CSNbbs
MERGED Ballparks threads- Lawsuit filed to stop Ballpark - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Team Talk (/forum-432.html)
+----- Forum: UTEP (/forum-454.html)
+----- Thread: MERGED Ballparks threads- Lawsuit filed to stop Ballpark (/thread-591643.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

MERGED Ballparks threads- Lawsuit filed to stop Ballpark - Fitbud - 10-05-2012 12:52 PM

Former El Paso mayor sues to stop demolition of City Hall

By Cindy Ramirez / El Paso Times
Posted: 10/05/2012 11:07:55 AM MDT

Reporter
Cindy Ramirez

Former city mayor Ray Salazar and two other El Paso residents have filed a lawsuit in federal court to stop the demolition of City Hall.
Salazar, El Paso's mayor from 1977 to 1979, and David Ochoa and Jesus B. Ochoa, are plaintiffs in the suit filed Thursday against the City of El Paso, Mayor John Cook, City Manager Joyce Wilson and city Reps. Cortney Niland, Steve Ortega, Ann Morgan Lilly, Michiel Noe and Susie Byrd.
The suit asks for a permanent injunction ordering the city to stop with its plan to demolish City Hall, and to allow voters to decide whether to move forward with building a ballpark at the site.
City of El Paso spokeswoman Julie Lozano said the city doesn't comment on pending litigation.
Salazar has participated in the "Occupy City Hall" movement that opposes the demolition of City Hall and the Insights El Paso Science Center to build a $50 million Triple-A baseball stadium.
He's part of the Coalition for Responsive Government, which believes voters should have participated in the ballpark decision.
On Sept. 11, Salazar also also filed a notice of intent to recall South-West city Rep. Cortney Niland with the city clerk.
Salazar has until November to 385 signatures of register voters in Niland's district--20 percent of the voters who cast ballots in the last municipal election for that office.
If Salazar is able to collect the required signatures in 60 days, the question of whether to recall Niland will go on the May
Advertisement

2013 ballot. Niland was elected into office in 2011.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/newupdated/ci_21706642/former-el-paso-mayor-sues-stop-demolition-city

RE: Lawsuit filed to stop Ballpark - RUNVSFD MINER - 10-05-2012 11:33 PM

Another aszhole who thinks he (and two others), speaks for the rest of us. IF they care so much about the city, why don't they go volunteer, clean parks, remove wall grafitti, coach youth teams, or help old people cross the stree.. nm on that last one.

RE: Lawsuit filed to stop Ballpark - Pyrizzo - 10-06-2012 07:07 PM

I knew someone would try to file a lawsuit. They always do.

RE: Lawsuit filed to stop Ballpark - Fitbud - 10-08-2012 09:46 AM

Yeah. This was what I predicted.

Because City Council bungled this deal from the start, the stadium will be marred in legal trouble from the start.

It's going to get very ugly.

RE: Lawsuit filed to stop Ballpark - chuwy9 - 10-08-2012 10:04 AM

So what effect will this have on the schedule to build the stadium?

Personally, I don't see this stadium being built. Hope Im very wrong.

RE: Lawsuit filed to stop Ballpark - Fitbud - 10-08-2012 11:52 AM

It may or may not stop the building of the stadium. However, there is a possibility that the lawsuit can delay it enough that the team would have to be purchased and kept in Tucson for another year. Or that the league does not approve the sale, or that the owners choose not to purchase the team after all.

Last night's ABC 7 Extra - Fitbud - 10-08-2012 01:49 PM

Yesterday on 7 extra, there was a discussion about the proposed ballpark and multipurpose arena and how the majority of that work will be done by out of town contractors.

Apparently, there was a meeting recently where Joyce Wilson admitted as much.

If the bond passes, where will the proposed multipurpose arena be located?

I've hear that they want to demolish the Abraham Chavez theater and convention center and put it there.

RE: Last night's ABC 7 Extra - zyxwvutsru - 10-08-2012 04:36 PM

It wont be at the chavez and convention center...but will be downtown somewhere.

RE: Lawsuit filed to stop Ballpark - zyxwvutsru - 10-08-2012 04:40 PM

My favorite part is where the petitioners want an injunction because they didn't get to vote on the demolition of city hall. Obviously, the former mayor needs to take a refresher in his civics class, because as citizens, we vote on our representatives to make decisions like this for us. while screaming for democracy, it's ironic that Salazar is actually stopping democracy by filing the injunction.

RE: Lawsuit filed to stop Ballpark - mistabinks - 10-08-2012 07:52 PM

These make for mildly amusing online stories and dialogue. I predict it will not have much of an impact in the real world. Just like the dozens of citizens who are against the demolition of City Hall. Progress baby!

RE: Lawsuit filed to stop Ballpark - RUNVSFD MINER - 10-08-2012 10:08 PM

Irony, so-called citizens who do not want higher taxes, cost taxpayers money due to bullshet lawsuit. Hypocrates.

RE: Lawsuit filed to stop Ballpark - Fitbud - 10-09-2012 10:06 AM

(10-08-2012 04:40 PM)zyxwvutsru Wrote:  My favorite part is where the petitioners want an injunction because they didn't get to vote on the demolition of city hall. Obviously, the former mayor needs to take a refresher in his civics class, because as citizens, we vote on our representatives to make decisions like this for us. while screaming for democracy, it's ironic that Salazar is actually stopping democracy by filing the injunction.

While what you say isn't incorrect, we must remember that it is also within the rights of the citizens to protest these kinds of moves. They can petition the government for action and even recall people that have been elected into office.

We shouldn't applaud the part of government that allows us to elect representative but at the same time dismiss our rights to petition and recall government officials or even to seek legal action against them.

RE: Last night's ABC 7 Extra - Fitbud - 10-09-2012 10:18 AM

(10-08-2012 04:36 PM)zyxwvutsru Wrote:  It wont be at the chavez and convention center...but will be downtown somewhere.

According to the renditions of the El Paso revitalization project, it does indeed show a multipurpose arena in the location currently occupied by the El Paso Convention Center and Abraham Chavez theater.

If this bond passes and City Council does not inform the public that they plan to demolish the Convention Center to make room for a new arena, they risk starting another fire storm.

RE: Last night's ABC 7 Extra - zyxwvutsru - 10-09-2012 11:25 AM

(10-09-2012 10:18 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 04:36 PM)zyxwvutsru Wrote:  It wont be at the chavez and convention center...but will be downtown somewhere.

According to the renditions of the El Paso revitalization project, it does indeed show a multipurpose arena in the location currently occupied by the El Paso Convention Center and Abraham Chavez theater.

If this bond passes and City Council does not inform the public that they plan to demolish the Convention Center to make room for a new arena, they risk starting another fire storm.

I don't give two sh1ts about the El Paso revitalization project renditions. Renditions change so often it could give you whiplash. And I don't give two sh1ts about City Council and your crying wolf prematurely about something that may happen. You may one day have a point, that doesn't mean its going to happen.

RE: Last night's ABC 7 Extra - randaddyminer - 10-09-2012 07:33 PM

(10-08-2012 01:49 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Yesterday on 7 extra, there was a discussion about the proposed ballpark and multipurpose arena and how the majority of that work will be done by out of town contractors.

I've hear that they want to demolish the Abraham Chavez theater and convention center and put it there.

hey I thought you only opposed the stadium because it would replace city hall, now you're opposing the arena because it would replace another building. Fitcrud, get a life, tell us the truth on why you are against progress, your "tearing city hall down" argument has lost all merit now.

RE: Lawsuit filed to stop Ballpark - RUNVSFD MINER - 10-09-2012 07:57 PM

(10-09-2012 10:06 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 04:40 PM)zyxwvutsru Wrote:  My favorite part is where the petitioners want an injunction because they didn't get to vote on the demolition of city hall. Obviously, the former mayor needs to take a refresher in his civics class, because as citizens, we vote on our representatives to make decisions like this for us. while screaming for democracy, it's ironic that Salazar is actually stopping democracy by filing the injunction.

While what you say isn't incorrect, we must remember that it is also within the rights of the citizens to protest these kinds of moves. They can petition the government for action and even recall people that have been elected into office.

We shouldn't applaud the part of government that allows us to elect representative but at the same time dismiss our rights to petition and recall government officials or even to seek legal action against them.

If we listened to nutjobs every time they had a point to make.
[Image: Edinburgh_nutjob.jpg]

RE: Lawsuit filed to stop Ballpark - Fitbud - 10-10-2012 09:38 AM

Here is one such news story that says that City Hall can be renovated for 12 million.

Shubert said included in that $12 million estimate is fixing the main entrance, which functions as a wind tunnel on blustery days.

"It gets so bad the guards actually have to close the main entrance and let people in other doors," said Shubert.

One of City Hall's main issues remains its outdated fire alarm system. In May, the fire department conducted a risk assessment of hundreds of downtown structures. City Hall received one of the highest risk level ratings, a level 3 out of a possible level 4. It was deemed "moderate risk and moderate hazard."

Shubert said City Hall is bigger than it needs to be, with a lot of wasted, vacant space. Moving City Hall to smaller buildings would be a more efficient use of space.

"The problem is, you have a vacant area but you still have to feed utilities to it. You have to heat it, cool it and deal with the plumbing," said Shubert.

'The cast iron piping in this building is 30 years old and it's rotten," added Shubert.

But beyond the necessities, "It's not an iconic building; it's not built like you would build a city hall. It's built like a hotel," said Shubert.

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/news/city-will-spend-millions-repairs-city-hall-buildin/nSDN6/

RE: Last night's ABC 7 Extra - Fitbud - 10-10-2012 09:43 AM

(10-09-2012 07:33 PM)randaddyminer Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 01:49 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Yesterday on 7 extra, there was a discussion about the proposed ballpark and multipurpose arena and how the majority of that work will be done by out of town contractors.

hey I thought you only opposed the stadium because it would replace city hall, now you're opposing the arena because it would replace another building. Fitcrud, get a life, tell us the truth on why you are against progress, your "tearing city hall down" argument has lost all merit now.

On the contrary. I do not oppose the arena. I am simply pointing out that if city council does not inform the public that they plan to demolish the Convention Center to build this stadium, they risk another back lash.

If we want the city to get behind something like this, they need to be given the heads up.

All heck will break loose if the city votes for this without knowing that it is going to mean demolishing the Civic Center.

RE: Lawsuit filed to stop Ballpark - mistabinks - 10-10-2012 03:55 PM

I seriously think you are reading what you want to read. That link makes my point - not yours.

RE: Last night's ABC 7 Extra - Pyrizzo - 10-10-2012 06:29 PM

(10-10-2012 09:43 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 07:33 PM)randaddyminer Wrote:  

On the contrary. I do not oppose the arena. I am simply pointing out that if city council does not inform the public that they plan to demolish the Convention Center to build this stadium, they risk another back lash.

If we want the city to get behind something like this, they need to be given the heads up.

All heck will break loose if the city votes for this without knowing that it is going to mean demolishing the Civic Center.

You do realize that there is no room in downtown right? Things have to be demolished for new things to be built. Or are you too retarded to understand that? And I guarantee you and your cronies will be opposed to it...I know because I saw a poll in the el paso times.