CSNbbs
BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion (/thread-632165.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - Underdog - 05-06-2013 07:25 AM

THIS THREAD IS A CONTINUATION OF THE FOLLOWING THREAD:

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=632164

"If the Big 12 does decide that they want to expand, it will have to focus efforts on members of the American Athletic Conference, the former Big East that will end up housing many former members of Conference USA. With the departure of Louisville to the ACC, the number of appealing options for the Big 12 has never been lower.

Cincinnati is still on the table as a possibility, but otherwise the Big 12 would have to look into expanding into Florida or bringing back former members of the SWC like SMU or Houston.

Florida schools like Central Florida or South Florida would be appealing because they could help open up the fertile state of Florida to Big 12 recruiting efforts...."

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2013/4/...ealignment

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - Kit-Cat - 05-06-2013 07:40 AM

I love the homer B12 perspective in the article.

"The B12 didn't have to add schools that undervalue its brand like Rutgers, Maryland of the B1G or Utah, Colorado of the PAC"

What does the writer think WVU does? Then he goes on to suggest that everything in the B12 would be hunky dorry if they could add UCF/USF.

03-lmfao

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - Underdog - 05-06-2013 07:48 AM

(05-06-2013 07:40 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  I love the homer B12 perspective in the article.

"The B12 didn't have to add schools that undervalue its brand like Rutgers, Maryland of the B1G or Utah, Colorado of the PAC"

What does the writer think WVU does? Then he goes on to suggest that everything in the B12 would be hunky dorry if they could add UCF/USF.

03-lmfao

Very good points.... However, as the article states: "If the Big 12 does decide that they want to expand, it will have to focus efforts on members of the American Athletic Conference." That's a realistic assessment because the B12 doesn't have any other options except the MWC. Moreover, the better markets and recruiting is east, which is where I think the B12 would focus on expanding.

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - TexanMark - 05-06-2013 07:49 AM

USF/UCF would be just like Rutgers

Adding for cable boxes and access to recruits.

That said I think it would be smart for the B12 to add USF/UCF and Cincy. BYU or UConn fight it out for #14.

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - Underdog - 05-06-2013 08:09 AM

(05-06-2013 07:49 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  USF/UCF would be just like Rutgers

Adding for cable boxes and access to recruits.

That said I think it would be smart for the B12 to add USF/UCF and Cincy. BYU or UConn fight it out for #14.

I like your suggestion but would go with ECU instead of BYU or UConn. Consequently, the B12 could do what the former Big East failed to do: Have actual eastern and west division.

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - Maize - 05-06-2013 08:17 AM

1. The Big XII should as of right now stand pat.

2. But if they ever do for some reason decide to expand they should look @ Cincinnati and let UCF/USF fight it out for #12.

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - apex_pirate - 05-06-2013 08:19 AM

(05-06-2013 08:17 AM)Maize Wrote:  1. The Big XII should as of right now stand pat.

2. But if they ever do for some reason decide to expand they should look @ Cincinnati and let UCF/USF fight it out for #12.

Get rid of one island and create another?

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - Captain Bearcat - 05-06-2013 08:24 AM

The best option for the B12 is to stay put. As much as it pains me, with UL taken now their 2nd best option is USF/UCF.

UC/BYU would be better than USF/UCF, but BYU isn't coming.

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - apex_pirate - 05-06-2013 08:29 AM

(05-06-2013 08:24 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  The best option for the B12 is to stay put. As much as it pains me, with UL taken now their 2nd best option is USF/UCF.

UC/BYU would be better than USF/UCF, but BYU isn't coming.

So take two and leave WVU hanging? It's either stand pat or go to 14. I'd wager they stand pat.

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - CardFan1 - 05-06-2013 08:35 AM

14 is the current power standard in 3 of the power 5. So need 4 for Big12 and 2 for Pac12 to even things out.

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - Underdog - 05-06-2013 08:44 AM

(05-06-2013 08:35 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  14 is the current power standard in 3 of the power 5. So need 4 for Big12 and 2 for Pac12 to even things out.

I agree.... Here's my suggestion:

The B14

Big West Division: Baylor, Kansas, Oklahoma, OSU,Texas, TT, TCU

Big East Division: Cincinnati, ECU, Iowa St, Kansas St, UCF, USF, WV

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - Maize - 05-06-2013 08:50 AM

(05-06-2013 08:44 AM)Underdog Wrote:  
(05-06-2013 08:35 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  14 is the current power standard in 3 of the power 5. So need 4 for Big12 and 2 for Pac12 to even things out.

The B14

So...WVU would have paid the BIG EAST $20 Million to basically join the BIG EAST...

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - apex_pirate - 05-06-2013 08:56 AM

(05-06-2013 08:50 AM)Maize Wrote:  

The B14

So...WVU would have paid the BIG EAST $20 Million to basically join the BIG EAST...

How in the world is adding two former Big East conference mates (Cincy and USF) to the Big XII basically joining the Big East???

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - Underdog - 05-06-2013 08:58 AM

(05-06-2013 08:50 AM)Maize Wrote:  

The B14

I don't know if you are joking or serious, so I'll assume the latter. The Big East Division would be in the B12. Consequently, WV would make much more $$ than if it stayed in the former Big East/AAC that's getting an anemic $2 mil per school. Moreover, the Big East Division would only contain three actual former Big East members: Cincinnati, WV, and USF.

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - Maize - 05-06-2013 09:03 AM

Think about it...WVU paid the BIG EAST/AAC $20 Million to be in the same purposed division as Cincinnati, East Carolina, USF & UCF.

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - Frog in the Kitchen Sink - 05-06-2013 09:11 AM

Big 12 is going to stay at 10. The desire for a round robin really isn't lip service, and there are no divisional splits with 12 or 14 that make everyone happy. Since the league doesn't have a conference based network, there is no need for new "markets"- it's hard to make adding more mouths make sense financially.

I do think there is something to be said for strength in numbers (both competitively on the field/court and off the field in the expansion front), but that is the only positive about expansion for the Big 12. If the league is the one who is cannibalized in ten years, it won't be be it didn't add USF, UCF, Cincy, today. It will be because UT and or OU find a model they like better.

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - OrangeCrush22 - 05-06-2013 09:30 AM

North
BYU
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
West Virginia

South
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
TCU
Texas Tech

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - Theodoresdaddy - 05-06-2013 09:35 AM

(05-06-2013 07:40 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  I love the homer B12 perspective in the article.

03-lmfao

Rutgers couldn't win in the Big East

Maryland's athletic department is so underwater that they've been cutting programs

Colorado had gone downhill so fast, it was getting ready to roll into Kansas

Utah? They had moderate success in a 2nd tier conference.

WVU is in the top 20 for all time wins in football. TCU was on the same level as Utah.

WVU certainly isn't on the same level as a Nebraska but Nebraska decided they didn't want to play but the rules they voted for and took their ball and went home.

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - Underdog - 05-06-2013 09:47 AM

(05-06-2013 09:03 AM)Maize Wrote:  Think about it...WVU paid the BIG EAST/AAC $20 Million to be in the same purposed division as Cincinnati, East Carolina, USF & UCF.

...now think about this:

"There is additional movement to come in conference realignment. We can't allow what happened to the Big East happen to the Big 12 as far as only having 10 teams. We're happy where we are right now but nobody believes conference realignment is over. But, it is important for us to have eastern partners in the conference.

Those are the WVU athletic director's words, not mine. In his own words, he acknowledges that expansion is coming. I think most of us assumed that much."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/15222...ion-coming

(05-02-2013 11:12 AM)PirateMarv Wrote:  ...Ollie Luck who is the WVU AD, lobbied the B12 to add ECU.

At least that is what Chuck McGill who is a writer for the Charleston Daily Mail stated in one of his articles:

"(By the way, heard WVU Athletic Director Oliver Luck lobbied on behalf of ECU to get into the Big 12, which would have given the Mountaineers an Eastern Time zone partner in the league.)"

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=602823

Consequently, with the ACC's GOR, where do you think the B12 would get eastern partners for WV—the AAC.

RE: BIG XII Maybe Considering the AAC for Expansion - Maize - 05-06-2013 09:47 AM

(05-06-2013 09:30 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  North
BYU
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
West Virginia

South
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
TCU
Texas Tech

Just don't see the Big XII expanding but if they could ever come to an agreement it should be Cincinnati/BYU.