CSNbbs
Realignment Summary - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Realignment Summary (/thread-622962.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Realignment Summary - Melky Cabrera - 03-09-2013 08:35 AM

For all of the hundreds of millions of dollars thrown around in entrance fees, exit fees, tournament credits, etc., what has been the result.

1. When the BCS began, there were 63 AQ football programs in 6 conferences. When the BCS moves into its new phase in 2014, there will be 65.

2. Winners? Utah, TCU, and Louisville have moved into the Power 5 from non-AQ leagues where they were in the 1990's.

3. Losers? Temple is the only program to lose its AQ status and that was not directly tied to realignment.

4. On the basketball side, there was a group of 5 basketball-only schools who were part of the Big East and were therefore members of a power conference. Today they have doubled their number and have formed their own power basketball conference with a TV contract richer than their Big East basketball conference. Winners? Marquette, DePaul, Butler, Xavier, and Creighton are now legitimate power conference players in basketball.

5. Cincinnati, UConn, South Florida, and a revitalized Temple are currently AQ members of Big East Football. Cincinnati and UConn have both represented The Big East in BCS bowls. 2013 will be their last hurrah as they will lose AQ status after that. So, hundreds of millions of dollars have been moved around essentially so that UConn, Temple, and Navy could be added to a group of former CUSA schools. Even the new name, "America 12", has the ring of Conference USA. Losers? UConn, Cincinnati, and USF not only lose their AQ football status but they lose their spots in a power basketball conference.

The more things change, the more they remain the same. With all of the rebranding, the college sports landscape remains essentially the same as it was 15 years ago with only a few exceptions.

RE: Realignment Summary - Tallgrass - 03-09-2013 09:18 AM

I think that for the time being, Cincy, UConn, and USF are big losers, having lost the C7, Madison Square Garden, BCS football status, and the Champs, Belk, and Pinstripe Bowls. However, I look for Cincy and UConn eventually in ACC and perhaps USF and, possibly, UCF when B1G adds two more teams. Cincy is really in a hard place, with crosstown Xavier now having Cincy's former Big East basketball.

New Mexico State and Idaho were losers. Maybe NM State recovers but I doubt Idaho does. They both mocked the SBC when they left; there is a lesson here.

Temple is a loser. It lost a good Atlantic-10 basketball conference, now diluted even further with C7 invitations. It is a loser in football as there is concern mid-week required home football games will hurt attendance badly and Nbe's low money TV contract is not sufficient to make up lost attendance.

Utah State and SJSU were big winners. Both are in the MWC. They easily could have been stranded on an island just like Idaho and NMSU.

ODU, Charlotte, FIU, FAU, UNT, UTSA, La Tech, and Middle Tennessee are winners, joining CUSA and moving up to being an equivalent to Nbe/A12 and MWC. These eight schools accomplished what the Nbe invitees failed to do. These eight schools "rebranded" themselves into the higher public recognition via the CUSA conference whereas Nbe continual deteoriation in status led to a failed effort at "rebranding" for the Nbe invitees. These new CUSA schools will now be competitors to Nbe schools on the field and in recruiting.

Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, TCU, West Virginia, Maryland, Utah, and Rutgers are big winners; all having enhanced their football conference affiliation with bigger conference payouts and bowl affiliations.

BYU enhanced its postion, making more ESPN appearances, tv money, and a whole wider distribution via BYU tv.

A bungling Nbe/A12 made Boise State a winner, with enhanced ESPN telecasts and potentially more tv monies within MWC.

The MWC is a winner having retained Boise State and getting its tv deal redone. MWC is now NonAQ's best conference.

C7 plus Creighton, Xavier, and Butler are winners, regaining the national prominence of the old Big East and grabbing a lucrative FOX contract and a jillion guaranteed tv appearances.

RE: Realignment Summary - lew240z - 03-09-2013 10:07 AM

Let's not forget the three schools that kicked of this round of realignment. NU, CU and UU are all winners.

RE: Realignment Summary - Attackcoog - 03-09-2013 10:24 AM

(03-09-2013 09:18 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  I think that for the time being, Cincy, UConn, and USF are big losers, having lost the C7, Madison Square Garden, BCS football status, and the Champs, Belk, and Pinstripe Bowls. However, I look for Cincy and UConn eventually in ACC and perhaps USF and, possibly, UCF when B1G adds two more teams. Cincy is really in a hard place, with crosstown Xavier now having Cincy's former Big East basketball.

New Mexico State and Idaho were losers. Maybe NM State recovers but I doubt Idaho does. They both mocked the SBC when they left; there is a lesson here.

Temple is a loser. It lost a good Atlantic-10 basketball conference, now diluted even further with C7 invitations. It is a loser in football as there is concern mid-week required home football games will hurt attendance badly and Nbe's low money TV contract is not sufficient to make up lost attendance.

Utah State and SJSU were big winners. Both are in the MWC. They easily could have been stranded on an island just like Idaho and NMSU.

ODU, Charlotte, FIU, FAU, UNT, UTSA, La Tech, and Middle Tennessee are winners, joining CUSA and moving up to being an equivalent to Nbe/A12 and MWC. These eight schools accomplished what the Nbe invitees failed to do. These eight schools "rebranded" themselves into the higher public recognition via the CUSA conference whereas Nbe continual deteoriation in status led to a failed effort at "rebranding" for the Nbe invitees. These new CUSA schools will now be competitors to Nbe schools on the field and in recruiting.

Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, TCU, West Virginia, Maryland, Utah, and Rutgers are big winners; all having enhanced their football conference affiliation with bigger conference payouts and bowl affiliations.

BYU enhanced its postion, making more ESPN appearances, tv money, and a whole wider distribution via BYU tv.

A bungling Nbe/A12 made Boise State a winner, with enhanced ESPN telecasts and potentially more tv monies within MWC.

The MWC is a winner having retained Boise State and getting its tv deal redone. MWC is now NonAQ's best conference.

C7 plus Creighton, Xavier, and Butler are winners, regaining the national prominence of the old Big East and grabbing a lucrative FOX contract and a jillion guaranteed tv appearances.

Another heroic post brought to you by the brave posters of the glorious National Communist C-USA Peoples Football League, winners of the Dear Leaders National Championship Football Poll continuously since its inception. Once again it appears that our mighty People's C-USA football dynasty is setting up for another glorious year of all out war pounding down the Yankee running dog America-12 imperialist scum.

RE: Realignment Summary - Bones N Skulls - 03-09-2013 10:40 AM

(03-09-2013 10:24 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-09-2013 09:18 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  I think that for the time being, Cincy, UConn, and USF are big losers, having lost the C7, Madison Square Garden, BCS football status, and the Champs, Belk, and Pinstripe Bowls. However, I look for Cincy and UConn eventually in ACC and perhaps USF and, possibly, UCF when B1G adds two more teams. Cincy is really in a hard place, with crosstown Xavier now having Cincy's former Big East basketball.

Another heroic post brought to you by the brave posters of the glorious National Communist C-USA Peoples Football League, winners of the Dear Leaders National Championship Football Poll continuously since its inception. Once again it appears that mighty People's C-USA football is setting up for another glorious year of all out war pounding down the Yankee running dog America-12 scum.

04-cheers

RE: Realignment Summary - firmbizzle - 03-09-2013 10:44 AM

Wrong. The only loser is Temple. USF,UC,UConn are all in better conferences and making more money than they were when the BCS was created.

RE: Realignment Summary - gocards#1 - 03-09-2013 10:58 AM

(03-09-2013 10:44 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  Wrong. The only loser is Temple. USF,UC,UConn are all in better conferences and making more money than they were when the BCS was created.

Agreed. These schools were mid majors or Division II in the 90's. They had almost a decade in a BCS conference to improve their program but didn't. Few teams get that kind of opportunity. They have nobody to blame but themselves for squandering it.

To be fair though, Temple never had a good football team in the Big East. They were always at the bottom. They did well in the MAC but they simply couldn't compete in a BCS conference

RE: Realignment Summary - TerryD - 03-09-2013 11:01 AM

(03-09-2013 10:24 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Another heroic post brought to you by the brave posters of the glorious National Communist C-USA Peoples Football League, winners of the Dear Leaders National Championship Football Poll continuously since its inception. Once again it appears that mighty People's C-USA football is setting up for another glorious year of all out war pounding down the Yankee running dog America-12 scum.

This made me laugh. Two rep points awarded.

RE: Realignment Summary - brista21 - 03-09-2013 11:32 AM

(03-09-2013 10:58 AM)gocards#1 Wrote:  
(03-09-2013 10:44 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  Wrong. The only loser is Temple. USF,UC,UConn are all in better conferences and making more money than they were when the BCS was created.

Agreed. These schools were mid majors or Division II in the 90's. They had almost a decade in a BCS conference to improve their program but didn't. Few teams get that kind of opportunity. They have nobody to blame but themselves for squandering it.

To be fair though, Temple never had a good football team in the Big East. They were always at the bottom. They did well in the MAC but they simply couldn't compete in a BCS conference

Ehh, I feel like Cincy got screwed to be honest. They definitely didn't squander their opportunity, but they haven't been rewarded with being included in the successor regime either. UConn and USF have made some moves too, but ultimately being the youngin' hurt them.

RE: Realignment Summary - AntiG - 03-09-2013 11:32 AM

I'd say Rutgers, like Utah, is one of the biggest winners... going from the most unstable mid-tier football conference to basically THE most stable and highest grossing conference in the country.

RE: Realignment Summary - ECUPirated - 03-09-2013 12:15 PM

(03-09-2013 11:32 AM)AntiG Wrote:  I'd say Rutgers, like Utah, is one of the biggest winners... going from the most unstable mid-tier football conference to basically THE most stable and highest grossing conference in the country.

I'd throw Maryland in there as well. A program that can't manage a budget and is knee deep in debt to the point they were discussing dropping certain sports even with Under Armour on the back burner and they get to join Rutgers.

RE: Realignment Summary - Poliicious - 03-09-2013 12:49 PM

(03-09-2013 11:32 AM)AntiG Wrote:  I'd say Rutgers, like Utah, is one of the biggest winners... going from the most unstable mid-tier football conference to basically THE most stable and highest grossing conference in the country.

While doing nothing on the field or in ticket sales to earn it.

RE: Realignment Summary - Poliicious - 03-09-2013 12:52 PM

(03-09-2013 12:15 PM)ECUPirated Wrote:  

I'd throw Maryland in there as well. A program that can't manage a budget and is knee deep in debt to the point they were discussing dropping certain sports even with Under Armour on the back burner and they get to join Rutgers.
Yep that $25,000,000 annually they wiill get from the BTN will pay alot of bills

RE: Realignment Summary - JRsec - 03-09-2013 01:39 PM

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. It's a long way until August 15th. The 65 you think are in might not be and a couple of those listed as big losers may not be.

It could be 60 that get in, or any number up to 72. It could even be more but I doubt it.

Maybe there will be 5 conferences, maybe 4, or maybe even 3.

I'll agree with the original post in this thread on August 16th 2013. But until then it's all a bit premature.

RE: Realignment Summary - NJRedMan - 03-09-2013 02:08 PM

1. Can we stop calling the Big East C7 "BBall only"? We participated in all sports BUT FB so we we're not BBall only.

2. UConn lost a lot because they went from being a founding member of a nationally recognized power conference to what is essentially CUSA (Best of). They are actually making less money now. They were getting 1.5 for BBall and 1.8 for FB. Now they just get 2 mil for both.

RE: Realignment Summary - firmbizzle - 03-09-2013 02:43 PM

(03-09-2013 11:32 AM)brista21 Wrote:  
(03-09-2013 10:58 AM)gocards#1 Wrote:  

Ehh, I feel like Cincy got screwed to be honest. They definitely didn't squander their opportunity, but they haven't been rewarded with being included in the successor regime either. UConn and USF have made some moves too, but ultimately being the youngin' hurt them.

They didn't get screwed. They are in a much better position than they were in 1998. 05-stirthepot

They can always go back to CUSA.
04-cheers

RE: Realignment Summary - jdgaucho - 03-09-2013 03:53 PM

WCC should be considered amongst the victors. Picking up Pacific and BYU, and losing nobody (to date)? That's pretty good.

RE: Realignment Summary - mikeinsec127 - 03-09-2013 04:05 PM

Amen, brother. I'd put Maryland and the B12 defectors in the winners category also. They all are in more stable conferences and making more $ athletically and probably academically than what they were.
WV, cuse, pitt and Ville all go in the winners group as well, but not to the level of RU or Utah. Their circumstances weren't as dire and their landing places aren't as secure as RU or Utah.

RE: Realignment Summary - mikeinsec127 - 03-09-2013 04:12 PM

(03-09-2013 12:49 PM)Poliicious Wrote:  

While doing nothing on the field or in ticket sales to earn it.

05-sosad Cry me a river. Don't hate on us just because you've been left out so far.

RE: Realignment Summary - RUJohnny99 - 03-09-2013 04:26 PM

(03-09-2013 08:35 AM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  For all of the hundreds of millions of dollars thrown around in entrance fees, exit fees, tournament credits, etc., what has been the result.

1. When the BCS began, there were 63 AQ football programs in 6 conferences. When the BCS moves into its new phase in 2014, there will be 65.

2. Winners? Utah, TCU, and Louisville have moved into the Power 5 from non-AQ leagues where they were in the 1990's.

When the BCS began, UConn was a IAA & USF was a 1 year old startup. They are both better off in a new CUSA than where they were in 1998.

There were 112 IA schools in 1998. Besides UConn & USF, There are 10 or 11 other schools who are better off in FBS than FCS.