CSNbbs
Poet and we di'int know it - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Poet and we di'int know it (/thread-496706.html)

Pages: 1 2

Poet and we di'int know it - rath v2.0 - 05-12-2011 07:40 AM

New poet laureates? Perfect.

Quote:The White House on Wednesday defended the decision to invite the hip-hop artist Common to a celebration of poetry hosted by President Obama and his wife, Michelle, saying they disavow some of the rapper’s controversial lyrics.

“He’s spoken very forcefully out against violent and misogynist lyrics,” press secretary Jay Carney told reporters, adding that Mr. Obama has strong support for the nation’s law enforcement.

Most of the controversy centers on “A Song for Assata,” in which Common celebrated a former Black Panther who was convicted of killing a New Jersey state trooper with lyrics such as “May God bless your soul."

“Flyer say Free Mumia on my freezer,” he raps in another. Mumia Abu-Jamal is an incarcerated former member of the Black Panther Party who was convicted in 1981 for killing a Philadelphia police officer. Agitating for his release from prison has become a cause for many leftwing activists.

Common named his daughter after Assata Shakur, a Black Panther who was convicted of first-degree murder 1977. She escaped from prison and exiled to Cuba. The FBI recognizes her as a domestic terrorist.

Common has also been a vocal opponent of mixed race relationships and believes black men and white women should not date.

Jill Scott being there is well is about as funny. Love her recent commentary about not digging the fact that black men are dating white girls.

Oh, brother would the leftist media have a heyday with this if the guy in office had a different capital letter of the alphabet in parenthesis next to his or her name...

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - AZBCAT - 05-12-2011 01:52 PM

Nothing screams "scared old white conservatives" more than this nontroversy. Glad someone finally posted on it and outted themselves as such. It's almost embarrassing to watch.

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - chicago bearcat - 05-12-2011 01:54 PM

(05-12-2011 01:52 PM)AZBCAT Wrote:  Nothing screams "scared old white conservatives" more than this nontroversy. Glad someone finally posted on it and outted themselves as such. It's almost embarrassing to watch.

Truly embarrassing. Funniest thing was hearing someone call Common a thug rapper. Common is about as far from a thug rapper as is humanly possible.

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - AZBCAT - 05-12-2011 01:58 PM

(05-12-2011 01:54 PM)chicago bearcat Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 01:52 PM)AZBCAT Wrote:  Nothing screams "scared old white conservatives" more than this nontroversy. Glad someone finally posted on it and outted themselves as such. It's almost embarrassing to watch.

Truly embarrassing. Funniest thing was hearing someone call Common a thug rapper. Common is about as far from a thug rapper as is humanly possible.

If you didn't see the Daily Show segment last night on it, you're missing out.

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - chicago bearcat - 05-12-2011 02:02 PM

(05-12-2011 01:58 PM)AZBCAT Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 01:54 PM)chicago bearcat Wrote:  

If you didn't see the Daily Show segment last night on it, you're missing out.

I didnt see that Ill make sure to check it out

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - rath v2.0 - 05-12-2011 02:15 PM

Outed? Funny. I bought my first release by him in 2004. I can sing along. You?

Doesn't mean I'm inviting him to my kids school to talk about poetry and racial harmony.

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - SuperFlyBCat - 05-12-2011 02:15 PM

(05-12-2011 07:40 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  New poet laureates? Perfect.

Quote:The White House on Wednesday defended the decision to invite the hip-hop artist Common to a celebration of poetry hosted by President Obama and his wife, Michelle, saying they disavow some of the rapper’s controversial lyrics.

“He’s spoken very forcefully out against violent and misogynist lyrics,” press secretary Jay Carney told reporters, adding that Mr. Obama has strong support for the nation’s law enforcement.

Most of the controversy centers on “A Song for Assata,” in which Common celebrated a former Black Panther who was convicted of killing a New Jersey state trooper with lyrics such as “May God bless your soul."

“Flyer say Free Mumia on my freezer,” he raps in another. Mumia Abu-Jamal is an incarcerated former member of the Black Panther Party who was convicted in 1981 for killing a Philadelphia police officer. Agitating for his release from prison has become a cause for many leftwing activists.

Common named his daughter after Assata Shakur, a Black Panther who was convicted of first-degree murder 1977. She escaped from prison and exiled to Cuba. The FBI recognizes her as a domestic terrorist.

Common has also been a vocal opponent of mixed race relationships and believes black men and white women should not date.

Jill Scott being there is well is about as funny. Love her recent commentary about not digging the fact that black men are dating white girls.

Oh, brother would the leftist media have a heyday with this if the guy in office had a different capital letter of the alphabet in parenthesis next to his or her name...

Jill Scott must not like Obama, considering him mamma was white, but Dad was an actual African.

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - chicago bearcat - 05-12-2011 02:25 PM

(05-12-2011 02:15 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Outed? Funny. I bought my first release by him in 2004. I can sing along. You?

Doesn't mean I'm inviting him to my kids school to talk about poetry and racial harmony.

I cant wait to see Common and Rathbo in concert together

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - AZBCAT - 05-12-2011 02:47 PM

(05-12-2011 02:15 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Outed? Funny. I bought my first release by him in 2004. I can sing along. You?

Hahaha. Yeah right Rath. Nice try. Did you look him up on Wiki?

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - rath v2.0 - 05-12-2011 03:33 PM

b's got my back on my musical tastes. Few others on here do as well. What can I say? I'm a bit of a Renaissance Man.

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - AZBCAT - 05-12-2011 11:02 PM

(05-12-2011 03:33 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  b's got my back on my musical tastes. Few others on here do as well. What can I say? I'm a bit of a Renaissance Man.

Renaissance Man? It sounds like you support the Black Panthers, want to kill cops, are a misogynist, love Jeremiah Wright, etc. You did buy his album after all and sound like a long time supporter of him - and therefore are promoting everything he has ever said (at least according to Hannity and the meme you are promoting by posting this).

Of course, I'm not SAYING you are any of these things. I'm just asking the serious questions that need to be asked... Is Rath a member of the Black Panthers? Does Rath hate white people?

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - subflea - 05-13-2011 09:01 AM

(05-12-2011 02:47 PM)AZBCAT Wrote:  

Hahaha. Yeah right Rath. Nice try. Did you look him up on Wiki?

Trust me, Rath probably does have Common in his CD collection. When it comes to music Rath has wide ranging tastes.

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - mlb - 05-13-2011 09:19 AM

I think that Jon Stewart's response to this is best...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/12/jon-stewart-fox-news-common-outrage_n_860956.html

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - Overrated - 05-13-2011 09:36 AM

I like quite a bit of rap, but don't know anything about Common. So he was talking about (supporting?) convicted cop killers in a message to bring peace, but then later in a different song advocated the murder of George Bush?

Is that right?

I also think his opposition to different race relationships is extremely short sided and quite frankly stupid.

Don't really have an opinion on him being at the white house though. It wouldn't bother me if Lil Wayne was at the white house. I like a lot his rap but that doesn't mean he doesn't say things that I don't agree with in his music.

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - mlb - 05-13-2011 09:48 AM

From what I've read, many of his lyrics were taken out of context. Honestly, I've never heard anything from him, but the part on the Daily Show where Jon Stewart completes the rap quoted by Sean Hannity showed that he was saying that people should not be killing anyone, including cops.

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - Overrated - 05-13-2011 09:50 AM

(05-13-2011 09:48 AM)mlb Wrote:  From what I've read, many of his lyrics were taken out of context. Honestly, I've never heard anything from him, but the part on the Daily Show where Jon Stewart completes the rap quoted by Sean Hannity showed that he was saying that people should not be killing anyone, including cops.

But hasn't he shown strong public support for a cop killer, including naming his daughter after one? Or am I getting this wrong?

It seems like he wants it both ways.

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - mlb - 05-13-2011 09:59 AM

No idea, O.

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - b - 05-13-2011 10:19 AM

(05-13-2011 09:48 AM)mlb Wrote:  From what I've read, many of his lyrics were taken out of context. Honestly, I've never heard anything from him, but the part on the Daily Show where Jon Stewart completes the rap quoted by Sean Hannity showed that he was saying that people should not be killing anyone, including cops.
I'll repost the vid mlb is trying (probably unsuccessfully) to take a look at. I got rid of some steps to make it more convenient. Just watch it.
If none of you can admit to seeing the hypocrisy from the right after watching, then for me the writings on the wall. BTW, I'm not claiming the left is any better. I'm just simply saying.

Also, rath is all over the map when it comes to music

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - rath v2.0 - 05-13-2011 11:13 AM

(05-12-2011 11:02 PM)AZBCAT Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 03:33 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  b's got my back on my musical tastes. Few others on here do as well. What can I say? I'm a bit of a Renaissance Man.

Renaissance Man? It sounds like you support the Black Panthers, want to kill cops, are a misogynist, love Jeremiah Wright, etc. You did buy his album after all and sound like a long time supporter of him - and therefore are promoting everything he has ever said (at least according to Hannity and the meme you are promoting by posting this).

Of course, I'm not SAYING you are any of these things. I'm just asking the serious questions that need to be asked... Is Rath a member of the Black Panthers? Does Rath hate white people?

Going to go 3rd person today.

Rath loves "Be" and "Like Water For Chocolate." Incredible albums to study for the bar.

Rath's original point was that the non-objective media would have flayed a republican (or Libertarian) for doing this but its just uptight white people doing their thing if their guys lives at 1600 Penn. Ave.

But you completely missed that. Rath is not surprised.

And yes, Rath has most of Common's stuff going back to his days in the 90's when he chipped in on maybe the best album of all time of its genre, The Roots' "Things Fall Apart."

Give it a listen sometime, Whitey.

RE: Poet and we di'int know it - Eastside_J - 05-13-2011 11:21 AM

I don't give a crap which entertainers show up at the WH.

But Stewart, as usual, does a great job of mocking his adversaries using soundbites and never taking on the relevant criticism.

The guy's rap is an homage to a cop killer, there is no way of getting around it. The fact that he ends it with a nonviolent phrase is nice, but how stupid would it be for me to talk about what a beautiful soul (fill in the blank killer) was and then end with - oh yeah but he shouldn't have done what he did?

This is really so damn "common" - liberal kids wear peace signs, talk about how war is unnecessary and brutal and have Che Guevara posters on their wall.

Communism was and is the most brutal force on earth and has killed more innocents than any other movement, ever, and its not even close... And yet liberals (heck check out "The DAILY KOS) embrace and romanticize communist imagery constantly. KOS has even toned it down - when it started that thing was packed full of communist symbols.

Kids in college love Mao red stars and images. Chicks think Mao was kind of cute and the whole peasant worker thing is romantic. How many people did Mao have killed?

The Weather Underground - some have even forgiven and even romanticized those scumbags. Our very own BHO was hanging out and getting a helping hand from their dips*t killer leader.

Gee another liberal romanticizing the people and the images that represent real-life violence because of some perceived virtue of the "powerless" and the "proletariat", while claiming to be a peace lover.

Remember its OK because "THE ENDS JUSTIFY THE MEANS"

WTF is new.