CSNbbs
Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years (/thread-500457.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - miko33 - 06-14-2011 09:15 PM

The age of superconferences will begin within 5 years. That is my prediction, and it seems that a number of the Big10 schools are beginning to arrange their future OOC schedules around 2016 and beyond with ND, Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse. Case in point, PSU has had zero desire to play Pitt since 2000. Now, it appears that PSU has changed on that stance. Why? Because they need to expand their eastern presence and that when superconferences become a reality the B1G will need to deepen those bonds with the more traditional eastern FB teams, which ND is included in due to their "eastern feel". The link below is merely the beginning of a progression of steps that will be occurring in within the next 5 years.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11165/1153636-100-2.stm

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - Theodoresdaddy - 06-14-2011 10:32 PM

maybe Notre Dame but not the other three

I think that the Big Tenish has sort of penned itself in

I can see Missouri being invited but I don't think that the Big Tenish would or could move east

Rutgers doesn't offer the NYC market; Syracuse doesn't offer it either. I'd say that Notre Dame could offer a more of NYC than schools in the area.

I just don't see Pitt going to the Big Tenish either. They don't offer anything market wise to the league either. Penn State can deliver the entire state of Pennsylvania.

I think those three schools along with WVU and UConn move to the ACC if the SEC takes Va Tech, Clemson and maybe Florida State.

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - ohio1317 - 06-14-2011 10:34 PM

My prediction is that we see the opposite. Schools will find themselves on hard times and more and more schools will be out for themselves entirely. The current conferences will have to give in more to the big boys or you'll see more independents or conferences made up only of the biggest names. This is more of a 10 year prediction than a 5 year one though

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - WacoBearcat - 06-14-2011 10:53 PM

It's hard to say what is going to happen. But I think we are already in the era of the super-conference. It's called the BCS and it will be interesting to see what happens to the BCS in the next 10 years.

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - ClairtonPanther - 06-14-2011 11:05 PM

I think its impossible to know whats going to happen 5,10, or 15 years down the road. We may see 5 more teams added to the BCS ranks(3 BE, 2 B12) and thats the end of expansion forever. We just might end up seeing 4-5 16 team leagues. Or this could go a different route if the Big 6 leaves forms its own division within the NCAA and leaves the rest of the FBS in the dust. Hell what about a playoff forces some leagues to split in half and adds some nonaq like schools so they could get more schools into a playoff. The paradigm always changes. Right now it is about the money, but who knows what the next paradigm is.

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - superdeluxe - 06-15-2011 12:08 AM

So you see Penn state schedule Pitt..you think that means they will be joining the B1G?

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - sierrajip - 06-15-2011 12:09 AM

Big 10 is set, unless ND is willing. I really can't see that happening.

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - Kit-Cat - 06-15-2011 12:40 AM

Potential adds:

Big Ten: Rutgers, Maryland
SEC: TCU/TAMU
ACC: Syracuse

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - Star City Hokie - 06-15-2011 03:32 AM

I think Missouri would get invited to the Big 10 before Pittsburgh.

That would give them the flagship school of a state that includes St. Louis and Kansas City versus Pittsburgh who is already covered in the area somewhat by Penn St.

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - Fresno St. Alum - 06-15-2011 04:23 AM

My prediction? Pain

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - OrangeCrush22 - 06-15-2011 04:40 AM

I could see it happening only if Notre Dame gets added first though. Because they are gonna want some of there numerous rivals in the conference and with Pittsburgh and Syracuse (more of a basketball rival, but we still beat them in football, see 2008) in the conference they can schedule USC out of conference every year.

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - goodknightfl - 06-15-2011 05:51 AM

(06-15-2011 03:32 AM)Star City Hokie Wrote:  I think Missouri would get invited to the Big 10 before Pittsburgh.

That would give them the flagship school of a state that includes St. Louis and Kansas City versus Pittsburgh who is already covered in the area somewhat by Penn St.
+100. I think the odds of Pitt ending up in ACC is much bigger than big 10. I don't really see either happening. Once the BE is done things will settle for quite a while. There is little reason for any conf to go past 12.

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - CatsClaw - 06-15-2011 06:38 AM

Nobody's going to the ACC or the Big 10 and begging and wishful thinking isn't going to change anything.

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - TerryD - 06-15-2011 06:38 AM

Notre Dame has zero interest in joining the Big Whatever. They are making the scheduling and media moves to assure that their football program remains an independent.

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - CatsClaw - 06-15-2011 06:49 AM

Exactly Terry, that's why threads like these are ridiculous. If Notre Dame were going to the Big Ten they wouldn't be starting their own network. And if Notre Dame and the above mentioned schools were going the Big Ten we wouldn't be on the verge of signing a big TV deal and starting our own network. Going on message boards and begging for inclusion does nothing. We need to man up and elevate ourselves instead of starting threads and pathetically begging conferences like the Big 12, ACC and the Big Ten for a free ride. Thankfully Pitt, Louisville and others have heart and self-respect and are actually trying to improve their current BCS conference instead shamelessly begging other conferences for free money.

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - dgrace4cards - 06-15-2011 08:00 AM

Yeah, this thread is very very dreamy by the OP, but with no substance behind it. UL has been scheduling UK for years now, only because its a trial run for the SEC west

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - miko33 - 06-15-2011 08:28 AM

(06-15-2011 08:00 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  Yeah, this thread is very very dreamy by the OP, but with no substance behind it. UL has been scheduling UK for years now, only because its a trial run for the SEC west

If superconferences do in fact come about, then it stands to reason that BCS conferences that will be expanding will need candidate schools. I was trying to group like schools together that would make sense for the Big10 to pursue based on a logical east/west split. Also, Pitt academically fits the Big10 mold so it wouldn't be unreasonable for the schools to be included among the Big10 schools if the age of superconferences come about. The Pac12 commissioner continues to talk about the possibility of BCS conferences expanding beyond 12 member schools. In light of that, I started a thread to reflect one superconference possibility.

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - dgrace4cards - 06-15-2011 08:31 AM

And then my fictional statement about UL playing UK to get ready for the SEC is true as well. You started this with PREDICTION, meaning you actually believe this is going to happen, when in fact its not.

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - miko33 - 06-15-2011 08:46 AM

(06-15-2011 08:31 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  And then my fictional statement about UL playing UK to get ready for the SEC is true as well. You started this with PREDICTION, meaning you actually believe this is going to happen, when in fact its not.

True, I made a prediction. I think it's quite possible that it will happen, but I cannot say with certitude that it will. I'm not sure how strong of a prediction it is, but I'm sticking my neck on the line by making it. But you cannot state it as fact that it an event will or will not happen. It is just your opinion.

RE: Prediction: Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and ND will be in the B1G in 5 years - Native Georgian - 06-15-2011 09:43 AM

(06-14-2011 10:32 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  Rutgers doesn't offer the NYC market; Syracuse doesn't offer it either. I'd say that Notre Dame could offer a more of NYC than schools in the area.
But add all 3, plus the ones that the B1G already has... then yeah, NYC becomes B1G territory in that case.

(06-14-2011 10:53 PM)WacoBearcat Wrote:  I think we are already in the era of the super-conference. It's called the BCS
True, so very true.

(06-15-2011 06:38 AM)TerryD Wrote:  Notre Dame has zero interest in joining the Big Whatever.
I daresay. But sometimes life has a way of forcing people to do things they aren't interested in. We will see how that goes for Notre Dame football.

(06-15-2011 04:23 AM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  My prediction? Pain
30 years later, that's still one of my favorite movies. And that line is one of the main reasons why.