Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FSU about to pull the pin
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2023 10:09 AM by Shannon Panther.)
12-21-2023 09:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: FSU about to pull the pin
(12-21-2023 09:56 AM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk
If true, the timing is odd with CFP expansion and autobids beginning next year. As ACC champ, FSU would not only be in the playoffs, but would have a first round bye...

Not to mention what it will cost to exit this early.

But I guess it's all about making their fans happy.
12-21-2023 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
It’s a terrible article. She speculates that this is the first step to legal action. Okay, sure, but that’s clickbait. The agenda hasn’t been published.

If they do decide legal action, they’re a lame duck member. It’s probably going to be a task force of study or some nonsense or they’re ready to pay up. Then the question becomes “how does the ACC decide to divvy up the money?” The silver lining is membership will actually make more money with FSU’s departure.
12-21-2023 10:34 AM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
Wake me when something actually happens in the real world instead of in someone's fevered imagination.
12-21-2023 10:55 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I still think the strategy is just to be such a pain in the *** that the rest of the ACC will want to kick them out. If they were to be expelled they presumably wouldn't have to pay the exit fees they would be liable for if they quit.
12-21-2023 11:21 AM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
So another public meeting thanks to Sunshine laws where everyone ******* and at the last minute a lawyer lists the long, expensive process and/or someone discusses selling out to private equity.

Awesome.
12-21-2023 11:35 AM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Seems like suicide to me. There may be a few schools rooting for FSU to find a way out of the GoR. However, a lot of schools and conferences have used the GoR to solicit significant amounts of money from broadcasters. If FSU leaves the ACC media contract and ACCN contracts would be affected. 13 years, plus escalation, could be hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.

Broadcasters will also fight it. The GoR is their only real hold on the schools.

Conferences will look twice at FSU, or any other school, because there is no guarantee they will be there in a couple of years.
12-21-2023 12:05 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I get the frustration - I really do - but I have to agree with Wolfman here: this seems like financial suicide.

The big winners here might be the Big Ten and, ironically, the ACC.
Stay tuned - and keep the popcorn popping!!!
[Image: 200w.gif?cid=6c09b9525ikamrsykgo6m1ejcw2...p;amp;ct=g]
12-21-2023 12:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(12-21-2023 11:21 AM)ken d Wrote:  I still think the strategy is just to be such a pain in the *** that the rest of the ACC will want to kick them out. If they were to be expelled they presumably wouldn't have to pay the exit fees they would be liable for if they quit.

Why would the ACC want to kick them out when they would be getting a $500 Million payday?
12-21-2023 12:32 PM
b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
There's several ACC schools lined up behind FSU. They're the only ones who don't care if it's public info.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
12-21-2023 12:59 PM
Garrettabc Online
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
If this happens, would I need to find another board to post on?
12-21-2023 01:00 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2023 12:59 PM)b2b Wrote:  There's several ACC schools lined up behind FSU. They're the only ones who don't care if it's public info.

Are they?
12-21-2023 01:00 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
(12-21-2023 12:59 PM)b2b Wrote:  There's several ACC schools lined up behind FSU. They're the only ones who don't care if it's public info.

And it's $500+ Million for each of those schools behind FSU.

The ACC leftovers will have quite the pot of money to split up. This is why I don't see ACC schools running to join the Big XII. They'd not only be leaving behind lots of exit/GoR fees behind, they'd be SUBJECT to paying those same fees on their way out.

07-coffee3
12-21-2023 01:08 PM
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ASU
This is likely just a political theater display.

Go to a US demographic map - the Census will do just fine.

You will see in the South that a strand of African Americans run through the Deep South States. On each side of this strand is an Ulster Scots - Irish demographic that has been out of the UK so long they no longer realize where they are from. The Florida Pan Handle, NW Georgia, Western NC, Tennessee, North Bama and Mississippi, Arkansas, KY, Southern Mizzou, and East Texas. The appear or "look" "white". But in reality they are diasporad Ulster Scots with a deep hatred of all federal government that was properly derived from the English Bloody Apron.

Think of the people who go to Congress from the specific areas mentioned and how they have to "perform" otherwise they are not accepted. Parisians and some Italians have the strand of a need to "perform" in public.

But that's what this is, a performance to signal to the base that the Board hears them and shares their outrage. Performing ends when the groups who perform actually gain control of what they are protesting. It's all a cultural thing and it goes back decades. An example you might not think of is the Warner Brothers Cartoon Character Foghorn Leghorn, modeled on a long winded, over the top Southern US Senator from the 1930's. His audience, his voters, came to listen to him orate. It comes out the various pulpits as well. It's not new but low emotion cultures pretend not to understand and often eggheads in the media fail to point out the entertainment imbedded in the performances.

Loud, often stupid, and illogical public displays are part of the performance. Think pro wrestling.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2023 01:38 PM by SouthernConfBoy.)
12-21-2023 01:34 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
Call me when there is an actual court challenge....
12-21-2023 01:38 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(12-21-2023 12:32 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(12-21-2023 11:21 AM)ken d Wrote:  I still think the strategy is just to be such a pain in the *** that the rest of the ACC will want to kick them out. If they were to be expelled they presumably wouldn't have to pay the exit fees they would be liable for if they quit.

Why would the ACC want to kick them out when they would be getting a $500 Million payday?

I didn't say it would be a successful strategy. Maybe they think the rest of the ACC is as stupid as they are.
12-21-2023 02:04 PM
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(12-21-2023 02:04 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(12-21-2023 12:32 PM)XLance Wrote:  

I didn't say it would be a successful strategy. Maybe they think the rest of the ACC is as stupid as they are.

[Image: fin.gif]
12-21-2023 02:37 PM
random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
Let’s say FSU did the first step: Legally challenge the GoR while staying in the ACC for now.

How would Phillips and the ACC leadership react? Will they take away FSU’s voting right, for example?

FSU has been openly discussing the possibility of leaving the league. Phillips must have prepared a contingency plan.
12-21-2023 04:55 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-21-2023 04:55 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  Let’s say FSU did the first step: Legally challenge the GoR while staying in the ACC for now.

How would Phillips and the ACC leadership react? Will they take away FSU’s voting right, for example?

FSU has been openly discussing the possibility of leaving the league. Phillips must have prepared a contingency plan.

As soon as it can be legally justified to remove voting rights, they should be removed.

There is zero incentive to make a single thing easier on FSU. There is every incentive to make it as painful and expensive as possible.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2023 07:26 PM by CrazyPaco.)
12-21-2023 07:23 PM
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ASU
(12-21-2023 07:23 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  
(12-21-2023 04:55 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  Let’s say FSU did the first step: Legally challenge the GoR while staying in the ACC for now.

As soon as it can be legally justified to remove voting rights, they should be removed.

There is zero incentive to make a single thing easier on FSU. There is every incentive to make it as painful and expensive as possible.

The most pain the ACC can inflict is at scheduling time.

Here is pain:

August 24 - GT in Ireland
August 31 - Open
September 7 - Open
Sept 14 Memphis
Sept 19/20/21 Cal (Thursday or Friday Night)
Sept 28 at Duke
Oct 5 at SMU (SMU with prior open week)
October 12 BC
October 19 Open
October 25/26 UNC (Friday Night)
November 2 at Miami (UM with prior open week)
November 9 at ND
November 16 Clemson (Clemson with prior open week)
November 23 Charleston
November 30 Florida

The above is pain if the league choses to dish it out for as long as FSU continues to cause problems.

That's before the first holding call. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2023 08:03 PM by SouthernConfBoy.)
12-21-2023 08:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.