Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2023 Bahamas Bowl To Move To Alternate Location
Bookmark and Share
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
2023 Bahamas Bowl To Move To Alternate Location
10-19-2023 12:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: 2023 Bahamas Bowl To Move To Alternate Location
[Image: 1024px-4-way_Cincinnati_chili_from_Camp_...OH_USA.jpg]

LFG!
10-19-2023 12:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
DRV PNK Stadium in Ft Lauderdale would be good. Seats 19,100. Soccer Venue that would be similar to Frisco.
10-19-2023 02:39 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Play it in a different Nassau, make it into an arena football game played at Nassau Veterans Coliseum in New York
10-19-2023 04:49 PM
AllBronco Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU
(10-19-2023 12:04 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  https://www.facebook.com/100064679561580...tid=Nif5oz

[Image: FB-IMG-1697734962106.jpg]

[Image: OIP.wgIwlUC36vNZ0e3qjXtyUwHaGE?pid=ImgDet&rs=1]
10-19-2023 05:16 PM
Advertisement

templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
move game to Indianapolis, see if MAC can make it work
you guys did great job with Motor city bowl
10-22-2023 11:14 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(10-19-2023 02:39 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  DRV PNK Stadium in Ft Lauderdale would be good. Seats 19,100. Soccer Venue that would be similar to Frisco.

Yeah, the temporary Bahamas Bowl replacement should be somewhere in South Florida with a 20,000ish capacity -- that sounds good, as does the FIU stadium.
10-23-2023 09:23 PM
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Brett McMurphy reporting this morning that the 2023 Bahamas Bowl will be played Dec. 18 in North Carolina at Charlotte's on-campus stadium:

"Bahamas Bowl will be played at Charlotte's on-campus stadium Dec. 18, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ. Also, Myrtle Beach Bowl moved from Dec. 18 to Dec. 16. Both bowls able to make good situation out of a tough circumstance caused by unexpected late stadium renovations in Bahamas."
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2023 11:14 AM by BeatWestern!.)
10-26-2023 10:59 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
Lame that we’re less than two months from the game and they just realized they want to do some stadium renovations. And surprised they didn’t move the Bahamas Bowl to a somewhat warmer climate.
10-26-2023 07:17 PM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-26-2023 07:17 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  Lame that we’re less than two months from the game and they just realized they want to do some stadium renovations. And surprised they didn’t move the Bahamas Bowl to a somewhat warmer climate.

A FL school campus stadium would've been nice, but I'm guessing their options were probably limited this late in the game.

It won't be shorts and bathing suit weather, but I can think of worst places to be in late December.
10-27-2023 07:52 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-26-2023 07:17 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  ... And surprised they didn’t move the Bahamas Bowl to a somewhat warmer climate.

It's better than the Frisco bowl ... these temporary substitute locations tend to be places that already have bowls operating, since getting a bowl committee together for a bowl that is only going to be played one time at that location isn't a sure thing. The Myrtle Beach bowl is already a MAC affiliated bowl, so this isn't surprising.

A 20K-ish stadium in South Florida would have been a better substitute, but this is likely a more practical one.

The Bahamas are the far northern end of the Eastern Caribbean, so late, unexpected "stadium renovations" could well mean there was some hidden storm damage, so when the stands filled up when they hosted Guyana in the CONCACAF qualifiers in September, something gave way, and when they were preparing to host Antigua earlier this month, they discovered it, so they patched it up for the last two qualifiers they host and had to schedule the permanent repairs for the time that the National Stadium is largely unused ... the fall local youth tournament concludes this month, so the Puerto Rico International in November is the last big fall soccer match, and the spring youth competitions don't start up until next year ... and obviously the HS athletics championships won't be until the end of spring term.

After all, if the Bahamas Bowl is a tourism ad done during a time that the National Stadium would otherwise be vacant, that means it is also done during the time that would normally be used for doing work on the Stadium.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2023 08:17 AM by BruceMcF.)
10-27-2023 08:13 AM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-26-2023 07:17 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  Lame that we’re less than two months from the game and they just realized they want to do some stadium renovations. And surprised they didn’t move the Bahamas Bowl to a somewhat warmer climate.

Perhaps you have never vacationed in the Islands. Every thing moves at a slower pace. Don’t worry, be happy. They get around to it eventually.
10-27-2023 09:14 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-27-2023 09:14 AM)DICK Wrote:  

Perhaps you have never vacationed in the Islands. Every thing moves at a slower pace. Don’t worry, be happy. They get around to it eventually.

The Fyre Festival guy learned that the hard way, lol.
10-27-2023 09:18 AM
Advertisement

astr083 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State & MAC
(10-27-2023 08:13 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(10-26-2023 07:17 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  ... And surprised they didn’t move the Bahamas Bowl to a somewhat warmer climate.

It's better than the Frisco bowl ... these temporary substitute locations tend to be places that already have bowls operating, since getting a bowl committee together for a bowl that is only going to be played one time at that location isn't a sure thing. The Myrtle Beach bowl is already a MAC affiliated bowl, so this isn't surprising.

A 20K-ish stadium in South Florida would have been a better substitute, but this is likely a more practical one.

The Bahamas are the far northern end of the Eastern Caribbean, so late, unexpected "stadium renovations" could well mean there was some hidden storm damage, so when the stands filled up when they hosted Guyana in the CONCACAF qualifiers in September, something gave way, and when they were preparing to host Antigua earlier this month, they discovered it, so they patched it up for the last two qualifiers they host and had to schedule the permanent repairs for the time that the National Stadium is largely unused ... the fall local youth tournament concludes this month, so the Puerto Rico International in November is the last big fall soccer match, and the spring youth competitions don't start up until next year ... and obviously the HS athletics championships won't be until the end of spring term.

After all, if the Bahamas Bowl is a tourism ad done during a time that the National Stadium would otherwise be vacant, that means it is also done during the time that would normally be used for doing work on the Stadium.

I mean if this game is not going to be played in the Bahamas or a warm weather location, we might as well start bowl games in Columbus, Indy, or Cincy........ These cities are far better destinations for MAC teams than Montgomery AL, Myrtle Beach, SC, Frisco, TX or Charlotte, NC.... These locations are not even warm the time of year the games are played, and they turn out to be quasi home games for the C-USA, SBC, and AAC opponents MAC teams will have to play.... It's annoying.... Get more northern locations for bowls in place of some of these awful games in small cities of the deep South.

Any MAC fans living in the Midwest/Northeast looking to spend $300 or more for a plane ticket to Montgomery, AL; Frisco, TX; Myrtle Beach, SC; or Charlotte, NC in December is nuts.... Or at the very least related to one of the players.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2023 12:25 PM by astr083.)
10-27-2023 12:21 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I'd consider going to Charlotte if the Broncos played there (obviously not going anywhere this season).

Charlotte is no Nassau, weather-wise, but average high temp is low-mid 50s that time of year. Nothing wrong with that especially in a major city with tons to do. And this appears to be a temporary thing anyway for this year.

For any Midwest bowl, we should be trying to strike a deal with Indy or St. Louis. Cincy and Columbus outdoors could be rough.
10-27-2023 12:48 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-27-2023 12:21 PM)astr083 Wrote:  ... I mean if this game is not going to be played in the Bahamas or a warm weather location, we might as well start bowl games in Columbus, Indy, or Cincy...

It is "going to be played" in the Bahamas, just not this year.

You can't get a bowl game started in Columbus, Indy or Cincy for a single year, and then shut it down again ... you won't be able to organize the bowl committee on that basis, because just to cover their own operating costs, they will need multi-year sponsorships.
10-27-2023 01:51 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(10-27-2023 12:21 PM)astr083 Wrote:  

I mean if this game is not going to be played in the Bahamas or a warm weather location, we might as well start bowl games in Columbus, Indy, or Cincy........ These cities are far better destinations for MAC teams than Montgomery AL, Myrtle Beach, SC, Frisco, TX or Charlotte, NC.... These locations are not even warm the time of year the games are played, and they turn out to be quasi home games for the C-USA, SBC, and AAC opponents MAC teams will have to play.... It's annoying.... Get more northern locations for bowls in place of some of these awful games in small cities of the deep South.

Any MAC fans living in the Midwest/Northeast looking to spend $300 or more for a plane ticket to Montgomery, AL; Frisco, TX; Myrtle Beach, SC; or Charlotte, NC in December is nuts.... Or at the very least related to one of the players.
Flying to those locations is relatively cheap and easy to schedule. You want more north and/or cold weather than try finding a flight to Idaho for their bowl and let us know how it went.
10-27-2023 02:54 PM
Advertisement

astr083 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State & MAC
(10-27-2023 02:54 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(10-27-2023 12:21 PM)astr083 Wrote:  

Flying to those locations is relatively cheap and easy to schedule. You want more north and/or cold weather than try finding a flight to Idaho for their bowl and let us know how it went.

You can't be serious if you think it's cheap to fly into Montgomery or Myrtle Beach..... Do they even have airports? Charlotte would be cheap, and so would Dallas, but Frisco is way outside of the city.
10-27-2023 03:36 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-27-2023 03:36 PM)astr083 Wrote:  ... You can't be serious if you think it's cheap to fly into ... Myrtle Beach..... Do they even have airports? Charlotte would be cheap, ...

You fly into Columbia or Charleston, and drive 2-2.5hrs, or fly into Charlotte and drive 3.5hrs.

Myrtle Beach is not a place many people are going to be flying to ... people who go there are most often doing so because of the shorter driving distance to Myrtle Beach versus some other beach town they could go to.

And is that surprising? If a place is interested in hosting a Go5 bowl, you do realize that there's going to be a reason why they are interested in doing that?
10-27-2023 04:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.