Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would ESPN consider giving an AAC offer to the ACC's media deal?
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
Would ESPN consider giving an AAC offer to the ACC's media deal?
What I mean is when Cincy, Houston, and UCF left the AAC for the B12, they offered to keep the AAC media deal the same if they added 6 schools at half shares.

We know ESPN could drop the ACC contract in Feb. 2025, but while most think ESPN drops the deal if FSU leaves, I could see, if the ACC lost 4 members to B1G/SEC, ESPN offer to keep the media deal payout as is (at least for the 10 remaining members as of 2016) if they add 8 members at up to half shares and count Cal, SMU, and Stanford as 3 of the 8 additions to gain more content to broadcast for free (likely plucking from mostly non-ESPN properties like OSU, WSU, UCONN, SDSU, and USF) for 18/19 (compared to 14/15).

Then ESPN probably tells the AAC to add 2 or 3 more members at half shares for losing SMU and USF to keep their deal the same (likely plucking from CUSA, maybe the SBC).
03-18-2024 07:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
RE: Would ESPN consider giving an AAC offer to the ACC's media deal?
(03-18-2024 07:14 AM)GoBuckeyes1047 Wrote:  We know ESPN could drop the ACC contract in Feb. 2025

Experts have said that will not happen
03-18-2024 07:17 AM
Garrettabc Online
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
Seems ESPN would use that 2027 clause to negotiate down in which the ACC/Jim Phillips will acquiesce just as they did with the playoff distribution.
03-18-2024 07:32 AM
Advertisement

Thewavefan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
We certainly deserve a major tv increase after landing Army and possibly getting Air Force too. Once Clemson and Florida State bolt, there is really no difference between the AAC and ACC.
03-18-2024 08:11 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
I think if the ACC lost only FSU and Clemson, ESPN would keep their TV deal the same. The value would be less, but they are getting less than the Apple offer to the Pac 10 (assuming that Apple offer didn't include the Pac 12 Network-not certain of that). A big chunk of their TV deal is the ACC network. Their 50% of the profit sharing would decrease in amount, but it would still be 50%. And the money on Tier I and II would probably stay the same.
03-18-2024 10:42 AM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Online
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(03-18-2024 07:32 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Seems ESPN would use that 2027 clause to negotiate down in which the ACC/Jim Phillips will acquiesce just as they did with the playoff distribution.

Yeah, only the ACC gave up, everyone else was ready to go toe to toe with the P2 and give them the bird.

Phillips has one of the toughest jobs in Sports today. All the opprobrium he gets is not supported by the evidence:

1. Unlike Kliavkoff, Phillips has actually added 3 schools to help insulate the overall conference against potential defections
2. Unlike Kliavkoff, Phillips is trying to keep the Conference together by unleashing an army of lawyers on FSU
3. Phillips got a higher CFP per-school share for the ACC than King Yormark did for his Big 12 Kingdom

From what I can see here as an outside observer, if Phillips had gone to the Pac and Kliavkoff had gone to the ACC then their fortunes might be reversed right now. Phillips has given the ACC a chance, which, considering the circumstances, is impressive. Even in the Accpocalyptic scenario of 4-6 defections next Thursday, the ACC has a reasonable chance of sticking together instead of getting 2Pac'd, and it's in part because of decisions that Phillips has made. That doesn't always make him popular around here, especially with FSU fans and other interested parties, but that does mean that he is, at least potentially, a pretty good Commissioner. Put another way, the ACC has a better chance of being the next Big 12 instead of the next Pac 12, and Phillips gets a decent amount of credit for that.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 11:03 AM by bryanw1995.)
03-18-2024 10:54 AM
bryanw1995 Online
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(03-18-2024 08:11 AM)Thewavefan Wrote:  We certainly deserve a major tv increase after landing Army and possibly getting Air Force too. Once Clemson and Florida State bolt, there is really no difference between the AAC and ACC.

What makes you think that AFA would want to join the weakened AAC of today? They're going to play Army and Navy every year regardless, and the MWC + WSU/OSU is a much better Conference than the AAC as currently constituted. If anything, I could see the 2Pac or even MWC stealing Memphis, Tulane and UTSA and finishing the job of turning the AAC into CUSA 2.0.
03-18-2024 11:08 AM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(03-18-2024 10:54 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(03-18-2024 07:32 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Seems ESPN would use that 2027 clause to negotiate down in which the ACC/Jim Phillips will acquiesce just as they did with the playoff distribution.

Yeah, only the ACC gave up, everyone else was ready to go toe to toe with the P2 and give them the bird.

Phillips has one of the toughest jobs in Sports today. All the opprobrium he gets is not supported by the evidence:

1. Unlike Kliavkoff, Phillips has actually added 3 schools to help insulate the overall conference against potential defections
2. Unlike Kliavkoff, Phillips is trying to keep the Conference together by unleashing an army of lawyers on FSU
3. Phillips got a higher CFP per-school share for the ACC than King Yormark did for his Big 12 Kingdom

From what I can see here as an outside observer, if Phillips had gone to the Pac and Kliavkoff had gone to the ACC then their fortunes might be reversed right now. Phillips has given the ACC a chance, which, considering the circumstances, is impressive. Even in the Accpocalyptic scenario of 4-6 defections next Thursday, the ACC has a reasonable chance of sticking together instead of getting 2Pac'd, and it's in part because of decisions that Phillips has made. That doesn't always make him popular around here, especially with FSU fans and other interested parties, but that does mean that he is, at least potentially, a pretty good Commissioner. Put another way, the ACC has a better chance of being the next Big 12 instead of the next Pac 12, and Phillips gets a decent amount of credit for that.

Unfortunately it’s a common theme here.

We’re in the greatest month of the year—greatest week—and we’ve got a thread about killing the ACC and comments badmouthing the commish.

The reality is, FSU has been exposed as not really worth as much as they think. If they end up in the SEC or Big Ten, they will get $21m just like everyone else. They’re not going to all of the sudden pay the SEC $10m more or something ridiculous. No, they will take $21m from the ACC’s yearly payout and forward it to Birmingham. Even subtracting another payout—so $42m/year—the ACC would still be ahead of the Big XII. This of course is if the conference decides to remain at 15.

As noted, the ACCN is where a lot of money is made. So long as there is a school in FLA, the conference network is fine. The actual media deal isn’t crazy high to begin with. But think about it, if FSU and Clemson are gone, it allows Miami, Louisville, Carolina, Virginia Tech etc—all great brands—make playoff runs and increase their value.

All this hypothetical isn’t even considering the FSU case is far from being settled.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 11:26 AM by esayem.)
03-18-2024 11:26 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(03-18-2024 07:17 AM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(03-18-2024 07:14 AM)GoBuckeyes1047 Wrote:  We know ESPN could drop the ACC contract in Feb. 2025

Experts have said that will not happen

You had me for a second.

But the reality is, if ACC teams escape before Feb 2025, the ACC contract becomes much less attractive while not getting any less expensive.
03-18-2024 11:31 AM
Advertisement

PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(03-18-2024 10:54 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  Phillips has one of the toughest jobs in Sports today. All the opprobrium he gets is not supported by the evidence:

1. Unlike Kliavkoff, Phillips has actually added 3 schools to help insulate the overall conference against potential defections "Sir, would you like a band-aid for your bullet hole?"
2. Unlike Kliavkoff, Phillips is trying to keep the Conference together by unleashing an army of lawyers on FSU "Jim, maybe it'd be wiser if you pushed for a quick settlement with FSU, Clemson and whoever else wants to leave instead of asking us have-nots to fund a drawn-out legal mess that will only get worse when John Swofford's business dealings are exposed."
3. Phillips got a higher CFP per-school share for the ACC than King Yormark did for his Big 12 Kingdom What are the chances the ACC's share is higher than the Big 12's when 2026 CFP checks are cut? 1%?

+2 for opprobrium.

No idea what that word means. Not found in the North Florida dictionary
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 11:38 AM by PeteTheChop.)
03-18-2024 11:31 AM
Garrettabc Online
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
If you’re going to give credit to JP for landing Cal, Stan, SMU then you can also lay the blame on him for not securing UO and UW.

Great job by JP for playing chicken with FSU, the more we go into discovery the better FSU’s case looks.
03-18-2024 01:35 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-18-2024 08:11 AM)Thewavefan Wrote:  We certainly deserve a major tv increase after landing Army and possibly getting Air Force too. Once Clemson and Florida State bolt, there is really no difference between the AAC and ACC.

I think you're smoking too much of the wacky weed.
03-18-2024 01:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.