Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA proposing new college athletics subdivision rooted in direct athlete compensatio
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
NCAA proposing new college athletics subdivision rooted in direct athlete compensatio
NCAA proposing new college athletics subdivision rooted in direct athlete compensation

This looks significant, but not the biggest expert on this. Figured this was worth posting.
12-05-2023 10:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
RE: NCAA proposing new college athletics subdivision rooted in direct athlete compensatio
Anyone following this board for a while has known this was coming.
12-05-2023 10:24 AM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
RE: NCAA proposing new college athletics subdivision rooted in direct athlete compensatio
Here we go!
12-05-2023 10:28 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
Opt-in is the key phrase. If schools are willing to opt in, they will be able to stay.
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports

Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
I mean they let the cat out of the bag with the FSU decision so why not go whole hog now? What's it gonna do, make'em look worse?
12-05-2023 10:31 AM
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Indirect effect: G5 schools cutting other sports to be able to afford $30K per student-athlete.
12-05-2023 10:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sicembear11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
(12-05-2023 10:20 AM)GoBuckeyes1047 Wrote:  NCAA proposing new college athletics subdivision rooted in direct athlete compensation

This looks significant, but not the biggest expert on this. Figured this was worth posting.

Here is the breakdown from the article:

The new subdivision would do the following:
  • Schools may opt in or out to the new subdivision.
  • New subdivision has strict minimum standrard rooted in athlete investment.
  • Members may create their own NIL deals with their own athletes.
  • Members may directly compensate athletes through a trust fund.
  • Members are required to distribute to athletes "thousands of dollars in additional educationally related funds without limitation."
  • No cap on the amount of funding that a program can provide an athlete.
  • Entry into the subdivision requires a minimum $30,000 per year per athlete investment into the "enhanced education trust fund" for at least half of the school's countable athletes.
  • Schools determine when the athletes receive the amount, which will total $120,000 for four-year athletes.
  • Schools must abide by Title IX framework, 50% of the investment must be directed towards women athletes.
  • NCAA will be over the subdivision and the members will compete against other members in Division 1. (Current CFP models and national championship selections methods are unaltered).
  • Schools in the new subdivision have control of decision-making regarding schoolarship limits and countable coaches. Major conference programs can increase the limits or do away with them altogether.
12-05-2023 10:35 AM
Just Joe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama
(12-05-2023 10:34 AM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  Indirect effect: G5 schools cutting other sports to be able to afford $30K per student-athlete.

Right?

I agree that it's fair for revenue generating athletes to receive some of that money, but it's also the money propping everything else up. At some point, this is going to nuke men's and women's programs down the line.
12-05-2023 10:39 AM
MKPitt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pitt
Yeah, I think they need to require the schools to maintain a certain minimum number of sports or all this is going to do is cause schools to eliminate several sports.
12-05-2023 10:40 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(12-05-2023 10:34 AM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  Indirect effect: G5 schools cutting other sports to be able to afford $30K per student-athlete.

but there's minimum sports required to be D1. So can't cut that much.
12-05-2023 10:41 AM
Advertisement

DavidSt Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(12-05-2023 10:20 AM)GoBuckeyes1047 Wrote:  NCAA proposing new college athletics subdivision rooted in direct athlete compensation

Let the anti-trust suit and fair trade among the states to take part. If a state does not have a school in the SEC and Big 10 will have lawsuits filed against the NCAA and the Big 2. If I am a lawmaker? I would create a bill for equal trade among the universities in the NCAA, and the Big 2 can't exclude other schools.
12-05-2023 10:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(12-05-2023 10:39 AM)Just Joe Wrote:  

Right?

I agree that it's fair for revenue generating athletes to receive some of that money, but it's also the money propping everything else up. At some point, this is going to nuke men's and women's programs down the line.

There's already minimum sports sponsored and scholarship levels. I would expect to see these higher in the new subdivision as well. There's no way around Title 9 and the higher hurdles to keep the rif raf out will likely guarantee money going to athletes of nonrevenue sports. Will they be making 6-7 figures like the star FB and MBB players? No but they'll get a taste and further skew the competitive advantage across all sports to the P2.
12-05-2023 10:44 AM
DavidSt Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
This is DOA when lawmakers are not happy with this ideal.
12-05-2023 10:49 AM
TallTexan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SFA, UT
So in this new subdivision, let's call us Division 1-$$$, they'll still play the rest of us in baseball/basketball tourneys?

And our smaller schools can still coordinate with athletes on NIL under the new rules?

Seems fair. It's gonna take a bit out of coaches salaries at the biggest schools though. Which is a win for us too.
12-05-2023 10:52 AM
Just Joe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama
(12-05-2023 10:44 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

Right?

There's already minimum sports sponsored and scholarship levels. I would expect to see these higher in the new subdivision as well. There's no way around Title 9 and the higher hurdles to keep the rif raf out will likely guarantee money going to athletes of nonrevenue sports. Will they be making 6-7 figures like the star FB and MBB players? No but they'll get a taste and further skew the competitive advantage across all sports to the P2.

We'll see on minimums. There's only so much money.

Title IX just means the schools will have to cut men's and women's sports alike.
12-05-2023 10:53 AM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(12-05-2023 10:49 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  This is DOA when lawmakers are not happy with this ideal.

Yup. Baker can talk about it all he wants but it's not happening.
12-05-2023 10:58 AM
TallTexan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SFA, UT
(12-05-2023 10:53 AM)Just Joe Wrote:  
(12-05-2023 10:44 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

Right?

We'll see on minimums. There's only so much money.

Title IX just means the schools will have to cut men's and women's sports alike.
Coaching salaries at major athletic departments surpass aid given to student athletes.

The money is right there.
12-05-2023 11:01 AM
Surbadger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
[Image: star-wars-padme-amidala.gif]
12-05-2023 11:02 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

Most G5's wouldn't be able to afford it. Many of us already struggle with NIL due to not having the levels of big money donors other schools do. Athletic Departments barely make profits as is.

A few who have either a major donor financing everything, or have enough of a surplus might be able to try it, but then you've got Bama paying 6K salaries to everyone, and its still not close to being a fair fight.

My major question at present is that many US States have laws on the books preventing schools from paying athletes, those would need to be removed by legislatures before this could even happen.
12-05-2023 11:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.