Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The immediate realignment pivot points
shizzle787 Online
1st String

I Root For: UConn
The immediate realignment pivot points
Though I think the P4 will stay put for a bit and the Big East may expand (but nothing is imminent), let's focus on the next likely realignment moves.

WKU to the MAC: This is not set in stone, but a very possible development. WKU wanted to leave CUSA a few years ago but MTSU killed the move. With UMass moving to the MAC, that league is at 13. If WKU wants to go, the MAC will be in.

Charleston to the A-10: This was a rumored move a year ago. Now with the departure of UMass and Charleston hiring a proven winner in Mack, I think it is a very likely move this spring.

CUSA going to 12 schools: Whether or not WKU leaves, CUSA will likely go to 12 members. The favorite seems to be Tarleton State. If WKU leaves, I expect the league to also add EKU.

CAA getting back to 14 members: With Delaware leaving, the league will likely want to get back to 14 members. Fairfield and High Point seem like the favorites.

NEC further expanding: The league has nine members as of July 1. There is a possibility they further expand. New Haven and Bentley seem like the favorites.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2024 09:59 AM by shizzle787.)
04-14-2024 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeatWestern! Online
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
RE: The immediate realignment pivot points
(04-14-2024 09:23 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Though I think the P4 will stay put for a bit and the Big East may expand (but nothing is imminent), let's focus on the next likely realignment moves.

WKU to the MAC: This is not set in stone, but a very possible development. WKU wanted to leave CUSA a few years ago but MTSU killed the move. With UMass moving to the MAC, that league is at 13. If WKU wants to go, the MAC will be in.

Charleston to the A-10: This was a rumored move a year ago. Now with the departure of UMass and Charleston hiring a proven winner in Mack, I think it is a very likely move this spring.

CUSA going to 12 schools: Whether or not WKU leaves, CUSA will likely go to 12 members. The favorite seems to be Tarleton State. If WKU leaves, I expect the league to also add EKU.

CAA getting back to 14 members: With Delaware leaving, the league will likely want to get back to 14 members. Fairfield and High Point seem like the favorites.

NEC further expanding: The league has nine members as of July 1. There is a possibility they further expand. New Haven and Bentley seem like the favorites.

“If we had been invited to join the MAC, we would have said yes. If we’re invited to join the MAC down the line, then I think the answer to that would probably be yes, because if it makes sense today, then I think it’s safe to assume it would make sense down the line." - WKU AD Todd Stewart to the Bowling Green (Ky.) Daily News, published Nov. 13, 2021

"I will get ready, and maybe, someday, the chance will come!" - Abraham Lincoln

https://twitter.com/MACSports/status/176...am-et.aspx
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2024 07:44 AM by BeatWestern!.)
04-14-2024 12:00 PM
andybible1995 Offline
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
(04-14-2024 09:23 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Though I think the P4 will stay put for a bit and the Big East may expand (but nothing is imminent), let's focus on the next likely realignment moves.

If WKU moves to the MAC and EKU and Tarleton State are brought in to fill the void, the UAC will have to call up D2 schools to replace them. West Florida and possibly Valdotsa State will be on the clock. Angelo State and West Texas A&M will also be on the clock as well.
04-14-2024 06:41 PM
BeatWestern! Online
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
(04-14-2024 06:41 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  

If WKU moves to the MAC and EKU and Tarleton State are brought in to fill the void, the UAC will have to call up D2 schools to replace them. West Florida and possibly Valdotsa State will be on the clock. Angelo State and West Texas A&M will also be on the clock as well.

CUSA also needs to prepare for the strong possibility of losing FIU to the AAC as a backfill for USF, should the Bulls move to the ACC as a replacement for FSU.
04-15-2024 07:59 AM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(04-15-2024 07:59 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  
(04-14-2024 06:41 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  

CUSA also needs to prepare for the strong possibility of losing FIU to the AAC as a backfill for USF, should the Bulls move to the ACC as a replacement for FSU.

It might hurt our media deals to lose the Miami market (err, "market") but this possibility is a strong argument for staying at 11. CUSA minus FIU would be a nice 10.
04-15-2024 09:16 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC

My take is that WKU "needs" (to an extent) MTSU if it wants to move to the MAC, as MTSU (and Nashville in general) are bridges of sorts for WKU into the Deep South. WKU football typically has far more players from states in the South than from states in the North.

Of course, this does not mean WKU won't eventually head to the MAC.
04-15-2024 12:50 PM
Advertisement

andybible1995 Offline
All American

(04-15-2024 12:50 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

My take is that WKU "needs" (to an extent) MTSU if it wants to move to the MAC, as MTSU (and Nashville in general) are bridges of sorts for WKU into the Deep South. WKU football typically has far more players from states in the South than from states in the North.

Of course, this does not mean WKU won't eventually head to the MAC.

Both MTSU and WKU are in a position where if one goes, the other will follow. MTSU wants to be Memphis's replacement in the AAC. If that opportunity comes, don't be surprised if MTSU tries to convince WKU to come along.
04-15-2024 03:00 PM
mainejeff Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Maine
America East moves from 9 to 10 members by adding......?
04-16-2024 05:08 AM
Yosef181 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
(04-14-2024 12:00 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  “If we had been invited to join the MAC, we would have said yes. If we’re invited to join the MAC down the line, then I think the answer to that would probably be yes, because if it makes sense today, then I think it’s safe to assume it would make sense down the line." - WKU AD Todd Stewart to the Bowling Green (Ky.) Daily News, published Nov. 13, 2021

You seem to be a good source for MAC info, so I'm curious: are you hearing any update on WKU's future?

The last I heard, they were still thinking about MAC vs. CUSA, but they've been thinking about it forever.
04-16-2024 07:01 AM
bill dazzle Offline

(04-16-2024 07:01 AM)Yosef181 Wrote:  
(04-14-2024 12:00 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  “If we had been invited to join the MAC, we would have said yes. If we’re invited to join the MAC down the line, then I think the answer to that would probably be yes, because if it makes sense today, then I think it’s safe to assume it would make sense down the line." - WKU AD Todd Stewart to the Bowling Green (Ky.) Daily News, published Nov. 13, 2021

You seem to be a good source for MAC info, so I'm curious: are you hearing any update on WKU's future?

The last I heard, they were still thinking about MAC vs. CUSA, but they've been thinking about it forever.

As a member of the Nashville media with some indirect connections to WKU sports, I have heard nothing about talks between WKU and the MAC. That's not to say such talks are not happening.

WKU is better suited overall (culturally, geographically and rivalries, in particular) for C-USA than the MAC.

I don't anticipate WKU leaving. But who knows?
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2024 12:00 PM by bill dazzle.)
04-16-2024 12:00 PM
andybible1995 Offline
All American

(04-16-2024 12:00 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

As a member of the Nashville media with some indirect connections to WKU sports, I have heard nothing about talks between WKU and the MAC. That's not to say such talks are not happening.

WKU is better suited overall (culturally, geographically and rivalries, in particular) for C-USA than the MAC.

I agree on the C-USA being the better fit for WKU than the MAC. I would take it a step further and say why settle for the MAC when you can pair up with MTSU for a possible move the AAC in the future if that conference gets raided again.
04-16-2024 01:40 PM
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-14-2024 09:23 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  CUSA going to 12 schools: Whether or not WKU leaves, CUSA will likely go to 12 members. The favorite seems to be Tarleton State. If WKU leaves, I expect the league to also add EKU.

Rather than Missouri State?

Huh. Some Conference USA fans speak often of Missouri State.

If Western Kentucky leaves, I wonder if the conference would be better off standing pat at 10.

Well, UMass announced it would be joining the MAC around Feb. 26. So, it hasn't been terribly long, really.

I'm no expert in these things, but even if the MAC and key WKU officials had a quiet understanding before UMass announced, I would guess there are more details to work through and more people to bring into the deliberations on how best to proceed before the university would be ready to announce anything.
04-16-2024 08:59 PM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(04-16-2024 01:40 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  

I agree on the C-USA being the better fit for WKU than the MAC. I would take it a step further and say why settle for the MAC when you can pair up with MTSU for a possible move the AAC in the future if that conference gets raided again.

WKU doesn't fit the Market model that the AAC covets, so I doubt they get in. It's not impossible, but just like Marshall and App State, WKU doesn't fit the AAC market first approach (sorry you're the odd man out ECU). And there's nothing wrong with that.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2024 06:24 AM by GreenBison.)
04-17-2024 06:23 AM
bill dazzle Offline

That's one way of approaching it. I can see that.
04-17-2024 09:08 AM
bill dazzle Offline

(04-17-2024 06:23 AM)GreenBison Wrote:  

WKU doesn't fit the Market model that the AAC covets, so I doubt they get in. It's not impossible, but just like Marshall and App State, WKU doesn't fit the AAC market first approach (sorry you're the odd man out ECU). And there's nothing wrong with that.

Depending on how many (if any) members the AAC loses, the league may have no choice but to abandon its previous approach of focusing on schools located in large cities. Of course, if the AAC loses, say, four members, it will have been so wounded that it might not be very attractive to those schools with a chance to join the league — thus making any AAC model rather moot.
04-17-2024 09:10 AM
8993 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
(04-17-2024 09:10 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(04-16-2024 07:01 AM)Yosef181 Wrote:  You seem to be a good source for MAC info, so I'm curious: are you hearing any update on WKU's future?

Depending on how many (if any) members the AAC loses, the league may have no choice but to abandon its previous approach of focusing on schools located in large cities. Of course, if the AAC loses, say, four members, it will have been so wounded that it might not be very attractive to those schools with a chance to join the league — thus making any AAC model rather moot.

This might be a hot take, but I see jumping to the MAC or staying in CUSA as a better option than jumping to the AAC for WKU.

I know money is the biggest factor in any and all conversations regarding college athletics, but one of the primary things I heard frequently from CUSA 3.0 members (Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Rice, UTEP, FIU, FAU, MTSU, WKU, UNT, ODU, UTSA, UAB, Charlotte) was that the conference lacked an identity and traditional rivalries. Why jump back into a conference with those very programs?

This isn't a knock on any of those programs in particular, but the AAC is now CUSA 3.5 and it still doesn't have the identity and traditional rivalries. If I were in WKU's shoes, I'd either stick it out in CUSA and develop those rivalries and hope for more money, jump ship to the MAC to try a new culture altogether, or wait to see if a spot opens up in the SBC where you can build those traditional rivalries back up. At the end of the day, the money of the AAC would be too nice to say no to, but still, I'm just not sure I see what the other upside is here for WKU. Additionally, they don't fit the AAC culture, so that's just an odd next step.
04-17-2024 09:41 AM
Advertisement

freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU

WKU seems to be in a holding pattern for now. CUSA money is still pretty solid at the moment from all the exit and entrance fees, on top of NCAA credits and Access Bowl money. I think the ACC murkiness will need to settle before we commit to moving anywhere (we aren't an ACC backfill by any stretch, but the trickle down effect might open doors).

CUSA going to 12 will likely still happen, but it is Missouri State's spot at the moment. If they haven't budged by the end of Summer then staying at 11 might be the move for now.
04-17-2024 10:03 AM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
I think WKU should stay in CUSA and they should add Missouri St. if it makes financial sense. MAC should find another school in the Northeast to pair with UMass like Stony Brook or something or look west at like Illinois St. if they are determined to get to 14.
04-17-2024 10:09 AM
bill dazzle Offline

(04-17-2024 09:41 AM)8993 Wrote:  
(04-16-2024 12:00 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  As a member of the Nashville media with some indirect connections to WKU sports, I have heard nothing about talks between WKU and the MAC. That's not to say such talks are not happening.

This might be a hot take, but I see jumping to the MAC or staying in CUSA as a better option than jumping to the AAC for WKU.

I know money is the biggest factor in any and all conversations regarding college athletics, but one of the primary things I heard frequently from CUSA 3.0 members (Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Rice, UTEP, FIU, FAU, MTSU, WKU, UNT, ODU, UTSA, UAB, Charlotte) was that the conference lacked an identity and traditional rivalries. Why jump back into a conference with those very programs?

This isn't a knock on any of those programs in particular, but the AAC is now CUSA 3.5 and it still doesn't have the identity and traditional rivalries. If I were in WKU's shoes, I'd either stick it out in CUSA and develop those rivalries and hope for more money, jump ship to the MAC to try a new culture altogether, or wait to see if a spot opens up in the SBC where you can build those traditional rivalries back up. At the end of the day, the money of the AAC would be too nice to say no to, but still, I'm just not sure I see what the other upside is here for WKU. Additionally, they don't fit the AAC culture, so that's just an odd next step.

The AAC "identity" (if it has one) is derived from the league's members offering urban locations and a balance of football and men's basketball. But that "AAC identity" is modest at best (and, yes, the rivalries are lacking, notwithstanding Army vs. Navy in football).

The reason WKU would be interested in joining the AAC is to share a league (for the first time in school history) with "basketball-first schools" Wichita, Tulsa, Memphis and Temple and to be aligned in football with Army and Navy. Western offers a strong men's hoops history. And though C-USA has some programs with very solid traditions (like New Mexico State and UTEP), I would think WKU would prefer the AAC for basketball purposes. Maybe I'm wrong.
04-17-2024 11:28 AM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(04-16-2024 07:01 AM)Yosef181 Wrote:  You seem to be a good source for MAC info, so I'm curious: are you hearing any update on WKU's future?

If the AAC loses Memphis, Tulane and USF, then I don't see the upside. AAC will get a haircut for sure.
04-17-2024 11:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.