Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

HCBC - Xs and Os - What do we know?
Bookmark and Share
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
Serious question...seems like he adjusts to strenghs, values the lines, and uses blocking backs - anything else?

What's his history on using timeouts and clock management? (It would be nice to stop worrying about this and yelling at the TV...)

Go for 2? 4th down? Take the FG/points? Value the TE?
(This post was last modified: 02-29-2024 11:14 PM by bcp_jmu.)
02-29-2024 11:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMad03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
RE: HCBC - Xs and Os - What do we know?
Big difference seems to be Special Teams. It's not an afterthought. It is a major priority and everything is based around ST. He's going to play anyone on STs.
His philosophy seems to be very aggressive.
I don't know if that means we'll see a lot of trick plays or not. But there's no doubt that this team will execute well on special teams.
Based on his comments, he isn't going to be afraid of going for it on 4th and short. And when it's short, he said we need to be able to run it in even when everyone knows we're running it.
I expect his clock management to be a huge improvement. He prepares his teams to be ready for everything and attention to detail seems to be important to him.
Really excited about BC and this coaching staff.
03-01-2024 08:31 AM
Xeonon Away
1st String

I Root For: jmu
One thing I do know from what I've see thus far, he carries himself 10000x better than Cignetti did. Cignetti always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder and irritated most the time. HCBC really seems like a down to earth coach who wants nothing but the best for these student athletes. I really look forward to seeing him on our sidelines and hearing his press conferences.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024 09:08 AM by Xeonon.)
03-01-2024 09:02 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(03-01-2024 09:02 AM)Xeonon Wrote:  One thing I do know from what I've see thus far, he carries himself 10000x better than Cignetti did. Cignetti always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder and irritated at time. HCBC really seems like a down to earth coach who wants nothing but the best for these student athletes. I really look forward to see him on our sidelines and hearing his press conferences.

Cignetti approached his job like a CEO. Players had a close relationship with the assistants, but not so much with him. Looking back, assistant coaches were incredibly important.
BC is more hands on, especially when it comes to the players.
Both ways work and can be successful. In my opinion, I prefer BC's style better. Between the two, I would rather have my son play for a guy like BC.
03-01-2024 09:16 AM
Xeonon Away
1st String

I Root For: jmu
(03-01-2024 09:16 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(03-01-2024 09:02 AM)Xeonon Wrote:  One thing I do know from what I've see thus far, he carries himself 10000x better than Cignetti did. Cignetti always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder and irritated at time. HCBC really seems like a down to earth coach who wants nothing but the best for these student athletes. I really look forward to see him on our sidelines and hearing his press conferences.

Cignetti approached his job like a CEO. Players had a close relationship with the assistants, but not so much with him. Looking back, assistant coaches were incredibly important.
BC is more hands on, especially when it comes to the players.
Both ways work and can be successful. In my opinion, I prefer BC's style better. Between the two, I would rather have my son play for a guy like BC.

You're definitely right that both ways can work. I totally agree with that. Like you said, I'd rather my son play for a guy like BC as well just with the way hey carries himself.
03-01-2024 09:32 AM
Advertisement

Halz87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
Looked at this when he was hired. Aggressive seems to fit. If I remember correctly, his offenses were mostly high scoring until he was gifted with an extremely talented running quarterback. He adjusted with the hand he was dealt and changed to more of a ground game. Work to maximize what fits your talent … but I believe his preference is more attacking if he has the players to execute.

On defense, I may be mistaken but wasn’t it the new coordinator that was known for aggressive defensive backs that would look to create turnovers? (Might have been a position coach). Either way, my takeaway was he would like to be aggressive on both sides of the ball while still having the guys up front to control the trenches. (What coach wouldn’t like having his cake and eating it too)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
03-01-2024 09:45 AM
olddawg Online
Hall of Famer

Obviously he was successful in recruiting and coaching the O-line so that bodes well. We picked up McMurtrie from the Cross, but arguably he was 3rd or 4th best lineman on their team. Of the other 3, two were 1st team All Patriot and one was 2nd team ( McMurtrie was also 2nd team). Those three from last year are now playing at Michigan State, Duke and the 3rd was invited to the NFL Combine. That was a seriously formidable O-line at the FCS level.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024 11:55 AM by olddawg.)
03-01-2024 10:08 AM
fishingduke12 Offline
All American

Holy Cross gave SDSU arguably their toughest game of the 2022 post season and were tied in the 3rd quarter. Ended up wearing down in the 4th but that is one of the most impressive things i think he's done at HC. That SDSU team was no joke. Really looking forward to seeing what he can do this year
03-01-2024 10:33 AM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

Oh yes...special teams - he's talked that up a lot... didn't they have the most blocked punts for a few years?

HCBC played DB too, right? We should see some great fundamentals there too, plus the height that has been recruited at DB - that's exciting
03-01-2024 10:37 AM
Advertisement

POTUS#4 Offline
1st String

I don't know what to expect but job 1, in my opinion, is to reestablish the run game. It's kind of remarkable that we were so successful last season even though it seemed we struggled mightily to convert 3rd and short.

Regarding special teams, it's hard to argue with Cig's results but, unlike Houston, it seems like he didn't view special teams as a potential weapon but just wanted to avoid mistakes. A more aggressive approach would be great.

Next season will be very interesting and I'm excited to see how things unfold. Hopefully folks won't panic if there are a few bumps in the road this season. HCBC has a much smaller margin for error than any of our previous 3 coaches had for their first seasons. Unlike Cig's first season, there are plenty of losable games on the schedule in 2024. Hoping for another great season!
03-01-2024 10:58 AM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

Did we return any punt or kickoff for a TD last year?

I can't recall even a 50+ yard return
03-01-2024 11:09 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(03-01-2024 10:08 AM)olddawg Wrote:  Obviously he was successful in recruiting and coaching the O-line so that bodes well. We picked up McMurtrie from the Cross, but arguably he was 3rd or 4th best lineman on their team. Of the other 3, two were 1st team All Patriot and one was 2nd team ( McMurtrie was also 2nd team). Those three from last year are now playing at Michigan State, Duke and Rutgers. That was a seriously formidable O-line at the FCS level.
Don't forget, their RG is at the NFL Combine right now.

https://goholycross.com/news/2024/1/26/f...mbine.aspx
03-01-2024 11:16 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(03-01-2024 11:09 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  Did we return any punt or kickoff for a TD last year?

Better question, did we return any punts last year or just watch them roll and roll and roll...03-shhhh
03-01-2024 11:17 AM
Advertisement

bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

(03-01-2024 11:17 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(03-01-2024 11:09 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  Did we return any punt or kickoff for a TD last year?

Better question, did we return any punts last year or just watch them roll and roll and roll...03-shhhh

...and roll out at the 4 yard line...
03-01-2024 11:41 AM
olddawg Online
Hall of Famer

(03-01-2024 11:16 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(03-01-2024 10:08 AM)olddawg Wrote:  Obviously he was successful in recruiting and coaching the O-line so that bodes well. We picked up McMurtrie from the Cross, but arguably he was 3rd or 4th best lineman on their team. Of the other 3, two were 1st team All Patriot and one was 2nd team ( McMurtrie was also 2nd team). Those three from last year are now playing at Michigan State, Duke and Rutgers. That was a seriously formidable O-line at the FCS level.
Don't forget, their RG is at the NFL Combine right now.

https://goholycross.com/news/2024/1/26/f...mbine.aspx

Yeah- my bad on that. I had thought he transferred to Rutgers. That is an entirely different CJ Hanson who also played guard. Being in the NFL Combine makes that HC line even more impressive.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024 11:53 AM by olddawg.)
03-01-2024 11:52 AM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

Look at this AI garbage answer....

"Bob Chesney specifically as a coach in a particular field. It's possible that new individuals may have emerged or gained prominence in various industries after that time.

If Bob Chesney has gained recognition or become notable as a coach in a specific domain or field since then, I might not have information about it. It's always a good idea to check recent reviews, testimonials, or credible sources within the specific industry or community where this individual is known to operate to gather opinions and assessments about their coaching style, expertise, and effectiveness."
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024 01:02 PM by bcp_jmu.)
03-01-2024 01:02 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

Chesney is a little more aggressive than Cig when rolling the dice on 4th down offense.
He has about 30% to 40% more 4th down attempts in the last 5 years compared to Cig.
That is a double edged sword though
I’m positive our fanbase will love him when he goes for it on 4th down and gets it.
I’m positive our fanbase will hate him when he goes for it on 4th down and doesn’t get it.

In his best year he converted 62% of his 4th downs which is awesome. That left the haters only 38% opportunity. 01-lauramac2
03-01-2024 04:08 PM
Advertisement

bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

^ hopefully not from shotgun much...
03-01-2024 04:34 PM
94computerguy Offline
1st String

(03-01-2024 04:08 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Chesney is a little more aggressive than Cig when rolling the dice on 4th down offense.
He has about 30% to 40% more 4th down attempts in the last 5 years compared to Cig.
That is a double edged sword though
I’m positive our fanbase will love him when he goes for it on 4th down and gets it.
I’m positive our fanbase will hate him when he goes for it on 4th down and doesn’t get it.

In his best year he converted 62% of his 4th downs which is awesome. That left the haters only 38% opportunity. 01-lauramac2

Better still, let's have fewer 4th downs.
03-02-2024 11:35 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-01-2024 04:34 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  ^ hopefully not from shotgun much...

You clarified that quickly (I agree), we need to give him an exemption from going under center on 4th and 18 as we did against App State near the end. However those 3rd and 4th down with a yard to go, need to be under center.

I was actually pleased with the number of times Cig gambled. The displeasure came due to our success rate being horrendous.
03-02-2024 08:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.