Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BGSU accepts bid in the CIT
Bookmark and Share
OSUFALCON Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: BGSU
BGSU accepts bid in the CIT
BG will play Purdue Fort Wayne (21-12) at home Wednesday at 7:00.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 09:08 AM by OSUFALCON.)
03-17-2024 07:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Online
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: BGSU accepts bid in the CIT
(03-17-2024 07:46 PM)OSUFALCON Wrote:  BG will play Purdue Fort Wayne (21-10) at home Wednesday at 7:00.
Isn't that the tournament that schools pay to enter?
03-17-2024 08:29 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Always good experience and to extend the season if not to banged up. Knew that was the reason that those tournaments would not happen for us.
03-17-2024 09:33 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(03-17-2024 08:29 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
(03-17-2024 07:46 PM)OSUFALCON Wrote:  BG will play Purdue Fort Wayne (21-10) at home Wednesday at 7:00.

IIUC, hosts of the four, four-team classics pay in the CIT ... like $30,000, for visitor travel subsidy, etc. ... it's up to them to earn the money back from ticket sales if they can. The winner of each classic gets a trophy, and goes into the CIT final four.

The CBI has all schools pay $27,500 entry fee, and plays at a single site, with NIL payouts to winner, runner-up and semi-final runners up ... the grand prize is $25,000, so I guess people can do the math there.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2024 09:50 PM by BruceMcF.)
03-17-2024 09:46 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(03-17-2024 09:46 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

IIUC, hosts of the four, four-team classics pay in the CIT ... like $30,000, for visitor travel subsidy, etc. ... it's up to them to earn the money back from ticket sales if they can. The winner of each classic gets a trophy, and goes into the CIT final four.

The CBI has all schools pay $27,500 entry fee, and plays at a single site, with NIL payouts to winner, runner-up and semi-final runners up ... the grand prize is $25,000, so I guess people can do the math there.

The interesting part at this point is that they still have not released a full 16-team field yet. They're still missing 7 teams. I wonder if they are having trouble finding teams to accept?

https://www.collegeinsider.com/tournamen...esults.php
03-18-2024 08:32 AM
Advertisement

OSUFALCON Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: BGSU
(03-18-2024 08:32 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(03-17-2024 09:46 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

The interesting part at this point is that they still have not released a full 16-team field yet. They're still missing 7 teams. I wonder if they are having trouble finding teams to accept?

https://www.collegeinsider.com/tournamen...esults.php

I would say that’s obvious Tom, they have Norfolk St playing TBA. I would say this tournament will go away after this year. I think the CBI is a better approach with all games at one site over a few days. Cost to the schools might be higher but at least they filled their tournament.
For BG this gives them another opportunity for a game or two. Hopefully finishing on a positive note.
03-18-2024 09:13 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I do not know where the four classics are located ... since they only have one Classic filled up, two with only a single pair of schools and one with a single school and no opponent, and the above sounds like BGSU is hosting one of the classics that is missing the other semi-final, it sounds like they are having trouble rounding up visitors.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 10:44 AM by BruceMcF.)
03-18-2024 10:43 AM
luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES
With multiple teams turning down NIT bids, means some teams are moving up. They had trouble filling this tournament last year
03-18-2024 10:58 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-18-2024 10:58 AM)luckyflash Wrote:  With multiple teams turning down NIT bids, means some teams are moving up. They had trouble filling this tournament last year

The new NIT means there are 12 guaranteed spots for P6 schools, 11 of which were taken, so the "teams moving up" would be more focused on the P6 schools, which would come out of the pool for the CBI, not the pool for the CIT, since it's the CBI that takes P6 schools.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 12:48 PM by BruceMcF.)
03-18-2024 12:45 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

The 9 schools already announced for the CIT are all the ones they could find (so no last minute school squeezed out of the NIT by the new rules throwing their hat in the ring).

The full classic that they have is going two rounds, with the second round being a quarterfinal as planned. The two pairing that they have, for four team classics at Austin Peay and at Bowling Green, are quarterfinals, so basically a bye in the "first round" of the classic.

And Norfolk State hosts a semi-final against one of those "first game quarterfinals.

The winner of the Bowling Green game is slotted into a semi with the winner of the Texas-based Classic.

[{(Abilene Christian vs Texas A&M)
at/vs
(Texas Southern @ Tarleton State)}
vs
{Purdue Ft. Wayne @ Bowling Green}]
|
vs
|
[{Alabama A&M @ Austin Peay} @ Nortfolk State]

So the upshot is that Bowling Green has a bye into the Quarterfinals, have one (home) game to win for the "Jim Phelan Classic" trophy, and are three rather then four wins away from the CIT tournament championship.
03-19-2024 12:14 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
The portal has exploded in the past few years. When you have teams losing 3-4+ players to transfer, it makes it hard for teams to even field a roster for these tier 3 and tier 4 tournament. The CIT should probably be done away with. In an ideal world I'd say expand the NIT to 48 and end both the tournaments.
03-19-2024 01:01 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(03-19-2024 01:01 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  The portal has exploded in the past few years. When you have teams losing 3-4+ players to transfer, it makes it hard for teams to even field a roster for these tier 3 and tier 4 tournament.

I don't follow basketball closely, but it seems to me Bowling Green head coach Todd Simon wanted to participate because he wants to show fans some quick progress -- look guys, 20 wins and some postseason play -- and give his players some additional time on the court. If I were in his shoes, I'd give extra time to guys who are certain to return, treating it the way football programs use bowl season.

Quote:The CIT should probably be done away with. In an ideal world I'd say expand the NIT to 48 and end both the tournaments.

The problem is, the NCAA is turning the NIT into a P5 mediocrity party. The way they are running that thing makes it difficult to trust them. But, on paper, sure: Expand it so that all regular season champions could have automatic bids again. (If that means going to 64, fine with me. But I'm not a hoops fan, really.)
03-19-2024 02:18 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-19-2024 02:18 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  ...
Quote:The CIT should probably be done away with. In an ideal world I'd say expand the NIT to 48 and end both the tournaments.

The problem is, the NCAA is turning the NIT into a P5 mediocrity party. The way they are running that thing makes it difficult to trust them. ...

And the four unseeded P6 schools traveled to P6 schools. Since the extra 16 would come almost entirely from non-P6 conference, I could see the P6 schools pushing back against that kind of idea behind the scenes.

Quote: But, on paper, sure: Expand it so that all regular season champions could have automatic bids again. (If that means going to 64, fine with me. But I'm not a hoops fan, really.)

Thinking about the ESPN Go5 bowl games, if ESPN ran the CIT, with four classics on ESPN+ and then a final four on ESPNU, they'd be a lot more likely to fill out the bracket.
03-19-2024 11:43 PM
Advertisement

MacLord Offline
All American

I Root For:
11-win Chicago State is in one of these tournaments, I saw.
03-20-2024 03:19 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-20-2024 03:19 AM)MacLord Wrote:  11-win Chicago State is in one of these tournaments, I saw.

They are the 15th seed, because the CBI didn't get 16 schools who wanted to come to the tournament.

The 11 win team in the CIT is Alabama A&M, who play 19 win Austin Peay tonight.
03-20-2024 09:23 AM
Spolovilo4EVER Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tarleton Baylor
I was hoping BGSU would win because I think we would get more fans to come out and see Bowling Green than we will for Purdue Ft Wayne. I am surprised that with the P6 taking the majority of the NIT slots that the CBI and CIT do not get more interest from mid major schools. I am just glad they are broadcasting the games on ESPN+ We were 2nd in the WAC this year but would have been ineligible for the NCAA/NIT anyway because it is our 4th and final year of transition to D1.
03-21-2024 12:24 AM
Spolovilo4EVER Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tarleton Baylor
I am happy for Chi State to get to play in the post season. They were bottom dwellers and a major outlier in the WAC and I am glad they are not in the WAC anymore, but I wish them well.
03-21-2024 12:26 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

The CIT no longer has an 11 win team in the tournament ... Alabama A&M won their first game, so now they are a 12 win team.
03-22-2024 09:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.