Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC TOURNAMENT FAVORITES ...
Bookmark and Share
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
You annually start with the three 'home' teams, Akron, Kent, Ohio.

Right now, Ohio is far and away playing the best of the three, and with their traditional Cleveland Alumni base on hand must be considered the favorite.

Akron has been imploding down the stretch and Kent is a walking M.A.S.H unit that was shy quality PG talent even when healthy.

Next is the true favorite: Toledo. I mean, yes, Cleveland is traditionally kryptonite to the Rockets. But damn, if UT can't win it all this time around, they might as well stay home after this.

After Ohio and Toledo, if any other team wins the tournament, they won't have to go far for their NCAA Tournament game as I would be shocked if it wasn't for a Play In Game (PIG) in Dayton.

And that would be an appropriate end to perhaps the worst MAC basketball season on record in the modern (post 1978) age.
03-09-2024 05:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
RE: MAC TOURNAMENT FAVORITES ...
Toledos women will likely play Saturday to give the fans added motivation to get to the Arena. I'd say UT will have a close to half and half crowd vs. Akron or Ohio. Kent is the real big draw there, and will have a decent crowd compared to any other team who would draw the 11am Thursday slot vs. UT. Akron draws so few for regular season games, them having 10k seems unlikely. Probably 6k for them and 4k for Toledo.
03-09-2024 04:50 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
WBB today: Perfect storm for Huskies, as NIU over WMU, Miami-O over Ohio. NIU has tiebreaker over Ohio so gets 6th seed and avoids playing 1-seed Toledo or 2-seed Ball State in Round 1. So I believe it's Kent State in MACT. At this point, wil take what we can get. NIU MBB is done.

And here it is ...

https://getsomemaction.com/documents/202...cket24.pdf
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2024 05:50 PM by pvk75.)
03-09-2024 05:44 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
Whoever wins this tournament is probably looking at a 15 seed. Every team looks very flawed. I don't see anyone putting up much of a fight in the tournament.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2024 10:15 PM by kreed5120.)
03-10-2024 11:12 AM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(03-10-2024 11:12 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  Whoever wins this tournament is probably looking at a 15 seed. Every team looks very flawed. I don't see anyway putting up much of a fight in the tournament.

If Ali Ali goes for 25, Freeman gets 15 boards and has a matchup win over a center, and Akron slows it down and defends they can beat a lot of teams.

Toledo and Ohio could shoot 60% from three and win a game 100 to 96. Ohio is very deep. Toledo has 6 capable scorers so taking away 1 player doesn't really hurt. These 15 seeds are more often overlooked although the opponent is better.

There's a chance...
03-10-2024 12:50 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
(03-10-2024 12:50 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(03-10-2024 11:12 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  Whoever wins this tournament is probably looking at a 15 seed. Every team looks very flawed. I don't see anyway putting up much of a fight in the tournament.

If Ali Ali goes for 25, Freeman gets 15 boards and has a matchup win over a center, and Akron slows it down and defends they can beat a lot of teams.

Toledo and Ohio could shoot 60% from three and win a game 100 to 96. Ohio is very deep. Toledo has 6 capable scorers so taking away 1 player doesn't really hurt. These 15 seeds are more often overlooked although the opponent is better.

There's a chance...

On paper this Akron team looked dangerously good coming into the season. They even were playing fairly well during OOC with close losses to several top 100 teams despite Ali being out.

Since that time they have looked very exposed. Outside of Freeman, nobody has really done the gritty work of giving 110% on those 50/50 balls. None of the transfer guards emerged as a viable starter. Dawson doesn't look like the same player he was prior to the injury. I just don't think this team ever reached its potential and currently looks like they're in free fall. The talent is there, but I'm just not hopeful that they will magically fix everything.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2024 04:23 PM by kreed5120.)
03-10-2024 04:19 PM
adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

Mens hoops is largely a dumpster fire nationally in my opinion. Many top 15 teams can’t win on the road consistently. I’ll take our chances in a 1 game series as a 15 seed and see what happens. Better than not getting there.
03-10-2024 06:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.