CSNbbs
What did the ACC really gain - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+----- Thread: What did the ACC really gain (/thread-53272.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Maize - 04-28-2005 01:23 PM

They were the ones that started of the this conference realignment and BCS confusion. They were the ones that wanted to kill the Big East and make a money grab. I guess it did not work, the Big East is still at the table and in pretty good position.

All they got in return was a TV contract that was lower then Swofford promised them as well as a Conference Title Game that did not meet what they expected in the market.

We now have more BCS games, the Big East still has two Top 20 schools and we are still over the largest TV market in the country. It is up to the Big East leadership to take advantage of what we have and be proactive.

- SO#1 - 04-28-2005 01:45 PM

Maize Wrote:They were the ones that started of the this conference realignment and BCS confusion.  They were the ones that wanted to kill the Big East and make a money grab.  I guess it did not work, the Big East is still at the table and in pretty good position.

All they got in return was a TV contract that was lower then Swofford promised them as well as a Conference Title Game that did not meet what they expected in the market.

We now have more BCS games, the Big East still has two Top 20 schools and we are still over the largest TV market in the country.<span style='color:red'>&nbsp; It is up to the Big East leadership to take advantage of what we have and be proactive.</span>
What are your suggestions?

- bearcatfan - 04-28-2005 02:03 PM

#1 is get a few teams ranked together as quickly and as high as possible.

Teams like UC and USF need to improve their attendance and make good showings on TV when they get the chance.

Beat OOC BCS teams as many times as possible. Take advantage of these opportunities.

- Jackson1011 - 04-28-2005 02:17 PM

Quote:QUOTE (Maize @ Apr 28 2005, 01:29 PM)
They were the ones that started of the this conference realignment and BCS confusion.&nbsp; They were the ones that wanted to kill the Big East and make a money grab.&nbsp; I guess it did not work, the Big East is still at the table and in pretty good position.

We now have more BCS games, the Big East still has two Top 20 schools and we are still over the largest TV market in the country.&nbsp; It is up to the Big East leadership to take advantage of what we have and be proactive.

-- The ACC did get Miami...which is probably all it really wanted in the first place

-- As for being proactive....I don't think there is a lot we can do untill 2010...I'm sure the idea of a football only member will get some play next summer but that's probably about it....at least we are getting an opportunity to rebuild and a large part of the league's football future depends on the development of Rutgers, Uconn, UC and USF...two of those programs really need to step up in terms of quality of play and fan support

Jackson

- L-yes - 04-28-2005 02:29 PM

SO#1 Wrote:
Maize Wrote:They were the ones that started of the this conference realignment and BCS confusion.  They were the ones that wanted to kill the Big East and make a money grab.  I guess it did not work, the Big East is still at the table and in pretty good position.

We now have more BCS games, the Big East still has two Top 20 schools and we are still over the largest TV market in the country.<span style='color:red'>  It is up to the Big East leadership to take advantage of what we have and be proactive.</span>
Noting the 'attendance evaluation' clause Louisville needs to have PJCS to 60,000 by 2006 no ifs ands or buts about it. We have Miami, West Virginia and UK all at home in 06 and the stadium would be at capacity with each. We could sell 100,000 for the UK game alone.

- TexanMark - 04-28-2005 02:35 PM

Is there any serious actions toward expanding the Pizza Box? I think it would be great if UL grew to 55-60k seats.

- UCF_Cardinals - 04-28-2005 02:53 PM

TexanMark Wrote:Is there any serious actions toward expanding the Pizza Box? I think it would be great if UL grew to 55-60k seats.
It's designed to be expanded to a max of like around 80k seats.

A few weeks ago talk of expanding PPCS was supposed to be on the table during a committee meeting, adding between around 12k-14k and like 30+ suites. Not sure what came of it.

- L-yes - 04-28-2005 02:59 PM

UCF_Cardinals Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:Is there any serious actions toward expanding the Pizza Box?&nbsp; I think it would be great if UL grew to 55-60k seats.
It's designed to be expanded to a max of like around 80k seats.

A few weeks ago talk of expanding PPCS was supposed to be on the table during a committee meeting, adding between around 12k-14k and like 30+ suites. Not sure what came of it.
The proposal was for an 18,000 seat expansion and the committee decided to move ahead with the plans but I've heard that it isn't an imminent expansion as in it could take 3-4 years to get their ducks in a row. I think it needs to happen ASAP given the current circumstances. And yes PJCS was built with the structure to support and 80,000-seat configuration.

- bearcatfan - 04-28-2005 03:04 PM

L-yes Wrote:We could sell 100,000 for the UK game alone.
Let's not get too carried away. UK may not hold up their part of the attendance. They don't like to see their team lose to Louisville. :laugh:

- brista21 - 04-28-2005 04:11 PM

Given that were safe for at least a few years, we need to find a quality Football-only member. Then the OOC scheduling needs to be adressed I want something that balances tradition and strength.
Notre Dame, Army, Navy, and Temple need to be on the schedule in some capacity for the 4 remaining Eastern Independent teams because of tradition reasons. Penn State and Boston College would also be nice to be in that mix.
Once the 1-AA Thing Passes in addition to the 12-game schedule, Rutgers should restart the series with Princeton because of our traditions with them. I don't know who has what for traditions with 1-AAs otherwise, Syracuse and Colgate perhaps? The 1-AA thing shouldn't be an across the boards thing, but in the case of a Rutgers - Princeton type of rivalry it should be back for historical reasons. Everyone should be trying to schedule as many BCS AQC teams (BCS and non-BCS are politically incorrect now I guess) and other highly ranked BCS NAQC teams every year in their OOC.
All 8 programs should be making sure their facilities are top flight, I know for Connecticut, Rutgers, Lousiville this is certainly no problem. I'm not sure of the other schools.
We should be making plans for now for a split from the non-Football Schools (that seems to be the most politically correct). We also need an academic/research consortium like that of the Big Ten for all current Big East schools, some prestigious regional D-3s like NYU and Rennsalaer Polytechnic Institute, and naturally the schools that join the two new conferences that result from a split.
We should use our market shares to our advantage to promote the conference membership particularly the local school in an area, for now Rutgers Football would make sense to promote in New Jersey, Philly, and New York. Connecticut Football would make sense to be promoted in New York, Connecticut, Boston, and even Providence.

- Jackson1011 - 04-28-2005 04:13 PM

Staduim expansion should be being discussed for Uconn as well.....would like to see the Huskies get a capacity of over 50,000 by 2010

Jackson

- SO#1 - 04-28-2005 04:37 PM

Jackson1011 Wrote:Staduim expansion should be being discussed for Uconn as well.....would like to see the Huskies get a capacity of over 50,000 by 2010

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Jackson
We need a general guideline for football schools regarding minimum standard facilities.

-Minimum of 50K seat capacity football stadium or access to one.
-Minimum of 10K seat capacity basketball arena
-Minimum of 1K seat capacity soccer stadium
-Baseball and softball

Attendance, number of sports, budget size and anything else that appropriate for our association. :)

- SF Husky - 04-28-2005 04:48 PM

Jackson1011 Wrote:Staduim expansion should be being discussed for Uconn as well.....would like to see the Huskies get a capacity of over 50,000 by 2010

Jackson
I believe UCONN will expand the stadium before 2010. The support is building for UCONN football. I hope the season ticket sales will reach over 33,000 this year. Indication at Spring game with 9,000 people showing up is a good sign.

- brista21 - 04-28-2005 05:47 PM

SO#1 Wrote:

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Jackson
We need a general guideline for football schools regarding minimum standard facilities.

-Minimum of 50K seat capacity football stadium or access to one.
-Minimum of 10K seat capacity basketball arena
-Minimum of 1K seat capacity soccer stadium
-Baseball and softball

Attendance, number of sports, budget size and anything else that appropriate for our association. :)
Personally the Basketball Arena thing should not be required necessarily. I like the 8000 seat RAC way too much for it to be demolished. Its such a loud arena and such. However, a requirement for any new areans to be 10,000 seats makes sense to me.

- Murph1 - 04-28-2005 07:46 PM

Jackson
Expansion to 50,000 will be on the agenda (assuming the sellouts continue) once these two projects are completed.

<a href='http://www.uconnhuskies.com/AllStories/athletics/2004/07/22/20040722.html' target='_blank'>http://www.uconnhuskies.com/AllStories/ath...2/20040722.html</a>

<a href='http://www.uconnhuskies.com/AllStories/athletics/2004/07/22/20040722a.html' target='_blank'>http://www.uconnhuskies.com/AllStories/ath.../20040722a.html</a>

- georgia_tech_swagger - 04-28-2005 08:31 PM

Maize Wrote:They were the ones that started of the this conference realignment and BCS confusion.&nbsp; They were the ones that wanted to kill the Big East and make a money grab.&nbsp; I guess it did not work, the Big East is still at the table and in pretty good position.

We now have more BCS games, the Big East still has two Top 20 schools and we are still over the largest TV market in the country.&nbsp; It is up to the Big East leadership to take advantage of what we have and be proactive.
The ACC wanted Miami and decided they wanted Miami bad enough to handle Miami's carry on baggage. The idea was to solidfy the ACC as among the finest in college football. Ironically, the year before Miami/VT moved in, the ACC was #1 in the Sagarin rankings.

The ACC was looking out for #1 (itself) and after Miami. Please put away the John Swofford out to get you conspiracy theories. Any reasonable person would agree that isn't true.

The ACC got what it wanted. It picked up Miami, and increased the pie slice for each school. The ACC already had the highest payout in the land at nearly 10.5 million each ... after expansion those slices are nearly 12.5 million each (IIRC).

- BullsFanatic - 04-28-2005 08:45 PM

But you also lost significant rivalries that used to take place every year. The ACC would have been just fine at 10 IMO, and could have accomplished all of its goals by staying at 10.

- CardHouse - 04-28-2005 08:51 PM

brista21 Wrote:Given that were safe for at least a few years, we need to find a quality Football-only member. Then the OOC scheduling needs to be adressed I want something that balances tradition and strength.
Notre Dame, Army, Navy, and Temple need to be on the schedule in some capacity for the 4 remaining Eastern Independent teams because of tradition reasons.
I agree the 9th member will need to be added only because of their football quality, after they meet the academic standards (whoever that may be at the time).

But Brista21, we (the Big East) have some work to do. You need to forget about that "tradition" stuff for now. When you beat teams like Army, Temple (and Princeton), the rest of the country says "so what".

We have a small league; all of our members need to make noise; Rutgers needs to beat teams like Mich State like you did last year.

.......and to answer the question of this thread; the ACC got what all the other BCS conferences have: at least 2 football powerhouses (Florida State the other).

Now who in the Big East will join Louisville as a future football powerhouse. :)

<span style='color:red'>The University of Louisville, 2005 BCS National Champions</span>

"Whether you think you can do a thing, or can't do a thing, you are right". - Henry Ford

- Murph1 - 04-28-2005 08:56 PM

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:

We now have more BCS games, the Big East still has two Top 20 schools and we are still over the largest TV market in the country.  It is up to the Big East leadership to take advantage of what we have and be proactive.
The ACC wanted Miami and decided they wanted Miami bad enough to handle Miami's carry on baggage. The idea was to solidfy the ACC as among the finest in college football. Ironically, the year before Miami/VT moved in, the ACC was #1 in the Sagarin rankings.

The ACC was looking out for #1 (itself) and after Miami. Please put away the John Swofford out to get you conspiracy theories. Any reasonable person would agree that isn't true.

The ACC got what it wanted. It picked up Miami, and increased the pie slice for each school. The ACC already had the highest payout in the land at nearly 10.5 million each ... after expansion those slices are nearly 12.5 million each (IIRC).
I atually could have lived with it if the ACC had in fact only taken Miami. The Big East still would have been weakened, but having the combo of Va Tech and Louisvile, along with Pitt and WVU would have made the Big East's BCS status less tenuous, IMHO. It also would have brought a tad more sanity to the geographic footprint.

I also can appreciate Duke and UNC's desire to keep the staus quo and oriiginally vote against ACC expansion. They knew they had a good thing as basketball powers in a 9-team conference and didn't want to rock that boat.

- Jackson1011 - 04-28-2005 09:28 PM

Quote:I agree the 9th member will need to be added only because of their football quality, after they meet the academic standards (whoever that may be at the time).
But Brista21, we (the Big East) have some work to do. You need to forget about that "tradition" stuff for now. When you beat teams like Army, Temple (and Princeton), the rest of the country says "so what".

-- This is probably in area were it is going to take some time for the fans of the BE football schools to get used to each other...basically we have four schools with traditions of playing teams from a certain region...two other schools with different traditions of playing different teams and two school with really not tradition at all....

-- playing Army (regardless of there win /loss record) is going to be a big draw for any Eastern team...I could live with Rutgers doing that if the other non confernence games where of high quality....but I would forget the Princeton game...playing IAAs is always a bad idea unless there are no other alternatives

-- I think it will be intersting to see what course the BE takes when it comes to a 9th member....do we add the best football program available? Is creating a partner for USF a priority? Would it be more wise to for the BE to add a football member from another big eastern market to reinforce that part of our BCS argument?

-- Up to this point it seems the BE has been ahead of the BCS curve...while many fans and media people wanted the league to expand to 12...it seems keeping the league small and compact as worked to our advantage as well as keeping control of most of the northeastern markets....its will be GREAT if Temple could finally turn its football program around or Nova would suddenly make the jump up (ala Uconn)....adding a competitve football school in Philly might solidify our position for good

jackson