CSNbbs
Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier (/thread-497160.html)

Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - ctipton - 05-16-2011 04:13 PM

Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier
2:17 PM, May. 16, 2011

[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20110516&...p;Border=0]
Enquirer file photo
Pat Kelsey (right) said he struggled with the decision but has chosen to step away from college coaching.

Written by
Shannon Russell
srussell@enquirer.com

Two-year Xavier associate head basketball coach Pat Kelsey has resigned for personal reasons, the school announced today.

Kelsey, 36, said he struggled with the decision but has chosen to step away from college coaching.

“Four years ago, I witnessed first-hand Coach (Skip) Prosser's death in the basketball office at Wake Forest,” Kelsey said in a release. “That day, my perspective on the profession and life was forever altered. My role as a father and husband is everything to me and the rigors of this business can make that challenging. My family and my health come first.”

Kelsey and his wife, Lisa, have two daughters: Ruthie, 3, and Caroline, 2.

After 10 years with XU and Wake Forest hoops programs, Kelsey’s talent, success and work ethic made him an attractive head coaching candidate. He was the frontrunner in the Towson University opening this offseason before withdrawing his name from contention, The Baltimore Sun said.

Kelsey was also linked to Charlotte’s vacancy last spring.

The former point guard, who played for Prosser as an undergrad, worked with Xavier’s post players and was a respected recruiter.

Coach Chris Mack said Kelsey was like a brother to him and will be missed.

“Nowadays, college basketball is 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and the balance between career and family can be difficult. I respect and, in many ways, understand his decision to put family first. Kels will always be part of the Xavier basketball family even as he moves in a different direction professionally,” Mack said. “I want to thank him for his help making me a better coach in my first two years leading Xavier basketball.”

Mack is evaluating his staffing options but is in no hurry to find a replacement. “We’ll do what’s best for our program,” Mack said. “Time is on our side. I don’t need someone to be sitting in that chair next week.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110516/SPT0102/305160096/Pat-Kelsey-resigns-from-Xavier?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

RE: Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - @ES Trader - 05-17-2011 06:58 AM

Odd that Chris Mack signs an extension and Kelsey decides to leave. Could it signal Mack isnt leaving Xavier and Kelsey wants/needs to be an assistant at a real basketball school to get the kind of head coaching gig he really wants?

RE: Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - wanes - 05-17-2011 07:30 AM

(05-17-2011 06:58 AM)@ES Trader Wrote:  Odd that Chris Mack signs an extension and Kelsey decides to leave. Could it signal Mack isnt leaving Xavier and Kelsey wants/needs to be an assistant at a real basketball school to get the kind of head coaching gig he really wants?

"After 10 years with XU and Wake Forest hoops programs, Kelsey’s talent, success and work ethic made him an attractive head coaching candidate. He was the frontrunner in the Towson University opening this offseason before withdrawing his name from contention, The Baltimore Sun said."

I think he has a case of Urban Meyer in him.

RE: Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - Bearhawkeye - 05-17-2011 11:46 AM

(05-17-2011 06:58 AM)@ES Trader Wrote:  Odd that Chris Mack signs an extension and Kelsey decides to leave. Could it signal Mack isnt leaving Xavier and Kelsey wants/needs to be an assistant at a real basketball school to get the kind of head coaching gig he really wants?

Logical thought but no, Kelsey is apparently leaving the profession. Very strange resignation. As speculated, he probably would have had the Towson job before removing himself (which now kinda makes sense) and been in line to take over for Mack if he ever left. And if he didn't like Towson, those type of jobs open up all the time e.g. Murray St. just opened up. But seeing the Prosser situation unfold first-hand at WF as he did would probably make anyone do some serious thinking as he mentioned in another article.

At least for now I assume it's just an unfortunate coincidence, but on the other hand, I doubt anyone comes out of the following looking paticularly good:

Quote:Rape allegations surfacing against Wake Forest hoops team
Mike Miller
May 17, 2011, 8:20 AM EDT

Thursday could be an embarrassing day for the Wake Forest basketball program.

A former Wake Forest student will appear on the Today Show to discuss an alleged rape (edit: by WF players) that occurred before the March 19, 2009 NCAA tournament game against Cleveland State, according to an announcement by the National Coalition Against Violent Athletes on its Facebook page.

How the school and players on that team handle the allegations remains to be seen. There will undoubtedly be announcements before the show and rampant speculation about who was involved.

The segment airs around 8 a.m. ET.

Rape allegations surfacing against Wake Forest hoops team

RE: Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - QSECOFR - 05-17-2011 11:57 AM

Bear, was Kelsey at WF that time?

RE: Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - Bearhawkeye - 05-17-2011 12:03 PM

(05-17-2011 11:57 AM)QSECOFR Wrote:  Bear, was Kelsey at WF that time?

Yeah. The game (and alleged rape) was in March of 2009 per the article. He took the XU job in April of 2009.

I was kind of hesitant to bring it up, because this type of thing obviously is taken very seriously and I don't want to imply that Kelsey personally did anything wrong. This is beyond rivalry stuff imo. And just to be 100% clear, the alleged rape itself involves players, but it sounds like we'll soon hear more about who knew what when and what was or wasn't done about it. But the timing makes it so the issue is/was bound to come up.

RE: Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - rath v2.0 - 05-17-2011 12:24 PM

Possibly puts the Dino Gaudio firing in perspective. Dude goes 63-31 with 2 straight NCAA bids and a top 3 recruiting class and gets canned within a year of this incident.

RE: Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - Eastside_J - 05-17-2011 12:31 PM

(05-17-2011 12:03 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(05-17-2011 11:57 AM)QSECOFR Wrote:  Bear, was Kelsey at WF that time?

Yeah. The game (and alleged rape) was in March of 2009 per the article. He took the XU job in April of 2009.

I was kind of hesitant to bring it up, because this type of thing obviously is taken very seriously and I don't want to imply that Kelsey personally did anything wrong. This is beyond rivalry stuff imo. And just to be 100% clear, the alleged rape itself involves players, but it sounds like we'll soon hear more about who knew what when and what was or wasn't done about it. But the timing makes it so the issue is/was bound to come up.

The timing is way too coincidental. And the fact that Gaudio was also later fired just increases the likelihood that these things all point to a common source.

And yeah "who knew, what did they know and when did they know it" is usually where the questions fall. If you are seeking a new job on the fly or about to get fired, the answers are usually pretty damning.

Just a guess but I think this was a "don't worry - we will handle this" (translation = "please go away, and while you are away please decide against pursuing this further") type thing.

Unfortuanately this is quite a bit more serious than trying to bury a story about kids getting under market value used cars and cash and free tattoos for their jerseys, cleats and stupid gold pants.

RE: Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - QSECOFR - 05-17-2011 02:00 PM

I hope he wasn't involved or had any knowledge. I've met Kelsey before and he seems like a great guy.

RE: Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - Bearhawkeye - 05-17-2011 02:27 PM

(05-17-2011 12:24 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Possibly puts the Dino Gaudio firing in perspective. Dude goes 63-31 with 2 straight NCAA bids and a top 3 recruiting class and gets canned within a year of this incident.

Yeah, I was going to hold off but the situation begs a lot of questions. This story aside, who would be an ideal hire to replace Kelsey? Dino Gaudio? And if they brought in Gaudio, might they also land Tony Woods given Gaudio's praise of Woods? And I hate to even bring this up but it seems inevitable until we get more facts, wasn't Tony Woods playing for WF in March 2009?

Again, I hope nobody jumps to any conclusions - the only thing I know about this whole issue is from the link I cited earlier that contains NO NAMES or specifics nor have I heard any rumors about any specific players or coach. Plus it's just an anonymous allegation at this point that may or may not even be credible.

RE: Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - rath v2.0 - 05-17-2011 03:00 PM

Good call on Woods. Forgot about that possible link.

RE: Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - subflea - 05-17-2011 03:28 PM

(05-17-2011 02:00 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  I hope he wasn't involved or had any knowledge. I've met Kelsey before and he seems like a great guy.

I have asked around and no one seems to think the resignation and this rape allegation are linked in any way.

I have never heard anything but good stuff about Kelsey.

I think seeing what coaching did to Prosser was likely very influential in this decision.

RE: Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - Eastside_J - 05-17-2011 10:38 PM

(05-17-2011 03:28 PM)subflea Wrote:  
(05-17-2011 02:00 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  I hope he wasn't involved or had any knowledge. I've met Kelsey before and he seems like a great guy.

I have asked around and no one seems to think the resignation and this rape allegation are linked in any way.

I have never heard anything but good stuff about Kelsey.

I think seeing what coaching did to Prosser was likely very influential in this decision.

Truth be told Sub, I haven't heard anything but positives about the guy as well.

Just looks like a lot of things that string together towards a common endpoint. Which is not to say that, even if these things are related, he had any shady dealings in the matter. Sometimes knowing something is enough. And certainly this is one of those things that is going to get messy for a lot of people.

RE: Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - ctipton - 05-19-2011 09:25 PM

[Image: logo_226x28.png]

Rising star Kelsey quit for all the right reasons

By Gary Parrish
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
May 18, 2011

Pat Kelsey's retirement from college coaching received a decent amount of attention in the world of basketball this week, but beyond that almost nothing. It wasn't a headline on any of the nation's biggest websites; I don't think it made SportsCenter, either. But the development might have been the most interesting retirement in coaching this offseason because it involves a 36-year-old rising star who simply decided he had had enough.

Enough long days in gyms.

Enough lonely nights in hotels.

Enough time away from his family.

So Kelsey announced he's walking away.

"My role as a father and husband is everything to me," he said. "The rigors of this business can make that challenging."

To understand why this is eye-opening you have to understand that Kelsey wasn't just any assistant coach. He was the associate head coach at Xavier-- a young and respected gentleman on his way to becoming a Division I head coach. That means Kelsey was on the path to possible fame and probable fortune. And yet he knew such things would almost certainly come with a price he wouldn't be willing to pay, so he walked, quietly, on a random afternoon.

It should startle other college coaches.

What does it say about the business when a man doubts he can be a good husband while also being a good college coach? What does it say about the business when a man wonders what he'll miss as a father if he continues in the profession? What does it say about the business when a man watches his old boss, Skip Prosser, die in an office during the grueling travel schedule of the annual July recruiting period and questions whether it's dangerous to live the life?

[Image: img15076897.jpg]
(GoXavier.com)
Kelsey was an assistant at Wake Forest under Skip Prosser in 2007 when Prosser died from a heart attack at 56.

Kelsey was an assistant at Wake Forest in July 2007, you see. He witnessed Prosser's death and acknowledged upon retirement that it impacted him greatly. The visual of watching his friend become a possible casualty of the modern-era grind of college coaching has never left. That combined with the time spent away from home combined with the reality that high-major coaching no longer has very much to do with coaching -- it's more about marketing and cutting sometimes questionable deals with sometimes questionable characters to get recruits -- was enough to make Kelsey reevaluate everything.

So now he's looking for work outside of basketball.

And I applaud him.

At a time when far too many college basketball coaches -- not to mention college basketball writers -- work stupid hours and determine their self-worth by the size of their paychecks, by the number of times they get recognized on a street, by how many Twitter followers they've accumulated, Kelsey is an example of someone with true priorities. He doesn't just say "family first." He's putting his family first in a very real way.

Which is not to suggest all coaches are unbalanced.

They're not.

Butler's Brad Stevens and Gonzaga's Mark Few, just to name two, are examples of men who seem to have figured out a way to be a good coach, good husband and good father. I once called Stevens and he answered while running errands for his wife right in the middle of basketball season. Few once canceled a breakfast with me because he was taking his children for a morning walk along the Mississippi River while his wife got away for a few hours, and this was the day before Gonzaga played North Carolina in the Sweet 16 of the 2009 NCAA tournament in Memphis. Granted, those are just two stories. But they're not random or isolated stories for those two men, and they're not exclusive to them, either. Other guys are also good. But there's no denying that late-night film sessions, nonstop phone calls and constant travel make it difficult for coaches to balance their jobs and personal lives.

At least there was no denying it for Kelsey.

So he walked away from the profession this week and he'll be doing something else soon. He'll likely never be as famous as he would've otherwise been, and it's doubtful he'll ever be as wealthy as many of his friends. But I know a lot of famous and wealthy men with huge regrets, and I respect that Pat Kelsey didn't want to become one of them.

For more from Gary Parrish, check him out on Twitter: @GaryParrishCBS

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15076839/rising-star-kelsey-quit-for-all-the-right-reasons

RE: Pat Kelsey resigns from Xavier - Bearhawkeye - 05-20-2011 07:04 PM

I just wanted to update the thread with the piece on the alleged victim from Wake Forest:

Watch here

There are other issues about the case not in the report, but 2 key points I wanted to make iirc:
1. 2 Players were alleged to be involved. Tony Woods was not one of them.
2. The report tries to suggest the University tried to sweep the incident under the rug, but gave no indication that any coaches, including Gaudio and Kelsey, acted inappropriately.