CSNbbs
OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this (/thread-609562.html)

Pages: 1 2

OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - SgtGoldenEagle - 12-27-2012 10:31 AM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1454946-colorado-state-and-new-mexico-athletic-directors-caught-plotting-against-mwc

This is interesting and could be a serious problem for the future of the Big East or whatever the name is going to be. I have to admit I am glad we didn't get in the Big East because I don't think that USM with it's financial problems could afford the problems that seem to be threatening the life of the conference that was once the Big East.

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - ninernation1989 - 12-27-2012 10:39 AM

we know you want out and you're "stuck in the CUSA".... LET IT GO!!

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - b0ndsj0ns - 12-27-2012 10:46 AM

Which part of this should I be concerned about? I hope you aren't talking about that crazy idea of New Mexico and CSU starting a new league and convincing BYU and Boise to join. That's not happening. There are far too many issues involved with forming a new league.

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - SgtGoldenEagle - 12-27-2012 10:48 AM

(12-27-2012 10:39 AM)ninernation1989 Wrote:  we know you want out and you're "stuck in the CUSA".... LET IT GO!!

well nice try, but if you read my post on the topic you will find I have often expressed that I am glad to stay in C-USA many times. I have ... oh never mind just go look up my post and see for yourself.

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - MinerInWisconsin - 12-27-2012 11:04 AM

Its hinted in this article that the rumor of CSU and UNM trying to start a new league was really a smoke screen to get CBS to work on the MWC tv deal. If that was the reason then they were successful.

When that rumor 1st came out my first thought was that CSU would not do anything without Wyoming and AFA, so I was skeptical right off the bat.

If CSU and UNM are serious about wanting to have BYU and Boise St join them in a new league, it would likely be an attempt to dump some of the other MWC teams, gain SMU and Houston too, and create what they think would be a more valuable product for tv. And truthfully, if a league was formed like this:

UNM, CSU, AFA, Boise St, BYU, SDSU, Houston, SMU, Memphis, Fresno St, UNLV, plus a 12th team

you would have all the best markets out of the current MWC plus some of the best markets scheduled to join the nBE plus good football for the most part and very good basketball. In other words, something to sell with very little fear of defections.

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - MechaKnight - 12-27-2012 11:05 AM

So basically Colorado State and New Mexico think they can form a new conference and poach from the MWC and BE? I bet CSU came up with this idea shortly after their state legalized weed.

If Boise, SDSU, Houston, and SMU all left and joined the MWC the Big East would still have UConn, Temple, Navy, ECU, UCF, USF, Cincy, Memphis, and Tulane. If eventually UConn and/or Cincy leave for the ACC then we will still be able to backfill with teams from the MAC or CUSA.

We all understand that the Big East isn't a power conference anymore, but that's doesn't mean it's going to collapse and send all of us into financial ruin, despite what CUSA fans might want.

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - MinerInWisconsin - 12-27-2012 11:07 AM

(12-27-2012 11:05 AM)MechaKnight Wrote:  So basically Colorado State and New Mexico think they can form a new conference and poach from the MWC and BE? I bet CSU came up with this idea shortly after their state legalized weed.

If Boise, SDSU, Houston, and SMU all left and joined the MWC the Big East would still have UConn, Temple, Navy, ECU, UCF, USF, Cincy, Memphis, and Tulane. If eventually UConn and/or Cincy leave for the ACC then we will still be able to backfill with teams from the MAC or CUSA.

We all understand that the Big East isn't a power conference anymore, but that's doesn't mean it's going to collapse and send all of us into financial ruin, despite what CUSA fans might want.

That was funny. Good "stuff". 02-13-banana

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - paco - 12-27-2012 11:13 AM

(12-27-2012 10:31 AM)SgtGoldenEagle Wrote:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1454946-colorado-state-and-new-mexico-athletic-directors-caught-plotting-against-mwc

This is interesting and could be a serious problem for the future of the Big East or whatever the name is going to be. I have to admit I am glad we didn't get in the Big East because I don't think that USM with it's financial problems could afford the problems that seem to be threatening the life of the conference that was once the Big East.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Interesting article. "11th hour leverage to get CBSSports to
renegotiate the MWC TV deal." IMO CSU/UNM threatening to
leave the MWC had the hoped for results----a renegotiated TV
media contract.

If the MW offers Boise State a special deal, then that special deal also
ought to be offered to BYU...

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - knighthead1 - 12-27-2012 11:44 AM

Look every single member of the nBe is concerned for the future of the BE. It will never be what we hoped it would be but it is a quarter step forward. As a UCF fan I could care less who is in it as long USF is.

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - oldtiger - 12-27-2012 12:20 PM

When potatoes are being prepped to be sold, they go through a machine that filters them by size and quality. That potatoes sometimes require several passes through the filters to be grouped properly.

Isn't that what we're going through with realignment?

It may take another couple of passes through the realignment filters before like-university programs are grouped correctly. Although the money involved now is higher, many of us have been going through those filters for 4 or 5 decades.

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - Kronke - 12-27-2012 12:28 PM

Two schools that know they are getting left out, grasping at straws.

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - SgtGoldenEagle - 12-27-2012 12:36 PM

(12-27-2012 12:20 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  When potatoes are being prepped to be sold, they go through a machine that filters them by size and quality. That potatoes sometimes require several passes through the filters to be grouped properly.

It may take another couple of passes through the realignment filters before like-university programs are grouped correctly. Although the money involved now is higher, many of us have been going through those filters for 4 or 5 decades.

interesting comparison. The way I view it is we are going through a cycle in sports (nationally in other ways as well) where greed and self preservation are the normal. Teams like Alabama, Southern Cal, Notre Dame, etc. feel they can get more of the pie if they remove the smaller players from the table, or at least reduce the scraps thrown to them. Others like the mid-majors (c-usa and the big east or whatever name they use) are fighting for self preservation and a seat at the table in one of the big time conferences like the SEC, Pac12, and the others which we all know set the terms and conditions of the power structure. It is also helpful to the power brokers, that the smaller want to be one of them conferences start battling each other and some of the more aggreviating thorns get killed off. I know to the SEC schools around them, USM is one of those thorns and UAB is a problem to Alabama because they only want Auburn to be their inferior competition and the others in the state are suppose to be on the FCS level or below.

The truth is the tv viewers seem to hold the ultimate say and in this situation, I really don't see much more than the powerful getting more powerful, and the not as powerful losing ground.

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - HerdZoned - 12-27-2012 12:50 PM

(12-27-2012 11:05 AM)MechaKnight Wrote:  If eventually UConn and/or Cincy leave for the ACC then we will still be able to backfill with teams from the MAC or CUSA.

No one has yet to tell me why any team from CUSA would spend 10-12 million dollars just to have the same access in football and basketball. It makes absolutly no sense what-so-ever. And not every school has 10-12 million dollars laying around.

And MAC schools you can forget about. None of them will move unless its an invite to the B10. And we all know that is never going to happen

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - oldtiger - 12-27-2012 01:02 PM

(12-27-2012 12:50 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(12-27-2012 11:05 AM)MechaKnight Wrote:  If eventually UConn and/or Cincy leave for the ACC then we will still be able to backfill with teams from the MAC or CUSA.

No one has yet to tell me why any team from CUSA would spend 10-12 million dollars just to have the same access in football and basketball. It makes absolutly no sense what-so-ever. And not every school has 10-12 million dollars laying around.

And MAC schools you can forget about. None of them will move unless its an invite to the B10. And we all know that is never going to happen

I don't think anyone has addressed your comment because it's pretty obvious that nobody is going to pay the same entrance fee to the current BE that has been paid previously if discussed departures occur. I can't imagine the new conference asking as much. Even in today's inflated conference membership value, reality is reality.

Exit fees are what they are and programs that have good reason to want to leave their current conference home will have to deal with them as they can.

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - MechaKnight - 12-27-2012 01:27 PM

(12-27-2012 01:02 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  

I don't think anyone has addressed your comment because it's pretty obvious that nobody is going to pay the same entrance fee to the current BE that has been paid previously if discussed departures occur. I can't imagine the new conference asking as much. Even in today's inflated conference membership value, reality is reality.

Exit fees are what they are and programs that have good reason to want to leave their current conference home will have to deal with them as they can.

True. We don't know what the new Big East entrance fee will be, but they're not going to make it so high as to deter potential members from joining.

Also, back to the Marshall fan's comment, there is more to conference membership than access to a BCS bowl. The Sun Belt has the same level of BCS access as CUSA, but that didn't stop FIU, FAU, UNT, and MTSU from joining.

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - 99Tiger - 12-27-2012 01:29 PM

(12-27-2012 12:36 PM)SgtGoldenEagle Wrote:  
(12-27-2012 12:20 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  When potatoes are being prepped to be sold, they go through a machine that filters them by size and quality. That potatoes sometimes require several passes through the filters to be grouped properly.

interesting comparison. The way I view it is we are going through a cycle in sports (nationally in other ways as well) where greed and self preservation are the normal. Teams like Alabama, Southern Cal, Notre Dame, etc. feel they can get more of the pie if they remove the smaller players from the table, or at least reduce the scraps thrown to them. Others like the mid-majors (c-usa and the big east or whatever name they use) are fighting for self preservation and a seat at the table in one of the big time conferences like the SEC, Pac12, and the others which we all know set the terms and conditions of the power structure. It is also helpful to the power brokers, that the smaller want to be one of them conferences start battling each other and some of the more aggreviating thorns get killed off. I know to the SEC schools around them, USM is one of those thorns and UAB is a problem to Alabama because they only want Auburn to be their inferior competition and the others in the state are suppose to be on the FCS level or below.

The truth is the tv viewers seem to hold the ultimate say and in this situation, I really don't see much more than the powerful getting more powerful, and the not as powerful losing ground.

IMO, you two just said the same thing from different vantage points...oldtiger from an unemotional 10,000-ft level and Sgt from the ground level of a school fighting to maintain a spot at the table.

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - Kronke - 12-27-2012 01:32 PM

Because it isn't the same access. Your argument is similar to saying why would an ACC school go to the SEC, when they have just as good of an opportunity to make the MNC in the ACC as they do in the SEC. We both know that is BS.

If the Western division comes to fruition like nBE fans want it to, the nBE will take the GO5 bid more often than any other GO5 conference. I'll hold off on saying more often than the rest of the GO5 combined, but it could very well end up that way.

Also, our (as well as any other school's) fans would rather see a nBE conference slate than a bunch of FCS startups and former Sun Belt schools, meaning more revenue across the board.

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - Ned Low - 12-27-2012 01:44 PM

I like Bleacher Report... even though they are a terrible news outlet.

ECU did not play BSU to start the 2010 season; we played Tulsa. The last time ECU played the Broncos was in a bowl game back in 2007.

CSU and UNM may be looking at joining the "new conference"... if so, I hope that they are bringing UNLV and Fresno State with them. If this occurs, look for either Nevada, Tulsa or BYU to join them. Also, as crazy as it may sound, don't count out UTSA.

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - PGPirate - 12-27-2012 01:53 PM

You had me at Bleacher Report. WHY oh WHY do people think they are a legitimate website? I could source individual post on this message board, and it would be just as legitimate.

RE: OK future Big East members, tell me your opinion of this - ultraviolet - 12-27-2012 02:29 PM

(12-27-2012 10:31 AM)SgtGoldenEagle Wrote:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1454946-colorado-state-and-new-mexico-athletic-directors-caught-plotting-against-mwc

Does the ID10T that wrote that even proof read? One major fail in that he cites the ECU/Boise game in 2010 that drew a 7.3 share. Huh? That was the Va. Tech game at Fedex field. ECU/Boise happened in 2007 at the Hawaii bowl. Thats 3rd grade level writing there. Second, New Mexico and Colorado State forming a new conference? Reminds me of the flea running up the elephants behind with rape on his mind.