CSNbbs
Gator Bowl - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+----- Thread: Gator Bowl (/thread-53176.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- rjbest - 05-05-2005 08:52 AM

Gator Bowl: Big 10 or Big 12 (from the Jacksonville Daily Record)

The Gator Bowl Association expects to sign a multi-year contract with either the Big 10 or Big 12 conference soon to replace the Big East in the annual Toyota Gator Bowl game.
The Big East has been ravaged by the loss of teams to the Gator Bowl’s other conference affiliate, the Atlantic Coast Conference, and local officials have been looking for a more attractive tie-in.
The Big 10 contains teams such as Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan; the Big 12 has Oklahoma, Texas and Nebraska.
The Big East, which has provided one of the Toyota Gator Bowl teams for the last 11 years, has lost Virginia Tech, Miami and Boston College to the ACC in the last year. All were attractive teams for the area and the conference has replaced them with teams such as Cincinnati and Louisville, which presumably have lesser drawing power.
The Big East-ACC contract runs through the next game, which will be on January 2, 2006. The new match-up will begin with the 2007 game.
The association gets the first choice of any ACC team which doesn’t qualify for the Bowl Championship Series, a four-bowl alliance that is intended to identify a national champion.
It is not clear at what level the association would choose a team with either the Big 10 or Big 12. Both conferences presently have bowl affiliations which go as deep as the No. 6 team but some of those contracts also are up for renewal.
The Toyota Gator Bowl annually rates among the top four of the 28 bowls in attendance and is the only bowl televised by NBC.
Florida State defeated West Virginia 30-18 before 70,112.

- Jackson1011 - 05-05-2005 08:56 AM

Quote:The Big East, which has provided one of the Toyota Gator Bowl teams for the last 11 years, has lost Virginia Tech, Miami and Boston College to the ACC in the last year. All were attractive teams for the area and the conference has replaced them with teams such as Cincinnati and Louisville, which presumably have lesser drawing power

-- BC being an attractive bowl team?!?! :laugh: ...they are as about attractive as Temple

-- Not the worst thing in the world.....first step towards becoming less dependent on ND....I applaud the BE office in not giving in to the unfettered access to ND demand

Jackson

- Maize - 05-05-2005 09:05 AM

Unless we replace the Gator with a decent Bowl then just end the Notre Dame being tied to the Big East for Bowl Tie Ins. It just takes a spot from someone who is a full Football Member.

- TopCoog - 05-05-2005 09:19 AM

I would not want a deal like that with Notre Dame for any league. How is it helping the Big East? In terms of football they need to get all the way in or all the way out.

- Jackson1011 - 05-05-2005 09:38 AM

I wonder what will happen with Notre Dame....probably the most likely replacement for the Gator is the Champs Sports bowl which Syracuse played in last yr....they seemed to really like having a BE team in the game

-- If our bowl tie ins are Champs, Insight, Tire and Toronto....none of those bowls are probably going to be "good enough" for Notre Dame in most yrs....they might just choose to go it alone

-- This is probably the best possible news for Memphis fans who want there school in the BABE...the Memphis/ Liberty bowl now becomes a very tempting target in the next few yrs

Jackson

- TopCoog - 05-05-2005 09:47 AM

Where do you come up with this stuff Jackson? The big 12 just pulled out of the Independence and the SEC will not be far behind. Smart money says the Liberty gets the SEC team that has been in the Independence OR an ACC team, probably the former. Cusa should pick up the Independence Bowl, they would be the logical choice based on geography. The Big east might well end up in that bowl vs CUSA, they pay 1.1 million. The liberty seems focused on the SEC/ACC tie in.

- Jackson1011 - 05-05-2005 09:49 AM

Seems to me if the BE football split....a 9th team is needed with a high BCS ranking and one that would be appealing to bowls...Memphis with its ties to the Liberty bowl fits both qualifications. Without the Gator bowl Memphis suddenly becomes more attractive in 2010.That sounds very logical to me

Jackson

- TopCoog - 05-05-2005 09:59 AM

well, we just disagree about the chances of a split. Memphis will never be in the Big East. They won't go that far west or the would have already done it. What do you think of the Independence bowl should that open up?

- Jackson1011 - 05-05-2005 10:03 AM

I would take the Independece Bowl.....I think the BE needs to get away from bowl games controlled by the ACC...but again the Independence bowl against CUSA may not be "good enough" for ND...I am sure Irish will have some input

Jackson

- TopCoog - 05-05-2005 10:12 AM

Doesn't look like Notre Dame has the clout they once had, they couldn't save the Gator. If CUSA gets into the Independence as I think they will the bowl only has two ways to go. All the MWC teams are committed, or will be. They would have to either take the WAC and hope to get Fresno or Boise or make a deal with the Big East. You may well get that spot.

- cuseroc - 05-05-2005 10:55 AM

rjbest Wrote:Gator Bowl: Big 10 or Big 12 (from the Jacksonville Daily Record)

The Gator Bowl Association expects to sign a multi-year contract with either the Big 10 or Big 12 conference soon to replace the Big East in the annual Toyota Gator Bowl game.
The Big East has been ravaged by the loss of teams to the Gator Bowl’s other conference affiliate, the Atlantic Coast Conference, and local officials have been looking for a more attractive tie-in.
The Big 10 contains teams such as Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan; the Big 12 has Oklahoma, Texas and Nebraska.
The Big East, which has provided one of the Toyota Gator Bowl teams for the last 11 years, has lost Virginia Tech, Miami and Boston College to the ACC in the last year. All were attractive teams for the area and the conference has replaced them with teams such as Cincinnati and Louisville, which presumably have lesser drawing power.
The Big East-ACC contract runs through the next game, which will be on January 2, 2006. The new match-up will begin with the 2007 game.
The association gets the first choice of any ACC team which doesn’t qualify for the Bowl Championship Series, a four-bowl alliance that is intended to identify a national champion.
It is not clear at what level the association would choose a team with either the Big 10 or Big 12. Both conferences presently have bowl affiliations which go as deep as the No. 6 team but some of those contracts also are up for renewal.
The Toyota Gator Bowl annually rates among the top four of the 28 bowls in attendance and is the only bowl televised by NBC.
Thanks for posting this old news rjbest. We're glad to see that it meant so much to you to make this your very first post.

- TexanMark - 05-05-2005 11:11 AM

cuseroc Wrote:

Thanks for posting this old news rjbest. We're glad to see that it meant so much to you to make this your very first post.
Cuseroc is there a history behind this poster we should know about?

- rjbest - 05-05-2005 11:12 AM

Although the information may not be surprising, it was in today's newspaper. Here's the link

<a href='http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=42793' target='_blank'>http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.ph...?Story_id=42793</a>

- Tigers2B1 - 05-05-2005 12:07 PM

Not saying the Liberty Bowl is married to the city of Memphis or the Memphis Tigers – but the Liberty Bowl has called the city of Memphis home for about 40 years and the sponsor of the Liberty Bowl, Auto Zone, is headquartered in Memphis. I think that’s why the Liberty Bowl is associated with CUSA now – because Memphis is associated with CUSA. If Memphis were to go to a BCS conference, the Liberty Bowl would be hard pressed NOT to follow. Local interest is a factor in where the Liberty Bowl goes conference-wise. So the argument of an SEC affiliation – if Memphis stays in CUSA, is always a possibility – I do wonder if the ACC would bee on the other side of that match-up however.

I do agree with TopCoog however – I doubt the Big East will look to Memphis for expansion. Not because Memphis doesn’t fit the criteria the Big East is looking for. I think Memphis does – an associated Bowl – a decent basketball and football program – and untapped recruiting grounds. Memphis will not be considered simply because Memphis is too far away from most of the Big East schools IMHO.

- cuseroc - 05-05-2005 12:07 PM

TexanMark Wrote:
cuseroc Wrote:

Cuseroc is there a history behind this poster we should know about?
No there is no history. Sometimes you have CUSA fans or others that take delight in posting negative things like this. I just find it interesting that this was his first post bearing bad news. Its not like we did not know this was going to happen, not from what we learned last week from the Gator Bowl people. I could be wrong, and if so I would apologize for giving him a hard time.

- cuseroc - 05-05-2005 12:12 PM

Tigers2B1 Wrote:Not saying the Liberty Bowl is married to the city of Memphis or the Memphis Tigers – but the Liberty Bowl has called the city of Memphis home for about 40 years and the sponsor of the Liberty Bowl, Auto Zone, is headquartered in Memphis. I think that’s why the Liberty Bowl is associated with CUSA now – because Memphis is associated with CUSA. If Memphis were to go to a BCS conference, the Liberty Bowl would be hard pressed NOT to follow. Local interest is a factor in where the Liberty Bowl goes conference-wise. So the argument of an SEC affiliation – if Memphis stays in CUSA, is always a possibility – I do wonder if the ACC would bee on the other side of that match-up however.

I do agree with TopCoog however – I doubt the Big East will look to Memphis for expansion. Not because Memphis doesn’t fit the criteria the Big East is looking for. I think Memphis does – an associated Bowl – a decent basketball and football program – and untapped recruiting grounds. Memphis will not be considered simply because Memphis is too far away from most of the Big East schools IMHO.
I am a proponent of Memphis being in the BE. Memphis is not any further than USF. if their fb can at least maintain the level that they are at now, I would love to see memphis in the BE. Decent tv market, decent bb, great bb history, decent fb, and a home made bowl. what more can you ask for?

- WacoBearcat - 05-05-2005 12:17 PM

One door closes, another door opens.

There are plenty of bowls that will be available to Big East teams.

Screw the Gator Bowl.

- SF Husky - 05-05-2005 12:29 PM

WacoBearcat Wrote:One door closes, another door opens.

There are plenty of bowls that will be available to Big East teams.

Screw the Gator Bowl.
Cant say it any better myself. Who cares about the Gator? I never thought it is a big deal. It is just another bowl game on New Year's day. To most college fans, I am sure it is just another game. Good teams at any bowl will attract people to watch it, Liberty bowl last year was one of the best ever with UL vs. Boise. There will be plenty of places for winning BE teams to go during bowling season.

This is great news in that we are finally rid of the ND influence. Without the ND influence, it is time for a split.

- tigerjeb - 05-05-2005 12:29 PM

big east loses a good florida bowl.

somebody remind me again why usf was chosen?

- cuseroc - 05-05-2005 12:37 PM

tigerjeb Wrote:big east loses a good florida bowl.

somebody remind me again why usf was chosen?
Because of their potential. So that we can still have a Fla presence. They are in a large market. I dont think anyone has implied that USF would secure any bowls for the BE.

I dont know why folks continually put down USF. I think USF will make a great addition for BE fb. Big East bb is another story. But we dont need to be reinforced on the bb side.