CSNbbs
Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall (/thread-497033.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - subflea - 05-15-2011 02:41 PM

Today's win gives him 392 as head coach at Cincinnati, passing Glenn Sample's 391.

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/051511aaa.html

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - bearcat34 - 05-15-2011 03:35 PM

Yes he did. His record at UC is now 392-455-1. Too bad he still hasn't achieved a winning record.

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - rath v2.0 - 05-15-2011 03:42 PM

Isn't Minter the career leader in football wins and losses? Nuff said.

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - LKR33 - 05-15-2011 04:15 PM

Coach Cleary is a really good guy, but he just passed a legend. Coach Sample was as good as an embassodor for UC as there has ever been at the University. I have incredibly fond memories of Coach even though he was not my coach while I played at UC. UC lossed an incredibly great man when Coach passed away.

With all that said, I wish nothing but the best for Coach Cleary and hope like heck he can get his winning % above .500.

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - subflea - 05-15-2011 04:24 PM

(05-15-2011 03:35 PM)bearcat34 Wrote:  Yes he did. His record at UC is now 392-455-1. Too bad he still hasn't achieved a winning record.

He is headed that direction. He will have a winning record this year, and I really like what UC is bringing back for next season.
I have been very critical of Cleary the last few years, but even I will say that he deserves to be here next year. He has assembled a pretty good team that will likely compete for the top spot in the conference next season.

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - bearcat34 - 05-15-2011 05:42 PM

Cleary has been here 14 years. His winning percentage is 46%. Even if he wins at the same rate he has over the the past 5 years (56%), it will take another 14 years for him to have a .500 record. Losing to a below .500 Division III team (no scholarships and in Ohio) should make a statement. Next year they will lose Peters, Riddell, Jenson and Johnson among others. I just don't see them competing for the Big East. Maybe .500. Recruits will look at his winning percenatage and it is not a selling point

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - Bearcats#1 - 05-15-2011 05:55 PM

sorry...not impressed. Cleary is not the answer for UC baseball....

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - subflea - 05-15-2011 05:56 PM

That is 4 players who regularly start weekend games. They return 6 players in the field. Glass will likely take over for Riddell in the outfield, and he has been amazing this year at the plate in the DH role. As good as Peters is, his 1 or 2 errors a game will not be missed by this guy.

Losing Jensen and Johnson hurts, but I really like what I have seen from Matt Ring who will likely move into a starting role and Isler showed on Saturday that he can be a quality weekend starter. Gentile and Mergen could also compete for those weekend spots.

The only other players we lose are Nick Rohlfs, a backup catcher who hardly sees the field because he is a defensive liability, Dan Glozer, a mediocre middle reliever, and Brian Sand who has pitched a whole 12.1 innings this year.

The core of a decent team returns and should be better next year.

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - subflea - 05-15-2011 06:00 PM

(05-15-2011 05:55 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  sorry...not impressed. Cleary is not the answer for UC baseball....

How many games have you seen this year?

I have been to probably 90% of the home games and I can tell you that with the team returning, they can compete for a Big East title next season.

This is coming from a guy who felt he should have been fired after the previous two seasons. I really see potential over the next few years.

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - bearcat34 - 05-15-2011 06:11 PM

Come on Subflea, even you have some doubt as to whether they will be able to make the Big East tournament this year. To go from potentially 8th to number 1 next year just doesn't normally happen. 14 years of subpar ball is enough. Look up Glenn Sample. How many NCAA appearances did he have (4). How many has Brian Cleary had. Seriously what D1 school would allow a coach with a losing record to keep his job for a 14 year period. Maybe I don't get what the job of a coach is. I thought it was to win and develop players. Development isn't happening. Just look at the JUCO players coming in every year.

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - subflea - 05-15-2011 06:20 PM

I do doubt if the will make the tournament this year. I think they will after taking the series this weekend, but I sure would like one more win next weekend to be really sure. It shows how close the competition in the conference is. They are currently in 4th place and at the end of next weekend could fall to 9th. Every team from 3 to 9 in the standings is within a couple of games of each other. So no, I don't believe it is a stretch to think they could be in the top of the conference next year. UConn is by and far away the best team in the conference this season, but their best 2 players are likely going to be 1st round picks in this year's draft and they could fall back to the pack with everyone else who is right around .500 this season.

As far as JUCO players, many college baseball teams bring in a couple every year. As for development, I would say Jake Proctor is a pretty good example. He struggled at the plate last season, hitting .111 in a decent amount of games, this season he is just under .300.

Several of the new players have improved a lot over this season. Nic Spence and Jake Saylor are both playing way better now than at the beginning of the season.

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - vabearcat - 05-15-2011 06:50 PM

14 years is long enough. With Cincinnati's baseball heritage, a .460 career winning percentage is not acceptable. We've been in Marge Schott Stadium now a number of years. Are we significantly better in recruiting and in on-field performance, as was predicted by Cleary when UC's excellent baseball facilities were put into place.

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - BearcatOtto - 05-16-2011 09:40 AM

VA Cat...I understand you thought on the winning percentage but look at it closer.

If you take four years off of Cleary's overall record (1997, 1998, 2003, and 2004) his overall percentage would be 53%. And his overall percentage since Marge Schott stadium opened is 58%.

I realize that you cannot eliminate those years but let's look at them closer....'97 and '98 are his first two years on the job. Not only is he a new coach but he is building and recruiting for his program. 2003 and 2004 are the years that they were building Marge Schott Stadium. UC played 55 road games in both of these years because they had no on campus facility.

You might say that they used Midland field as their home stadium but every game you needed to load a bus and ride to the game. Not as easy as some would think. Also, no crowd except family and girl friends. NO home field advantage.

As Sub pointed out, this team has a very good and young pitching staff and they have recruited very well. Matt Williams is going to be a very good third baseman. He already is as a freshman and will only get better as he adds muscle and refines his batting stroke. Jake Proctor will be an All-Big East player. And UC has some very good talent recruited to help next year.

If UC can win two against UConn next weekend they will probably finish fourth. If you have seen some games this year you would know that they are jsut a few timely hits from second place. Nobody was catching UConn this year.

If you want to help this team get better, take the time to go to some games. Not only is it the best value in town ($10/year per season ticket), you will also see some outstanding college baseball.

See you next weekend and the park and help us to beat UConn.

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - BearcatOtto - 05-16-2011 09:41 AM

There goes the double posts again.

Any ideas on how to eliminate that?

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - ruffles - 05-16-2011 10:04 AM

Cleary's winning percentage should also be analyzed with the type of OOC schedule that is regularly played by UC. Not a very impressive schedule at all. The win percentage should be higher for a program with the facilities that UC has. This year 3 games with Yougstown St., 3 with Cleveland St., 4 with Western Michigan, 1 with Morehead st, Otterbein and Butler. That is 13 games or 1/4 of your schedule. The only strong OOC games are the BigEast/Big 10 challenge and Clemson which were the first 4 games of the year. I would say the win/loss record this year has been manipulated by the coach using the OOC schedule. Doesn't really say much. Not sold on Cleary at all.

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - BearcatOtto - 05-16-2011 10:42 AM

Understand that in-week schedules are dictated by travel distance. UC actually has a pretty decent amount of schools to pick from within a 2-3 hour bus trip. But just because you have those schools close does not mean schedules always will match.

We have Louisville in the league. We play X and Miami multiple games. Wright State (good program) and Dayton are on the schedule every year. We play Indiana and Kentucky consistently. We played Toledo this year.

Very few teams, if any ( I'm too lazy to look up schedules), will travel far for weekend OOC games. Everybody's budget is limited. You have two trips per year most years. This year we played in The First Pitch Invitational in Clemson and the Big East/Big Ten Challenge. Both scheduled early in the year to get away from bad weather in Cincinnati.

UC currently has 11 players playing Pro ball. Every one of them were recruited and coached by Cleary. Apparently he has an eye for talent and can coach them enough to get drafted. Youkilis is at Boston. Tony Campana and Josh Harrison are both in AAA and batting over .300. Spina has moved up to AA this year and leads his team in home runs. And there are more. Visit GoBearcats.com for more info.

You can state that you are not sold on Cleary but you would be wrong.

One other stat...UC baseball players carry a colective GPA of over 3.0...(probably higher but I cannot find the exact stat). Coach Cleary graduates his student athletes and prepares them for life after college.

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - ruffles - 05-16-2011 10:58 AM

(05-16-2011 10:42 AM)BearcatOtto Wrote:  Understand that in-week schedules are dictated by travel distance. UC actually has a pretty decent amount of schools to pick from within a 2-3 hour bus trip. But just because you have those schools close does not mean schedules always will match.

We have Louisville in the league. We play X and Miami multiple games. Wright State (good program) and Dayton are on the schedule every year. We play Indiana and Kentucky consistently. We played Toledo this year.

Very few teams, if any ( I'm too lazy to look up schedules), will travel far for weekend OOC games. Everybody's budget is limited. You have two trips per year most years. This year we played in The First Pitch Invitational in Clemson and the Big East/Big Ten Challenge. Both scheduled early in the year to get away from bad weather in Cincinnati.

UC currently has 11 players playing Pro ball. Every one of them were recruited and coached by Cleary. Apparently he has an eye for talent and can coach them enough to get drafted. Youkilis is at Boston. Tony Campana and Josh Harrison are both in AAA and batting over .300. Spina has moved up to AA this year and leads his team in home runs. And there are more. Visit GoBearcats.com for more info.

You can state that you are not sold on Cleary but you would be wrong.

One other stat...UC baseball players carry a colective GPA of over 3.0...(probably higher but I cannot find the exact stat). Coach Cleary graduates his student athletes and prepares them for life after college.

Yes in-week games are dictated by travel. No Indiana this year. Otterbein? Morehead St every year? Younstown St for 3, Cleveland St for 3 and Western Michigan for 4 were weekend series not week day games. Your analysis is way off. Bottom line is with the schedule they played this year they SHOULD have a winning record. The question should be how much over .500 they should be.

Is the primary function of a college coach to get players drafted. Kind of funny to have college coaches listing that as an accomplishment like they had alot to do with developing that talent.

Otto - are you too close to the situation to be able to be objective? You get pretty defensive quickly saying someone is wrong. As I said - I AM NOT sold on Cleary and after as long as he has been at UC if you aren't sold on him that says alot.

By the way - Okie St just came to Ohio St for 2 week day games and a Florida team did the same the week before. I guess some teams can get teams to travel during the week.

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - Fubar - 05-16-2011 10:59 AM

I agree we should be winning more, but besides the new stadium (which helps now) our scholarship situation isn't the best with dollars for in-state only, so we can't go out of state much to get players. Factor in 7 state schools all handing out the same money in Ohio and it becomes pretty difficult to stockpile talent, they just go somewhere else for more money instead of ride the pine and earn a scholarship at UC in year 2. Not saying we shouldn't be better, but there are reasons other than the coach for it as well.

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - BearcatOtto - 05-16-2011 11:11 AM

Baseball operates at a deficit.

They also only have 7.5 scholarships to offer. The NCAA allows 11.5.

Recruiting budgets are so small that travel is very limited for the coaches to view new talent.

Baseball started the Diamond Club recently. They raise money to support baseball outside of the athletic budget. Join and help UC get back to a level playing field.

RE: Cleary sets record with win against Seton Hall - subflea - 05-16-2011 11:51 AM

You can throw out Otterbein. It wasn't on the schedule to begin with and was only added to replace the Ohio game that was rained out. I spoke to Cleary after that game and he stated that they tried to add another DI team to the schedule, but no one could do it on the dates they had open. Otterbein was supposed to play MSJ at Marge Schott Stadium that day, but UC basically told them they were not going to be able to use our field because we needed it. The we took their oppoenent for that day as well.

I am also willing to bet that Ohio State paid for teams like Oklahoma State and Florida to make that trip. Not going to happen with the UC budget. The team buses to Dayton for every flight to save cash and they are still limited greatly with the budget.