CSNbbs
Mid-major basketball programs making noise on the recruiting trail - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+---- Thread: Mid-major basketball programs making noise on the recruiting trail (/thread-453321.html)

Mid-major basketball programs making noise on the recruiting trail - EPJr - 09-17-2010 09:51 PM

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/E0J1T8EZEd-YiQAcxJSkrA/mid-major-basketball-programs-making-noise-on-the-recruiting-trail.htm

DELAWARE
Verbal commitments: Larry Savage, Marvin King-Davis, Kaleed Lewis-El, Jarvis Threatt
Analysis: Coming off a 7-24 season in 2009-10, Delaware is a surprise in this category but keep an eye on head coach Monte Ross and the Blue Hens in the Colonial Athletic Association. Whatever Ross is selling, recruits are buying.

"When I first started talking to Delaware I wasn't going to rule it out but I knew the basketball team wasn't really that good," said Threatt, who officially visited the campus last week. "But after seeing the team and meeting the coaching staff, I said, 'I could see myself playing here.'

"Coach Ross was a big part of it. When you see the head coach at the AAU games, that means a lot. He preached to me that he would look out for me on and off the floor. He sold it to me well."

In addition to Threatt, a clutch and competitive 6-1 point guard from Highland Springs (Va.), the Blue Hens will add backcourt help from Lewis-El, a standout at defending New Jersey state champion Trenton Catholic Academy.

Savage is an undersized forward playing in a prestigious high school program at Bishop O'Connell (Arlington, Va.) that Threatt describes as a "workhorse."

VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH
Verbal commitments: Treveon Graham, Pierria Henry, Briante Weber
Analysis: With an intriguing freshman class already on campus including Ohio guard Rob Brandenberg, California 7-footer D.J. Haley and 6-9 Juvonte Reddic, head coach Shaka Smart could really solidify his program with another solid recruiting effort.

Early indications point to that happening. Henry had a great junior season at South Charleston (W.Va.) and surprised many by not waiting around for major-conference offers.

The biggest development for VCU came Monday when McDonogh 35 (New Orleans) super-sleeper Jernard Jarreau pledged to the Rams. At 6-10, Jarreau can handle the basketball on the perimeter and has a confident stroke from beyond the 3-point line. Since making the commitment reports say he will keep his options open with Virginia Commonwealth as the leader.