CSNbbs
Ken Burns: The Civil War - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+---- Thread: Ken Burns: The Civil War (/thread-228531.html)

- p5mmr9 - 09-26-2002 09:31 PM

This was on PBS all week. What a great set of films.

I often wonder how different our country would be if a) Lincoln had not been assassinated or b) the South had won.

While the American war for independence began with the Stamp Tax and ended at Yorktown, the American Revolution began with the Declaration of Independence and ended at Appomattox Courthouse

- soonerterp - 09-26-2002 11:44 PM

I sorta shudder to think about where the US might be had the Confederacy won the war.

Abraham Lincoln, or so I read, had he not been assassinated, may have only lived another six months or otherwise less than a year due to some then-undiagnosed serious illness. I do not remember where I read that, nor do I remember if it was discovered in post mortem examination. Given that, I'm not really sure if history as we know it would have been greatly altered that much.

About the film itself, I still think The Civil War is Ken Burns' best work. I liked his series about baseball only to a point -- it was sooooo much hyperromanticized dreck that after a while it was impossible to navigate through all the goo. He certainly did dig up some GREAT archival footage of the likes of Christy Mathewson, Ty Cobb, and other pre-1920s players that are very fascinating to look at. I did not get to see all his series about jazz.

--soonerterp.

- SilverSpring_JuniorTerp - 09-27-2002 11:18 AM

I watched it on Sunday and Monday -- Good stuff.