Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bamford: MAC expected to renew sponsoring men's soccer in 2025-26
Bookmark and Share
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Bamford: MAC expected to renew sponsoring men's soccer in 2025-26
According to Daily Hampshire Gazette reporter Connor Pignatello, UMass Athletics Director Ryan Bamford said he expects the MAC to renew sponsoring men's soccer once UMass joins the conference beginning in 2025-26.

https://www.gazettenet.com/-Good-chance-...s-54330746

This means that Bowling Green, Northern Illinois and Western Michigan (MVC), along with Akron (Big East), will all return to the MAC, to be joined by UMass and at least one new affiliate member.

One potential affiliate member is Delaware, which will be leaving the CAA for CUSA, which doesn't currently sponsor men's soccer.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2024 08:24 PM by BeatWestern!.)
03-09-2024 08:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WesternDave Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
RE: Bamford: MAC expected to renew sponsoring men's soccer in 2025-26
I'd rather we restarted the conference when we have six full time members. Playing whack-a-mole isn't a way to run a conference.
03-09-2024 08:50 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Agree. Akron might be a little peeved having to drop Big East soccer, but long-term this could be great for the MAC. Like to see the MAC have it's own, and finding an affiliate for 6 hopefully won't be that hard. If brought back, is there an NCAA delay for an autobid?

I don't know the Zips' record but understand they're usually nationally ranked. IDK also what WMU and BGSU have done, so maybe some of their posters can help out here. NIU made it to Round 2 of the 2021 NCAA tournament (beat Oakland, lost to Pitt). Don't know what UMass has done but maybe Steve1981, e-parade or some others can fill us in.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2024 09:03 PM by pvk75.)
03-09-2024 08:59 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Rank wise, nothing special, but good for the A10. RPI #103, down a bit this year. Ib the past an at-large NCAA bid. Delaware is up a bit at #81. NIU is #92, Western Mich is #6 and Akron is #45.
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men...soccer-rpi
Quote:A veteran coach with a history of bringing success to collegiate programs, Fran O'Leary took over as the head coach of the University of Massachusetts men's soccer program prior to the 2015 campaign. O'Leary has experience at multiple levels of collegiate soccer and has spent time coaching at the professional level as well.

In his sixth season in Amherst, O'Leary coached the Minutemen to a 7-2-3 overall record during the 2020 campaign to earn one of 14 at-large bids to the NCAA Tournament on their way to earning a first round bye. UMass earned three First-Team All-Atlantic 10 selections, led by A-10 Rookie of the Year and the league-leading goal scorer in Alec Hughes. Midfielders Yosuke Hanya and Ben Shepherd each ranked ninth in the country in assists while leading the conference in the category. As a squad, UMass has the seventh-ranked scoring offense and ranked 15th nationally in goals and 25th in assists.

The Minutemen earned their fourth straight Atlantic 10 Tournament berth in 2018 to mark just the second time in program history that the feat has been accomplished. UMass had two players selected second-team all-conference to go along with an all-rookie and an all-academic team selection.

In 2017, O’Leary led the Minutemen to both the Atlantic 10 outright regular season title and championship crown as UMass became the first team to accomplish the feat since 1991 on his way to being named the A-10 Coach of the Year. UMass finished the season with a 15-4-3 record, including a 10-2-1 mark at Rudd Field as the Minutemen finished with four all-conference honorees. Along with the all-league honors. O’Leary’s squad picked up multiple individual awards in addition to the all-conference honors, including an United Soccer Coaches All-America Third-Team selection and league rookie of the year.

https://umassathletics.com/sports/mens-s...leary/2115
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2024 10:15 PM by Steve1981.)
03-09-2024 09:12 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

Meh. Not interested in going back to a mini-conference cobbling together plug ‘n play affiliates. Like Dave said, if we get a full solid core, then it’d sound alright.
03-09-2024 10:11 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(03-09-2024 09:12 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Rank wise, nothing special, but good for the A10. RPI #103, down a bit this year. Ib the past an at-large NCAA bid. Delaware is up a bit at #81. NIU is #92, Western Mich is #6 and Akron is #45

And BGSU is #118. Honestly don't care about Delaware.

Thanks for digging it out.

Not a terrific fan myself, but surprised to see WMU so high and ranked over Akron, which we heard so much about.

Also -- new topic -- has there been any talk about women's volleyball starting up at UMass? Used to love watching when I spent more time around the U. Great women's spectator sport.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2024 12:09 AM by pvk75.)
03-09-2024 11:06 PM
Advertisement

Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
(03-09-2024 08:16 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  According to Daily Hampshire Gazette reporter Connor Pignatello, UMass Athletics Director Ryan Bamford said he expects the MAC to renew sponsoring men's soccer once UMass joins the conference beginning in 2025-26.

This means that Bowling Green, Northern Illinois and Western Michigan (MVC), along with Akron (Big East), will all return to the MAC, to be joined by UMass and at least one new affiliate member.

One potential affiliate member is Delaware, which will be leaving the CAA for CUSA, which doesn't currently sponsor men's soccer.

Remind me which MAC schools recently dropped soccer?
03-10-2024 03:18 AM
Porcine Online
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas, SBC
(03-09-2024 08:16 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  According to Daily Hampshire Gazette reporter Connor Pignatello, UMass Athletics Director Ryan Bamford said he expects the MAC to renew sponsoring men's soccer once UMass joins the conference beginning in 2025-26.

Other CUSA member Liberty is the OVC, they might want to be together similar to Kentucky/South Carolina and UCF/WVU in the SBC. That would leave the OVC with 6 as Chicago State is going to the NEC.
03-10-2024 08:39 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(03-09-2024 11:06 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  
(03-09-2024 09:12 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Rank wise, nothing special, but good for the A10. RPI #103, down a bit this year. Ib the past an at-large NCAA bid. Delaware is up a bit at #81. NIU is #92, Western Mich is #6 and Akron is #45

And BGSU is #118. Honestly don't care about Delaware.

Thanks for digging it out.

Not a terrific fan myself, but surprised to see WMU so high and ranked over Akron, which we heard so much about.

Also -- new topic -- has there been any talk about women's volleyball starting up at UMass? Used to love watching when I spent more time around the U. Great women's spectator sport.

No, but like the idea. Then we could add a few scholarships to baseball, which may only have 1 scholly.
03-10-2024 09:02 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(03-10-2024 03:18 AM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  Remind me which MAC schools recently dropped soccer?

Buffalo dropped the sport after the 2016 season, leaving the MAC with four schools. For several years thereafter, the MAC had been plugging in two affiliates, but that finally became too much, and the men's soccer programs went their separate ways for the 2023 season.
03-10-2024 09:59 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

Missouri State is #23 and affiliate mates. So if they commit to CUSA, could we bring them in to strengthen the league. Also curious the type of money available from NCAA Tournament.
Did notice MVC has 9 teams and if the MAC teams are pulled, they need Missouri State for the auto bid.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2024 12:17 PM by Steve1981.)
03-10-2024 11:40 AM
Advertisement

Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

(03-10-2024 09:59 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  
(03-10-2024 03:18 AM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  Remind me which MAC schools recently dropped soccer?

Buffalo dropped the sport after the 2016 season, leaving the MAC with four schools. For several years thereafter, the MAC had been plugging in two affiliates, but that finally became too much, and the men's soccer programs went their separate ways for the 2023 season.

The OP article seems to imply that multiple MAC soccer members dropped it last year so I'm not sure about the reporting here. Also no reason given for why the UMass AD 'expects' resumption although he's obviously connected to MAC leadership. Definitely a wait and see..
03-10-2024 01:21 PM
WesternDave Offline
1st String

(03-10-2024 11:40 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Missouri State is #23 and affiliate mates. So if they commit to CUSA, could we bring them in to strengthen the league. Also curious the type of money available from NCAA Tournament.
Did notice MVC has 9 teams and if the MAC teams are pulled, they need Missouri State for the auto bid.

It felt like Missouri State is the strongest soccer school of the MVC prior to the three MAC schools joining the conference last season. I would be surprised if MSU would leave a good thing there to come to a reformed MAC, should MSU join CUSA. Again, I don't have any inside information, just a feel when WMU joined the MVC.
03-10-2024 02:37 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(03-10-2024 01:21 PM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  
(03-10-2024 09:59 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  

The OP article seems to imply that multiple MAC soccer members dropped it last year so I'm not sure about the reporting here. ...

The reporting is inaccurate there ... the MAC dropped from six to four when the Sunbelt did the big CUSA raid and their two Georgia schools were called back from the MAC to their home conference.

The MAC couldn't find another good pair to replace them, and slotted Chicago State in for a year to retain their autobid under the grace period rule before sorting out new homes.

MAC men's soccer has had turnover -- Marshall played soccer, MiamiU dropped soccer in the late 90's, have had Kentucky as a member because the SEC was not sponsoring soccer, has had WVU as a member because they left the Big East for the Big12, Buffalo played soccer when they joined until six or seven year ago ...

... but didn't actually have problems with the autobid threshold so long as they have had at least five main conference members. It was when the MAC dropped down to four when Buffalo dropped men's soccer that the MAC was on shakier ground.

It did really seem like having the two Georgia Sunbelt schools would stabilize things, but then the restructure of the Sunbelt and the Sunbelt sponsoring men's soccer shot that down.

The Georgia schools were better travel partners than UMass and Delaware would be, but if Delaware is looking for a spot, seems like a workable solution.
03-10-2024 06:20 PM
Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

Whatever happens in 2025 and beyond once UMass joins, we'll have another season of status quo. Any idea when the 2024 fall soccer schedules come out?
03-11-2024 12:11 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
So we'd rather be plug-ins in other conferences then be in our home conference & have plug-ins?

But no doubt about it, finding a 6th full-member then relying on a plug-in would be best. But I can't see it happening either way.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2024 12:18 PM by Bronco'14.)
03-11-2024 12:16 PM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2024 12:16 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  So we'd rather be plug-ins in other conferences then be in our home conference & have plug-ins?

In this case, yes. The MVC has 9 soccer members and wouldn't need to worry (as much) about dropping below the minimum requirement like the MAC consistently did.

I'd feel more comfortable if a couple more full-time MAC members joined the fray.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2024 12:23 PM by Motown Bronco.)
03-11-2024 12:22 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(03-11-2024 12:16 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  So we'd rather be plug-ins in other conferences then be in our home conference & have plug-ins?

But no doubt about it, finding a 6th full-member then relying on a plug-in would be best. But I can't see it happening either way.

It seems like it would take Delaware switching their move to the MAC for a sixth full member to show up ... so either way, Delaware seems the most likely sixth member, just a whole lot more likely as an affiliate than as a full member.

It seems like WMU, Bowling Green and Northern Illinois would probably prefer to be in their home conference with a plug-in ... but for Akron, being in the Midwest division of Big East men's soccer is a really good place for their program to be.
03-11-2024 12:30 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2024 12:22 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  

In this case, yes. The MVC has 9 soccer members and wouldn't need to worry (as much) about dropping below the minimum requirement like the MAC consistently did.

I'd feel more comfortable if a couple more full-time MAC members joined the fray.

IDK, seems like teams need to concentrate on the revenue sports than add adidtional sports. There is no rush. Perhaps in the next 3-5 months a 14th team is added or not and if the have soccer or not.
03-11-2024 12:34 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

Funnily enough, my first thought about soccer was that we might end up in a better situation. If this comes to be then that might be accurate?
03-11-2024 12:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.