Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU $500 Million Fund Raise Campaign
Bookmark and Share
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Does anyone know when this officially starts?

Over the summer they said the raise would be announced this fall, and the 500 mil raise keeps getting mentioned in articles like this:

https://northernstar.info/108410/news/gr...til-march/

NIU insiders, drop some 411. Hoping some of this goes to athletic facilities.
12-20-2023 11:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: NIU $500 Million Fund Raise Campaign
I shared a survey i completed with this board that was sent to me from NIU probably 3 years ago now regarding this campaign. Either its very slow to get off the ground or they've done a lot of major fundraising behind the scenes. Hopefully it's the latter.
12-20-2023 01:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

(12-20-2023 01:24 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  I shared a survey i completed with this board that was sent to me from NIU probably 3 years ago now regarding this campaign. Either its very slow to get off the ground or they've done a lot of major fundraising behind the scenes. Hopefully it's the latter.

Thanks Snoop, I'm assuming it's the latter the way they have been dangling it in recent articles. God forbid they come out full throttle and let us all know.
12-21-2023 10:03 AM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
https://northernstar.info/111573/news/ca...omplaints/

Huskie Stadium getting new turf in 2024 per the second part of this article.
12-21-2023 10:22 AM
Klake1987 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
(12-21-2023 10:22 AM)NIU1981 Wrote:  https://northernstar.info/111573/news/ca...omplaints/

To me the downfall was when the Bus Nagle Press box donation was not utilized. $500 k is a nice chunk of change but they let it lapse.
12-21-2023 10:49 AM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
(12-21-2023 10:49 AM)Klake1987 Wrote:  
(12-21-2023 10:22 AM)NIU1981 Wrote:  https://northernstar.info/111573/news/ca...omplaints/

To me the downfall was when the Bus Nagle Press box donation was not utilized. $500 k is a nice chunk of change but they let it lapse.

Yes, that is truly ashame. 500K would have actually done quite a bit for the skybox.

I was in it this year for the first time ever and can say it is in need of quite a bit of upgrades to get it close to a 2000 type feel and then still would be considered dated.
12-21-2023 02:42 PM
Advertisement

HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

Drove by the new Hard Rock in Rockford this weekend.

The Athletic department should really reach out to see about some possible sponsorship deals with Hard Rock. Deep pockets there for some possible naming rights on something???

Just an idea.
01-02-2024 02:01 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(01-02-2024 02:01 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  Drove by the new Hard Rock in Rockford this weekend.

The Athletic department should really reach out to see about some possible sponsorship deals with Hard Rock. Deep pockets there for some possible naming rights on something???

Just an idea.

Out of curiosity. What kind of benefit to Hard Rock (which is owned by the Seminole tribe, if I'm not mistaken) would they get from sponsoring something at NIU?

Because, again, I hate to always throw water on sh!t like this, but this seems entirely one-sided in favor of NIU.

And, if it seems like I'm not basing this on anything. Here's my rationale: 1) The Hard Rock is in Rockford and not in DeKalb. 2) They are headquartered in Florida, not Illinois. 3) They have a global brand and, imo, would see no bump in anything by putting their name on something at NIU. 4) They do not need NIU. 5) They already have their name on a stadium of much greater significance.

Imo, I just don't see any benefit to Hard Rock on a deal like this.
01-02-2024 02:44 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

(01-02-2024 02:44 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(01-02-2024 02:01 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  Drove by the new Hard Rock in Rockford this weekend.

Just an idea.

Out of curiosity. What kind of benefit to Hard Rock (which is owned by the Seminole tribe, if I'm not mistaken) would they get from sponsoring something at NIU?

Because, again, I hate to always throw water on sh!t like this, but this seems entirely one-sided in favor of NIU.

And, if it seems like I'm not basing this on anything. Here's my rationale: 1) The Hard Rock is in Rockford and not in DeKalb. 2) They are headquartered in Florida, not Illinois. 3) They have a global brand and, imo, would see no bump in anything by putting their name on something at NIU. 4) They do not need NIU. 5) They already have their name on a stadium of much greater significance.

They are trying to promote heavily the "rockford area" from everything I've read. Dekalb would be one of the closest larger population cities to them. The tax write-offs for Hard Rock - IL as it is set-up as a separate company from Florida, from what I've read.
Sponsorships would be an easy get, naming rights doubtful, but absolutely something NIU should reach out to about making a connection there.
01-02-2024 07:35 PM
niu16 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: biu
(01-02-2024 07:35 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  
(01-02-2024 02:44 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Just an idea.

They are trying to promote heavily the "rockford area" from everything I've read. Dekalb would be one of the closest larger population cities to them. The tax write-offs for Hard Rock - IL as it is set-up as a separate company from Florida, from what I've read.
Sponsorships would be an easy get, naming rights doubtful, but absolutely something NIU should reach out to about making a connection there.

The Hard Rock would be a perfect tie in with the Niu motto, The Hard Way.
01-02-2024 07:52 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I've seen the roof of the convo several times on daytime flights approaching O'Hare (from L.A.), its a very large-visible structure from that approach altitude. Slap a corporate logo on top of that bad boy.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2024 07:07 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
01-03-2024 07:07 AM
Advertisement

JoeNovak Offline
1st String

(01-03-2024 07:07 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  I've seen the roof of the convo several times on daytime flights approaching O'Hare (from L.A.), its a very large-visible structure from that approach altitude. Slap a corporate logo on top of that bad boy.
No no no stick to the plan. The university is waiting on the sidelines strategically for the last 20 years to get the perfect deal that doesn’t exist. Meanwhile even if they charged only $100,000 yearly for naming rights they would have made $2 million in that time span.
01-03-2024 12:00 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

(01-03-2024 12:00 PM)JoeNovak Wrote:  
(01-03-2024 07:07 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  I've seen the roof of the convo several times on daytime flights approaching O'Hare (from L.A.), its a very large-visible structure from that approach altitude. Slap a corporate logo on top of that bad boy.
No no no stick to the plan. The university is waiting on the sidelines strategically for the last 20 years to get the perfect deal that doesn’t exist. Meanwhile even if they charged only $100,000 yearly for naming rights they would have made $2 million in that time span.

Yes, they don't live by the motto a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. They go for the bush.
01-03-2024 12:03 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

Any new news from anyone on here about this campaign?

See the link below, the doc states that NIU technically started the $500 million raise in 2022? 2 questions after reading:

https://www.cityofdekalb.com/DocumentCen...U-Proposal

1) How can the $500 mil raise be 1+ years old and none of us know about it?

2) When I was at NIU (and in a frat), the administration always correctly discussed the need to move the greeks closer to campus, to connect them better to campus. Having said that, why build a greek HQ (which many campuses have now) so far away at the site of the old jungle? Why not place it closer to the Plaza-area, so that it helps connect the greek neighborhood to campus?
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2024 08:58 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
04-12-2024 08:56 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(04-12-2024 08:56 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  Any new news from anyone on here about this campaign?

See the link below, the doc states that NIU technically started the $500 million raise in 2022? 2 questions after reading:

2) When I was at NIU (and in a frat), the administration always correctly discussed the need to move the greeks closer to campus, to connect them better to campus. Having said that, why build a greek HQ (which many campuses have now) so far away at the site of the old jungle? Why not place it closer to the Plaza-area, so that it helps connect the greek neighborhood to campus?

Here are possible explanations (albeit made up by me):

1. The fundraising campaign, like most other things at NIU is a secret. You need to be one of the select few anointed mega donors to know about it. As it gets to the more normal people after the mega donors have emptied their bank accounts but the goal has not been reached by a long shot, the university will accept your checks just to demonstrate its inclusivity.

2. Sorry to say that the Greeks do not fit the university’s DEI goals (read: “requirements”). Areas closer to the campus need to be held for fringe groups that meet the university’s woke philosophies and cancel culture predilections.
04-12-2024 11:23 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(04-12-2024 11:23 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(04-12-2024 08:56 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  Any new news from anyone on here about this campaign?

Here are possible explanations (albeit made up by me):

1. The fundraising campaign, like most other things at NIU is a secret. You need to be one of the select few anointed mega donors to know about it. As it gets to the more normal people after the mega donors have emptied their bank accounts but the goal has not been reached by a long shot, the university will accept your checks just to demonstrate its inclusivity.

2. Sorry to say that the Greeks do not fit the university’s DEI goals (read: “requirements”). Areas closer to the campus need to be held for fringe groups that meet the university’s woke philosophies and cancel culture predilections.

Per your #1 ...

Posted this on a thread long, long ago and far, far away, but NIU officialdom (or is that officialdumb?) need to have a big wad (of cash) to stick out there before they officially announce the fundraising campaign (or is that camp pain?). "They" are scared spitless that public announcement up-front and a huge thud in response will embarrass and expose their lack of ______ (fill in the blank). The biggest "thud" would be a lack of interest on a large scale, fueled by the ongoing disinterest in all people who are not exclusive big donors (see STF, modus operandi, athletics, or see "coming around to bite you in the a$$" and/or "you reap what you sow").

Per your #2, see any definition of hypocrite and/or hypocrisy.
04-12-2024 12:27 PM
Advertisement

pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
A few additional notes ...
... Prez. Freeman's (et al) push to become a Hispanic/Latino draw to earn federal grant money actually flips the coin on fundraising, since students and families seeking financial aid are in no position to raise funding.
... "Bidenomics" has tightened a lot of belts, including those of even Middle Class alumni etc. who are more concerned with the price of eggs and bread than whether the school they are no longer connected with covers its $x-million deficit.
--- per the "a$$ bite" comment in my earlier post, NIU's traditional view of students as college and department headcount instead of future alumni is sitting there waiting to chomp on some bureaucratic behinds.

I could add a few more, but ...
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2024 12:38 PM by pvk75.)
04-12-2024 12:36 PM
Klake1987 Offline
2nd String

(04-12-2024 12:36 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  A few additional notes ...
... Prez. Freeman's (et al) push to become a Hispanic/Latino draw to earn federal grant money actually flips the coin on fundraising, since students and families seeking financial aid are in no position to raise funding.
... "Bidenomics" has tightened a lot of belts, including those of even Middle Class alumni etc. who are more concerned with the price of eggs and bread than whether the school they are no longer connected with covers its $x-million deficit.
--- per the "a$$ bite" comment in my earlier post, NIU's traditional view of students as college and department headcount instead of future alumni is sitting there waiting to chomp on some bureaucratic behinds.

I currently donate a small amount every year. With inflation and getting closer to the
Retirement, trying so save money. My disposable income has shrunk drastically
04-12-2024 02:42 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(04-12-2024 02:42 PM)Klake1987 Wrote:  
(04-12-2024 12:36 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  A few additional notes ...

I currently donate a small amount every year. With inflation and getting closer to the
Retirement, trying so save money. My disposable income has shrunk drastically

I am retired (if not retarded), and my monthly income has dropped considerably. I still donate but not as much as I used to. Too bad the Alumni Association does not have donation programs specifically for retired seniors on a fixed income. Set up smaller challenges that retirees can comfortably participate in and feel their worth as an important part of NIU. I know that there are bequest programs, but some people may prefer to donate while they’re still above ground. They could create something like senior donor groups or clubs complete with membership cards, badges, etc. Membership costs could be small - one time or monthly.
04-12-2024 02:57 PM
prairiedawg Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES
This president was all in on this woke pile of crap, she is either clueless or spineless. She is the Sally Struthers of University presidents.
04-12-2024 10:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.