Open TigerLinks

Penny laughs at critics, says he’s done a “great job”
Bookmark and Share
MtownTigers916 Online
Tiger PhD

I Root For: Memphis
Penny laughs at critics, says he’s done a “great job”
https://dailymemphian.com/section/sports...CssYFgEKqI

Call me crazy, but finishing 5th in the 10th best conference isn’t a great job. It would’ve been more appropriate to say that he is disappointed by the results of this season so far and that we are hungry to not go out like that in the conference tournament.

Penny is a disaster in interviews. He’s as inconsistent as the team this year, vacillating between humility and downright narcissism. Some of his comments remind me of Pastner towards the end of his tenure here
03-12-2024 07:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
RE: Penny laughs at critics, says he’s done a “great job”
Does it ever end?
03-12-2024 07:30 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
He's no different than the people who run the city of Memphis government. None of them have ever been wrong about one thing and they produce results (in their own minds) whether they are quantifiable or not. Half of them are complete idiots who check a box and don't care whether or not they are actually competent at their job. They share one commonality, extreme arrogance without cause.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2024 07:39 AM by TigerBlue4Ever.)
03-12-2024 07:39 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-12-2024 07:19 AM)MtownTigers916 Wrote:  https://dailymemphian.com/section/sports...CssYFgEKqI

Call me crazy, but finishing 5th in the 10th best conference isn’t a great job. It would’ve been more appropriate to say that he is disappointed by the results of this season so far and that we are hungry to not go out like that in the conference tournament.

Penny is a disaster in interviews. He’s as inconsistent as the team this year, vacillating between humility and downright narcissism. Some of his comments remind me of Pastner towards the end of his tenure here

Was just gonna say he sounds more and more like Pastner every day. Nothing screams underachieving like saying “but I’ve done a great job and don’t see why people don’t understand that”

Maybe he’ll start talking about positive Paul, the magic happy bus, and break out some flash cards
03-12-2024 07:44 AM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
6 years in…
No regular season conference title in a weak league
1 NCAA tournament win
I suppose we’ve hit our ceiling & should be happy to have him.
03-12-2024 07:49 AM
gotohellolemiss Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
The problem is Penny is correct on most of what he said. But, saying it right now looks defensive and slightly delusional. He's engaging his internet critics. A season can be disappointing without it being a death sentence for the coach.

The other small problem I have is the framing of this story. These were comments on a coach's show, a place where a coach should be able to freely speak directly to the biggest fans and boosters. Penny wasn't lashing out to the national media or calling a Tommy West type press conference. The vast majority of people in attendance or making time for the show probably agree with him.
03-12-2024 07:59 AM
Advertisement

dwash Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-12-2024 07:19 AM)MtownTigers916 Wrote:  https://dailymemphian.com/section/sports...CssYFgEKqI

Tubby as well. Penny said its not easy to recruit in Memphis, not easy to get players to come.here....didnt Tubby get roasted for saying players wouldnt come here??
03-12-2024 08:03 AM
tigerfan39 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Are you looking at the total body of work or just this year? Winning the conference last year was great.
03-12-2024 08:07 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
(03-12-2024 08:03 AM)dwash Wrote:  

Tubby as well. Penny said its not easy to recruit in Memphis, not easy to get players to come.here....didnt Tubby get roasted for saying players wouldnt come here??

We really need to stop with the fallacy this is still a hotbed for basketball talent. This isn’t the 1980s or even the 90s. Neither of the top two so called local players went to high school here. We are now the drag racing/car jacking murder capital.
03-12-2024 08:14 AM
Marc Mensa Offline

(03-12-2024 08:14 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  

We really need to stop with the fallacy this is still a hotbed for basketball talent. This isn’t the 1980s or even the 90s. Neither of the top two so called local players went to high school here. We are now the drag racing/car jacking murder capital.

Yet Penny had a #1 recruiting class based largely off a class of kids from East HS.
Memphis still produces talent but basketball academies have been scooping them up and putting them on a national stage… ie Kennedy Chandler, Billy Richmond, Cutis Givens, etc…
That being said, Penny nor Josh have had trouble recruiting talent to Memphis… we’ve always had generous boosters… but managing a roster of kids with divergent goals is the real challenge.
03-12-2024 08:26 AM
dwash Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-12-2024 08:14 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  

Thats true but local hs talent is not what that statement refers too imo. Its talking about if its easy to get players to play in Memphis or to come to the school in general.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2024 08:27 AM by dwash.)
03-12-2024 08:27 AM
Advertisement

MtownTigers916 Online
Tiger PhD

Talent hasn’t been an issue. I think what we have seen is that Penny needs an overwhelming amount of talent to cover up his coaching deficiencies. That talent is going to become closer to average (but still well above the conference mean) as boosters and recruits see his lack of results.

Penny couldn’t do it with a huge talent advantage— there’s no way he could do more with less.
03-12-2024 08:51 AM
Marc Mensa Offline

(03-12-2024 08:51 AM)MtownTigers916 Wrote:  Talent hasn’t been an issue. I think what we have seen is that Penny needs an overwhelming amount of talent to cover up his coaching deficiencies. That talent is going to become closer to average (but still well above the conference mean) as boosters and recruits see his lack of results.

Penny couldn’t do it with a huge talent advantage— there’s no way he could do more with less.

I think Penny would do better with fewer options. Last year was, in my opinion, his best coaching job, and he had only 2 real stars… DeAndre & Kendrick. I personally think he would be better with a shorter bench.
03-12-2024 08:55 AM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
You guys that want Penny gone are gonna be in a real shock when you see what coaches would line up for our job. Our conference situation is dire and with the possible split between the P4 and everyone else, it'll be tough to get anyone to jump ship to us.

Penny as a coach has a lot of flaws and I don't think some of those will ever be fixed. But it's more likely than not that whatever we replace him with will be a definite downgrade.
03-12-2024 09:00 AM
Gusrob2.0 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: My Alma Mater - MEMPHIS
Penny has excelled at many parts of the job. He's good at all parts of the job. Given our conference situation, it takes near perfection.
03-12-2024 09:10 AM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-12-2024 08:07 AM)tigerfan39 Wrote:  

Are you looking at the total body of work or just this year? Winning the conference last year was great.

Tigers did not win the conference last year, Houston did. Tigers did win the conference tournament though. I think that is what the post was referring to.
03-12-2024 09:42 AM
Advertisement

true_blue_thru_and_thru Offline
All American

I Root For: The Tigers
(03-12-2024 09:00 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  You guys that want Penny gone are gonna be in a real shock when you see what coaches would line up for our job. Our conference situation is dire and with the possible split between the P4 and everyone else, it'll be tough to get anyone to jump ship to us.

Penny as a coach has a lot of flaws and I don't think some of those will ever be fixed. But it's more likely than not that whatever we replace him with will be a definite downgrade.

Exactly, it'd be one thing if we sucked major like with Tubby or even sliding into mediocrity like Pastner but Penny can still win big games and recruit big.

The comment about no regular season conference titles and being in a crap conference well this year for sure but before that we were in a conference with freaking Houston who was the number one team in the country. Side note, Penny beat that team and has beat other really good teams too.

Again, this year was an abject disappointment but not bad enough where I think he needs to be fired. Its all moot anyway because as long as Bill Laurie is supporting Penny and Penny actually wants to be here, he'll be here.
03-12-2024 10:06 AM
tiger1016 Offline
Hall of Famer

Man…Penny, just keep yo mouth shut and handle business this weekend. SMFH
03-12-2024 10:10 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-12-2024 09:10 AM)Gusrob2.0 Wrote:  Penny has excelled at many parts of the job. He's good at all parts of the job. Given our conference situation, it takes near perfection.

I guess we need to let the Miserables miserate.
When my daughter was a baby, she went through a phase where she cried every night wanting to be coddled.
Finally my wife and I just had to bite the bullet and let her cry it out.
She eventually exhausted herself, self soothed and started sleeping better.
How many more threads you think it takes before they exhaust themselves?
03-12-2024 10:11 AM
Titans3775 Offline
All American

I Root For: Nuclear Power
Best program by alot, highest budget by alot, best facilities by alot, most fans by alot. There is no way you can come to the conclusion he has done a good job. He has so many built-in advantages that the schools that are beating us don't have. His highs aren't worth the amount of rock bottom lows he has put us through.
03-12-2024 10:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.