CSNbbs
Congratulations Dan Hoard - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Congratulations Dan Hoard (/thread-495890.html)

Pages: 1 2

Congratulations Dan Hoard - SuperFlyBCat - 05-04-2011 03:56 PM

Bengals Blog
Radio change: Hoard takes over on play-by-play

There will be a new play-by-play voice on radio for Bengals games. However it will be one familiar to area fans.

Dan Hoard becomes the sixth play-by-play announcer in the club history. He replaces Brad Johansen who has called the games with Dave Lapham for the past 11 seasons. The club did not comment on a reason for the change.

There had been rumblings of a possible change for a couple months. Most are still surprised though because of the energy and rapport that Johansen and Lapham have in the booth. The one frequent comment was “why tinker with a good thing?”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/05/04/radio-change-hoard-takes-over-on-play-by-play/

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - bearcatfan - 05-04-2011 03:59 PM

Congrats to Dan. He will do a great job.

But will he be able to continue doing UC games?

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - rath v2.0 - 05-04-2011 04:00 PM

Good for Dan. But what is the surprise here? Johansen said goodbye in the last boradcast and for a year has been telling everyone he knows that he was done.

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - UCBearcat4ever - 05-04-2011 04:04 PM

(05-04-2011 03:59 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Congrats to Dan. He will do a great job.

But will he be able to continue doing UC games?

yes, sounds like he will continue broadcasting UC Games, per the enquirer article and a couple of tweets

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - QSECOFR - 05-04-2011 04:23 PM

Congrats, Dan! Well deserved!

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - ctipton - 05-04-2011 04:28 PM

Radio change: Hoard takes over on play-by-play
by jreedy

There will be a new play-by-play voice on radio for Bengals games. However it will be one familiar to area fans.

Dan Hoard becomes the sixth play-by-play announcer in the club history. He replaces Brad Johansen who has called the games with Dave Lapham for the past 11 seasons. The club did not comment on a reason for the change.

There had been rumblings of a possible change for a couple months. Most are still surprised though because of the energy and rapport that Johansen and Lapham have in the booth. The one frequent comment was “why tinker with a good thing?”

[Image: Hoard-150x150.jpg]
Hoard

However, if a change had to be made, we’re happy that they went with Hoard, who did play-by-play for the three preseason games on television that were produced by the Bengals. Hoard moved into that role after Keels couldn’t do it any longer due to Reds telecasts on Fox Sports Ohio. There is a possibility that Keels could return this year (if there is a preseason) since the Reds stint lasted only one season. Hoard was the sports director at Channel 19 from 1995-2006. He left that spring to become the announcer for the Pawtucket Red Sox. This will be Hoard’s sixth and final season calling games for the Red Sox Class AAA affiliate.

Said Hoard, who had a rare off day with the PawSox not playing: “I never thought an NFL job was remotely possible. When you’re a AAA announcer your path (becoming a Major League Baseball announcer) is pretty clear.”

Even with doing the PawSox games, Hoard has continued to serve as the radio voice of UC football and basketball. He served as UC’s radio voice in 1996 and handled the play-by-play on the television football and basketball telecasts from 1996-2000. He took over the radio play-by-play duties for good in 2000.

[Image: BradJo-150x150.jpg]
Johansen

Lapham, who will be entering his 26th season as analyst, has worked with all the play-by-by voices – Phil Samp, Ken Broo, Paul Keels, Pete Arbogast and Johansen.

Besides doing Bengals radio, Hoard will host the Bengals Weekly with Marvin Lewis television show, which airs on Sunday’s, along with some video features for the team’s web site. He also becomes one of four announcers who have busy fall weekends, calling college football on Saturday and the NFL on Sunday. Bill Hillgrove, the dean of AFC North announcers, took over on Steelers broadcasts since 1994 and has called Pitt games since 1970.

“I think it sounds pretty daunting until you realize that I do 144 baseball games in 151 days,” Hoard said.”There’s a lot of homework required to do it well but that’s part of the job. Anyone who does the play-by-play enjoys the homework. ”

Johansen said he has been asked by the team to do the preseason game on television and that he will mulling over the decision in the coming weeks.

“I am extremely grateful for Mike Brown and the Bengals giving me the opportunity of a lifetime,” Johansen said. “It was what I always wanted to do and I will be forever grateful.”

As for where you can listen to the games, Clear Channel remains the favorite but details have not been finalized. Like the Reds did a couple years ago though, the Bengals are taking advertising sales and production of the games in house.

https://www.google.com/reader/view/?tab=my#stream/feed%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fcincinnati.com%2Fblogs%2Fbengals%2Ffeed%2F

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - cinbinsportsfan - 05-04-2011 04:31 PM

I guess this is cool. He's no Paul Keels though. Man, that's guy's sports insight and excitement could light up a room.

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - ctipton - 05-04-2011 04:34 PM

(05-04-2011 04:31 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  I guess this is cool. He's no Paul Keels though. Man, that's guy's sports insight and excitement could light up a room.

Paul Keels excitement = 03-puke

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - DelhiBearcat - 05-04-2011 04:34 PM

Even when it comes to play by play announcers, UC's always an upgrade over X.

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - DelhiBearcat - 05-04-2011 04:36 PM

(05-04-2011 04:34 PM)ctipton Wrote:  
(05-04-2011 04:31 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  I guess this is cool. He's no Paul Keels though. Man, that's guy's sports insight and excitement could light up a room.

He had to be kidding.

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - Coopdaddy67 - 05-04-2011 04:37 PM

Best news ever! I would listen to Mr. Hoard do the play-by-play of grass growing. 04-rock

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - cinbinsportsfan - 05-04-2011 04:37 PM

(05-04-2011 04:36 PM)DelhiBearcat Wrote:  
(05-04-2011 04:34 PM)ctipton Wrote:  

He had to be kidding.

Pfft. Me? Kidding? No way. Nothing better than falling asleep to Paul Keels announcing a home run.

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - DelhiBearcat - 05-04-2011 04:43 PM

Just me, but I always enjoyed watching the Bengal Pre-Season games where 10 times a game he announces the wrong guy.

"Handoff to Benson...make that Scott"

"Ochocinco downfield for the 1st Down...Excuse me, that's Jerome Simpson"

It's fun because right after you point out how he does it to someone you're watching with, he'll give multiple examples.

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - Bearcat04 - 05-04-2011 04:51 PM

Congrats to Dan!

Maybe he can bring some luck to the Bengals.

Speaking of Keels. Last year on a flyball to CF he said the catch was made by Stubbs, then Heisey, before finally settling on Nix making the catch.

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - SuperFlyBCat - 05-04-2011 05:18 PM

(05-04-2011 04:51 PM)Bearcat04 Wrote:  Congrats to Dan!

Maybe he can bring some luck to the Bengals.

Speaking of Keels. Last year on a flyball to CF he said the catch was made by Stubbs, then Heisey, before finally settling on Nix making the catch.

03-lmfao

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - Kenyon#4 - 05-04-2011 05:55 PM

Good for Dan, I don't know why he wasn't given more consideration for the Reds job, he should have been.

The downside of this for him, now he's going to have to watch Bengals games. I hope they are paying him a lot of money to suffer through that disaster.

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - JackieTreehorn - 05-04-2011 06:03 PM

Never been a big fan of Keels since he dissed UC for tO$U. Just hope Hoard keeps doing UC games. Can't imagine anyone else working with Chuck after all these years.

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - CincyBro - 05-04-2011 06:09 PM

Congrats to Dan, would rather listen to him than any other announcer doing any other sport.04-rock04-rock04-rock

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - ctipton - 05-04-2011 06:14 PM

(05-04-2011 06:09 PM)CincyBro Wrote:  Congrats to Dan, would rather listen to him than any other announcer doing any other sport.04-rock04-rock04-rock

I enjoy Dan, and I would not want to piss on Dan's parade, but I would rather listen to Marty and Joe than any other commentator/announcer out there.

RE: Congratulations Dan Hoard - BearChatter v2.0 - 05-04-2011 06:59 PM

Dan Hoard is my favorite pbp announcer.

Was upset when he didn't get Reds job.

Hopefully some day he is doing Reds, Bengals, and UC broadcasts..........and probably making a ton of money. LOL.