CSNbbs
ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA (/thread-629295.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - Hokie4Skins - 04-11-2013 07:31 PM

http://m.hamptonroads.com/svc/wlws.svc/getHtml#article/?sectionId=3607&feedId=6072&articleId=8235073

[/align]

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - ODU2003 - 04-11-2013 08:06 PM

At least he (Selig) is saying so publicly. About half of ODU supporters don't want JMU (or any other VA school for that matter) in CUSA. Most of those who do want JMU to join also wanted ODU to remain in the CAA at the FCS level. Much of the younger crowd is against their joining and is basically apathetic if they join the Sun Belt.

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - Louis Kitton - 04-11-2013 09:20 PM

(04-11-2013 08:06 PM)ODU2003 Wrote:  At least he (Selig) is saying so publicly. About half of ODU supporters don't want JMU (or any other VA school for that matter) in CUSA. Most of those who do want JMU to join also wanted ODU to remain in the CAA at the FCS level. Much of the younger crowd is against their joining and is basically apathetic if they join the Sun Belt.

What if UVA asked to join CUSA? Do you think ODU fans would be supportive of that?

03-idea

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - ODU2003 - 04-11-2013 09:29 PM

(04-11-2013 09:20 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 08:06 PM)ODU2003 Wrote:  At least he (Selig) is saying so publicly. About half of ODU supporters don't want JMU (or any other VA school for that matter) in CUSA. Most of those who do want JMU to join also wanted ODU to remain in the CAA at the FCS level. Much of the younger crowd is against their joining and is basically apathetic if they join the Sun Belt.

What if UVA asked to join CUSA? Do you think ODU fans would be supportive of that?

03-idea

We'll cross that highly unlikely bridge when we come to it.

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - JMU2004 - 04-12-2013 09:27 AM

JMU will be FBS by 2015. ODU knows that, and would simply prefer to have someone in the conference closer than 330 miles. Nothing more, nothing less.

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - Wilkie01 - 04-12-2013 09:52 AM

I think it would be good for ODU, JMU and CUSA!

Which other team would be added to balance out adding JMU? 07-coffee3

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - Louis Kitton - 04-12-2013 10:24 AM

(04-12-2013 09:52 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  I think it would be good for ODU, JMU and CUSA!

Which other team would be added to balance out adding JMU? 07-coffee3

Snark St. to the West.

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - AndreWhere - 04-12-2013 10:35 AM

Well, why shouldn't we listen to ODU? They've been in the conference a whole five minutes. And listening to ECU always turned out well for us... thank God we didn't go through with that MWC merger. How could we impersonate the Sun Belt is we had any good teams?

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - Ragu - 04-12-2013 10:56 AM

Adding James Madison makes no sense. It is another start up FBS program and the basketball while they made the tournament is nothing special.

CUSA just added a team in Virginia in ODU. There is no need for two. If a team is added to the East, it should be a team from Georgia.

Besides that, the only way 16 makes any sense is to keep UAB in the East. Adding another East team just makes the situation worse. Arkansas State and ULL would be better adds for football and are in the West. Brings 1 new state and would rather have 2 LA schools than 2 VA schools.

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - monarchman - 04-12-2013 11:38 AM

(04-12-2013 10:56 AM)Ragu Wrote:  Adding James Madison makes no sense. It is another start up FBS program and the basketball while they made the tournament is nothing special.

CUSA just added a team in Virginia in ODU. There is no need for two. If a team is added to the East, it should be a team from Georgia.

Besides that, the only way 16 makes any sense is to keep UAB in the East. Adding another East team just makes the situation worse. Arkansas State and ULL would be better adds for football and are in the West. Brings 1 new state and would rather have 2 LA schools than 2 VA schools.

Agreed.

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - JMU2004 - 04-12-2013 12:43 PM

(04-12-2013 10:56 AM)Ragu Wrote:  Adding James Madison makes no sense. It is another start up FBS program and the basketball while they made the tournament is nothing special.

ODU controls the SE portion of VA. They get little to no play in Central Va or Northern Va/DC. JMU brings both Richmond AND NoVa/DC into play. If the CUSA takes JMU, it will be because they want access to DC and want to tap into a growing fanbase.

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - Ragu - 04-12-2013 01:10 PM

Again it doesn't make any sense to go to 16 unless they are 2 Western division teams. The whole fiasco is because UAB wants to be in the East. JMU just makes the problem worse.

And again, I would rather have a new state or 2 teams in Louisiana over 2 teams in Virginia. There is no need for 2 in that state at all.

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - JMU2004 - 04-12-2013 01:21 PM

(04-12-2013 01:10 PM)Ragu Wrote:  Again it doesn't make any sense to go to 16 unless they are 2 Western division teams. The whole fiasco is because UAB wants to be in the East. JMU just makes the problem worse.

And again, I would rather have a new state or 2 teams in Louisiana over 2 teams in Virginia. There is no need for 2 in that state at all.

Mind explaining your logic? VA has nearly twice the population of La., and that doesn't even account for the DC/MD population that is very much part of DC metro area.

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - ODU2003 - 04-12-2013 01:25 PM

(04-12-2013 12:43 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

ODU controls the SE portion of VA. They get little to no play in Central Va or Northern Va/DC. JMU brings both Richmond AND NoVa/DC into play. If the CUSA takes JMU, it will be because they want access to DC and want to tap into a growing fanbase.

I think you overstate JMU's relavance in the DC TV market. When I lived there JMU was an after thought. They were clearly behind the following schools; UVA, VT, Georgetown, Maryland, George Washington and George Mason. It seemed JMU didn't get more play than American, Hopkins or Richmond to be honest. And that was before the rise of VCU's basketball program.

Now is it possible they are more visible now? Sure. But I'd be suprised if they had surpassed any of the first 6 schools I mentioned in terms of market relevance.

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - JMU2004 - 04-12-2013 02:13 PM

(04-12-2013 01:25 PM)ODU2003 Wrote:  

I think you overstate JMU's relavance in the DC TV market. When I lived there JMU was an after thought. They were clearly behind the following schools; UVA, VT, Georgetown, Maryland, George Washington and George Mason. It seemed JMU didn't get more play than American, Hopkins or Richmond to be honest. And that was before the rise of VCU's basketball program.

Now is it possible they are more visible now? Sure. But I'd be suprised if they had surpassed any of the first 6 schools I mentioned in terms of market relevance.

We have close to 30,000 alumni in the DC region. Sure, we're behind UVa, VT, and Maryland. We're talking football competition.....so I'm not looking at the bball only schools you mentioned.

I have no idea where you lived or what you followed when up there, but JMU def. provides a decent in road to the DC market.

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - Ragu - 04-12-2013 02:15 PM

(04-12-2013 01:21 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 01:10 PM)Ragu Wrote:  Again it doesn't make any sense to go to 16 unless they are 2 Western division teams. The whole fiasco is because UAB wants to be in the East. JMU just makes the problem worse.

Mind explaining your logic? VA has nearly twice the population of La., and that doesn't even account for the DC/MD population that is very much part of DC metro area.

Again explain to me how adding JMU helps with the UAB to the East problem? Also want to let me know the benefit of adding another VA team from the East instead of a team in fricken Georgia?

Louisiana is in the Western footprint. ULL is a legit football program and not a startup FBS program. Plus they have other good sports as well and good fan support. And the recruiting in Louisiana is going to be used by most of CUSA more.

When you can show me your logic to beat what I just said, I will actually be receptive to adding JMU. I doubt you can do so though. They simply don't make sense in the East over a GA team and adding to the West is the only way 16 makes any sense.

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - Cnelson203 - 04-12-2013 02:20 PM

The only reason I would suggest going to 16 would be to re-balance the divisions with UAB to the East, and that's for purely selfish reasons wanting Marshall to have at least one division game against a former division mate -- and frankly that may not be a good enough reason. Adding JMU doesn't accomplish that, and there is no comparison with JMU (untested in FBS) to either ULL or ASU (recent success in FBS).

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - monarchoptimist - 04-12-2013 02:32 PM

(04-12-2013 02:13 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

We have close to 30,000 alumni in the DC region. Sure, we're behind UVa, VT, and Maryland. We're talking football competition.....so I'm not looking at the bball only schools you mentioned.

I have no idea where you lived or what you followed when up there, but JMU def. provides a decent in road to the DC market.

JMU doesn't register in DC. You can't ignore basketball schools like Georgetown because even during football season their basketball team still gets more coverage than JMU football. JMU gets better coverage in Hampton Roads than they do in DC.

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - JMU2004 - 04-12-2013 02:45 PM

(04-12-2013 02:32 PM)monarchoptimist Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 02:13 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

JMU doesn't register in DC. You can't ignore basketball schools like Georgetown because even during football season their basketball team still gets more coverage than JMU football. JMU gets better coverage in Hampton Roads than they do in DC.

lol....whatever makes you feel better.

RE: ODU lobbying for JMU to CUSA - JMUDuke25 - 04-12-2013 02:50 PM

(04-12-2013 01:25 PM)ODU2003 Wrote:  I think you overstate JMU's relavance in the DC TV market.

Are you not overstating ODU's relevance in the Hampton Road market? UNC, Va Tech, UVA, and probably NC State are much more relevant.