CSNbbs
Navy AD confirms Navy to keep home game contract - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Navy AD confirms Navy to keep home game contract (/thread-626262.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Navy AD confirms Navy to keep home game contract - Tallgrass - 03-24-2013 04:04 PM

Also negotiates that all Navy away conference games are telecast.

"Basically, our deal with the Big East stated that under no circumstances would Navy lose ground in terms of television or revenue, Navy AD Gladchuk said.

CBS WILL RETAIN RIGHTS TO NAVY FOOTBALL GAMES THROUGH 2017, 2018
By Bill Wagner, Capital Gazette, March 20, 2013

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - Chappy - 03-24-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:“What this is all about is honoring existing television contracts between the Naval Academy and CBS,” Gladchuk said. “Navy is going to continue its relationship with CBS through the completion of all current contracts. I’m pleased that the Big East agreed with Navy that it is important from an ethical standpoint to honor those contracts.”

Rights to Navy’s home football games will become available in 2017 while rights to Navy’s home games with Notre Dame along with the Army-Navy game go up for bid in 2018. Gladchuk said Aresco will likely renegotiate the league’s deal with ESPN to reflect the addition of Navy home games along with those against Notre Dame and Army.

In other words, it is NOT a Boise-like deal.

Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - Pony94 - 03-24-2013 04:09 PM

How are you today Tallgrass? Pretty windy and chilly today here.

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - bullet - 03-24-2013 04:12 PM

(03-24-2013 04:09 PM)Chappy Wrote:  
Quote:“What this is all about is honoring existing television contracts between the Naval Academy and CBS,” Gladchuk said. “Navy is going to continue its relationship with CBS through the completion of all current contracts. I’m pleased that the Big East agreed with Navy that it is important from an ethical standpoint to honor those contracts.”

Rights to Navy’s home football games will become available in 2017 while rights to Navy’s home games with Notre Dame along with the Army-Navy game go up for bid in 2018. Gladchuk said Aresco will likely renegotiate the league’s deal with ESPN to reflect the addition of Navy home games along with those against Notre Dame and Army.

Sounds like its better than Boise.

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - KNIGHTTIME - 03-24-2013 04:18 PM

Great deal for the TBD league. Hopefully we get Umass or ODU for #12.

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - MWC Tex - 03-24-2013 04:19 PM

(03-24-2013 04:12 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Sounds like to me also. At least BSU created a bonus system to the other MW schools to get more $$. Navy will keep it all for Notre Dame and Army. But, remember, when Navy joined they were looking to get at least $6+ million.

This is also solidifies Navy is joining the conference and that would be a big deal.

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - Tallgrass - 03-24-2013 04:31 PM

NAVY AD CALLS BOISE STATE DEAL OUTRAGEOUS; SAYS BOISE WASN'T WORTH IT TO BIG EAST
By Brian Murphy, Idaho Statesman, Jan. 3, 2013

"Boise State's demands of the Big East were "outrageous and unprecedented" Navy Athletic Director Chet Gladchuk told the Capital Gazette."

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - Chappy - 03-24-2013 04:57 PM

(03-24-2013 04:19 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

Sounds like to me also. At least BSU created a bonus system to the other MW schools to get more $$. Navy will keep it all for Notre Dame and Army. But, remember, when Navy joined they were looking to get at least $6+ million.

This is also solidifies Navy is joining the conference and that would be a big deal.

How do you guys figure?

To me it reads like Navy is keeping the deals they already have, which they kind of have to do or else pay a penalty, and then when those deals expire they become part of a renegotiated TV package for the whole conference.

Very different than Boise, who's deal will end up reducing the payouts of schools that don't appear on national broadcasts unless the league has another revenue stream I'm not aware of (which very well could be the case, didn't follow it that closely).

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - MWC Tex - 03-24-2013 05:08 PM

(03-24-2013 04:57 PM)Chappy Wrote:  
(03-24-2013 04:19 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

How do you guys figure?

To me it reads like Navy is keeping the deals they already have, which they kind of have to do or else pay a penalty, and then when those deals expire they become part of a renegotiated TV package for the whole conference.

Very different than Boise, who's deal will end up reducing the payouts of schools that don't appear on national broadcasts unless the league has another revenue stream I'm not aware of (which very well could be the case, didn't follow it that closely).

“Basically, our deal with the Big East stated that under no circumstances would Navy lose ground in terms of television revenue or exposure,” Gladchuk said

Navy is currently getting more than the new ESPN contract. Navy home rights for ND and the Army-Navy game after 2017 get put to bid. That $$ will go to Navy only. I don't see where Navy will be taking less than the $3 million or so they are currently getting from TV as an independent. I don't see where Navy is going to share that money with the rest of the conference.

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - Chappy - 03-24-2013 05:18 PM

"Gladchuk said Aresco will likely renegotiate the league’s deal with ESPN to reflect the addition of Navy home games along with those against Notre Dame and Army."

The way I interpret that is that when the current deals Navy has expire, they will become part of a re-negotiated C-TBA contract, and thus shared with the conference.

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - Rich52c - 03-24-2013 05:56 PM

(03-24-2013 05:18 PM)Chappy Wrote:  "Gladchuk said Aresco will likely renegotiate the league’s deal with ESPN to reflect the addition of Navy home games along with those against Notre Dame and Army."

The way I interpret that is that when the current deals Navy has expire, they will become part of a re-negotiated C-TBA contract, and thus shared with the conference.

Navy will play it like ND.
The A12 is sort of an after-thought to them.
By the time Navy's tv contract ends the A-12 wil be made up CUSA and MAC schools and the best of the current schools in the A12 will join the leftovers of the ACC.That group will be like Wake Forest,Duke,ND and BE refugees.

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - WinOrLoseEAGLE - 03-24-2013 06:14 PM

(03-24-2013 05:18 PM)Chappy Wrote:  "Gladchuk said Aresco will likely renegotiate the league’s deal with ESPN to reflect the addition of Navy home games along with those against Notre Dame and Army."

I read it to say that Navy, under no circumstance, will decrease their television revenue. So, if the future contracts regarding ND and Army are comparable to the current contracts then the amounts would belong 100% to Navy.

IF that's the proper interpretation then it's a better "special deal" than Boise got. IF it's only to finish out contracts and Navy gets to keep 100% of those contracts....and then the next round of ND and Army money becomes part of the no-name conference, there's no Navy strong arm tactics.

I see it as the former and not the latter.

RE: Navy AD confirms Navy to keep home game contract - 1845 Bear - 03-24-2013 06:44 PM

Tallgrass- quit baiting the nBE posters. I renamed the thread to limit that.

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - billings - 03-24-2013 06:51 PM

Navy did not want to lose TV money or exposure joining the new BE.

Boise basically said the same thing as TV execs told them they were worth more alone then the BE was going to get.

Same thing, both schools wanted to preserve their value and not get that value lowered by the new BE TV deal. To say this is different is just spin

RE: Navy AD confirms Navy to keep home game contract - b0ndsj0ns - 03-24-2013 07:12 PM

It's interesting to read the different interpretations of this. I guess C-USA gave ECU a "Boise like" deal in the 90s when they allowed us to honor the last 3 years of our ESPN Indy deal.

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - MWC Tex - 03-24-2013 08:22 PM

What I can gather is that all Navy home games will be under the ESPN deal...except, ND and the Army-Navy as those will belong to Navy solely. Having Aresco help with the bidding does mean those 2 games go to the conference...just that he will help Navy being a member of the conference with the bids. Just as the MW commissioner help BSU with their home games on ESPN.

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - Tallgrass - 03-24-2013 08:26 PM

(03-24-2013 06:51 PM)billings Wrote:  Navy did not want to lose TV money or exposure joining the new BE.

Boise basically said the same thing as TV execs told them they were worth more alone then the BE was going to get.

Same thing, both schools wanted to preserve their value and not get that value lowered by the new BE TV deal. To say this is different is just spin

The true significance of this article is that Navy was invited in November 2011 and knew way back then that the huge figures being publicly thrown out for the new Nbe/A12 tv contract were false. And so Navy put this caveat into its acceptance agreement to protect itself. Arseco and the Nbe/A12 leadership were either blind or totally uniformed and probably both. The only surprise about the C7 withdrawing was why did it take them so long? Ditto for Boise.

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - Attackcoog - 03-24-2013 08:27 PM

(03-24-2013 06:14 PM)WinOrLoseEAGLE Wrote:  

I read it to say that Navy, under no circumstance, will decrease their television revenue. So, if the future contracts regarding ND and Army are comparable to the current contracts then the amounts would belong 100% to Navy.

IF that's the proper interpretation then it's a better "special deal" than Boise got. IF it's only to finish out contracts and Navy gets to keep 100% of those contracts....and then the next round of ND and Army money becomes part of the no-name conference, there's no Navy strong arm tactics.

I see it as the former and not the latter.

Actually, this looks EXACTLY like the same deal ECU got when they joined CUSA. ECU finished out thier existing Raycom independent television contract and then became part of the CUSA package. There would be no reason for Aresco to renegotiate the TV package if Navys was not part of the C-TBA future media package. If Navy was to stay on thier own contract they would just negotiate a NEW deal. Only adding them to the existing C-TBA package would require "renegotiation".

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - Attackcoog - 03-24-2013 08:32 PM

(03-24-2013 08:26 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  
(03-24-2013 06:51 PM)billings Wrote:  Navy did not want to lose TV money or exposure joining the new BE.

The true significance of this article is that Navy was invited in November 2011 and knew way back then that the huge figures being publicly thrown out for the new Nbe/A12 tv contract were false. And so Navy put this caveat into its acceptance agreement to protect itself. Arseco and the Nbe/A12 leadership were either blind or totally uniformed and probably both. The only surprise about the C7 withdrawing was why did it take them so long? Ditto for Boise.

I dont think so. Not in 2011. I think what Navy had determined was they had no intention of not honoring their current TV agreement. The militatry acadamies actually believe in honoring thier word. I know its an antiquated idea, but nice to see some still are guided by such thoughts.

RE: Navy AD confirms Boise like deal with Nbe/A12 - Tallgrass - 03-24-2013 08:40 PM

(03-24-2013 08:32 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-24-2013 08:26 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  

I dont think so. Not in 2011. I think what Navy had determined was they had no intention of not honoring their current TV agreement. The militatry acadamies actually believe in honoring thier word. I know its an antiquated idea, but nice to see some still are guided by such thoughts.

The Nbe must guarantee Navy in future years the amount of tv dollars Navy could earn if they Navy were independent and had its own tv contract. Secondly, all Navy conference games must be nationally televised under the Nbe contract. No other Nbe member has these guarantees (At least, not that we know of.)

Just wonder if Navy put some other caveats in its acceptance agreement, re current membership changes, exit fees, scheduling, etc.? My guess is Navy has.