CSNbbs
Playoff format may bet set in stone for 12 years, but bowls may not be - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Playoff format may bet set in stone for 12 years, but bowls may not be (/thread-631004.html)

Playoff format may bet set in stone for 12 years, but bowls may not be - CommuterBob - 04-25-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 20m
Bill Hancock said playoff bowl contracts could be reopened after six years if new stadium opens or problems occur with current bowls.

Oh really? I have to think this is in direct response to the new Atlanta stadium.

RE: Playoff format may bet set in stone for 12 years, but bowls may not be - Wedge - 04-25-2013 04:02 PM

(04-25-2013 03:13 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
Quote:Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 20m
Bill Hancock said playoff bowl contracts could be reopened after six years if new stadium opens or problems occur with current bowls.

Oh really? I have to think this is in direct response to the new Atlanta stadium.

Atlanta is already in the club, though. Moving the Chik-fil-APeach Bowl to a newer stadium isn't going to threaten their place in the system.

What problems could occur with current bowls? Another bribes-n-strippers scandal like the one at the Fiesta Bowl?

RE: Playoff format may bet set in stone for 12 years, but bowls may not be - BruceMcF - 04-25-2013 04:09 PM

(04-25-2013 04:02 PM)Wedge Wrote:  What problems could occur with current bowls? Another bribes-n-strippers scandal like the one at the Fiesta Bowl?
The whole point of colluding in which bowls get which schools is to try to avoid that chase for that kind of "competitive advantage".

RE: Playoff format may bet set in stone for 12 years, but bowls may not be - HawaiiMongoose - 04-25-2013 05:51 PM

I don't think anything about the new playoff format is really set in stone. There will be adjustments after the first couple of years, especially in response to the TV ratings. One of the three games on NYE could move back to NYD, for example.

I'm really interested to see how the ratings for the semifinal games compare to the ratings for the other CFP bowls. If they're significantly higher, a move from four to eight playoff teams could come sooner than expected.

RE: Playoff format may bet set in stone for 12 years, but bowls may not be - omniorange - 04-25-2013 06:00 PM

Maybe it's a veiled threat to the Fiesta after that bowl was rocked with scandal recently?

Cheers,
Neil

Sorry, should have read further. I see Wedge already brought that possibility up.