Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mercer at Chicago State
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
Mercer at Chicago State
Both are coming off losses. Mercer lost to a D2 school at home Monday night.

I guess we will see who rebounds back from a bad loss best and makes the adjustments that are needed after game 1.

Mercer is picked 6th in the SoCon coaches poll and 7th in the media poll.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2023 01:31 AM by Todor.)
11-07-2023 01:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

RE: Mercer at Chicago State
What time does this broadcast start? I thought maybe 30 minutes before tip for a preview or something.
11-09-2023 07:40 PM
joshadam84 Offline

I Root For: Chicago State
They usually go live at least 5 mins or so before.. I wasn’t able to tune in until right after the tip-off
11-09-2023 08:13 PM
joshadam84 Offline

Not a great first half by Chicago State yet they only trail by 3 at the half. Cut down on their turnovers in the second half and they should be able to overcome the deficit.
11-09-2023 08:57 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Crowd looks to be fairly decent.
11-09-2023 09:06 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

Yeah, not a great first half. But from the start of the half to the finish, it was fair. Getting the jitters out and settling it, like you’d expect to see.

Mercer is a shaky team. They have some things to work out if they are going to win many games. There’s no reason Chicago can’t finish them off in the second half. Just need to get a good run going.
11-09-2023 09:17 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Sloppy.
11-09-2023 09:23 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

That 8-0 run right after the start of the half really hurt.
11-09-2023 09:28 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

In fact, I think this is the biggest crowd I have seen on any of the YouTube videos I have watched.
11-09-2023 09:48 PM
joshadam84 Offline

Had a little hope when they got within 1 a couple times late. Just a lot of undisciplined basketball prevented them from finishing this one out. Very disappointing.
11-09-2023 10:11 PM
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

I think this will go down as a bad loss, because Mercer isn’t a good team.

Chicago State really gave it away.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2023 01:43 AM by Todor.)
11-09-2023 10:13 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

Looking at the stats, it’s a lot like Chicago State teams of last season. 4 players play huge numbers of minutes, and do nearly all of the scoring. 17 turnovers was too many, but after the first 5 minutes, they were pretty reasonable.

What critiques I would imagine the coaches giving the different players—

Wesley Cardet- “Don’t try to carry the team by yourself. Trust your teammates and be a little more patient with the offense. Choose better shots. A lot better shots…”. WC shot 4/15 from the floor, 2/9 from 3. That’s not good.

Jahsean Corbett- “Protect the ball a little better. Be stronger in the paint.” He had 5 of the 17 turnovers. And he’s been a little turnover prone, but he’s such a consistent player. Scoring, rebounding, staying out of foul trouble. No major highs or lows typically.

Jean-Charles- He had a pretty good game actually. Good stat line. Made a bad pass to try to get a easy fast break, but that’s ok. He didn’t keep doing it.

Kedrick Green- “ Stop fouling! We need you on the court. Don’t be afraid to take a shot when you can. Help take some pressure off everyone else.” He had 4 fouls in about 10 minute, and CSU isn’t deep enough to have a player in foul trouble unnecessarily.

Cameron Jernigan- “Don’t be afraid to work for a shot. Get involved in the offense when the opportunity is there.” He is new and getting into the flow of the offense will come. He’s going to be a good player I think.

Things I liked - The don’t give up easily. They got down 10 and cut it back down. Then back up, and they got it back down. It was a 2 point game with 1:30 to go after getting down double digits several times.

24 fast break points is nice. They (for the most part) keep it in control and don’t get too wild. Some of those 24 points were more transition than open court fast breaks, but Chicago is good at getting points that way.

Nobody fouled out, and only 2 players had 4.

Rebounding was pretty decent. Offensive rebounding was good.

Actively working for steals without fouling too much. Those turned into easy points a number of times.

Having the Pom squad/cheerleaders. Helps the atmosphere and makes it look a little fuller. No band, but that’s been pretty spotty historically. I only remember it very sporadically.

The crowd made some noise. It was at least enough to know they were there. Although the attendance listed seemed somewhat lower than I figured.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2023 02:26 AM by Todor.)
11-10-2023 01:54 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

We shot way too many 3s if we are not going to make any more than that. We had 17 turnovers to only 8 assists. However, on the bright side we were plus-4 on the boards, thanks to Cardet and Corbett.
11-10-2023 11:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.