Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The 71st Beanpot
Bookmark and Share
geewizNU Offline
All American

I Root For: Northeastern
The 71st Beanpot
Defending 2023 Beanpot champions NU will take on Harvard in the first semifinal of the annual Beanpot at 5 pm Monday at TD Garden.

NU beat Harvard 3-2 in a shootout last February.

BU and BC will meet in the other semifinal at 8 pm. Both games will be on NESN.

NU comes into the tournament winners of 4 straight and 5 of their last 6 games. NU is favored as Harvard is 4-13-3 on the season, but you never know in this tourney.
02-04-2024 10:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

geewizNU Offline
All American

RE: The 71st Beanpot
NU advances to their 6th straight Beanpot final, after beating Harvard 3-2 in OT.

NU awaits the winner of BC-BU.

The Huskies got the game-winner early in OT on Gunnerwolfe Fontaine's goal to send them to next Monday's title game. It was Fontaine's fourth Beanpot goal.

Goalie Cam Whitehead recorded 21 saves.

NU doesn't play again until Monday's final.

Highlights...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cef_PX98IYI

Postgame...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KuuOm_jxzw
02-05-2024 09:49 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

I Root For: nu
[quote='geewizNU' pid='19452346' dateline='1707187771']
NU advances to their 6th straight Beanpot final, after beating Harvard 3-2 in OT.

This is an amazing stat and shows how far we've come since the days when we always seemed to play in the undercard on championship night.
02-05-2024 10:53 PM
Advertisement

geewizNU Offline
All American

(02-05-2024 10:53 PM)NUGUY Wrote:  [quote='geewizNU' pid='19452346' dateline='1707187771']

This is an amazing stat and shows how far we've come since the days when we always seemed to play in the undercard on championship night.

I agree and if we were to win Monday night we would REALLY have a stranglehold of this tournament - for once.

Unfortunately, it seems the only thing the students and this administration cares about from a sports point of view is this tournament and the annual baseball game down in Florida against the Red Sox. So they can showcase the game for alums to get donations, but not for athletics.
02-06-2024 01:19 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

An incredible win against a very good BU team. We gave them two goals (a turnover two feet in front of our goalie and an own goal by McDonald) and we come back to win five of the last six Beanpots,

The announcers can talk about how BU has won so many Beanpots but it reminds me about how Montreal or the Yankees cling to the past.
02-12-2024 11:47 PM
Advertisement

geewizNU Offline
All American

(02-12-2024 11:47 PM)NUGUY Wrote:  The announcers can talk about how BU has won so many Beanpots but it reminds me about how Montreal or the Yankees cling to the past.

I agree.

The best part about beating BU in the Beanpots title games is having ole Rat Dog head coach Jack Parker watch it in sorrow.

The one thing you can say about the men's hockey team is that they've developed a winning culture when it comes to this tourney. I never thought in my lifetime I'd see NU win 5 out of 6 Beanpots!

And what can you say about Gunnarwolfe Fontaine? The kid has big cojones in the big spots. He's an all-time Husky - and not just by name!

More importantly, we came into this game 20th in Pairwise. A win over another Top-10 team should give NU a nice bump up. They're getting hot at the right time.

Highlights...

https://youtu.be/-yT83Ns1cAo?si=C3hDXWJvwEfHi8eL

Postgame...

https://youtu.be/5QICs0rn6pk?si=fD_S4fqqkKOr0YBI
02-13-2024 01:41 AM
Huskydog Offline
Water Engineer

Fantastic win. bu clearly has incredible individual talent on that roster, felt like they played the whole 3rd period in our zone. Outshooting us 36-17. Like NUguy said, we handed them 2 goal on terrible to's deep in our zone. We just grind and take the opportunities that are given to us. Well coached. I remember watching in the late 80's -2000's thinking jeeze we look rag tag and if we won it was lucky or the other teams were down that year, the last 10-15 years since Jim and Jerry took over I now expect to win and am just not shocked when we do. Jack Parker sitting stone faced in the stands of the Garden should bring joy to Huskyland. All we need to do is stack up some NCAA wins, rebuild Matthews, the culture has shifted. AMEN
02-13-2024 07:56 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Congrats on the big win!
02-13-2024 10:06 AM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

(02-13-2024 07:56 AM)Huskydog Wrote:  Fantastic win. bu clearly has incredible individual talent on that roster, felt like they played the whole 3rd period in our zone. Outshooting us 36-17. Like NUguy said, we handed them 2 goal on terrible to's deep in our zone. We just grind and take the opportunities that are given to us. Well coached. I remember watching in the late 80's -2000's thinking jeeze we look rag tag and if we won it was lucky or the other teams were down that year, the last 10-15 years since Jim and Jerry took over I now expect to win and am just not shocked when we do. Jack Parker sitting stone faced in the stands of the Garden should bring joy to Huskyland. All we need to do is stack up some NCAA wins, rebuild Matthews, the culture has shifted. AMEN

We won our first three Beanpots in the 80''s ùnder Fernie but they were somewhat tainted because they were in Olympic years when the other Beanpot teams were without their stars, Rag tag perfectly describes us prior to the 80's when we didn't own Matthew's and had to scrounge all around the city for ice time, It was painful to watch them totally gassed by the third period.

I remember reading a study about whether college hockey teams have better results with "one and doners" or with guys who may not be flashy first round draft picks but play more years with their team. The conclusion was that because of the time playing together the TEAM was better and had better results without the one and dones. Experience and maturity is more important. Celebrini is an impressive talent but he will probably be gone next year but our guys will mostly be back and as a team will be better.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2024 11:27 AM by NUGUY.)
02-13-2024 11:18 AM
Advertisement

geewizNU Offline
All American

(02-13-2024 10:06 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Congrats on the big win!

03-thumbsup
02-13-2024 12:33 PM
nu81 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NU
Congrats on the big win. Winning Beanpots was just a pipe dream when I was at NU.
02-14-2024 12:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.