CSNbbs
#18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 (/thread-614991.html)

#18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - waltgreenberg - 01-24-2013 11:53 AM

Baseball America ranks the Owls at #18 and Eagles #23 in their preseason poll, which from my perspective, appears to be the most accute one yet (with Louisville and Mississippi State much higher ranked than in either the Perfect Game or Collegiate Baseball poll)...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/col...14575.html

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - shiftyeagle - 01-24-2013 12:03 PM

Nice! Expecting good things in Hattiesburg this year!

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - EagNBran - 01-24-2013 12:03 PM

State and Louisville aren't that good. I'd take either of us in a 3 game series with them any week.

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - eagleriffic - 01-24-2013 12:05 PM

Have my fingers crossed that we will be outstanding in baseball this year!

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - shiftyeagle - 01-24-2013 12:07 PM

(01-24-2013 12:03 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  State and Louisville aren't that good. I'd take either of us in a 3 game series with them any week.

Been a while since we have beaten State. Just saying.

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - EaglehasLanded - 01-24-2013 01:24 PM

(01-24-2013 12:07 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  
(01-24-2013 12:03 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  State and Louisville aren't that good. I'd take either of us in a 3 game series with them any week.

Can't stand State's coach, Cohen. He stopped playing us twice a year and we only play once in Jackson each year now. He also loads up his schedule with nothing but home games against generally weak competition.

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - DaSaintFan - 01-24-2013 02:44 PM

(01-24-2013 01:24 PM)EaglehasLanded Wrote:  

Can't stand State's coach, Cohen. He stopped playing us twice a year and we only play once in Jackson each year now. He also loads up his schedule with nothing but home games against generally weak competition.

You mean he takes the Duke Basketball idea? 05-stirthepot

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - ninernation1989 - 01-24-2013 02:52 PM

This is awesome I am looking forward to the baseball next year

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - gdunn - 01-24-2013 03:35 PM

I hope we're extremely competitive in Baseball this year.. I wouldn't mind another trip back to Omaha.

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - waltgreenberg - 01-24-2013 05:53 PM

He's also high on Tulane, given their upperclass/Senior-laden squad. Here's Aaron Fitt's responses to two C-USA related questions during his online chat...

Quote:Baseball Guy (Tx): Really looking forward to Friday nights in C-USA this year (Hoffman, Blair, Moll, Kubitza, Pierce, Napoli, Lively). Who are your top 3 for C-USA Pitcher of the Year? 2- Which 3 are your best pro prospects? Thanks

Aaron Fitt: Good call — that's a nice group. For C-USA POY, I think it's Pierce, Kubitza and Blair. For long-term prospect, I'll go with Hoffman, Kubitza and Blair. But I like all of those guys.

Quote:Chigoy (New Orleans): What are your thought on Tulane? Pitching staff looks like it will be a strength this year. Can the bats be solid as well?? Regionals and farther a possibility??

Aaron Fitt: Tulane is interesting. Assuming they can finally stay healthy, the pitching staff looks a lot deeper this year. I'd love to see Randy LeBlanc re-establish himself, but it sounds like his stuff was down in the fall. The Green Wave is excited about Anthony Rizzotti, who was a big-deal recruit for TCU who didn't pan out and now gets a second chance in D-I, potentially as a weekend starter. You've got some nice veterans with Byo and Napoli and Facundus to anchor the staff, and a quality sophomore in Massey — it's got a chance to be a good group. And I actually kinda like the lineup, now that Cannizaro, Middleton and Boudreaux are established seniors at key up-the-middle spots. In fact, this lineup could have eight upperclassmen, and experience really matters in college baseball. Yes, I certainly think it's a regionals team.

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - Thegoldstandard - 01-24-2013 06:05 PM

(01-24-2013 05:53 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  He's also high on Tulane, given their upperclass/Senior-laden squad. Here's Aaron Fitt's responses to two C-USA related questions during his online chat...

Quote:Baseball Guy (Tx): Really looking forward to Friday nights in C-USA this year (Hoffman, Blair, Moll, Kubitza, Pierce, Napoli, Lively). Who are your top 3 for C-USA Pitcher of the Year? 2- Which 3 are your best pro prospects? Thanks

Aaron Fitt: Good call — that's a nice group. For C-USA POY, I think it's Pierce, Kubitza and Blair. For long-term prospect, I'll go with Hoffman, Kubitza and Blair. But I like all of those guys.

Quote:Chigoy (New Orleans): What are your thought on Tulane? Pitching staff looks like it will be a strength this year. Can the bats be solid as well?? Regionals and farther a possibility??

Aaron Fitt: Tulane is interesting. Assuming they can finally stay healthy, the pitching staff looks a lot deeper this year. I'd love to see Randy LeBlanc re-establish himself, but it sounds like his stuff was down in the fall. The Green Wave is excited about Anthony Rizzotti, who was a big-deal recruit for TCU who didn't pan out and now gets a second chance in D-I, potentially as a weekend starter. You've got some nice veterans with Byo and Napoli and Facundus to anchor the staff, and a quality sophomore in Massey — it's got a chance to be a good group. And I actually kinda like the lineup, now that Cannizaro, Middleton and Boudreaux are established seniors at key up-the-middle spots. In fact, this lineup could have eight upperclassmen, and experience really matters in college baseball. Yes, I certainly think it's a regionals team.
Everyone is always high on tulane. Every sport. But tulanes bb has slowly been weakening for years now.

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - waltgreenberg - 01-28-2013 08:49 AM

Wow, Eric "Stitchhead" Sorenson (Easton Baseball, College Baseball Today, and also writes periodically for ESPN) is usually much better than this. He just released his Top 298 for 2013 (I kid you not-- he actually ranked all D-I programs) in advance of his incredibly comprehensive conference writeups, and I must say that IMO even Collegiate Baseball's preseason poll has it more "right" than Stitchhead. While I can quibble with his ranking of Rice (#23, but still leading CUSA, though his writeup has inaccuracies),, what really blew me away was his rankings of UCF (#25) and Tulane (#53) ahead of USM (#66). That's just plain crazy, given that USM has Top 25 caliber returning talent (as all the other polls of acknowledged), whereas UCF has lost virtually it's entire offensive production from last season (5 of it's top 6 hitters, 65% of HRs, 90% stolen bases), as well as their two elite bullpen arms.

Regardless, here's his ranking...

http://blogs.eastonbaseball.com/collegeb...mment-7351

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - shiftyeagle - 01-28-2013 09:04 AM

(01-28-2013 08:49 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Wow, Eric "Stitchhead" Sorenson (Easton Baseball, College Baseball Today, and also writes periodically for ESPN) is usually much better than this. He just released his Top 298 for 2013 (I kid you not-- he actually ranked all D-I programs) in advance of his incredibly comprehensive conference writeups, and I must say that IMO even Collegiate Baseball's preseason poll has it more "right" than Stitchhead. While I can quibble with his ranking of Rice (#23, but still leading CUSA, though his writeup has inaccuracies),, what really blew me away was his rankings of UCF (#25) and Tulane (#53) ahead of USM (#66). That's just plain crazy, given that USM has Top 25 caliber returning talent (as all the other polls of acknowledged), whereas UCF has lost virtually it's entire offensive production from last season (5 of it's top 6 hitters, 65% of HRs, 90% stolen bases), as well as their two elite bullpen arms.

Regardless, here's his ranking...

http://blogs.eastonbaseball.com/collegeb...mment-7351

We were average to slightly above average all year last year. We did a lot of things not well. In some camps, respect is going to have to be earned by USM this season. I think we'll be up to the task.

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - TTT - 01-28-2013 09:05 AM

Not surprised one bit. Tulane and UCF are located in bigger markets. You gotta tag those schools and give them more press so you can get more readers on his website.

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - waltgreenberg - 01-28-2013 09:14 AM

(01-28-2013 09:05 AM)TTT Wrote:  Not surprised one bit. Tulane and UCF are located in bigger markets. You gotta tag those schools and give them more press so you can get more readers on his website.

I have much more respect for Eric Sorenson than that. (Ditto for Baseball America's Aaron Fitt and Perfect Game's Kendall Rogers.) Sorry, but that's just not how the college baseball polls work. This is not college football or basketball.

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - Bleacher Eagle - 01-28-2013 01:17 PM

That little crafty lefty they've got (Spanish name) has owned us the past couple of years. Unfortunately, I think he's still there. I'm sure we'll see him in Pearl.

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - waltgreenberg - 02-03-2013 04:32 PM

Here's a couple additional-- more obscure-- preseason polls with Rice ranked #15 and #16, respectively, and USM ranked #25 in one and one of 5 programs just missing the Top 25 cut in the other...

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/5853

http://collegebaseballnation.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-cbn-preseason-top-25-theyve-been.html

RE: #18 Rice, #23 USM Crack Baseball America's Preseason Top 25 - AtlantaEagle - 02-03-2013 04:51 PM

Good stuff. Always have liked & admired Rice baseball, no doubt the gold standard in C-USA baseball, & among the nation's elite programs.