CSNbbs
I'm bored - realignment idea - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: I'm bored - realignment idea (/thread-638666.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - 10thMountain - 07-07-2013 08:40 PM

Not really an issue.

OU doesnt want to be in the SEC and even if they did they are too politically tied to OSU and the SEC is not going to use slots on teams like KSU or OSU.

Cincy is a northern school and no northern school will ever be in the SEC.

Realistically, the SEC will settle in and only expand if certain teams from NC and VA come knocking on the door.

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - nzmorange - 07-07-2013 08:42 PM

(07-07-2013 08:40 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Not really an issue.

OU doesnt want to be in the SEC and even if they did they are too politically tied to OSU and the SEC is not going to use slots on teams like KSU or OSU.

Cincy is a northern school and no northern school will ever be in the SEC.

Realistically, the SEC will settle in and only expand if certain teams from NC and VA come knocking on the door.

If TX left the Big XII, why wouldn't OU want to be in the SEC, and would OSU and OU still be tied if OSU got a home in a stable power conference?

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - 10thMountain - 07-07-2013 08:51 PM

OU doesn't want to be in the SEC...well probably a better way to say it is their ADMIN doesnt want to be in the SEC. They want to be in the PAC for easier wins and better academic ties.

If TX left, OU would go wherever they went (I don't believe in the "going indy" idea) basically, UT/OU/OSU/TTU are all politically interconnected to each other.

Nobody but the PAC would be willing to take that entire package of teams for realignment.

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - nzmorange - 07-07-2013 08:53 PM

(07-07-2013 08:51 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  OU doesn't want to be in the SEC...well probably a better way to say it is their ADMIN doesnt want to be in the SEC. They want to be in the PAC for easier wins and better academic ties.

If TX left, OU would go wherever they went (I don't believe in the "going indy" idea) basically, UT/OU/OSU/TTU are all politically interconnected to each other.

Nobody but the PAC would be willing to take that entire package of teams for realignment.

Well nothing is going to happen for at least a decade, so humor me. What if UT did go indy, and what if TX and OK state governments were reasonably sure that OSU and TT had homes? Where do you think OU would go and do you think that they would still be tied?

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - 10thMountain - 07-07-2013 08:58 PM

I think thats a pretty unlikely scenario for a lot of reasons...especially UT and OU just ditching their little brothers with no consequences and OSU and TTU being invited to a power conference without OU and UT patrons (The PAC wouldn't even take OU without UT, let alone TT and OSU)

I think that in 10 years, the political reality of UT/TT/OU/OSU will still exist and will mean that the PAC will either land them as a group or the B12 continues to exist a while longer, possibly without KU who the B1G might be very interested in by then.

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - Knightsweat - 07-07-2013 09:14 PM

(07-07-2013 08:58 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  I think thats a pretty unlikely scenario for a lot of reasons...especially UT and OU just ditching their little brothers with no consequences and OSU and TTU being invited to a power conference without OU and UT patrons (The PAC wouldn't even take OU without UT, let alone TT and OSU)

I think that in 10 years, the political reality of UT/TT/OU/OSU will still exist and will mean that the PAC will either land them as a group or the B12 continues to exist a while longer, possibly without KU who the B1G might be very interested in by then.

I disagree with your points about OU's attitude towards the SEC. I do however agree with your points about OSU and TT being tag-alongs and muddying the waters if OU and UT were to consider the SEC. I know from first hand conversations that OU receives a lot of fan/alum inputs about the SEC already. I also think your opinions are somewhat skewed as aTm would not like OU/OSU, or UT/TT playing in your new playground. I get it. Would probably feel the same way if the tables were turned.

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - nzmorange - 07-07-2013 09:30 PM

(07-07-2013 08:58 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  I think thats a pretty unlikely scenario for a lot of reasons...especially UT and OU just ditching their little brothers with no consequences and OSU and TTU being invited to a power conference without OU and UT patrons (The PAC wouldn't even take OU without UT, let alone TT and OSU)

I'm not sure that the Pac turned OU down. I understood it to be that the Big XII made them a better offer. That's why OU got concessions from the conference (I can't remember what they are right now, but I know they got them). I don't think that concessions would have come their way if there was not a viable alternative (i.e. Pac-12 membership). I think that the Pac-12 stood down because they didn't want to start a bidding war, because as soon as they offered OU anything, UCLA, Cal, USC, and Stanford would have demands, and the Pac JUST reigned them in. There's actually a clause in the pac-12 membership agreement that guarantees minimum payouts for just those schools. That's how favored the Cali schools are as is. Giving in to OU would cause the Cali four to up the ante.

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - 10thMountain - 07-07-2013 09:30 PM

(07-07-2013 09:14 PM)Knightsweat Wrote:  

I disagree with your points about OU's attitude towards the SEC. I do however agree with your points about OSU and TT being tag-alongs and muddying the waters if OU and UT were to consider the SEC. I know from first hand conversations that OU receives a lot of fan/alum inputs about the SEC already. I also think your opinions are somewhat skewed as aTm would not like OU/OSU, or UT/TT playing in your new playground. I get it. Would probably feel the same way if the tables were turned.

I think its the case where the fans would have no issue with it or even welcome it but the admin is against it because of their desire for the academic prestige of PAC and that they understand the political reality of the situation with OSU, UT and TT.

And you're right, we're not going to give up the SEC recruiting advantage without a fight and will be a no vote for any TX or OK schools and are firmly in the camp of "no expansion within the existing footprint" along with UF, UK, UGA, USC and UT

However, I dont see it as even being an issue because I think that in 10 years, OU and UT have a choice to make: go to the PAC, the only conference willing to expand by 4 more teams and take your two ride-a-longs to keep the legislators happy OR stay put and continue the B12 experiment another decade.

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - BewareThePhog - 07-08-2013 10:27 AM

IF the notion is that we have to somehow fit into a 4x16 model, I could see the following, where the Big 12 becomes the source of schools for surviving power conferences:

UT to ACC (independent in football with a scheduling alliance, otherwise all-in)
KU & OU to B1G.
WVU & TCU to SEC.
OSU, TT, KSU, ISU to PAC.

I don't think the ACC is as powerful as the B1G, SEC, or PAC, but I think they're definitely positioned better than the Big 12 to survive realignment. That means you have to parse the Big 12 out to the others.

I think that UT's independence aspirations may be overambitious. I think that ND is really the only brand that can pull that off, but if you make them a "partner" along with ND as a partial member of the ACC (including an annual game between them) it could possibly happen. I think that if they don't hold the Big 12 together, they'd be more likely to try this than to join another power conference as just another member.

KU & OU to the B1G has been discussed a lot. Good geographic fits, one elite hoops brand with AAU status plus one elite football brand. A good final add to the B1G.

The PAC gets to expand east with 4 strong schools. They may not be flagships, but they're big land grant schools. This allows them to get to the magic 16 mandated by the scenario, and does so in 4 separate states, giving them broad central time zone exposure.

WVU to the SEC is one many would likely agree with. TCU is the one that would be seen as less likely. There are several reasons I think this could work.

First of all, this presumes blowing up the Big 12 perhaps prior to GoR expiration, so there's a need to find homes for a lot of schools. That could take some level of cooperation among the different conferences, and I think that while the PAC is weakest politically in some ways, it's important to get them a solid expansion. Also, while there would likely be less resistance to TCU or Baylor than there would be to BYU (with its Prop 8 association) I think they'd still need secular schools as part of their expansion. That leaves the 4 mentioned above.

As for the SEC, I think it makes more sense than it may appear at first glance. I don't think there'd be resistance to TCU on religious grounds. And while there's a significant amount of ego in the SEC overall and many would prefer flagships only, there's still a risk of brand erosion if only flagship-or-major-landgrant-level schools are added. Alabama, Florida or LSU may not be worried, but adding a solid school with slightly less resources poses less of a risk to the likes of Georgia, Arkansas, and Missouri. TCU's renovated stadium is very nice, but they're not dripping with T Boone Pickens money like OSU is. Plus, adding TCU doesn't just get additional media exposure in TX, more importantly it puts SEC schools actually playing games in the D/FW metro area roughly every other week. While aTm is not in Houston they've essentially anchored that city - getting D/FW as well would be big.

Yes, aTm may object to a 2nd in-state school, but let's be honest - there's plenty to go around in TX, and if historic SEC membership can double-dip in MS, AL, and TN, it's certainly possible to do so in TX. Plus, if the presumed end-game of 16 is reached, other schools like Florida and South Carolina would feel less pressure to be part of a voting bloc to prevent in-state expansion for the future, since it wouldn't happen.

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - 10thMountain - 07-08-2013 01:22 PM

TCU is the least objectionable of the B12 Texas schools (the others will NEVER get our support) and I think A&M would be OK with a DFW area private school IF there was no other choice and for some reason the SEC couldn't get new state schools to join (which I find unlikely)

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - He1nousOne - 07-08-2013 08:05 PM

I don't see why the SEC would choose TCU over OSU. It's not that TCU would be bad for the conference but OSU has better facilities and is a new State.

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - He1nousOne - 07-08-2013 08:07 PM

(07-07-2013 08:40 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 09:48 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Not bad....but your scenario requires the passing of over a decade before it can happen. For a realignment idea due to being bored....you are bordering on being a masochist. 03-nutkick

In order for Texas to move to the ACC anytime soon enough for us to actually talk about it now, it will require a disintegration of the Big 12 as a whole. That requires votes and getting votes means making those schools comfortable that they have a place at the table after the Big 12 goes bye bye.

That means you cannot cut out as many Big 12 schools as you have done.

Giving Texas that kind of deal means the ACC can take two more Big 12 schools in order to help this happen. I realize as fans you guys go 03-puke over whom I and others have talked about going with Texas to the ACC but take a look at the whole picture. If the ACC goes along with that then the talk about which one of the two conferences survives and which one dies will be over. If you take Baylor you get a great basketball program and more coverage in the State of Texas which could really help the ACC boost themselves from the bottom up in competitiveness in football. I am not talking about the FSU's of the ACC, I am talking about the Pitt's and the Virginia's and the NC State's.

Perhaps the ACC can bargain for Baylor and WVU but if the SEC wants WVU out of the deal then likely WVU will go to them. I don't see what is so bad about tripling up in the State of Texas for the ACC. A scheduling agreement with Texas and their boost to the ACC's Bowl agreements. Bring in Baylor and TCU and suddenly Texas is an Atlantic Ocean bordering State that is absolutely ACC Territory as much as it is anyone else's. Is that really so horrible?

ACC
North
Miami
Boston College
Pitt
Syracuse

Mid-Atlantic
North Carolina
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Duke

South
FSU
Clemson
Georgia Tech
North Carolina State

West
Louisville
Baylor
TCU
Wake Forest

That ACC right there has all the elements to be wildly successful. Remember it has the power of Notre Dame and Texas added to it's SoS AND it's Bowl Negotiating strength. This line up would allow your historical powers to all remain such in regards to leading to a four team conference tournament while at the same time it allows some of your new schools with improving national programs to continue that trend.

In regards to getting enough Big 12 schools. I think we would see WVU definitely going to the SEC and personally I do believe Oklahoma would choose the Big Ten, if the Big Ten wanted them. Oklahoma's program is sliding downwards, not upwards. Moving into the SEC would only accelerate that trend where as membership in the Big Ten would "artificially" keep them propped up at the top of the rankings as well as being a regular participant in the National Scene. The SEC would be just as well off with Oklahoma State. In fact they might be better off with OSU considering what they actually need. Kansas and Oklahoma to the Big Ten and WVU and OSU to the SEC.

Big Ten
East
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers

North
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue

Midwest
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois
Minnesota

West
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Iowa
Kansas

This would be a dream set up for so many in the Big Ten. If a Tournament was suddenly in the pipeline, I think most folks would see a "miraculous" change of opinion at Michigan and Ohio State about them having to be in the same division and playing in the final week of the regular season. Traditions pass all the time, it just takes enough temptation for folks to move on. There is a ton of brand potential in that line up.

SEC
East
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Auburn

Central
Alabama
Ole Miss
Vanderbilt
Miss State

West
LSU
Texas A&M
Arkansas
Oklahoma State

Border
Tennessee
West Virginia
Kentucky
Missouri

Edit: Had to change my SEC commentary. It is not possible for them to get ECU without giving up on WVU and that is not going to happen. ECU will have to work towards domination at the Mid-Major level and hope for inclusion in an 8 team National Playoff. WVU and Oklahoma State are many leaps ahead of ECU still and that North Carolina market is nice but the Bigger Picture calls.

The PAC is the conference that has the least say in all of this. They have zero potential expansions currently so really any Big 12 programs are an improvement over their current choices. That means the likes of Iowa State, Kansas State and Texas Tech move out West. Those three give the PAC three much needed locations to display PAC matchups in the Central Time Zone. That alone gives them a big boost to their TV contracts. They can have PAC games playing in every single scheduling time. Currently they miss out. Toss one more in as you desire. Personally I think New Mexico makes for a good add.

PAC
North
Oregon
Washington
Oregon State
Wash State

West
USC
UCLA
Stanford
California

South
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
New Mexico/Colorado

East
Texas Tech
Kansas State
Iowa State
Colorado/New Mexico

Personally I would have Colorado with it's previous Big 12 conference mates. It works better geographically. Texas Tech may have issues with being "Left Behind" but this isn't all bad for them. Just like how the Aggies are moving on to be their own Brand instead of living under the Longhorn shadow, the same can be said of Tech in this scenario. They will be the regular team to beat in that division and a regular participant in the PAC's four team tournament. That will boost Tech's National Recognition. Since their division isn't all that tough, they won't need to worry so much about having a fully padded OOC schedule. A 9 game conference schedule means 3 OOC games and they can schedule 2-3 of those all in the State of Texas. That really isn't so bad at all. Texas is going to have 7 open OOC games on their schedule with that new ACC arrangement. Pretty sure Tech will be a regular in that scenario.

A scenario like this could potentially happen where as one that doesn't take enough of the Big 12 into consideration is really just idle chat to pass the time.

I don't think that the NC school will leave each other.

How would you fashion them then?

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - BewareThePhog - 07-09-2013 09:11 AM

(07-08-2013 08:05 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  I don't see why the SEC would choose TCU over OSU. It's not that TCU would be bad for the conference but OSU has better facilities and is a new State.
My notion wasn't so much what the SEC would choose in isolation, but what could happen in a coordinated takedown of the Big12. It's more of a scenario that would occur prior to the expiration of the GoR. I agree that OSU would be more attractive on several levels - but I was also looking for a way to make the PAC happy enough to help gobble up enough schools to dissolve the conference. If everyone waits until the GoR expires, then all bets are off.

Of course, I also wonder what will happen as the GoR gets closer to expiration. If they just let it expire prior to renewal that would be a pretty loud "lame duck" signal, so I wonder if they'll extend it as the deadline approaches. We'll just have to see how eager they will be to keep their options open.

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - He1nousOne - 07-09-2013 04:42 PM

(07-09-2013 09:11 AM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 08:05 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  I don't see why the SEC would choose TCU over OSU. It's not that TCU would be bad for the conference but OSU has better facilities and is a new State.
My notion wasn't so much what the SEC would choose in isolation, but what could happen in a coordinated takedown of the Big12. It's more of a scenario that would occur prior to the expiration of the GoR. I agree that OSU would be more attractive on several levels - but I was also looking for a way to make the PAC happy enough to help gobble up enough schools to dissolve the conference. If everyone waits until the GoR expires, then all bets are off.

Of course, I also wonder what will happen as the GoR gets closer to expiration. If they just let it expire prior to renewal that would be a pretty loud "lame duck" signal, so I wonder if they'll extend it as the deadline approaches. We'll just have to see how eager they will be to keep their options open.

Ahh yes. I have a different theory on how that could happen and quite frankly some folks over on a certain Big 12 board absolutely hate it. So that makes me think it might be possible because of how livid it made them. 03-lmfao

What if Texas wanted a Notre Dame deal. All it really cares about is making money and having as much control as possible. It could go to ACC Bowls and if Texas did that, the ACC would get another boost from the Bowls just like it did after Notre Dame got on board. That still leaves the ACC at 14 though. If you are Texas you can probably massively leverage the ACC because the ACC knows Texas is the kingpin to this mass exodus happening. So Texas leverages for two Texas programs to be brought to the ACC. At the bargaining table I bet Baylor would be their choice they wouldnt be able to negotiate. I would bet that the ACC would then choose TCU over Texas Tech due to location. Flying into DFW would be easy for everyone.

Texas Tech could then pull a Texas A&M and become the Texas University of the PAC. That would put them on par with the other two especially if they end up in a four team division with the likes of ISU, KSU and Colorado. Tech will be a regular in a PAC tournament of division champs.

The PAC just isn't in a position of strength in this kind of scenario. During the Texoma-4 talks they had zero competition. During this scenario they would be competing against both the Big Ten and SEC. Also Texas has been very public about wanting to go East not West. That puts the ACC on par with the PAC in this scenario.

You may not think much of it, I would say that Kansas and Oklahoma would end up in the Big Ten though in a scenario where the Big 12 is voted apart.

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - MKPitt - 07-09-2013 05:31 PM

I could be wrong but I really doubt that the ACC would allow Texas to take partial membership. Notre Dame really was and is a special case that was meant to block the B1G from dominating New York and the northeast. Texas is just too big of an outlier.

Also, I think there's no way the Pac-12 is going to expand just to get Boise State or BYU or a mid-level BCS team. I really think the only possible way the Pac-12 expands is if Texas becomes interested again.

My guess is that 15 years from now even after the GOR's are up, most of the five conferences will still be the same unless Texas falls behind A&M because of the power of the SEC. If that does happen, then I expect Texas to try to go the B1G. It's no further than the PAC-12 which they were seriously considering.

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - He1nousOne - 07-09-2013 08:08 PM

(07-09-2013 05:31 PM)MKPitt Wrote:  I could be wrong but I really doubt that the ACC would allow Texas to take partial membership. Notre Dame really was and is a special case that was meant to block the B1G from dominating New York and the northeast. Texas is just too big of an outlier.

Also, I think there's no way the Pac-12 is going to expand just to get Boise State or BYU or a mid-level BCS team. I really think the only possible way the Pac-12 expands is if Texas becomes interested again.

My guess is that 15 years from now even after the GOR's are up, most of the five conferences will still be the same unless Texas falls behind A&M because of the power of the SEC. If that does happen, then I expect Texas to try to go the B1G. It's no further than the PAC-12 which they were seriously considering.

If the ACC signed Texas to a 5-6 game contract and included them in their Bowl line up then first off the ACC's clout in getting Bowls to want to sign with them goes up quite a bit. This scenario is about the Big 12 dissolving so that means a whole heap of bowls have openings to sign.

If the ACC acquiesced to Texas and signed the likes of Baylor and TCU then how is Texas an outlier? The ACC will have in one quick stroke become the Major Conference with the most Texas membership. That hardly makes for outlier status.

Notre Dame was special status to block the Big Ten? Ok great! How about special status of dissolving the Big 12 and having the Big Four conferences finally figured out? How about those conferences having their own football tournaments? How about those conferences having new rules for smaller divisions and better rivalries due to such, just like how rivalries mean more in the NFL?

How is breaking into Texas heavily, boosting the ACC's Bowl line up, boosting it's Network Contract payouts due to the massive viewership of the State of Texas and putting to rest the debate of who the Big 4 really is?

RE: I'm bored - realignment idea - nzmorange - 07-09-2013 08:10 PM

(07-09-2013 05:31 PM)MKPitt Wrote:  I could be wrong but I really doubt that the ACC would allow Texas to take partial membership. Notre Dame really was and is a special case that was meant to block the B1G from dominating New York and the northeast. Texas is just too big of an outlier.

I actually think that Texas objectively brings more than ND.

TX makes a lot more than ND (despite having weaker schedules), TX spends a lot more than ND, and TX is a more talent-rich area than ND. Obviously ND is private, eastern-oriented, and has rivalries with a number of ACC schools, so it is a better match for the ACC, but TX is objectively more valuable than ND. Even subjectively, it has to be essentially a wash.