Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC to cease sponsoring Men's Swimming and Diving
Bookmark and Share
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
MAC to cease sponsoring Men's Swimming and Diving
Ball State and Miami teams will become affiliate members of the MVC beginning with the 2024-25 season.

https://mvc-sports.com/news/2024/4/11/sw...24-25.aspx

https://ballstatesports.com/news/2024/4/...24-25.aspx

Although not confirmed yet, it would seem logical that UMass Men's Swimming and Diving would also become an affiliate member of the MVC beginning in 2025-26.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2024 06:07 PM by BeatWestern!.)
04-11-2024 05:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
RE: MAC to cease sponsoring Men's Swimming and Diving
Well, perhaps we apply to have those sports stay in the A10. Believe we have built up a good amount of goodwill. We are founding members and tried very hard to move just football for 8 years. We've been transparent and kept them in the loop on leaving. Definitely not guarantee, but very possible.
04-11-2024 06:09 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
The MVC has become quite the lifeline for schools exiled from defunct MAC sports.
04-11-2024 08:23 PM
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

(04-11-2024 06:09 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Well, perhaps we apply to have those sports stay in the A10. Believe we have built up a good amount of goodwill. We are founding members and tried very hard to move just football for 8 years. We've been transparent and kept them in the loop on leaving. Definitely not guarantee, but very possible.

The MAC has an excellent relationship with the MVC, so I would be very surprised if an arrangement hasn't already been made for UMass to be added as an affiliate in any sport the MVC sponsors that the MAC does not.
04-11-2024 08:38 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(04-11-2024 08:38 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  
(04-11-2024 06:09 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Well, perhaps we apply to have those sports stay in the A10. Believe we have built up a good amount of goodwill. We are founding members and tried very hard to move just football for 8 years. We've been transparent and kept them in the loop on leaving. Definitely not guarantee, but very possible.

The MAC has an excellent relationship with the MVC, so I would be very surprised if an arrangement hasn't already been made for UMass to be added as an affiliate in any sport the MVC sponsors that the MAC does not.

That's good to know, but think our AD will first try our luck in the A10. After all, even during the UMass - MAC Press conference, he paid homage to the A10 and commissioner Bernadette McGlade.

From the Dayton Daily News 4 days ago:
Quote:Q: What does the departure of Massachusetts, which is leaving the league after the 2024-25 season, for the Mid-American Conference mean for the A-10?

A: We’re certainly disappointed to see them go. But we’ve had very good open, transparent conversations and discussions with UMass for the last three or four years. I’m not going to say we felt this was inevitable, but knowing this profession as well as I know it, after being involved for the last 40 years, you know the the priority and the needing to get a home for Division I FBS football. It’s a monster, and sooner or later that decision is in the best interest of their overall institution with how football kind of tilts the scales to some degree. We wish them well. We didn’t want to see them go at the same time. I think the A-10 is in good shape. When they leave, we’re at 14. We’re still a big league. We have a huge footprint. We have great media partners that we just renewed for another good period of years. The championship’s in a good place. Everyone’s feeling pretty positive.

Q: Do you need to replace UMass? Can you stay at 14?

A: Fourteen is a solid number. I’m not saying we’ll always stay at 14. But there’s not a panic or any sense of urgency that we have to just run out (and add a school). We would only add new members if they bring value, if they fit the profile of the league, if they fit the culture, if they’re basketball centric. We will be very strategic in those decisions, and we will make them with good data and good input.
https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/a...BSE6655IM/
04-11-2024 09:03 PM
Advertisement

kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron

The MAC freely allowed Akron to join the Big East for soccer. I don't see them trying to roadblock anyone for a sport they don't sponsor.
04-11-2024 09:35 PM
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

(04-11-2024 09:03 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  

That's good to know, but think our AD will first try our luck in the A10. After all, even during the UMass - MAC Press conference, he paid homage to the A10 and commissioner Bernadette McGlade.

From the Dayton Daily News 4 days ago:
Quote:Q: What does the departure of Massachusetts, which is leaving the league after the 2024-25 season, for the Mid-American Conference mean for the A-10?

A: We’re certainly disappointed to see them go. But we’ve had very good open, transparent conversations and discussions with UMass for the last three or four years. I’m not going to say we felt this was inevitable, but knowing this profession as well as I know it, after being involved for the last 40 years, you know the the priority and the needing to get a home for Division I FBS football. It’s a monster, and sooner or later that decision is in the best interest of their overall institution with how football kind of tilts the scales to some degree. We wish them well. We didn’t want to see them go at the same time. I think the A-10 is in good shape. When they leave, we’re at 14. We’re still a big league. We have a huge footprint. We have great media partners that we just renewed for another good period of years. The championship’s in a good place. Everyone’s feeling pretty positive.

Q: Do you need to replace UMass? Can you stay at 14?

A: Fourteen is a solid number. I’m not saying we’ll always stay at 14. But there’s not a panic or any sense of urgency that we have to just run out (and add a school). We would only add new members if they bring value, if they fit the profile of the league, if they fit the culture, if they’re basketball centric. We will be very strategic in those decisions, and we will make them with good data and good input.
https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/a...BSE6655IM/

I don't disagree with you, Steve. What I'm saying is that UMass is now part of the MAC family and the conference will do all it can to help your athletic teams find a suitable home in sports not offered by the MAC.

IOW, it's highly unlikely that UMass will find itself in a similar situation to the University of Delaware, which just had to place its men's soccer program in The Summit League.
04-12-2024 07:31 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

Very happy to be part of the MAC family. It does not surprise me the MAC would help universities in unsponsored sports as they help teams with bowl expenses. Thumb up
04-12-2024 09:13 AM
e-parade Offline
All American

I'd agree that our first priority would be to try and keep the sports not sponsored in the MAC in the A10. No one has any hard feelings about UMass leaving, and it seems like for the most part they'd be happy to keep us around where possible.

If it's not possible for various reasons, then it's possible we follow suit to the MVC for a few things.
04-12-2024 10:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.