Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chicago State receives post season invitation! Set to play in the CBI Tournament
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
Chicago State receives post season invitation! Set to play in the CBI Tournament
Very exciting news. I thought it might happen, but gave up hope a little after some end of the season struggles.

The Cougars are the 15 seed and will play 2 seed UC San Diego on March 23.

No doubt, winning 3 games versus NCAA Tournament teams, especially the Northwestern win, gave them an edge. I doubt many teams in the CBI or CIT can say the same. I doubt many in either field have a Quad 1 either.

The tournament is hosted all at one site in Daytona Beach, Florida, so the Cougars will probably bring a huge crowd. It will be a home crowd than what they get at home.

I know there are people who think tournaments like this shouldn’t exist, and that’s fine. Most of them are P5 fans who know little about low major programs, and have no idea what being an independent is like. So to them, I kindly say kiss off and don’t watch lol.

https://www.gocsucougars.com/news/2024/3...ional.aspx
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 08:00 PM by Todor.)
03-18-2024 12:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Chicago State receives post season invitation! Set to play in the CBI Tournament
This is great for the program. There was the CIT back in 2013 - and there’s a CIT banner hanging at the JCC - but I just assumed CSU wouldn’t do these kinds of tournaments again due to the expenses. It’s a good sign they’re able to do it.

Good tournament experience in preparation for next year’s NEC Tournament.
03-18-2024 01:08 AM
Todor Offline
Heisman

RE: Chicago State receives post season invitation! Set to play in the CBI Tournament
UC San Diego is a formidable opponent. They are a 2 seed for a reason. I remember watching the game versus San Diego State where SDSU was very lucky to get out with a win.

UCSD was Big West runner up. Their NET is 120, which is so impressive. That is ahead of the Summit League Champ, and around the 2-3 in the WAC and CUSA. It’s ahead of about 7 teams in the NCAA. So, it’s going to take a very well played game for the Cougars to get a win.

Chicago has definitely beaten better teams than them this season. The 1 month layoff between games is very concerning though. I would imagine that Coach Gillion has a few informal games lined up with some local schools, and might have already played a few.

I said before that I was disappointed they didn’t have a Gonzaga or Fresno type of money game like last season. That would have been a nice filler.

But this is such a great opportunity for the program. I hope they can make the most of it so their Florida fans can see them as many times as possible. That’s the best motivation this team has.
03-18-2024 09:09 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
How about that! Honestly, I did not expect it.
03-18-2024 05:25 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

(03-18-2024 01:08 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  This is great for the program. There was the CIT back in 2013 - and there’s a CIT banner hanging at the JCC - but I just assumed CSU wouldn’t do these kinds of tournaments again due to the expenses. It’s a good sign they’re able to do it.

Good tournament experience in preparation for next year’s NEC Tournament.

(03-18-2024 05:25 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  How about that! Honestly, I did not expect it.

It’s funny, we have talked about the possibility, but it died down when we knew they couldn’t reach .500 or at least around 15 wins. I don’t think any of us ever talked it about it after that.

But some many teams opted out of, or turned down the NIT, that opened up a lot of spots to teams that would have been in the CBI or CIT. And with the transfer portal being so active, many schools won’t pay for a team to go play in these tournaments because they know it’s likely most of their players will be leaving anyway, so no point in giving them any more experience. And there are enough really good teams in the 2 tournaments that they aren’t likely to be able to win anyway, so they just stay home.

I don’t know if you get around to all the sections of the site much, but I started a thread about Chicago State in the main sports forum part. It’s gotten a fair number of positive responses, and you might enjoy a couple of my long posts that touch on how important it is for Chicago State to be playing in Daytona Beach for family and friends, and how this can be an important recruiting trip because so many contacts can see the big Cougar contingency, meet with coaches and current players etc. A lot of people can’t afford to do a lot of campus visits etc.

It’s here if you’d like to read it.
https://csnbbs.com/thread-988464.html
03-18-2024 07:58 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

UCSD is favored by 10. I hope the Cougars make a good game of it, win or lose. Of course, I’m concerned about having over a month since the last game. That’s a pretty unique situation. I’m not sure what to expect honestly.
03-22-2024 07:42 PM
Advertisement

IstvanTelecky Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: SLU, WFU, CSU
11-9 UCSD at the first media.
03-23-2024 02:40 PM
IstvanTelecky Offline
Water Engineer

UCSD up 16-14 at the second media. They’re 4-5 from the arc, Cougars 2-7. Corbett with 10 on 4-4 shooting.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2024 02:48 PM by IstvanTelecky.)
03-23-2024 02:46 PM
IstvanTelecky Offline
Water Engineer

22-22 at the under 8. UCSD with an 11-7 advantage on the glass.
03-23-2024 02:57 PM
IstvanTelecky Offline
Water Engineer

31-28 bad guys at the under 4. UCSD’s rebound advantage increases to 5.
03-23-2024 03:05 PM
IstvanTelecky Offline
Water Engineer

38-38 at the half. Both teams playing well. Cardet with 14, Corbett 12.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2024 03:19 PM by IstvanTelecky.)
03-23-2024 03:18 PM
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

At the break, at least I have no worries about the Cougars coming out flat, disjointed, or looking lost from their long break. They showed up, in other words. Definitely there to play.

UCSD hasn’t been able to slow Cardet down much at all.
03-23-2024 03:18 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I’m hoping a few more 3’s fall for the Cougars in half two. The Cougars have hot some in the first, but a fairly low rate.

If they hit a few more early in the second, that keep UCSD defense extended more and give Cardet more chances at the rim.

Things sometimes switch at the half, but I am optimistic about the Cougars chances still. Hopefully the opponent will cook off from the 3 in half two.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2024 03:27 PM by Todor.)
03-23-2024 03:26 PM
IstvanTelecky Offline
Water Engineer

10-4 run to start the second half and it’s 48-42 good guys!!
03-23-2024 03:38 PM
IstvanTelecky Offline
Water Engineer

53-47 with 15:00 to go. Good start to the half with points off turnovers. Need to get keep them from getting points in the paint. Otherwise, an excellent start to the half.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2024 03:44 PM by IstvanTelecky.)
03-23-2024 03:44 PM
IstvanTelecky Offline
Water Engineer

10:52 to go, CSU 55-52. Offense has hit a lull with no points in over 3 mins. 5 team fouls to none for UCSD could be a factor late. Need to stop fouling so much.
03-23-2024 03:52 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

No matter how this turns out, this should be a huge confidence builder for next season.
03-23-2024 03:55 PM
IstvanTelecky Offline
Water Engineer

CSU has gone ice cold from the floor. No points in over 5 mins. Tied at 55, under 9 to go.
03-23-2024 03:57 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

If Cardet is going to jack up so many 3s, he needs to make a few of them.
03-23-2024 03:58 PM
IstvanTelecky Offline
Water Engineer

No points in over 7 mins. Bad guys up 57-55 and shooting FTs. They’re in the bonus but have only team foul. Got to get the momentum back.
03-23-2024 04:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.