Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Univ. of Memphis releases construction plan for Liberty Stadium, starts in May
tigergatorcyclone Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Florida, Iowa State, Mem
Exclamation Univ. of Memphis releases construction plan for Liberty Stadium, starts in May
Read the article here.

The University of Memphis released their three phase plan for the Liberty Stadium $220 million renovation.

Construction begins in May.

Capacity will be 30,000 for 2024 and 2025. It will be 50,000 once fully done in 2026.

Should be one of the nicer stadiums in the AAC once complete!
03-20-2024 05:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
RE: Univ. of Memphis releases construction plan for Liberty Stadium, starts in May
Why would Memphis St. build Liberty U a new stadium?
03-20-2024 05:44 PM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
RE: Univ. of Memphis releases construction plan for Liberty Stadium, starts in May
(03-20-2024 05:02 PM)tigergatorcyclone Wrote:  Read the article here.

The University of Memphis released their three phase plan for the Liberty Stadium $220 million renovation.

Construction begins in May.

Capacity will be 30,000 for 2024 and 2025. It will be 50,000 once fully done in 2026.

Should be one of the nicer stadiums in the AAC once complete!

Looking good, Memphis! 04-cheers
03-20-2024 05:46 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
So what is the outlook to secure the necessary funding to actually execute this plan?

From the descriptions of the three construction phases, it appears that the really transformative Phase 2 and Phase 3 work is dependent on raising at least another $50 million ($25 million for each phase) to match funding pledges already made by the Smith Family.
03-20-2024 05:54 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(03-20-2024 05:54 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  So what is the outlook to secure the necessary funding to actually execute this plan?

From the descriptions of the three construction phases, it appears that the really transformative Phase 2 and Phase 3 work is dependent on raising at least another $50 million ($25 million for each phase) to match funding pledges already made by the Smith Family.

the AD says 16+ million has already been raised towards the 50 million dollar match.

[Image: resize?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdxbhsrqyrr690.c...;type=webp]
[Image: crop?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdxbhsrqyrr690.clo...;type=webp]
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2024 07:51 PM by UofMemphis.)
03-20-2024 07:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Looks similar. What's different?
03-20-2024 08:01 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
Memphis will get the money. P4 spots might be opening up soon, they’ll want to be ready
03-20-2024 08:03 PM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

(03-20-2024 07:49 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(03-20-2024 05:54 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  So what is the outlook to secure the necessary funding to actually execute this plan?

the AD says 16+ million has already been raised towards the 50 million dollar match.

[Image: resize?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdxbhsrqyrr690.c...;type=webp]
[Image: crop?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdxbhsrqyrr690.clo...;type=webp]

How much more to give the tiger a back end? 03-wink

A fine-looking stadium. Congratulations!
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2024 11:57 AM by Gitanole.)
03-20-2024 08:07 PM
ThunderDent Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Herd & SBC!
Interesting they took the name "Bowl" out of the stadium.

I guess it's a mouthful with all the new advert naming.

I'm sure everyone will still call it the Liberty Bowl and not Liberty Stadium. Which sounds stupid.

Seems like they're trying to force a square peg in a round hole naming wise. Just put the word Bowl back in, and keep all the ad jargon if they want.

Stadium looks killer. Good luck!
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2024 09:13 PM by ThunderDent.)
03-20-2024 09:12 PM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
(03-20-2024 08:01 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Looks similar. What's different?

True, the overall form of the future facility will be similar to that of the current stadium — with a key exception being a replacement press box (that looks to be extremely nice).

However, the function of the stadium, once the work is finished, will be much improved (concourse, restrooms, concessions, etc.)

Compared to many football stadiums (and particularly those recently constructed), the modernist-era Liberty Bowl offers a very distinctive (even a bit quirky) shape. And with updated colors, lighting, landscaping, etc., it could look very inviting.

Time will tell.
03-21-2024 08:24 AM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

(03-20-2024 09:12 PM)ThunderDent Wrote:  Interesting they took the name "Bowl" out of the stadium.

I guess it's a mouthful with all the new advert naming.

Stadium looks killer. Good luck!

Likely the difference helps to distinguish the venue from the annual exhibition game, which would have its own sponsor.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2024 11:52 AM by Gitanole.)
03-21-2024 10:09 AM
Boots Offline
2nd String

I Root For: *Memphis
One big development over the last few months as part of this....the university owns the stadium now. Not the city. So the University has full ownership and control. 1.5 miles from the main campus.

Huge for the future. Now just need the right dominos to fall in the Tigers favor.
03-21-2024 10:46 AM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

(03-21-2024 08:24 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

True, the overall form of the future facility will be similar to that of the current stadium — with a key exception being a replacement press box (that looks to be extremely nice).

However, the function of the stadium, once the work is finished, will be much improved (concourse, restrooms, concessions, etc.)

Compared to many football stadiums (and particularly those recently constructed), the modernist-era Liberty Bowl offers a very distinctive (even a bit quirky) shape. And with updated colors, lighting, landscaping, etc., it could look very inviting.

Time will tell.

I like the parabolic lines. They remind me of the first stadium the Tampa Bay Bucs played in.
03-21-2024 11:56 AM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(03-21-2024 11:56 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  

Time will tell.

I like the parabolic lines. They remind me of the first stadium the Tampa Bay Bucs played in.

it was the same designer...ours is concrete/rebar while Tampa's was metal I believe.
03-21-2024 12:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
Wish we had done this 20 years ago but this looks awesome.
03-21-2024 01:19 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
(03-21-2024 11:56 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  

Time will tell.

Yep, the old sombrero!
03-21-2024 01:24 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(03-21-2024 10:46 AM)Boots Wrote:  One big development over the last few months as part of this....the university owns the stadium now. Not the city. So the University has full ownership and control. 1.5 miles from the main campus.

Huge for the future. Now just need the right dominos to fall in the Tigers favor.

That is huge! No more paying rent. You get to keep all signage, all parking, all concessions, all ticket rev etc.

If it was only on campus, it would be perfect.
03-21-2024 02:03 PM
tigergatorcyclone Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Florida, Iowa State, Mem
(03-21-2024 02:03 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  
(03-21-2024 10:46 AM)Boots Wrote:  One big development over the last few months as part of this....the university owns the stadium now. Not the city. So the University has full ownership and control. 1.5 miles from the main campus.

That is huge! No more paying rent. You get to keep all signage, all parking, all concessions, all ticket rev etc.

If it was only on campus, it would be perfect.

Agreed!

We have 3,000 beds on campus right now and we have 600 kids on the waitlist for the dorms.

They are building (public-private partnership) apartment style dorms on South Campus where the Baseball Stadium, Softball Stadium, Track & Field, Soccer, and Football/Basketball training sites are housed. The hope is to move athletes to South Campus with their own library/study site, cafeteria etc. once those apartments are over.

With 3,500 - 4,000 kids on campus + Greek Life housing, that puts about 4,000 - 4,500 kids within two miles of the stadium.

Now that we own the stadium and it is technically a UofM campus, we can also do the branding throughout the stadium, including celebrating conference titles, bowl wins, all-Americans, etc. Excited for this!
03-21-2024 03:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.