Open TigerLinks

Thread Closed 
Why play JQ ever again?
Bookmark and Share
tcountytigerfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Why play JQ ever again?
Legit question - is there any reason to play JQ again this year? He has no heart and actually has embarrassed himself and the program with the lack of effort (announcers calling him out in multiple games now).

This team is terribly constructed so you really don’t have enough ball handlers, so that’s the obvious answer (keep him because you literally have no other viable options at PG). But this season is over, so why keep him on the team?
02-18-2024 06:58 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
RE: Why play JQ ever again?
It makes no sense. Why would he not care. He’s been the only point guard and along with Jones plays the most minutes. Did he get into it with a teammate? He should be the last player not to care
02-18-2024 07:01 PM
EvilLore Offline
Caligula of the Toy Department

I Root For: Tiger blood
(02-18-2024 07:01 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  It makes no sense. Why would he not care. He’s been the only point guard and along with Jones plays the most minutes. Did he get into it with a teammate? He should be the last player not to care

It makes perfect sense to me. He left a top 25 team that is once again headed for the NCAA tournament, for a squad that might not even get an NIT invite. I’m sure some of his former teammates have let him know about it too.

It’s like he’s just going through the motions now, getting his paycheck. Would love to see him turn it around in the conference tournament, but he can’t do it by himself,
02-18-2024 07:34 PM
true_blue_thru_and_thru Offline
All American

I Root For: The Tigers
Tbh Cooper wasn’t any worse than JQ or Young…
02-18-2024 07:38 PM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
The biggest disappointment to me is Walton. Can't hit the side of a barn from outside the 3 point line. Has no handles. Plays no defense. We should charge him a fee to breath air.
02-18-2024 07:40 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(02-18-2024 07:34 PM)EvilLore Wrote:  
(02-18-2024 07:01 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  It makes no sense. Why would he not care. He’s been the only point guard and along with Jones plays the most minutes. Did he get into it with a teammate? He should be the last player not to care

It makes perfect sense to me. He left a top 25 team that is once again headed for the NCAA tournament, for a squad that might not even get an NIT invite. I’m sure some of his former teammates have let him know about it too.

It’s like he’s just going through the motions now, getting his paycheck. Would love to see him turn it around in the conference tournament, but he can’t do it by himself,
Are you sure that he left Bama against the wishes of the coach?
02-18-2024 07:52 PM
Advertisement

MtownTigers916 Offline
Tiger PhD

We were put into this position when Penny insisted on bringing in Young. Penny actually said he was ready to start Young and roll with him before we signed JQ. Penny ignored the warning signs with JQ— and also ignored just about everyone (and statistics) that said Young would not magically turn into a high-level PG.
02-18-2024 07:56 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

If young is a starting PG, I am a fighter pilot.
02-18-2024 08:00 PM
Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

Cooper showed today he can play point

At least he calls out the plays
And plays with energy

Beginning to think Q takes a
Gummy before each game
02-18-2024 08:38 PM
JSwisha Offline
2nd String

JQ won us two games that we could've easily lost. He definitely cared after the Nova blowout and during the 10 game stretch that followed. He's not the problem. If he was going through the motions today then fine chew him out and bench him, but he's been pretty solid all season long.

The real problem is that there is no rhyme or reason to our offense. It's just 1v1 NBA style 90% of the time. I don't get it. I saw at one point today the other 4 guys standing out on the wing. WTF is JQ supposed to do in situations like that? No wonder he checked out today.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2024 10:44 PM by JSwisha.)
02-18-2024 10:43 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(02-18-2024 07:38 PM)true_blue_thru_and_thru Wrote:  Tbh Cooper wasn’t any worse than JQ or Young…

Right.
02-19-2024 07:12 AM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(02-18-2024 08:38 PM)Unionman76 Wrote:  Cooper showed today he can play point

At least he calls out the plays
And plays with energy

Beginning to think Q takes a
Gummy before each game

I'm beginning to think it's given to him by Penny. He looks high on the sidelines.
02-19-2024 07:13 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(02-18-2024 10:43 PM)JSwisha Wrote:  JQ won us two games that we could've easily lost. He definitely cared after the Nova blowout and during the 10 game stretch that followed. He's not the problem. If he was going through the motions today then fine chew him out and bench him, but he's been pretty solid all season long.

The real problem is that there is no rhyme or reason to our offense. It's just 1v1 NBA style 90% of the time. I don't get it. I saw at one point today the other 4 guys standing out on the wing. WTF is JQ supposed to do in situations like that? No wonder he checked out today.

I don't think he's suited to a physical style of play. He whined about being fouled on every possession, and he just about was. I think he let that take him out of his game.The only reason I didn't biatch about them yesterday was because it was going on at both ends of the court. Someone is going to get hurt sooner or later when these refs just stand there swallowing their whistles and allow such rough play. But then they start calling ticky tack fouls to make it look like they are actually doing something and some here start in with "the refs are fine" crap.
02-19-2024 07:18 AM
Steve davis Offline
1st String

This is a little harsh on any player. I don’t think he has quit, but he may pick it up some more now.
02-19-2024 09:28 AM
RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

The refs are fine
02-19-2024 09:54 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
The problem is as much Penny’s crazy sub patterns as it is the players not caring. In fact it may have caused a lot of it. Once again he subbed out 1:15 when the score was 2-0
02-19-2024 10:11 AM
Advertisement

Poolshrk111 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
(02-19-2024 10:11 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  The problem is as much Penny’s crazy sub patterns as it is the players not caring. In fact it may have caused a lot of it. Once again he subbed out 1:15 when the score was 2-0

Yep
02-19-2024 11:51 AM
passat25 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Memphis fans are bipolar.. A few weeks back, Jones was the problem.. JQ is now the problem.. Coaching is the problem.. Penny is the PROBLEM.

Some of the players like Jourdain, Young and Walton are overrated AF if you are gonna put the blame on some of them.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2024 12:36 PM by passat25.)
02-19-2024 12:33 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
Every team has had chemistry issues. While I have not seen any Penny teams quit in the past, every season there were disgruntled players. You can say it is just the way of sports now, with so many entitled, paid kids... but let's be fair, Penny does things that would piss off any player on any team. When you get benched when you are actually playing pretty good for one of his children to run in and get minutes, it would piss you off... When you make a mistake and get benched for the next half of basketball while his favorite is playing long stretches making numerous mistakes, it would piss you off... ALo would make the dumbest, stupidest play possible and at MOST Penny would yell out "A LO!".... Boogie would make a mistake and you wouldnt see him at all in the entire 2nd half. Penny has caused as many issues as he has solved.
02-19-2024 01:35 PM
micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT
(02-19-2024 01:35 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  Every team has had chemistry issues. While I have not seen any Penny teams quit in the past, every season there were disgruntled players. You can say it is just the way of sports now, with so many entitled, paid kids... but let's be fair, Penny does things that would piss off any player on any team. When you get benched when you are actually playing pretty good for one of his children to run in and get minutes, it would piss you off... When you make a mistake and get benched for the next half of basketball while his favorite is playing long stretches making numerous mistakes, it would piss you off... ALo would make the dumbest, stupidest play possible and at MOST Penny would yell out "A LO!".... Boogie would make a mistake and you wouldnt see him at all in the entire 2nd half. Penny has caused as many issues as he has solved.

Alo played hard, played very hard on defense, and never quit; in spite of not being overly talented and having offensive issues.

This team's issues are almost exactly opposite.
02-19-2024 02:08 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.