CSNbbs
Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions (/thread-611737.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - baruna falls - 01-07-2013 08:55 AM

per Andy Katz. This is only if Big East decides to expand. Also, SMU says no to MWC. Southern MIss and Rice also mentioned
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/71927/3-point-shot-florida-without-erik-murphy

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - JustAnotherAustinOwl - 01-07-2013 08:59 AM

(01-07-2013 08:55 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  per Andy Katz. This is only if Big East decides to expand.
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/71927/3-point-shot-florida-without-erik-murphy

"Rice and Southern Miss were also tossed around."

Surprising. Good to hear our name tossed around, though I don't have any idea what my preference is. I'm happy with the current future CUSA West. But who knows if it will still exist next year. Or next week.

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - baruna falls - 01-07-2013 09:02 AM

(01-07-2013 08:59 AM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 08:55 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  per Andy Katz. This is only if Big East decides to expand.

Surprising. Good to hear our name tossed around, though I don't have any idea what my preference is. I'm happy with the current future CUSA West. But who knows if it will still exist next year. Or next week.

Adding Rice to the Big East would be a good add. Great academics and competitive football. Would Rice like to stay in the same conf as Houston and SMU?

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - wh49er - 01-07-2013 09:23 AM

UMass is under alot of pressure from their faculty to drop down to FCS and reduce costs. I don't see it happening.

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - MUHERD76 - 01-07-2013 09:28 AM

Interesting.

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - Niner National - 01-07-2013 09:28 AM

(01-07-2013 09:23 AM)wh49er Wrote:  UMass is under alot of pressure from their faculty to drop down to FCS and reduce costs. I don't see it happening.

I don't think it really matters what the faculty thinks unless that faculty is within the AD.

I had several teachers speak against us getting a football team. That didn't matter at all.

UMass is never going to be a big draw in Boston. They really need to improve and expand their on campus stadium. Few students are going to drive 100 miles to Boston to watch a game. A nice looking 25,000 seat stadium will be sufficient for a program like UMass.

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - JustAnotherAustinOwl - 01-07-2013 09:37 AM

(01-07-2013 09:02 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  

Adding Rice to the Big East would be a good add. Great academics and competitive football. Would Rice like to stay in the same conf as Houston and SMU?

I can only speak for myself, but yes, other things being equal, it would be nice to stay with them since we have history with them, nearly a century in the case of SMU. Having said that, I'm OK with UH being in a different conference so long as we continue to play each other OOC, and so long as we're in roughly equal conferences. SMU, even though we have the history, I don't have the same emotional connection to. Don't know why, and that's not a knock on SMU, just my personal feeling. So to answer your question, yes, I'd like to be in the same conference with them (and Tulane) but I'm also OK with a strong and stable CUSA West or the MWC. Basically I want Rice to be in the best situation for Rice...

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - Orange County Owl - 01-07-2013 09:38 AM

(01-07-2013 09:02 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  Adding Rice to the Big East would be a good add. Great academics and competitive football. Would Rice like to stay in the same conf as Houston and SMU?

I'm guessing that we'd like to remain tied to peer athletic institutions, but - quite frankly - there are probably benefits to having Rice/UH in separate leagues.

That being said ... if the economics worked and we received an invite, I'm sure we'd obviously accept it. The MWC also holds some appeal (particularly for me living out in SoCal).

Much of our fan base (myself included) remains skeptical that we'll receive an invite from either league - but I will say that I'm slightly more optimistic than I was two weeks ago.

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - ECUgradstudent - 01-07-2013 09:39 AM

Would not be suprised if ECU is one of the ones tossing USM name around.

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - ECUgradstudent - 01-07-2013 09:40 AM

(01-07-2013 09:23 AM)wh49er Wrote:  UMass is under alot of pressure from their faculty to drop down to FCS and reduce costs. I don't see it happening.

I wonder if UMASS might join as a non football member to go along with Navy being a football only member? That would allow them to go back to FCS if they wanted to?

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - eagleriffic - 01-07-2013 09:45 AM

UMass should drop down. Same with Idaho.

Interesting to see SMU saying no to the mtn. I think UTEP if offered makes the move to thw mtn west.

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - Attackcoog - 01-07-2013 09:45 AM

(01-07-2013 09:38 AM)Orange County Owl Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 09:02 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  Adding Rice to the Big East would be a good add. Great academics and competitive football. Would Rice like to stay in the same conf as Houston and SMU?

I'm guessing that we'd like to remain tied to peer athletic institutions, but - quite frankly - there are probably benefits to having Rice/UH in separate leagues.

That being said ... if the economics worked and we received an invite, I'm sure we'd obviously accept it. The MWC also holds some appeal (particularly for me living out in SoCal).

Much of our fan base (myself included) remains skeptical that we'll receive an invite from either league - but I will say that I'm slightly more optimistic than I was two weeks ago.

I could see how Rice could be a choice for an invite from whatever conference Houston doesnt go to. If Houston and SMU stay in the Big East, Rice, UTEP, and maybe UTSA or N Texas all could be attractive targets for the MW to access Texas. If Houston and SMU go to the MW, Rice and UTSA as urban universities, could be interesting travel partners for Tulane.

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - paintedblue - 01-07-2013 09:46 AM

(01-07-2013 09:28 AM)Niner National Wrote:  

I don't think it really matters what the faculty thinks unless that faculty is within the AD.

I had several teachers speak against us getting a football team. That didn't matter at all.

UMass is never going to be a big draw in Boston. They really need to improve and expand their on campus stadium. Few students are going to drive 100 miles to Boston to watch a game. A nice looking 25,000 seat stadium will be sufficient for a program like UMass.

UMass had an agreement to renovate McGuirk Stadium which included a new football training facility, new press box, and expanding from 17K seats to 25k seats. The expansion of seating has been deleated from the palns and the renovated stadiun will hold 17K, plus maybe a few hundred more if they squeeze some suites in under the press boxes.

I don't know how serious this proposition is, but I assume they would have to make Gilette Stadium the permanrnt home. I think there is a lot of political pressure on the President not to put much more resources into football. I would think the President would have the say over the AD.

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - MU42 - 01-07-2013 09:51 AM

(01-07-2013 09:40 AM)ECUgradstudent Wrote:  

I wonder if UMASS might join as a non football member to go along with Navy being a football only member? That would allow them to go back to FCS if they wanted to?

Doubt it. Navy isn't going to join the Big East at this point. UMass though would likely be an all sports member, they are probably trying to keep some sort of eastern team in the Big EAST. Once UConn leaves the only true east school left will be Temple. Wow. What a difference a year makes.

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - ultraviolet - 01-07-2013 09:54 AM

You can't say you're serious about football and not mention Southern Miss.

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - JustAnotherAustinOwl - 01-07-2013 09:56 AM

(01-07-2013 09:45 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 09:38 AM)Orange County Owl Wrote:  

I could see how Rice could be a choice for an invite from whatever conference Houston doesnt go to. If Houston and SMU stay in the Big East, Rice, UTEP, and maybe UTSA or N Texas all could be attractive targets for the MW to access Texas. If Houston and SMU go to the MW, Rice and UTSA as urban universities, could be interesting travel partners for Tulane.

The only reason I can see the BE inviting Rice (assuming UH and SMU stay) is to lock the MWC out of Houston completely.

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - pirateradio97 - 01-07-2013 10:07 AM

Navy will be in for football only in 2015

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - baruna falls - 01-07-2013 10:07 AM

(01-07-2013 09:51 AM)MU42 Wrote:  

Doubt it. Navy isn't going to join the Big East at this point. UMass though would likely be an all sports member, they are probably trying to keep some sort of eastern team in the Big EAST. Once UConn leaves the only true east school left will be Temple. Wow. What a difference a year makes.

Why do you say that Navy is not joining the BE? Their AD confirmed that they were still committed to the BE last week. Has there been another statement from them?

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - wh49er - 01-07-2013 10:39 AM

(01-07-2013 09:28 AM)Niner National Wrote:  I don't think it really matters what the faculty thinks unless that faculty is within the AD.

We've never ran $4 million in the red. The shouts get louder when this happens and budgets are tight.

RE: Tulsa and UMASS mentioned as possible Big East additions - wh49er - 01-07-2013 10:41 AM

(01-07-2013 09:40 AM)ECUgradstudent Wrote:  I wonder if UMASS might join as a non football member to go along with Navy being a football only member? That would allow them to go back to FCS if they wanted to?

Not with the Catholics dropping out. As long as the A-10 has it's current members that is where all of UMass non-football sports will be.