CSNbbs
Best Defender in the ACC? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Best Defender in the ACC? (/thread-20801.html)

Pages: 1 2

- hoops13 - 02-08-2003 08:27 PM

We are half-way through the ACC season. Who gets your vote for ACC Defensive Player of the Year, based on their ACC defensive performances this year ?

- nate jonesacc - 02-08-2003 08:40 PM

Dahntay Jones... shut down or contained the following: Josh Howard, Rashad McCants, Tim Pickett, Chey Christie, Smith on UVA.

Jackie Manuel did an outstanding job on JJ Redick, holding him to 17 points!

- nate jonesacc - 02-08-2003 08:41 PM

Or wait? Didn't Jackie also guard Dahntay? Oh yeah, he contained him to 23 points! :laugh:

- hoops13 - 02-08-2003 08:44 PM

I am not going to pretend that Melvin Scott can defend JJ Redick. He can't and he didn't.

<!--EDIT|hoops13|Feb 8 2003, 08:50 PM-->

- nate jonesacc - 02-08-2003 09:19 PM

Hoops... I was at the game. Jackie Manuel guarded JJ almost every single second that both were on the floor. When JJ and Scott were on the floor, and Manuel wasn't, then Melvin Scott guarded him. But when it was Manuel and Redick, Manuel ALWAYS guarded JJ. When JJ wasn't on the floor, and Manuel was, Manuel guarded Jones.

BTW, McCants, 1-8 from the floor, 4 fouls, 5 turnovers, 2 points and guarded by Dahntay Jones.

- nate jonesacc - 02-08-2003 09:30 PM

But Jackie Manuel is a great defender. Besides the following, he is GREAT:

Getting 32 dropped on him by Josh Howard.
Getting 30 dropped on him by Julius Hodge.
Getting 20 dropped on him by Drew Nicholas.
Getting 17 dropped on him by JJ Redick.
Getting 19 dropped on him by BJ Elder.

- hoops13 - 02-08-2003 10:38 PM

Nate, I don't care if you were at the game or not. I watched it. TV has this new technology called replays, zoom ins, etc. which you didn't have access to while seeing the game at Duke in person. I can tell you that Scott is the primary reason Redick got so many points. On the other hand, limiting your man to few points doesn't make a great defender. With the type of defense we run at UNC called "help-defense." In the half-court man to man, we play aggressive, denial defense with what is called "help and support". In this type of defense, it is vital that each player knows their slides, much like a zone. When a player takes it to the hoop, someone steps over to stop him. Often times Manuel was stepping over to prevent a layup, and on the kickout Duke was hitting shots. I prefer to force a team to knock down a jump rather than give up an and-1 layup anyday. Often times Jackie was helping out, and Redick was knocking down the shots. Which brings me to my point about Scott. Duhon can and did take Melvin off the dribble, so Manuel had to make the slide. Side note: Redick had 4 turnovers to only 1 assist.

- nate jonesacc - 02-08-2003 10:58 PM

Hoops, Duke has run man-to-man help defense for as long as I can remember. I know how it works. I also know that Dahntay has the same duties in Duke's defense as Manuel does, yet he STILL shuts down very good offensive players.

Will you now please refute the stats I gave you up there?

- JoltinJacket - 02-09-2003 12:14 AM

Houston, hello? Write-in vote for BJ Elder. The kid can flat out defend the best that Tech's opponents have to offer. Check it out:

Against Georgia, he held Rashad Wright to 5 pts (1/5 FG).
At Maryland, he held Steve Blake to 7 pts (2/7 FG).
Against NC State, he held Julius Hodge to 9 pts (1/6 FG) and 4 turnovers.
Against FSU, Tim Pickett went 5/16 from the floor and turned it over 4 times.

And maybe the best two, He held JJ Redick to 2/10 shooting and Rashad McCants to 5/18.

- georgia_tech_swagger - 02-09-2003 12:40 AM

Adding my write-in ballot for BJ Elder.

- The Peoples Champion - 02-09-2003 01:16 AM

Quote:BTW, McCants, 1-8 from the floor, 4 fouls, 5 turnovers, 2 points and guarded by Dahntay Jones.

As per <a href='http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/ncaa/invision/index.php?act=ST&f=15&t=5818&s=383febabadc5e456ab9b625f0659e103' target='_blank'>http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/ncaa/invisio...b9b625f0659e103</a> :

Rashad - 19 minutes on a bad back (if what the commentators said was true)
Dahntay- 39 minutes.

If you must wear the goggles, at least tell the whole story.

<!--EDIT|The Peoples Champion|Feb 9 2003, 01:24 AM-->

- techfan4 - 02-09-2003 09:24 AM

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:Adding my write-in ballot for BJ Elder.
Likewise

- nate jonesacc - 02-09-2003 11:53 AM

TPC... why do you think McCants only played 19 minutes? Sure part of it was his back, but a lot of it was probably because Doh! knew that McCants couldn't score on Dahntay.

And I wanna know how the back thing works... Rival fans always ***** about how Coach K's back wasn't hurt, he just faked it. Well... was McCants faking?

- nate jonesacc - 02-09-2003 12:20 PM

If BJ Elder guarded Steve Blake, then who did Jarrett Jack guard? I didn't see the game, but wouldn't it have made more sense for BJ Elder to guard Drew Nicholas?

And Josh Howard dropped 30 on BJ Elder, and Dahntay Jones dropped 21 on him.

Georgia is the SEC, so it doesn't count.

- The Peoples Champion - 02-09-2003 12:25 PM

nate jonesacc Wrote:TPC... why do you think McCants only played 19 minutes? Sure part of it was his back, but a lot of it was probably because Doh! knew that McCants couldn't score on Dahntay.
Quote:TPC... why do you think McCants only played 19 minutes? Sure part of it was his back, but a lot of it was probably because Doh! knew that McCants couldn't score on Dahntay.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Where do i start?

If i were a coach, I would be more worried that my star player hurts his back, than whether he could hold his own against some player. If anything, that only had a slight effect on doh keeping him out of the game.

But then again, maybe doh kept him out because he knew that dahntay would go thug life on him, if he played for too long. :laugh:

Quote:And I wanna know how the back thing works... Rival fans always ***** about how Coach K's back wasn't hurt, he just faked it. Well... was McCants faking?

1) I've never said anything about K's back. If K says that he has an injured back, i'd give him the benefit of the doubt, because he's too classy to lie.

2) comparing a coach to a player on terms of injury really isn't fair.

- nate jonesacc - 02-09-2003 01:18 PM

Listen... before the game, McCants was perfectly fine. He was even throwing down DUNKS! Does a person with a terrible back throw down the kind of dunks he was throwing down? No... McCants looked fine until he started turning it over time after time and missing shot after shot. Then the grimaces of pain came. In basketball, at least, if you can play that hard as he did in the first half, and throw down reverse dunks in the warmups, your back can't be hurting that bad.

And about Coach K... it's all in the logic. UNC fans especially harp on Coach K "hurting his back" because he knew the team wasn't that good. What about McCants? He knew he wasn't playing well, and so he blamed it on his back. See... it works both ways.

- JD Heel - 02-09-2003 03:05 PM

nate jonesacc Wrote:And about Coach K... it's all in the logic. UNC fans especially harp on Coach K "hurting his back" because he knew the team wasn't that good. What about McCants? He knew he wasn't playing well, and so he blamed it on his back. See... it works both ways.
But that's not what you're doing, Nate. You want it to work in the way that you get to say that McCants was faking but K was not. I will be glad to dismiss McCants' "injury" if you will dismiss K's. Or, vice versa.

Truth is, McCants is having back pain and struggling on the floor right now. It's possible for both to be the case -- they aren't mutually exclusive.

-JD

- nate jonesacc - 02-09-2003 03:09 PM

JD Heel Wrote:
nate jonesacc Wrote:And about Coach K... it's all in the logic. UNC fans especially harp on Coach K "hurting his back" because he knew the team wasn't that good. What about McCants? He knew he wasn't playing well, and so he blamed it on his back. See... it works both ways.
But that's not what you're doing, Nate. You want it to work in the way that you get to say that McCants was faking but K was not. I will be glad to dismiss McCants' "injury" if you will dismiss K's. Or, vice versa.

Truth is, McCants is having back pain and struggling on the floor right now. It's possible for both to be the case -- they aren't mutually exclusive.

-JD
What I think is that Coach K had a more serious back/hip problem, that kept him out. McCants has probably had some soreness, but it's probably nothing that people should be blaming sorry performances on. If it was as bad as some Holes want it to be, he wouldn't even be playing 20 mins/game.

- georgia_tech_swagger - 02-09-2003 03:22 PM

Elder just held Blake to 12 pts on 5 of 12, 2 of 7 from 3. Did I mention Blake was virtually silent all first half?

- Jenibu - 02-09-2003 04:09 PM

Blake still scored in double figures and had 8 assists, may I remind you. Sorry, but I am unable to complement an opposing player because I am completely BIASED. :D

BTW, Juan Dixon is the best defender in the ACC. 03-wink 03-razz 04-bow

Realistically, I don't know who I'd pick right now...it would've been someone from MD before these past 2 games, but our defense has been horrid lately so I don't know...