has only given up 2 sacks all year while Miami leads the MAC in getting sacks with 17.

You guys have given up 64 sacks to our 1. You defend the run worse than the pass and Boone/Finn is the best running duo maybe in the nation. You like to move it thru the air where Toledo is 16th in the nation defending.
10-17-2023 10:51 PM
WesternDave Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
Having seen both teams play this season I think Miami is the better team.
10-17-2023 11:58 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
The Sporting News has just selected Miami Jr. place kicker Graham Nicholson as the mid season All American place kicker. Nicholson is 13 for 13 on field goals and 23 for 23 on PAT's so far this season. He is 7 for 7 on 40+ fg's with a long of 52 yards. On kickoffs 25 out of 38 have not been returned.
10-18-2023 09:26 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(10-18-2023 09:26 AM)DICK Wrote:  The Sporting News has just selected Miami Jr. place kicker Graham Nicholson as the mid season All American place kicker. Nicholson is 13 for 13 on field goals and 23 for 23 on PAT's so far this season. He is 7 for 7 on 40+ fg's with a long of 52 yards. On kickoffs 25 out of 38 have not been returned.

So you're saying Nicholson is due to miss one?03-lmfao
10-18-2023 10:02 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-18-2023 09:26 AM)DICK Wrote:  The Sporting News has just selected Miami Jr. place kicker Graham Nicholson as the mid season All American place kicker. Nicholson is 13 for 13 on field goals and 23 for 23 on PAT's so far this season. He is 7 for 7 on 40+ fg's with a long of 52 yards. On kickoffs 25 out of 38 have not been returned.

Luke Pawlak for Toledo is 7/8 and 29/29 on PATs. Toledo punches it in a bit more often in the redzone to this point.
10-18-2023 10:05 AM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Tim Rose coached at both Miami O and the University of Toledo.
He engineered Miami's biggest win @#8 LSU.
10-18-2023 10:06 AM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(10-17-2023 09:29 PM)MacLord Wrote:  Totally insane that they haven’t played in that long.

Yeah, with Toledo having the locked Bowling Green crossover, that reduces their games against other East division schools, and then Ball State / Miami is the other cross-over game to make the scheduling easier (and I guess Ball State wants it), which makes Miami see the other western division school less often.

Combine the two, Toledo/Miami is the rarest conference game under the current scheduling system.
10-18-2023 11:07 AM
bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OHIO
(10-17-2023 09:57 PM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  Miami better have 25,000 plus for this game. I don’t know what your capacity is but this should be a well attended game

03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
10-18-2023 01:40 PM
bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OHIO
(10-17-2023 09:05 PM)DICK Wrote:  This is obviously a big game since both teams are 6-1 and the only 3-0 teams in conference play, but it would have been a special game even if those things were not true since the teams have not played since 2011 and Toledo's last visit to Oxford was in 2009. I am going to assume that the Rockets will bring a big crowd for this showdown. Here are some things that are different about our facilities since 2009. High up on the hill overlooking the Stadium behind the South end zone is our weight training and athletic academic center. Behind the North end zone is our new football locker room facility which includes a theater with a couple hundred seats and student lounges. Behind that is our Indoor football field.

03-yawn
10-18-2023 01:41 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-17-2023 09:57 PM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  Miami better have 25,000 plus for this game. I don’t know what your capacity is but this should be a well attended game

25,000 would be the current capacity. I don't think we have had a crowd that big since Roethlisberger graduated. Oxford is a village with a permanent population of 10,000 and most of them make their living from the university or student body. We do have almost 18,000 students including grad school. We have no newspaper or TV channels and no regular coverage from Cincy or Dayton. We have the most geographically diverse student body in the MAC, and students do not graduate and stay in Oxford, they basically spread out across the country.

Our one big attendance game every year is Parent's weekend, and that was 19,000 this year. That 19,000 was enough to paralyze traffic and parking was a real issue. We do have a home game with UC next season, that will be likely be in the 20-25,000 range. We have not played a bigtime home game on a Saturday for many years. So a well attended game at Miami at this point in time is not what it used to be before all division 1 games being available on TV or the internet and students often having teams from their home areas that they want to watch. They do root hard for Miami, but getting most of them to attend and stay is a difficult ask. Even for alums who like to attend, getting a hotel room within in an hour of campus is difficult.
10-18-2023 03:11 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-18-2023 03:11 PM)DICK Wrote:  

25,000 would be the current capacity. I don't think we have had a crowd that big since Roethlisberger graduated. Oxford is a village with a permanent population of 10,000 and most of them make their living from the university or student body. We do have almost 18,000 students including grad school. We have no newspaper or TV channels and no regular coverage from Cincy or Dayton. We have the most geographically diverse student body in the MAC, and students do not graduate and stay in Oxford, they basically spread out across the country.

Our one big attendance game every year is Parent's weekend, and that was 19,000 this year. That 19,000 was enough to paralyze traffic and parking was a real issue. We do have a home game with UC next season, that will be likely be in the 20-25,000 range. We have not played a bigtime home game on a Saturday for many years. So a well attended game at Miami at this point in time is not what it used to be before all division 1 games being available on TV or the internet and students often having teams from their home areas that they want to watch. They do root hard for Miami, but getting most of them to attend and stay is a difficult ask. Even for alums who like to attend, getting a hotel room within in an hour of campus is difficult.
In Toledo there are thousands of Miami grads. My family has as many as Toledo ones. The senior class of the high school I attended usually had anywhere from 3 or 4 to 25 dudes who would end up in Oxford. We had an usually high Cincy class though for whatever reason. One of the studs on the fb team played LB at Miami and had a nice career although Miami was down pretty bad from 13 to 16. Maybe he will be down there for homecoming. I know some guys in my father's class will def be attending Saturday. I can't remember the last non BG crowd I attended which was rocking for UT. WMU in 2016 was probably it.
10-18-2023 03:34 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

Steve1981 I have some questions. I presume it's possible you attended, but definitely watched both MU and UT play the minutemen. What did you see as a spectator which leads to the Toledo pick? I'm not sure if Phomechan played vs. MU and he was still coming back from injury vs. UT but certainly impressed me. If UMass is truly the worst team in FBS either the MAC is very very bad or this is the best the bottom team has ever been. I generally think the top of FBS has come back to the pack quite a bit as QB play isn't incredibly good at Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State and Michigan. Toledo and Miami have good ones.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2023 03:39 PM by UofToledoFans.)
10-18-2023 03:38 PM
astr083 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State & MAC
Too bad this game was placed on ESPNU, and not ESPN2.... Again, can't seem to understand how Marshall - GA State & JMU - GA Southern from the SBC get the afternoon and prime time games on ESPN2 the last two Saturday's and this game is on ESPNU.....F-ESPN....This deserves more national attention.

Would be great to see a big crowd in Oxford...Hoping the crowd show's up.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2023 04:25 PM by astr083.)
10-18-2023 04:24 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(10-18-2023 04:24 PM)astr083 Wrote:  Too bad this game was placed on ESPNU, and not ESPN2.... Again, can't seem to understand how Marshall - GA State & JMU - GA Southern from the SBC get the afternoon and prime time games on ESPN2 the last two Saturday's and this game is on ESPNU.....F-ESPN....This deserves more national attention.

Would be great to see a big crowd in Oxford...Hoping the crowd show's up.

3:30 pm ESPN2 game is UNT @#23 Tulane.
Dallas-Ft Worth and New Orleans TV markets.
Tulane near top of G-5's for NY6 Bowl.
10-18-2023 04:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.